Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Panna - Bandhavgarh - Kanha - Pench : Route Queries

I have a business tour, so I just tried to include the National Parks in my list, The problem is that though I will not be visiting the National parks as a visitor. Could I still take the routes that go through these parks?? For e.g Below is my travel route, it goes through Kanha, Pench, Panna National parks.(look at the routes going from inside national park indicated by blue lines.)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2&z=7&dirflg=d

I came to know that all these National parks are closed from July-October. Are the routes that are shown in my map too closed?? or They are just normal highways that went through the National parks.

I have a Tata Safari TCIC. Also I would like to ask if I could also travel through those (Inside National Park) routes at night. We will be 7 Gents in the car.

P.S.: I will start on Thursday, this week.

Need Help! SOS:|

Last edited by mercedised : 2nd August 2010 at 21:17.
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

The roads indicated by you are normal roads, open through the year. I heard that you can stay in Kanha even during the rainy season although you may not be able to go inside the park.

Going by past experience, MP roads will break up during the rains.
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The roads indicated by you are normal roads, open through the year. I heard that you can stay in Kanha even during the rainy season although you may not be able to go inside the park.

Going by past experience, MP roads will break up during the rains.
(Phew!) Thanks, I am relieved now. Yes, the roads must have broken down by now, and also I would like to ask if it is safe traveling through through the National Parks at night. or Also in daytime, if it is advisable to do speeds of 80-90kmph on those routes?
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I saw your route, I do not see you going through any of the private WLS roads, they are all public highways and I do not think there are any Check Posts to restrict your travel by night, but I would generally avoid night travel due to sparse traffic and adverse perceptions about law and order in MP in general.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks once again, I might avoid that (night journey), but not at all times. Sometime I will have to do it in the journey.

'Adverse Perception'? about Law, Why? I donot get any of the things of that types during my travel in M.P. May be that I belong to a city in M.P. and the car is of M.P. might have made the things easier.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Thanks once again, I might avoid that (night journey), but not at all times. Sometime I will have to do it in the journey.

'Adverse Perception'? about Law, Why? I donot get any of the things of that types during my travel in M.P. May be that I belong to a city in M.P. and the car is of M.P. might have made the things easier.
Tales of dacoity in Sendhwa-Damnod and Sagar area are known. But in MP even the cops are terrible, I have had my car seized by cops - when you have such cops, why bother about dacoits?
Old 4th August 2010, 09:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Tales of dacoity in Sendhwa-Damnod and Sagar area are known. But in MP even the cops are terrible, I have had my car seized by cops - when you have such cops, why bother about dacoits?

Sendhwa - Dhamnod : The route was known for Dacoits at one time, but now, it is not as troublesome as it was earlier. One can now do that stretch at nights too.

Sagar: It was too a case earlier, nowadays it has reduced.

Yes, when we have got such COPS then why bother about the Dacoits. But, the more CRUEL thing is that the incident happened to you (I read it at your thread) only happens with non-MP vehicles. It is the biggest 'hole in security' of this state.

BTW, I will be leaving today evening. Thanks for your support HV, really I appreciate your 'route skills'/Knoweldge.
Old 27th November 2019, 17:03   #8

Kolkata to Bahndavgarh, Kanha and back in Dec

Dear All,
I am planning to cover Bandhavgarh and Kanha in my Nissan Sunny in the last week of December 2019.
My initial planning based on Google goes like this:
Day 1: Kolkata to Varanasi
Day 2: Varanasi to Bandhavgarh
Day 3: Safari in Bandhavgarh
Day 4: Bandhavgarh to Kanha
Day 5: Kanha
Day 6: Kanha to Rewa
Day 7: Rewa to Kolkata
Please suggest if this planning is good enough. Also, please suggest changes in case this needs imrpovement.
Thanks in earnest.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:58   #9
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Bahndavgarh, Kanha and back in Dec

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamajumder View Post
Dear All,
I am planning to cover Bandhavgarh and Kanha in my Nissan Sunny in the last week of December 2019.
My initial planning based on Google goes like this:
Day 1: Kolkata to Varanasi
Day 2: Varanasi to Bandhavgarh
Day 3: Safari in Bandhavgarh
Day 4: Bandhavgarh to Kanha
Day 5: Kanha
Day 6: Kanha to Rewa
Day 7: Rewa to Kolkata
Please suggest if this planning is good enough. Also, please suggest changes in case this needs imrpovement.
Thanks in earnest.
Looks like you are up to a great way to end this year

I have done Varanasi - Bandhavgarh - Kanha - Bhopal couple of years back. I would recommend you start early from Varanasi and avoid the route via Satna. Preferably take the route via Lalgunj, Beohari, Tala zone gate. There are many lonely stretches and I recommend you to cover it during the day. Preferably start by 6am in the morning and you should be at Tala for your afternoon Safari.

For your second leg - Bandhavgarh to Kanha, I took the route via Shahpura, Mandla by-pass. The roads back then were not bad. This route is also shorter. You could start early if you can and reach before your afternoon safari to Kanha.

I wish you a great road trip. Treat us with some good pictures from the road and wildilfe when you are back.
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:16   #10

Re: Panna - Bandhavgarh - Kanha - Pench : Route Queries

Thanks a lot tygerman. Really looking forward to a great journey. Will surely update with the pictures.
Any way you feel we need to take extra fuel cans, or any such precautions which we might overlook in our normal city life, please update too. thanks again.
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamajumder View Post
Thanks a lot tygerman. Really looking forward to a great journey. Will surely update with the pictures.
Any way you feel we need to take extra fuel cans, or any such precautions which we might overlook in our normal city life, please update too. thanks again.

Anytime! Extra fuel cans will not be necessary. But as a best practice, I stick to the rule "Tank it up at half" . Carrying food and enough water is a good thing to consider. There are no good hotels around and don't try Dhabas, though they are quite inviting. Last thing you want is a bad stomach on a stretch of wilderness. Carry homely food and enjoy the scenic drive.

Google maps are mandatory. There are many deceiving turns. So better travel with google maps on. If you do not have a car charger, I would suggest you get one to ensure the phone is always charged.

I always use Nitrogen in my tyres. That will reduce the risks of getting a flat tyre. Rest everything is the usual stuff.

Are you a regular safari goer? Have you been to the Sunderbans?
Old 8th December 2019, 10:30   #12

Thanks tygerman. Good points you mentioned. I have a car charger and am downloading google maps for the whole trip, in case I don’t get network access on the way. And yes, I too use nitrogen for my tyres too.
I had been to the Sunderbans long back, but since the place is Riverine, the car has to be parked at a certain point and we had to move into a launch. However, that was about 10 years back. I won’t be able to help you with the current status of the roads.

Thanks again. And happy driving.

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2019 at 10:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks