Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 06:34   #1
BHPian

Leh in september, tickets booked

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion on TSK1979's excellent Leh & Ladakh Guide at this link

We are a group of five friends,going to Leh for gettogether after 10 yrs of college.air tickets are booked.
delhi to leh - 6:00 am -7:20 am 17/09/2010
leh to delhi- 7:00 am -08:30 am 22/09/2010
Everything other than this is open. Now please help me fix the whole itinerary. reserve hotels etc.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2013 at 10:34. Reason: Link to guide
Old 30th July 2010, 10:28   #2
BHPian

Rough tour plan is :

17 sep : rest in the hotel,evening in the market
18 sep : local sight seeing
19 sep : nubra valley, night stay at diskit
20 sep : nubra valley, panamik,hunder day tour and back to leh
21 sep : day trip to pangong tso
22 sep : back to Delhi by morning flight

1) Is this itinerary o.k, or it needs some changes.if it is o.k. than please tell me the place to stay at leh on 17th, 18th,20th and 21st, and at diskit on 19th?
2) Will it be fine to stay at diskit in nubra valley or you will suggest some other place?
Old 30th July 2010, 10:46   #3
BANNED

You should have good weather. The best in Leh is Grand Dragon Ladakh. Excellent food and accommodation, but pricey. Works out to about 4-5k per room all inclusive (2 persons). You can try windhorse Expeditions. Mr Namgyal offers excellent service. With five persons you can get a Innova (they are the most popular). Normally the taxi driver picks you from the Airport and then Drops you back at the end.

Make sure you start taking Diamox two days before you leave for Ladakh.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Make sure you start taking Diamox two days before you leave for Ladakh.
Its a schedule H drug, and should not be popped like vitamin C pills. Many people are allergic to Sulfa Drugs, and it can cause death too
Acetazolamide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Look at the sulfa drug part. Many people are allergic to sulfa drugs.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Thank you sir for the reply.Perhaps we would be staying in budget hotels because we are not with our families.And we will be out of the hotel most of the times sight seeing due to time constraints, and at nights we would not be in the position to appreciate the hotels. hahahaha
kindly suggest budget hotels if you know some.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hotel thongsal/Hotel Padma/Shanti Guest House... The list goes on and on. And guess what, in september, all these would have rooms available for around 600-700/night.
When we went in August end 2009, we searched through a lot of hotels. Some hotels were asking for 2000/night, and came down to 1100/night.
But our budget was much less, so we settled down to Thongsal for 600/night.

Due to our camaraderie with the guy, he gave us the same rate this year for 700/night in peak season(normal rate 850/night since the hotel has car parking)

Regarding your itenary, Nubra to Leh takes around 4.5 hours.
Pangong to Leh takes 7 hours.

So if you are game, you can go from Nubra to Leh via Wari La directly.

Cost of taxi from Nubra - Leh and then Leh - Pangong > Direct Nubra to Pangong via Wari La.
Ask for the exact costs at taxi union.

You can choose to reach Tangste by evening, stay there for the night, and then early morning head to pangong Tso, This will give you around 7 hours at Pangong.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

You best bet to start the homework is from...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eh-docked.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eh-2010-a.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...gama-lama.html

Though you may not get the itinerary, you can get a glimpse about local sight seeing, dos & don'ts.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:05   #8
BHPian

thanks,tanveer and aargee for your advices
Tanveer I am overwhelmed to see you here responding to my queries,as you are the original master of the roads.I am reading you for last three years.
So it is understood that stay is not a problem in mid sept
According to you we should hire a taxi/bikes from leh to nubra valley on 19/09/2010, night stay at diskit, proceed to tangtse via warila on 20/09/2010,stay there for the night.Go to pangong tso and than to leh and night stay on 21/09/2010.Morning flight to Delhi on 22 sept.
Question remains that ,if there are good staying options at tangtse .
Old 30th July 2010, 21:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvikasagrawal View Post
No problem; but I'm sorry that I wasn't able to find TSK's thread for you. They're one of THE BEST here. I'm glad he did that for you. If I come across anything more, I'll certainly post it here for you or PM you.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tanveer I am overwhelmed to see you here responding to my queries,as you are the original master of the roads.I am reading you for last three years.
So it is understood that stay is not a problem in mid sept
According to you we should hire a taxi/bikes from leh to nubra valley on 19/09/2010, night stay at diskit, proceed to tangtse via warila on 20/09/2010,stay there for the night.Go to pangong tso and than to leh and night stay on 21/09/2010.Morning flight to Delhi on 22 sept.
Question remains that ,if there are good staying options at tangtse .
Well you get a room with attached bathroom for around 400-500rs. It will be very basic no frills rooms. Hot water bucket will cost extra 20rs.
In Ladakh, we stayed in a decent hotel with ample car parking, and running "lukewarm water" for 650-700. Our actual cost of stay was around 600/night because he did not even charge us for some small food items we had ordered. Due to our repeat visit, we got some stuff for free.
If you are willing to spend 1000, in mid sept you can get a decent "luxury" hotel. Basically you walk into a hotel and start bargaining.
Remember, in Mid september, all expensive hotels will give you 30% off printed tarriffs without bargaining.
You start by offering 50%.
So a hotel room with 2000 printed, you offer 900rs.
He will come down to 1100/1200.
Guest houses typically charge 600-700, and will come down to max 550.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hai Dr.Vikas,

Great to see you are planning this trip, I am sure you'd enjoy and remember it for the rest of your life.

TSK1979 has lots of experience in the region, actual drive experience, which is different from hearsay or reading and most of your questions he has answered. He has driven to areas in Ladakh which many people would not dare to and is adventerous / lucky enough to do it again and again, he has records of almost everything and exact details of the trip too

In the meantime, you may want to take a look at our T-Log, specially the last couple of posts of FAQ's on AMS and treatment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eh-docked.html

Wishing you happy planning,

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 1st August 2010 at 16:27.
Old 1st August 2010, 21:23   #12
BHPian

Thank you, tanveer sir and ramkya sir.
Another question, what should be the mode of transport from Leh-khardungla-nubra valley-agham -warila-sakti-changla-pangong tso and back to leh.Can we have a rented car(not a hired taxi) like renting a bike.What do you think of doing Leh -Nubra valley- Leh on rented bikes if rented cars are not available.And another one,may sound silly to you, if pillion rider is possible on this route.because one of us can't drive a bike.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, tanveer sir and ramkya sir.
Another question, what should be the mode of transport from Leh-khardungla-nubra valley-agham -warila-sakti-changla-pangong tso and back to leh.Can we have a rented car(not a hired taxi) like renting a bike.What do you think of doing Leh -Nubra valley- Leh on rented bikes if rented cars are not available.And another one,may sound silly to you, if pillion rider is possible on this route.because one of us can't drive a bike.
All these can be done on car and bike too. I don't think you'd get rented, drive-yourself cars, unless you know a local contact who would vouch for you. I've heard of drive yourself Gypsys being available for the right connections there for around Rs.800/- per day, not validated. Just for this one drive if you have a gritty pillion its very much possible.

On my recent trip, saw 2 bikers MH regn., Mumbikers, at Kardhung village tea shop, one driven by a girl with another girl on the pillion, other bike being driven by her father and mother!!!! They left before us, followed them for some time before we overtook, she was a very good rider, skill was visible on sandy turns.

Please drop the Sir and call me Ramky. Tnx.

=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 2nd August 2010 at 12:15.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:42   #14
BHPian

It will be a great fun if we can get a gypsy for all three days. Don't you have any other information on this point, any phone no etc .
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

I have not seen any self drive rental vehicles in Leh, except for those rented out by Hertz from Delhi etc.,
Bike rental is common, and costs 500+ a day.
I doubt anybody will be renting out a self drive gypsy for 800, if there are any which are rented out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks