Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 16:24   #1
BHPian

NH4 and NH17 updates??

Hi, am travelling to Jog via kolhapur-belgaum on the 28th and returning via Goa-Konkan by the 1st ...are the highways fine or any waterlogging still?
Old 26th July 2010, 17:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

NH4 is OK. NH17 condition was OK till last week, but I have no idea if the water-logging earlier this week has damaged the roads. Even if it has, it is likely to be of limited impact.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

Nh4 should as HVK said should be fine. You see more issues with NH17 in South Kanara district. Nh63/NH17 should be OK I have not majors on the sector that you are planning to drive on.

Not sure about the Goa-Bombay section.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:16   #4
BHPian

Bombay - South Goa run : route

hvk,
Hope you are doing fine.
Where is your next expedition happening?

Please vet the following route that I propose to take on a Bombay - South Goa run in August :

Bombay - Pune Expressway - NH4 (past Hinjewadi) -Shindevadi -Kapurhol-Surur-Satara-Kashil-Umbraj-Peth-leave NH4 to enter Kolhapur-SH115 (past Rankala Lake) - Nandgaon-Titha -Sawantwadi-past Pernem Rly Stn-Bardez-Penha de Franca-Margao.

The other routes are (probably - one through Amboli and the other through Belgaum. Which has the best roads as I would like to start from Bombay at 6 am and would like to reach before nightfall.

Regards

P.S. :

1. I am also thinking of visiting the Mahalaxmi temple in Kolhapur, so I have to factor in an hours' extra time for it.
2. How good is the BPCL COCO pump at the point where the NH4 from Katraj rejoins the Mumbai-Pune bypass road after Hinjewadi?

Last edited by issigonis : 26th July 2010 at 19:17. Reason: Corrected mistakes
Old 26th July 2010, 21:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

Bombay - Pune Expressway - NH4 (past Hinjewadi) -Shindevadi -Kapurhol-Surur-Satara-Kashil-Umbraj-Peth-leave NH4 to enter Kolhapur-SH115 (past Rankala Lake) - Nandgaon-Titha -Sawantwadi-past Pernem Rly Stn-Bardez-Penha de Franca-Margao.

The other routes are (probably - one through Amboli and the other through Belgaum. Which has the best roads as I would like to start from Bombay at 6 am and would like to reach before nightfall.

Regards

P.S. :

1. I am also thinking of visiting the Mahalaxmi temple in Kolhapur, so I have to factor in an hours' extra time for it.
2. How good is the BPCL COCO pump at the point where the NH4 from Katraj rejoins the Mumbai-Pune bypass road after Hinjewadi?
Which is this route you are taking from Kolhapur? I know the 3 - via Malkapur to Pali, Gaganbawda to Talere and Radhanagari/Dajipur to Phonda/Nandgaon. I presume you are taking the last. This road was definitely in great shape before the rains, but I have no idea how it is now.

The Amboli route means facing some 10-15 kms of bad roads between Nippani and Ajra. The NH4A route via Belgaum and Anmod is great now.

Whichever route you take, you should do Bombay-Goa in under 10 hours. Add 1 hour to reach Madgaon.

Kolhapur temple can sometimes be very crowded, and if it is a bad day, you can end up waiting upto 3 hours for darshan. However, there are lots of people who arrange quicker darshan for a small fee (you will find them hanging around the car parking lot).

I don't know about the BPCL pump you mention, but there is a good HPCL pump (and also Shell) after crossing the Hinjewadi flyover towards Bombay.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in case you miss the Shell after Hinjewadi,there is another Shell after the new katraj tunnel towards Kolhapur,on your left
Old 27th July 2010, 09:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
in case you miss the Shell after Hinjewadi,there is another Shell after the new katraj tunnel towards Kolhapur,on your left
Mate, the Shell pump your are mentioning is closed, I dont know why. It used to be my usual tank up point for the last two years. Last two times I kept driving hoping that this pump will be open only to find that it is closed and fill at the BP next which also seems to be nice. They also have a McDonalds.

I see one more Shell under construction in Warje, below the Warje flyover, next to BP pump. It has been so for the last three months and dont know when they will open.

Nainar
Old 27th July 2010, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Which is this route you are taking from Kolhapur? I know the 3 - via Malkapur to Pali, Gaganbawda to Talere and Radhanagari/Dajipur to Phonda/Nandgaon. I presume you are taking the last. This road was definitely in great shape before the rains, but I have no idea how it is now.

The Amboli route means facing some 10-15 kms of bad roads between Nippani and Ajra. The NH4A route via Belgaum and Anmod is great now.

Whichever route you take, you should do Bombay-Goa in under 10 hours. Add 1 hour to reach Madgaon.

Kolhapur temple can sometimes be very crowded, and if it is a bad day, you can end up waiting upto 3 hours for darshan. However, there are lots of people who arrange quicker darshan for a small fee (you will find them hanging around the car parking lot).

I don't know about the BPCL pump you mention, but there is a good HPCL pump (and also Shell) after crossing the Hinjewadi flyover towards Bombay.
hvk,

Thank you for the inputs.
Google Map tells me (subject to confirmation from you!) that there are these routes from Kolhapur (NH4) to Margao :

1. Kolhapur - on SH115- Gaganbavda-Talere ST bus stand (rejoin NH17 here) -Nandgaon Titha (Nandgaon)- Kankavli - continue on NH17 at Kasal ST bus stand-continue on NH17 at Banda ST bus stand-Sawantwadi-Margao

2. from Kolhapur - on NH4 -past Nipani on NH4-Belgaum-take NH4A-take Sawantwadi Road -meet the Amboli Ajra Road - Amboli- SH121 (Amboli Road)-meet the NH17 before Sawantwadi-NH17- Margao

3. from Kolhapur - on NH4 -past Nipani on NH4-leave NH4 for Nipani Ajra Link Road, right fork, after Tawandi- turn right to join the Amboli-Gadhinglaj Road-Ajra- Amboli Ajra Road-join Sawantwadi Road/SH121-Amboli-SH121- meet the NH17 before Sawantwadi-NH17- Margao

The third route seems to pass through uninhabited places, after exiting from the NH4 till about Amboli.

So it seems based on your comments, that I have a clear choice between routes 1 & 2.

Regards

P.S. :
I got the BPCL COCO pump info. from Google Maps- it is on the LHS coming from Chandni Chowk side, just before the road is joined by the NH4 coming from Katraj.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

GM missed out the best route of them all: Kolhapur-Belgaum-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod-Molem-Ponda-Panaji. That is my first choice.

Google Maps also missed out the other beautiful route, Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Dajipur-Talere route.

The Route 1 is avoidable because there are reports of heavy flooding in the last 2-3 days in that area and it is uncertain what damage has occurred to culverts, embankments, etc.

I would also take the route that turns off NH4 at Tawandi Ghat (Hotel Kaveri), goes via Ajra and Amboli to Sawantwadi and Panaji. The first 15 kms from NH4 till Ajra will be bad though.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:11   #10
BHPian

hvk,

Thank you for the advice. I'll check out your first choice, via Belgaum-Khanapur-Anmod.

Guess if I start at 6 am from Bombay, and allot one hour for visiting the Mahalaxmi temple in Kolhapur, with three other stops ( tea, breakfast & lunch), I will be able to reach South Goa in about 12 hours' time.

I don't fly low and slow down invariably at crossroads/villages/hamlets/places of traffic and take them at about 60-70 kmph if the roads are as good as the GQ between Ahmedabad and Udaipur.

Will also check out the pros & cons of my route #3, viz. through Tawandi (Ghat?).

Any advice on petrol pumps enroute? I always fill up with plain diesel, prefer COCOs if there are any and ask the attendant to keep his hands off the dispenser ( in the auto mode). I will start from Bombay with an almost full tank - range would be about 650 kms to empty.

Regards
Old 27th July 2010, 13:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I normally refuel at the PCL pump at Khalapur, immediately after the first toll gate on Pune expressway. Konduskar's after Kolhapur is a good fuel station.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:38   #12
BHPian

@HV...guess its a stupid query...but i want to know how to get on to the Mumbai -Pune expressway from Ghodbunder Road.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
hvk,

Will also check out the pros & cons of my route #3, viz. through Tawandi (Ghat?).

Any advice on petrol pumps enroute? I always fill up with plain diesel, prefer COCOs if there are any and ask the attendant to keep his hands off the dispenser ( in the auto mode). I will start from Bombay with an almost full tank - range would be about 650 kms to empty.

Regards
#3 is not really uninhabited. Like HVK said some parts of the roads upto Ajra could be with potholes but not really bad. You also have a nice Vittal Kamat hotel in Amboli where you can stop for food.

With a range of 630km your best bet would be to fill at Pune and that should take you all the way to Goa without any worries. Konduskar at Kohlapur is another option.

Nainar
Old 27th July 2010, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I normally refuel at the PCL pump at Khalapur, immediately after the first toll gate on Pune expressway. Konduskar's after Kolhapur is a good fuel station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
#3 is not really uninhabited. Like HVK said some parts of the roads upto Ajra could be with potholes but not really bad. You also have a nice Vittal Kamat hotel in Amboli where you can stop for food.

With a range of 630km your best bet would be to fill at Pune and that should take you all the way to Goa without any worries. Konduskar at Kohlapur is another option.

Nainar
>>> Thank you, both of you.

Will decide on one of the two routes as I still have some time to ponder.
Re. petrol pumps, if I take the Belgaum-Khanapur-Anmod route ( basically the NH4A), will refuel at Konduskar, else will try my luck at a pump on the bypass road after exiting from the Expressway.

The range of 650 kms will likely extend as the car goes through the Expressway (less fuel consumption).

Regards
Old 7th September 2010, 13:53   #15
BHPian

I recollect reading in today's newspaper that the toll rates on NH4 between Pune and Satara are going to be increased. 6 laning of this stretch will commence within a month.

I guess we should start budgeting for some additional time in this stretch. Has anybody who travelled on this sector recently seen any signs of road building activity?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks