Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 09:48   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi - Dharamshala : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
We are doing Ahmedabad-Dharamshala-Dalhousie-Amritsar-Ahmedabad around last week of December. We are taking the XUV FWD. Please suggest on
1. Which routes are preferred?
2. Will there be snow during this period and if yes, XUV FWD would be okay?
During April, we took the Jaipur - Rohtak - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Jalandhar - Amristar - Pathankot - Dalhousie - Dharamshala route.

For Dalhousie - Dharamshala we took the Lahru – Sihunta – (Shahpur – Chowari Rd) route, this was mixed with bad and good roads. You can check the below post for some pics,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4194449
Old 18th December 2017, 11:12   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, We are planning a trip to Palampur over the christmas weekend. The most frequented route on the net and the forum is the Delhi- Chandigarh - Una route. But a few people suggested that we can also try taking the Delhi - Ludhiana - Jalandhar- Pathankot - palampur route. The roads on the latter are flat and great and the climb to palampur is less steep. On the contrary the Una route has few areas of bad patches.

So which one is recommended? We are planning to take the 320d.
Old 22nd December 2017, 00:02   #93
BHPian

We did Ahmedabad-Panipat, about 1050 kms today. The best stretch of road trip was from around Rewari to Panipat. Tomorrow morning, will finish Karnal, Ambala, Una, Dharamshala.
Old 22nd December 2017, 00:16   #94
BHPian

Friends travelling to Dharamshala or Mcleodganj, please check this - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...rders-closure/
Many hotel has been shut down by the authority.

Last edited by Shivanshu : 22nd December 2017 at 00:17.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:58   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi, We are planning a trip to Palampur over the christmas weekend. The most frequented route on the net and the forum is the Delhi- Chandigarh - Una route. But a few people suggested that we can also try taking the Delhi - Ludhiana - Jalandhar- Pathankot - palampur route. The roads on the latter are flat and great and the climb to palampur is less steep. On the contrary the Una route has few areas of bad patches.

So which one is recommended? We are planning to take the 320d.
So a quick update post the trip. We decided to explore both routes and went via the shorter one i.e. through Delhi-rupnagar-Anandpur Sahib-Una-palampur and returned via Palampur - Pathankot - Jalandhar - Ludhiana - Delhi route which is approximately 100 kms more but offers you flat 4-6 lane highway and hence the time difference is hardly 20 mins between the 2 routes. Both routes are otherwise great in terms of road condition.
Old 15th May 2018, 05:25   #96
BHPian

Hi,

I was planning on taking a trip to Mcleodganj from Delhi. Google map recommends the usual Delhi - Chd - Hoshiarpur route.

1. Is there any better route you guys would recommend?
2. How are the roads and how steep is the final incline?
3. Does it make sense to cover the full distance in 1 day? Since we are in no rush and want to actually enjoy the journey, we were considering the possibility of staying over at some intermediate point. We have shortlisted Anandpur Sahib (have heard a lot about that place), any other suggestions?
4. Any extra precaution to be taken wrt the vehicle except the usual air pressure and oil check? Planning to take the Honda City.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:34   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
If you want to avoid narrow and steep climbs, then try to avoid the Jogibara road from Dharamshala to McLeod Ganj.

You can check my post here for some pics and video,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4194527
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 13:16   #98
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
Hi,

I was planning on taking a trip to Mcleodganj from Delhi. Google map recommends the usual Delhi - Chd - Hoshiarpur route.

1. Is there any better route you guys would recommend?
3. Does it make sense to cover the full distance in 1 day? Since we are in no rush and want to actually enjoy the journey, we were considering the possibility of staying over at some intermediate point. We have shortlisted Anandpur Sahib (have heard a lot about that place), any other suggestions?
4. Any extra precaution to be taken wrt the vehicle except the usual air pressure and oil check? Planning to take the Honda City.
1. Delhi - Ambala - Kharar - Una - Amb - Kangra - McLeod Ganj.

Through this route, you can avoid Chandigarh and save on time and some 20 odd Kms. No need to go to Hoshiarpur as well. From Una you could go to Amb, Dehra Gopipur and reach Kangra.

3. There are quite some places to see in Anadpur Sahib. The Gurdwara is very well lit in the night with all those laser lights. It looks beautiful and surreal. Onwards, you can visit the Nangal Dam (Photography is prohibited though). There are quite some picturesque sceneries in and around Nangal town. You can easily spend 3-4 hours by the river Sutlej dipping your feet in the ice cold waters and then commence your onward journey.

I'm not sure if there are good Hotels in AnadpurSahib though.
Old 27th June 2018, 22:25   #99
BHPian

Delhi-Dharamshala-Delhi Route Update:

Route: Delhi-Ambala-Phagwara-Hoshiarpur-Mubarikpur-Kangra Bypass-Dharamshala.
  • Quite a few diversions in place between Delhi and Ambala on NH-44.
  • Ambala to Phagwara is mostly 6 laned, flyovers are still under construction in Ludhiana.
  • Good 2 laned road between Phagwara to Mubarikpur.
  • Mubarikpur to Kangra, mostly good roads, fresh tarmac being laid down between Ranital and Chintpurni.
Route: Dharamshala-Mubarikpur-Pragpur-Kaloha-Amb-Una-Anandpur Sahib-Rupnagar-Kharar-Banur-Shambhu Barrier-Ambala-Delhi.
  • Took left towards pragpur to join Amb-Jwalaji highway, Pragpur road is good to what it was a year back, super 2 laned roads.
  • Kaloha to Amb is in excellent condition.
  • Amb to Shambhu barrier can take a lot of time depending upon the hour of the day, road is good till Rupnagar but passes thru some busy towns.
  • Flyover is being constructed at Kharar, there was B2B traffic and we wasted 20 mins to turn towards Banur. Kharar to Banur has a lot of potholes, slowed us down.
  • Took EPE from NH-44 to NH-34, took Duhai exit, toll @70/-. Exits are well marked, took us an hour from Sonipat to Indirapuram via EPE, Raj Nagar Extension.
Note: The turn towards Banur at Shambhu Barrier is blocked, you have to take a U-turn from the next flyover on NH-44 after the border, it is blocked due to the flyover construction.

Last edited by sinharishi : 27th June 2018 at 22:26.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 19:16   #100
BHPian

Guys, bumping up this thread. I am traveling to Dharamshala next week with my spouse and our dogs. While the route is straight forward, need clarity from recent travellers on this route to confirm if they have faced any issues due to the ongoing farmer agitation? If yes, are there is alternate route I can follow to reach Dharamshala?

Also, I will be breaking the journey around Chandigarh due to it being a long enough journey for the dogs. Any suggestions for a decent pet friendly hotel/ resort for night stay are welcome.
MNITDEVIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 13:07   #101
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to do Delhi-Dharamshala drive comfortably in one day? Are there any one way self drive car rental agencies available to pick up a car in Delhi NCR area and drop off in Dharamshala?

Thanks!
Old 4th July 2022, 16:42   #102
BHPian

Hi - any updates on this route. How are the roads?

Was on a trip to Manali where the roads are horrible. Is it similar on this route or better?
Old 7th August 2022, 22:00   #103

Hello everyone,

I am planning to go for a vacation to Dharamshala from Delhi with family. Can anyone suggest me the route which i shoud take and what are the current route conditions?
Old 7th August 2022, 23:41   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msonwheels View Post
Hello everyone,

I am planning to go for a vacation to Dharamshala from Delhi with family. Can anyone suggest me the route which i shoud take and what are the current route conditions?
Take the NH1 till Ambala, then follow Google maps through Kiratpur Sahib and Kangra. It’s a straightforward drive with 80% plains and can be comfortably done in 10-12 hours depending on the duration of your stops.
Old 25th December 2022, 17:24   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
If you want to avoid narrow and steep climbs, then try to avoid the Jogibara road from Dharamshala to McLeod Ganj
Google Maps shows these two routes from Dharamshala to McLeod Ganj. Which is the one to take in order to avoid the steep and narrow climbs via Jogibara? Thanks

Delhi - Dharamshala : Route Queries-screenshot_20221225172231_maps.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks