Team-BHP - First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/85500-first-long-trip-bangalore-vijayawada-route-query-other-related-queries.html)

Hi,
I'm planning to go on my first long trip from Bangalore to Vijayawada next month.
I'm planning to take the following route :

Marathahalli - Whitefield - NH4 ( via Kolar, Chittoor ) - NH18 - NH205 ( Tirupati ) - NH5 ( via Nellore, Kavali, Ongole ) - Vijayawada.

So here are my queries :
1. Is this the best possible route or are there any other routes that i can check out?
2. What is the quality of the road?
3. How long will this trip take place? I intend to start early in the morning from Bangalore. How long will it take to reach Vijayawada, coz this is not the end of my journey ( but i dont need much help for the remaining part of my journey as i know the route quite well ) .
4. Since this will be my first long trip, what are the precautions i need to take?
5. What are the best places to refuel on the way ( I dont intend to carry too much cash so bunks where credit cards are accepted and bills are provided would be good. Also I'm planning to top up at Shell near whitefield while starting so where would be the best place to refuel? ) and what would be the best places to eat ?

I would be grateful if someone could help with these queries ( even general tips not pertaining to the route are welcome :) ) .
Thanks.

1. Is this the best possible route or are there any other routes that i can check out?
- This is the best route, I have done this route 4 times and recent being in April 2010.

Good to excellent,

stretch that irritates
4-Lane work till Kolar and after
Chittoor bypass, it's ok but bumpy
Tirupati Byepass till Nayadupeta (connection to NH5)

3. How long will this trip take place? I intend to start early in the morning from Bangalore. How long will it take to reach Vijayawada, coz this is not the end of my journey ( but i dont need much help for the remaining part of my journey as i know the route quite well ) .

Check below summary from my previous trip.

4. Since this will be my first long trip, what are the precautions i need to take?

Ensure your spare tyre is proper
Though it's NH5 and 4-laned from Nayadupeta, be very cautious with sudden moment on the road (cattle, morons driving,,)
Carry enough water
Refill either in Chittoor or Tirupati would be better, if can be stretched you can plan anywhere in NH5 depending on your FE.

5. What are the best places to refuel on the way ( I dont intend to carry too much cash so bunks where credit cards are accepted and bills are provided would be good. Also I'm planning to top up at Shell near whitefield while starting so where would be the best place to refuel? ) and what would be the best places to eat ?

You have lot of options, but I allways used cash and don't really have an idea on which fuel stations accept cards, but I guess at all major cities it should not be a problem.

Few of your queries should be answered here:

from my post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...s-heart-4.html

Left Bangalore on 2nd of April and returned on 5th.

Onward Journey:
---------------

Fuel was till the brim and tyre pressure checked previous night while travelling back from work. This route was done by me many times and hence nothing to check and plan.

Milestones:
-----------

Left at 4:30 AM
Tirupati : 7:30 AM
Kalahasti: 8:00 AM (Had breakfast in APTDC restaurant)
Hit NH5 : 9:00 AM
Destination : 1:30 PM

Actual plan was to have the breakfast just before Chitoor By-Pass, but the routine hotel has been closed for some reason and hence we stretched to
Kalahasti.

Road conditions:
----------------

Bangalore - Kolar, lot of deviations because of 4lane work.Road condition is pretty decent, but with lot's of humps.

Kolar - Tirupati, good, though you can make a visible difference once you enter AP, roads turn better.

Tirupati - Kalahasti, good

Kalahasti - Nayudupeta, good to average

NH5 Nayudupeta to Vijayawada, Excellent

statistics:
-----------
Total Time : 9 hrs
Break time : 30 minutes
Journey time : 8 hrs, 30 min
Total KM : 700 KM (approx)
Standard speed : 80-100 KMPH
Peak Speed : 120 KMPH
AC Usage : 50%

Return Journey:
---------------

Was alone as family had to stay back to attend a function.

Total time taken: 10hrs 30 mins ( had a pretty bad traffic jam in Kalahasti because of trucks parked either sides of the road)
Break Time : 0hrs 20min (for refuelling in Tirupati)

FE: ~15 KMPL

Thanks a lot :) . I'll update how the trip went.

Please remember to carry original documents-DL,RC & Insurance.Highway police insist on these and plus in case of breakdown,these are mandatory if you have to claim insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 1983432)
Please remember to carry original documents-DL,RC & Insurance.Highway police insist on these and plus in case of breakdown,these are mandatory if you have to claim insurance.

Yes I'll be taking these. I haven't got my insurance documents yet and only have the insurance cover note ( although i do expect to get it by the time of this trip ). Will this be ok ?

Also, how is the traffic on these roads? I intend to start around 5:30 AM in the morning. I guess I will encounter most of the volvo buses and inter state buses coming from Vijayawada and other nearby places during this time till Kolar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 1983517)
Yes I'll be taking these. I haven't got my insurance documents yet and only have the insurance cover note ( although i do expect to get it by the time of this trip ). Will this be ok ?

Also, how is the traffic on these roads? I intend to start around 5:30 AM in the morning. I guess I will encounter most of the volvo buses and inter state buses coming from Vijayawada and other nearby places during this time till Kolar.

More than traffic,it is the cattle that could cause problems for you,especially on the NH5 stretch from Nayudpeta to Vijayawada.The highway is notorious for them and surprisingly like one would see on other highways where the people taking the cattle out make an effort to clear the road,here they dont care a dime,they just let them wander about on the highway,after Tirupati,AFAIK,none of the pumps accept credit cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghu230506 (Post 1982129)
- This is the best route, I have done this route 4 times and recent being in April 2010.

Good to excellent,

stretch that irritates
4-Lane work till Kolar and after
Chittoor bypass, it's ok but bumpy
Tirupati Byepass till Nayadupeta (connection to NH5)

Hi, how is the route from Bangalore to Kolar now? Anybody travelled recently? How long does it take cover this stretch? Thanks.