Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 13:39   #1

Delhi to pantnagar by car.

Hello bhp-ians !!!

May the torque be with you !!

I have to go to Pantnagar from Delhi on a saturday morning and return by sunday night.
I searched about train and bus routes but nothing fits the timeframe.
I am thinking about taking my Verna on the route
delhi > ghaziabad > moradabad > rampur > pantnagar.

Now i want to ask, is the route safe ?? as I ll be driving alone and I am a bit apprehensive about the safety on this route...

To all those people who have been there by road can you share your experiences ??? That will be very helpful.

Thanks !
Old 26th July 2010, 16:56   #2

please friends help me out ! its really urgent !
its my girl i have to go and meet !
Old 27th July 2010, 18:22   #3
BHPian

No issues with the route, except these:

try and cross Gajraula before it gets dark on Sunday.
EDIT: be vary of the diversions after Hapur till Gajraula & be careful while driving through them.

Cheers!

Last edited by lordofgondor : 27th July 2010 at 18:24.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:12   #4
BHPian

Hi Gearhead,

This road is absolutely safe at all times. I have umpteen times on the same route and can vouch for it's safety.

I'd suggest that you leave as early as possible on Saturday morning and cross Garhmukteshwar by 6-7 AM. After that take the Moradabad bye-pass, turn right from Rampur, go to Rudrapur via Bilaspur and then straight to Pantnagar. Earlier the single lane Bilaspur bridge used to be a jam-magnet, but even that have been doubled now.

On Sunday morning, if you leave by 5-6 PM, you can be back in Delhi by 12.

If you need to know anything else about Pantnagar, just ask :-)

Nitin
Old 28th July 2010, 10:26   #5

Thanks a lot to all!!

Hey Nitin, are the hotels in Pantnagar good ?? I searched and found out that Ginger is there and I am thinking of staying there.

Whenever you go there do you drive or take a bus ?? As time passes I believe I ll have to take a bus ! :-) so are there any good AC bus services ??

I have to go to SIDCUL and then head to my hotel.

Thanks a lot !!

Himanshu Gupta.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Hey Nitin, are the hotels in Pantnagar good ?? I searched and found out that Ginger is there and I am thinking of staying there.

Whenever you go there do you drive or take a bus ?? As time passes I believe I ll have to take a bus ! :-) so are there any good AC bus services ??

I have to go to SIDCUL and then head to my hotel.
Hi Himanshu,

I used to go to Pantnagar by buses/trains during my Engineering days (1994-98), after that is has always been cars. And it's a good drive. If you are fond of driving, you will enjoy it. However if you want to go by bus, there are many AC buses plying to Nainital, take one of those and get down at Rudrapur. From there, Pantnagar University is 13 KMs and SIDCUL 4 KMs.

BTW, is your girl in SIDCUL or Univ; if it is the latter, I'd suggest you stay in the Lambert's guest house in the Univ campus. It is AC and very well maintained. However is she is in SIDCUL, Ginger is the best option.

Nitin
Old 28th July 2010, 12:30   #7

Hello again Sir,

I just passed out as an engineer ! She is at Tata there and I plan to give her a surprise visit !
Yes, I live to drive and its nice to hear that its a nice drive ! So i ll definitely drive !

Can you tell me if the highways are safe for high speed fun ? I used to do about 150-160 kph on NH1 (passed out from NIT-Kurukshetra). Is the traffic suitable for these speeds or shall I be extra careful and be leashed ??

Thanks a lot sir, seriously !

I cudnt find a single intelligent reply on the whole bloody net and then the good ol' team bhp (and the engineer's camaraderie !!) saved me.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Hello again Sir,

I just passed out as an engineer ! She is at Tata there and I plan to give her a surprise visit !
Yes, I live to drive and its nice to hear that its a nice drive ! So i ll definitely drive !

Can you tell me if the highways are safe for high speed fun ? I used to do about 150-160 kph on NH1 (passed out from NIT-Kurukshetra). Is the traffic suitable for these speeds or shall I be extra careful and be leashed ??

Thanks a lot sir, seriously !

I cudnt find a single intelligent reply on the whole bloody net and then the good ol' team bhp (and the engineer's camaraderie !!) saved me.
Hi Buddy,

That's what team-bhp is all about :-)

These roads are fun to drive on, and safe to drive on but aren't really meant for high speeds (except Delhi-Hapur stretch). Most of the rest is single-laned and speeding isn't at all recommended.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 28th July 2010, 13:54   #9
BHPian

@gearhead

If you are planning to stay overnight there then I would suggest that you drive down to haldwani from there. Its hardly 30 min ride (and pretty straight one too) and you can get a wide variety of decent hotels to choose from. Additionally I would second ntomer (sir's) advice on not speeding on those roads.

@ntomer: I also passed out from pantnagar albeit a bit later (2001-2005) hence the aforementioned 'Sir'

Most Viewed