Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 14:15   #16
BHPian

I did that stretch last week and no sign of any construction activity.

Toll rates in Maharashtra has been increased anyway. Kini and Taswade charge Rs.52 instead of earlier Rs.46. Pune to Satara has not been increased and not a surprise that they are doing now.

Nainar
Old 7th September 2010, 14:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I recollect reading in today's newspaper that the toll rates on NH4 between Pune and Satara are going to be increased. 6 laning of this stretch will commence within a month.

I guess we should start budgeting for some additional time in this stretch. Has anybody who travelled on this sector recently seen any signs of road building activity?
I travelled 4 days ago from Bombay to Satara, no signs of any construction activity.
Old 7th September 2010, 18:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I travelled 4 days ago from Bombay to Satara, no signs of any construction activity.
But theoretically speaking need is definitely there for NH4. Planning is horrible in that case, where 4L is just functional.
And then again public starts reeling under diversions for a 6L construction.

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2010 at 18:40.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:03   #19
BHPian

The easiest they can do is to increase toll booths. That will improve the situation to a great extent. Our netas/bureaucrats need lessons on Pareto analysis. Doing that will significantly reduce non productive time on roads with lesser investment.

I really dont think that this stretch needs 6 lanes. The traffic density is not that high to warrant 6 lanes. With 4 lanes itself one is able to get @ 80kmph average speed and what will 6 lanes achieve?

Nainar
Old 21st November 2010, 17:24   #20
BHPian

Another alternative road from Kolhapur to goa.

Hello all,
I know it is too late to reply this thread but might help the guys taking cues from this thread in future. In fact, I jumped on this thread trying to take cues from someone having done kolhapur-goa-cochin-kanyakumari and back trail. Anyways
As discussed here, there are three different routes for Kolhapur-Goa stretch. All of them have some pro and cons.
To me Kolhapur - gaganbavada- kanakavali has been favourite. The ghat section is too small. Kop-radhanagari route is quite scenic but longer ghat sections.
For speed seekers it has to be kolhapur amboli sawantwadi goa one.

However do not take Tawandi diversion as discussed here. Instead continue toward bangalore after crossing tavandi. There is a diversion just prior town named Sankeshwar for GADHINGLAJ. The diversion is quite clearly marked. Take the diversion to gadhinglaj where you find some good restaurants and all make fuel bunks. The same route continues to amboli to which the diversion from tavandi joins. This is much much better stretch.

My 2 cents on where to eat. I have spent almost 8 yrs in this area and have travelled mentioned segment something like once a week and below is my suggestion.
Instead of having meals at Kamat Amboli, if someone wants try something authentic mlavani non-veg then once you are in Sawantwadi, just prior bus stand you w'd find a cross road. At the cross road ask for head post office which is third building from the cross road. If you are reaching from Amboli then you continue straight if from kanakavali take right at cross road.
About 50 m on there is a basic place rather a mess called Narvekar mess (board sports Narvekar's special Sayali Khanaval). Take my word you can't find tastier fish than this ever in life. If you are vegetarian freak then instead of turning at cross road continue towards lake. Just prior royal palace, there is a small road turning left. From this point abt 50m on you w'd find a place by Name Sadhale Khanaval (meaning Sadhale mess) very very decent vegetarian full square meals.(No a-la-carte)
Anyways cheers.
Old 27th February 2011, 17:47   #21
BHPian

Re: NH4 and NH17 updates??

Hi friends.
I'm planning to drive down from Mumbai to Mangalore next week via the expressway-NH4-NH63-NH17 route.
Would like to know if conditions of the NH17 south of the NH17-NH63 junction at Ankola towards Mangalore are good for driving. Are there any bad stretches at the moment?
Also if anyone can let me know the current status of NH63, it would be nice.Thank you.
Old 27th February 2011, 19:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

4 and 63 would be good. The problem would be with 17.

- 4 Laning near Udupi
- Bad roads at Baindur.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Hi friends.
I'm planning to drive down from Mumbai to Mangalore next week via the expressway-NH4-NH63-NH17 route.
Would like to know if conditions of the NH17 south of the NH17-NH63 junction at Ankola towards Mangalore are good for driving. Are there any bad stretches at the moment?
Also if anyone can let me know the current status of NH63, it would be nice.Thank you.
NH4 excellent
NH63 excellent.Though the Hubli bypass will be crowded and bad traffic
Between Bhatkal & Marvanthe bad roads.
Between Kundapur & Mangalore 4 laning and very dense traffic and bad road quality.

Mumbai-Hubli would take you around 10-11hours
Hubli-Ankola:3-4hours
Ankola-Kundapur:3hours
Kundapur-mlore:3-4hours

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 27th February 2011 at 23:17.
Old 1st March 2011, 15:46   #24
BHPian

Hi,
Planning a B'lore - Shiridi - Mumbai - Bangalore trip.
Request updates road conditions for the following sectors:
NH 13 Chitradurga - Solapur
NH 9 Solapur - Tenbhumi
Tenbhumi - Ahmadnagar - Shiridi
Shiridi [FONT=Arial]– Loni – Sangamner – Jamgaon - [FONT=Arial]Ghoti – Mumbai (or suggest best alternative route to Mumbai)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Thanks ![/FONT][/FONT]
Old 1st March 2011, 18:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

NH13 continues to be bad.
Luckily, most of the widening work on NH9 happens beyond Tembhurni.
The appropriate route to go to Bombay from Shirdi is via Sinnar & Nashik. Avoid Ghoti route, still has bad sections. Shirdi-Sinnar road is also in bad shape thanks to widening.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The appropriate route to go to Bombay from Shirdi is via Sinnar & Nashik. Avoid Ghoti route, still has bad sections. Shirdi-Sinnar road is also in bad shape thanks to widening.
HVK. What is the traffic density on NH13? Is it low, because the road is bad or just that roads are not used both by passengers as well as goods?

Why is that such a long highway, still does come under the anvil of state and central government for repairs ? I guess the main reason is no freight on this sector.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:10   #27
BHPian

HVK: Many thanks.
Will travel to Shiridi via Pune and on to Mumbai via Nasik
Old 1st March 2011, 19:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
HVK. What is the traffic density on NH13? Is it low, because the road is bad or just that roads are not used both by passengers as well as goods?

Why is that such a long highway, still does come under the anvil of state and central government for repairs ? I guess the main reason is no freight on this sector.
NH13 is a truck highway, choked up with them. It is the most popular route from South to Central and also some parts of North India, being the shortest route to Indore & Agra. Hence, all truckers take this route from Bangalore/Salem side. For them, NH13 from Chitradurga takes them via Hospet, Bijapur, Solapur, Tembhurni, Karmala, Ahmednagar, Shirdi, Manmad to NH3 (Indore/Agra) and from Dhulia to Surat (NH8).

I think the road is simply not designed for the heavy traffic it is taking nowadays, and NHAI has not bothered to upgrade the road (wither in strengthening it or widening it). Maybe that is because it does not connect any major cities and hapless truckers don''t matter anyway to them, it seems!

But all NHs are funded by Central-State, and NH13 is no exception.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:37   #29
Team-BHP Support

If its so full of trucks, its all the more a reason for NHAI to look at it for upgradation ! Here the logic seems to be on the opposite!

Not sure when with center will wake on NH13.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
HVK: What is your take on : Shiridi - Sangamner - Pimpalwadi - Malshej Ghat -Kalyan - Mumbai, since Shirdi-Sinnar road is also in bad shape ?
Thanks, RS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks