Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 19:26   #1
BHPian

A Hill Station around Delhi for 5 days in September

Hi All,

After seeing numerous trvelogues (especially Bharat's, Tanveer's and Ramky's) on TeamBHP, my plans were to do Leh this time, but due to time crunch, I need to change my destination.

Please suggest me a good peaceful destination around Delhi for 5 days. I know that we can not visit a place covered with snow in these timelines, but the weather should be good. We should be able to cover the distance in a single day. There can be sight seeing for 2-3 days and not daily.

Destinations which are out of bounds:
- Simla, Chail, Kasauli, Dalhousie, Khajjiar, Dharamshala, Manali, Mussorie and Nainital.

Destinations which are under consideration:
- Auli and Kanatal in UK
- Kinnaur, Pooh, Nako, Sangla, Kalpa, Sarahan and Chitkul in HP

Few Stats:

Starting from - Delhi
Tentative date - Aug last or Sep first week
Days in hand - 5
Car - Accent CRDi
Occupants - 3

Queries

1. Best place to visit in early September
2. Best possible route
3. Mobile connectivity
4. Any pointers towards accomodation

Thanks a lot!
IRISH

MODS: I tried searching too many threads, but couldn't get all the details for the desired destination.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

I am not aware of much of UK. But about himachal, Kinnaur(sangla valley, chitkul etc.,) are a good bet.
You will need 15 hours of driving to reach Sangla from Delhi.
As for mobiles, BSNL works everywhere, and Airtel definitely works in Kalpa. Plenty of STD booths around too.
Route is okay, with last 20kms before the turnoff to sangla bad. Road to sangla is broken tarmac.
I am not sure what the rains would have done, but in september, you are mostly free of rains.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:50   #3
BHPian

Hey Irish, Kinnaur any day is a good place to unwind & explore.

In UK, I'd recommend driving to Chaukori and onwards to Munsiyari. They are beautiful and peaceful places. If you're lucky, you will be greeted with amazing views of the greater Himalayas and it's snow covered peaks. Delhi-Chaukori is a comfy 12-14 hours drive and Chaukori-Munsiyari is 4-5 hours. Do mind that this will entail lot of hill driving, but the roads are good.

Or you can do Mukteshwar & Chaukori. Delhi-Muk'war is ~8 hours and Muk'war - Chaukori is 4-5 hours.

In HP, you can also check out Kharapathar and onwards to Rohru. I don't know if Chansal Pass is open during the time you are holidaying, but if it is, you can go for a hike.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
In UK, I'd recommend driving to Chaukori and onwards to Munsiyari. They are beautiful and peaceful places. If you're lucky, you will be greeted with amazing views of the greater Himalayas and it's snow covered peaks. Delhi-Chaukori is a comfy 12-14 hours drive and Chaukori-Munsiyari is 4-5 hours. Do mind that this will entail lot of hill driving, but the roads are good.
I too was going to suggest the same. I went there on a 5 days' vacation last month; and really liked these places.

Nitin
Old 27th July 2010, 18:25   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am not aware of much of UK. But about himachal, Kinnaur(sangla valley, chitkul etc.,) are a good bet.
You will need 15 hours of driving to reach Sangla from Delhi.
As for mobiles, BSNL works everywhere, and Airtel definitely works in Kalpa. Plenty of STD booths around too.
Route is okay, with last 20kms before the turnoff to sangla bad. Road to sangla is broken tarmac.
I am not sure what the rains would have done, but in september, you are mostly free of rains.
Thanks Tanveer. If HP is finalised then I am planing to go to Kalpa and stay at Hotel Kinner Kailash or Kailash Cottages and then trips to Chitkul, Sangla etc. Hope the accomodation will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey Irish, Kinnaur any day is a good place to unwind & explore.

Or you can do Mukteshwar & Chaukori. Delhi-Muk'war is ~8 hours and Muk'war - Chaukori is 4-5 hours.

In HP, you can also check out Kharapathar and onwards to Rohru. I don't know if Chansal Pass is open during the time you are holidaying, but if it is, you can go for a hike.
Thanks LOG. If UK is finalised then it will be Chaukori and Munsyari. First of all which is the best destination to stay i.e. Chaukori or Munsyari? Shall we go for some private accomodation (like Ojaswi Resort in Chaukori) or go for KMVN (available at both the places)?

By the way, what would be your preferrence in terms of scenic beauty - Kalpa / chitkul in HP or Chaukori / Munsyari in UK?
Old 27th July 2010, 19:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Thanks LOG. If UK is finalised then it will be Chaukori and Munsyari. First of all which is the best destination to stay i.e. Chaukori or Munsyari? Shall we go for some private accomodation (like Ojaswi Resort in Chaukori) or go for KMVN (available at both the places)?

By the way, what would be your preferrence in terms of scenic beauty - Kalpa / chitkul in HP or Chaukori / Munsyari in UK?
Stay at both places. Drive from Delhi to Chaukori on day-1; stay there for a night, and on the next day drive to Munsiyari. At both places, KMVNs have the best locations and are highly recommended.

Nitin
Old 27th July 2010, 21:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you are planning to do HP I suggest Sandhanshu at the base of Chanshal Pass. These days the road is open up and beyond the pass and there are numerous places to trek to and wander around in the forest for 3 4 days. The place is beyond Rohru and very much a single day drive from Delhi if you leave early. In case interested let me know will post the route details.

Kalpa/Chitkul are way better than UK destinations as a overall package, but I suggest try the off beat locations in HP, they are way better than your expectations.
Old 27th July 2010, 21:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hmm Chansal. Interesting option, but not everyones cup of tea.
WE managed through snow on pure will power(indica is not 4wd), but were thwarted by a broken tree
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...sal-ghati.html (A Wild Wild ride to the Mighty Chansal Ghati)
Old 28th July 2010, 00:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Stay at both places. Drive from Delhi to Chaukori on day-1; stay there for a night, and on the next day drive to Munsiyari. At both places, KMVNs have the best locations and are highly recommended.

Nitin
Thanks Nitin. If it is UK this time then it will be definately Chaukori and Munsiyari. And also thanks for giving the info on the KMVNs at both the places. Will try to stay 2 nights at each of these locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
If you are planning to do HP I suggest Sandhanshu at the base of Chanshal Pass. These days the road is open up and beyond the pass and there are numerous places to trek to and wander around in the forest for 3 4 days. The place is beyond Rohru and very much a single day drive from Delhi if you leave early. In case interested let me know will post the route details.

Kalpa/Chitkul are way better than UK destinations as a overall package, but I suggest try the off beat locations in HP, they are way better than your expectations.
Actually not everybody among us will be interested in trekking. Is it okay otherwise? Can we spend 4 - 5 days here?

Is this route to Chansal okay? -
Solan – Rajgarh – Chaila – Kharapatthar – Rohru – Chirgaon – Larote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hmm Chansal. Interesting option, but not everyones cup of tea.
WE managed through snow on pure will power(indica is not 4wd), but were thwarted by a broken tree
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...sal-ghati.html (A Wild Wild ride to the Mighty Chansal Ghati)
Thanks Tanveer. I think the road conditions to Chansal are not very good. Accent will be able to do it?
Old 28th July 2010, 10:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

I did it in an indica, and we went to within few kms of the pass. I think unless there is a major mudslide or something, you will also be able to do it.
BTW, I would suggest either Kinnaur or Tirthan valley, as Rohru side is not every exciting or scenic, according to my personal opinion.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Munsiyari will provide you with closer views of the snow covered Himalayas as compared to Chaukori. Otherwise, they're both pretty beautiful & peaceful places. The drive from Chaukori to Munsiyari is a splendid one, especially if you find clear skies.

If the skies are clear, I'd pick Chaukori/Munsiyari over Kalpa/Chitkul. Reason being, the views that you get from the former are not possible from the latter. Only catch is that if the weather is/stays cloudy, you will miss the views.

Quote:
Actually not everybody among us will be interested in trekking. Is it okay otherwise? Can we spend 4 - 5 days here?

Is this route to Chansal okay? -
Solan – Rajgarh – Chaila – Kharapatthar – Rohru – Chirgaon – Larote
If not interested in trekking, I'd suggest that you skip this place.

EDIT: KMVN would be the best option to stay IMO. There hotels are built at spots with the best views and also the service is decent.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 28th July 2010 at 10:55.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yups I agree if you are not interested in walking around then skip this side. Again then even Tirthan is good if you walk around. Otherwise, will suggest Kalpa, Rekongpeo, Sarahan.
Old 31st July 2010, 06:35   #13
BHPian

Kinnaur any day

I have done this till chitkul.
Day 1 : Delhi to Narkanda, stay at PWD GH,its fab
Day 2 :Narkanda to Raksham ,it is 10 kms before chitkul ,stay at PWD GH(it is at the brink of baspa river surrounded by the hills from all sides,nice 2 rooms cottage.Wife of caretaker makes very good food).I can post photos of Raksham if you want.
Day 3ay trip to chitkul,night stay at Raksham.
day 4:Raksham to kalpa( I didn't go there because of time constraints)
day 5: kalpa to Delhi (although it will be a long drive)

If you can add one more day you can stay at Sarahan on your return journey,it is worth visiting and your travel time will be divided in 2 days.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:37   #14

Re: A Hill Station around Delhi for 5 days in September

Hi Guys,

We(me and my wife) are planning a trip to Munsyari for 6days (26th-31st march).
Plan is as follows:
26th march -leave Gurgaon at 3:00am and reach Binsar kmvn TRH before 5pm.
27th march - Binsar to Chaukori
28th march - Chaukori to Munsiyari.
29th march - Munsyari (Local site seeing etc.)
30th march - Munsyari to Naukuchiatal
31st march - Naukuchiatal to Gurgaon.

I have made bookings at TRH Binsar and Chaukori. Called up the manager at kmvn TRH munsyari, was told that rooms are not ready as sewer line was getting changed. Are there any other reccomended stay options at Munsiyari?

Hope to get some nice clear views of himalayas.

Kindly suggest me if any change in plan is required. I will be taking my punto MJD 2012 and which route to take according to the current road conditons. Is the one though kashipur good ?

Thanks in advance
Old 20th March 2013, 12:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Hill Station around Delhi for 5 days in September

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar_anupam View Post
Hi Guys,

We(me and my wife) are planning a trip to Munsyari for 6days (26th-31st march).
Plan is as follows:
26th march -leave Gurgaon at 3:00am and reach Binsar kmvn TRH before 5pm.
27th march - Binsar to Chaukori
28th march - Chaukori to Munsiyari.
29th march - Munsyari (Local site seeing etc.)
30th march - Munsyari to Naukuchiatal
31st march - Naukuchiatal to Gurgaon.

I have made bookings at TRH Binsar and Chaukori. Called up the manager at kmvn TRH munsyari, was told that rooms are not ready as sewer line was getting changed. Are there any other reccomended stay options at Munsiyari?

Hope to get some nice clear views of himalayas.

Kindly suggest me if any change in plan is required. I will be taking my punto MJD 2012 and which route to take according to the current road conditons. Is the one though kashipur good ?

Thanks in advance
Why cram so much in.
Here is a better plan
1. Delhi - Chaukori (11 hours) - Have done it recently, I did it in 10 hours, you may take 11
2. Chaukori - Munsiyari - 6 hours
3. Munsiyari - Sight seeing towards kalamuni top etc,. and some small treks
4. Munsiyari - Sight seeing towards downhill
5. Munsiyari - Binsar (6-7 hours)
6 - Binsar - Delhi (9-10 hours via Almora/Nainital)

Alternatively, day 4 you can do Kalamuni top area and spend night at birthi water fall. Birthi is 1.5 hours from Munsiyari on the way back(towards binsar)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks