Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 19:32   #1
BHPian

A bus query: Where to board bus for Calicut at Bangalore

Hi folks,

I have to go to Calicut in a couple of days to drive my Santro back home. This time I am planning to go by bus. The idea is to take an overnight Hyd-Blr bus, get down somewhere near Majestic in the morning, and board a Bangalore-Calicut bus from Majestic ( I have done this 3-4 times in the past - there were a couple of KeSRTC buses after 8 am or so.. ). In case I dont get a direct bus to Calicut, I will try a bus for Mysore and then try for a connection from there .

The last time I had done this was a couple of years back, and it worked perfectly. I could reach Calicut before 6 pm.

However, I heard from someone that the starting point for Mysore-Calicut bound buses has been shifted away from Majestic to a bus station in Mysore road.

Can anyone confirm this? Just needed to know if I can board the bus from Majestic, or whether I should find my way to the Mysore road bus stand. ( and how far is that, I have no idea... )

Help will be deeply appreciated!
Old 20th July 2010, 21:39   #2
BHPian

Bigzero,

As per my understanding still Karnataka RTC buses starting from Majestic Bus stand only. Other state buses are starting from Satellite Bus Stand in Mysore road. But you will get plenty of buses to this busstand from Majestic.

I am not sure if there is a private bus going to Calicut in the morning hours. You can just try this by calling PK travels (Kalasipalayam) - 080 26705844.

May be the members from Calicut can tell more about this

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 20th July 2010, 21:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

For morning buses from blr to calicut, you have to catch a Kerala SRTC bus. Its red in color, does not have windows, and flies two inches above the ground.
Usually makes a very loud noise too.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:01   #4
BHPian

Yes Bigzero, all buses to Calicut ( KSRTC and KeSRTC ) now start from Mysore road satellite bus station ( MCTC ). Tel - 080 26752888.

Location - Near gopalan mall and Big bazaar, New Timber yard layout on Mysore Road. There are many BMTC buses from Majestic to MCTC. distance by auto - approx 5 kms.

However, Airavat ( volvo) and other A/c buses start from majestic and have a pick up stop at MCTC.

hope this helps..
Old 20th July 2010, 22:03   #5
BHPian

Thanks folks for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Bigzero,

As per my understanding still Karnataka RTC buses starting from Majestic Bus stand only. Other state buses are starting from Satellite Bus Stand in Mysore road. But you will get plenty of buses to this busstand from Majestic.

Thanks
Rajesh
hmm.. let me see how it goes. Being the lazy type, I may be tempted to board a KaSRTC bus to Mysore from Majestic and then find a bus from there , if I find that KeSRTC buses dont start from Majestic. Let me see. Thanks for the advance warning!

I will check with PK travels too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For morning buses from blr to calicut, you have to catch a Kerala SRTC bus. Its red in color, does not have windows, and flies two inches above the ground.
Usually makes a very loud noise too.
Ha, ha! that was nice. I was a regular user of all kinds of buses in Kerala when I was a student there, and let me tell you, KSRTC drivers are angels when you compare them to the "Limited Stop" private buses. I believe there are threads dedicated to this anyway..

btw I did take the KeSRTC a few times from Blr to Calicut a couple of years back, and I thought they drove pretty decently.

Added:
Thanks Roamingrao for the additional information! that looks manageable.

Last edited by Bigzero : 20th July 2010 at 22:05.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Check in ksrtc.in. I did a couple of checks. There are no Volvo services, but Rajhamsa exective sleeper bus (2x2).
And both this service starts from Shantinagar BMTC terminal and not majestic.

Attached is the snapshot:

A bus query: Where to board bus for Calicut at Bangalore-ksrtc.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2010 at 22:15.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:22   #7
BHPian

Thanks ampere - those are night services, but I will be reaching Bangalore in the morning ( planning to catch an overnight bus from Hyderabad ). The Kerala State RTC website tells me that there is a bus at 8 am . I will try to get that ( if the Hyd-Blr bus reaches in time ).

Otherwise I will just hop to Mysore and then whatever bus I find going towards the direction of Calicut... am not in a big hurrry to reach there early, and quite ok to experiment and experience different buses :-)

Anyway let me see! will update on what options I took after I complete the trip.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Thanks ampere - those are night services, but I will be reaching Bangalore in the morning ( planning to catch an overnight bus from Hyderabad ). The Kerala State RTC website tells me that there is a bus at 8 am . I will try to get that ( if the Hyd-Blr bus reaches in time ).

Otherwise I will just hop to Mysore and then whatever bus I find going towards the direction of Calicut... am not in a big hurrry to reach there early, and quite ok to experiment and experience different buses :-)

Anyway let me see! will update on what options I took after I complete the trip.
I am aware there many buses to Waynad from Mysore. But not sure about Calicut. But these buses are pretty slow moving stopping at every town.
Not aware of an express service.
Old 21st July 2010, 00:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Check in ksrtc.in. I did a couple of checks. There are no Volvo services, but Rajhamsa exective sleeper bus (2x2).
And both this service starts from Shantinagar BMTC terminal and not majestic.
Both the K(ar)SRTC and K(er)SRTC websites show a number of buses on this route starting between 7PM and midnight. Wouldn't these buses be reaching the forest road between 9PM and 6AM ? Or is there an exemption for Govt. buses for the traffic closure ??
Old 21st July 2010, 10:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best way is to get down at Majestic. Catch a Volvo to Mysore. Catch any bus to Calicut from there. There should be more services from there than from Bangalore.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Both the K(ar)SRTC and K(er)SRTC websites show a number of buses on this route starting between 7PM and midnight. Wouldn't these buses be reaching the forest road between 9PM and 6AM ? Or is there an exemption for Govt. buses for the traffic closure ??
K(ar)SRTC as you said has around 3-5 services but only in the evenings. Also there is NO volvo service.

As Addy said you will get more services during the day from Mysore. Again not sure of a Volvo again. Thats what I mentioned in my previous post as well.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The best way is to get down at Majestic. Catch a Volvo to Mysore. Catch any bus to Calicut from there. There should be more services from there than from Bangalore.
Exactly what I am thinking. Thanks!

I booked a ticket for Bangalore tonight ( Sharma travels Volvo ) - hopefully an opportunity to put in a post in the Intercity bus review thread..

I am told that the bus will reach Bangalore by 6.30 am, but so far in my past trips, they have always delayed it too 7.30 am or beyond. Let me see.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Exactly what I am thinking. Thanks!

I booked a ticket for Bangalore tonight ( Sharma travels Volvo ) - hopefully an opportunity to put in a post in the Intercity bus review thread..

I am told that the bus will reach Bangalore by 6.30 am, but so far in my past trips, they have always delayed it too 7.30 am or beyond. Let me see.
At majestic you should get Volvos for Mysore every minute!
Old 25th July 2010, 21:20   #14
BHPian

@Bigzero: How did it all go?
Old 25th July 2010, 23:03   #15
BHPian

Everything went off as planned!

The Hyd-Blr bus dropped me at around 7.30 near Majestic- I took an auto to Majestic from there, took a small break and then boarded a Mysore Vlovo at around 8.30 or so. Reached Mysore a few min past 11, and I took another break there for some nice Dosas after which I boarded a KeSRTC LS FP for Kozhikode. Left Mysore at around 12 and reached Calicut at about half past five.

Overall, smooth journey, no problems finding seats etc.

Will post details and some pics in a separate thread. Thanks folks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks