Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Munnar-> Trivandrum-> Trichy

Hi,
I am looking to gather route information between Munnar to Trivandrum, preferably the route that goes through Thekkady.

From Thekkady to Trivandrum, I would prefer taking a route that is scenic and has good roads even if the route is going to take additional 30-50km.
In addition, I am looking to take a break and rest for a night. Therefore I would require information about staying options in any towns/cities which are on the way.

Further, I require travelling to Trichy, TN from Trivandrum. I need your help in again giving information about the shortest distance route for this. Google map shows one through Pechiparai and this connects Trivandrum directly to Tirunelveli. Please advice if the roads are good in this route.

Thank you in advance.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:22   #2
BHPian

Munnar to Devikolam = 11 KM
Devikolam to Thekkadi = 60 km

Thekkady > Kuttikkanam > erumely > Punalur > anchal >Trivandrum = 262 KM
Old 7th August 2010, 10:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in View Post
Further, I require travelling to Trichy, TN from Trivandrum. I need your help in again giving information about the shortest distance route for this. Google map shows one through Pechiparai and this connects Trivandrum directly to Tirunelveli. Please advice if the roads are good in this route.
The fastest route that most people take including buses from Trivandrum to Trichy would be take the NH thru Nagarkovil, Tirunelveli, Madurai and Trichy. The roads are good in this sector. The catch is that you will end up travelling an extra of 60 to 70 Km. There is a shorter route where you catch the Kollam - Tirumangalam Highway and you will reach Kadayanallur and from there the route will be Rajapalayam - Madurai - Trichy. I am sure that this will take a longer time. and there is nothing very scenic about this route.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Antonian.
Stay options are Thekkady, Kuttikanam beautiful places.

Further if you want to try return to Madurai via Trivandrum, punalur, shenkotta, tenkasi. Beautiful route all the way till Tenkasi. From here if you can join NH7 at Thirunelveli (50 km, but you come down south) or Madurai (150). Then Madurai - Trichy

If you need a fast drive then Trivandrum Nagercoil join NH7 all the way to Madurai.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:25   #5
BHPian

Many thanks Antonian, Scorpiolover and lalu!
Old 16th August 2010, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

You can ideally go from TVM to Munnar without touching Thekkady, by turning off at Kuttikanam - lovelier route - and going via Elaparra, Marykulam and Kattapana to join the Thekkady-Munnar road at Puliyanmala. At Kuttikanam, there is a lovely resort which you can think of staying at. Alternatively, off Vandiperiyar (Kuttikanam-Thekkady road), you can stay at Gavi.

You can check out the TVM-Munnar route via Kuttikanam & Kattapana in this link:
CENTRAL & SOUTH INDIA, January 2010 - hvkumar | Google Groups

Small correction in distances:
TVM-Changanaserry-Kanjirapalli-Kuttikanam-Kattapana-Puliyanmala-Munnar is 350 kms.
and
TVM-Changanaserry-Kanjirapalli-Kuttikanam-Vandiperiyar-Thekkady-PUliyanmala-Munnar is 380 kms.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Re: Munnar-> Trivandrum-> Trichy

[quote=hvkumar;2028341]You can ideally go from TVM to Munnar without touching Thekkady, by turning off at Kuttikanam - lovelier route - and going via Elaparra, Marykulam and Kattapana to join the Thekkady-Munnar road at Puliyanmala. At Kuttikanam, there is a lovely resort which you can think of staying at. Alternatively, off Vandiperiyar (Kuttikanam-Thekkady road), you can stay at Gavi.

You can check out the TVM-Munnar route via Kuttikanam & Kattapana in this link:
CENTRAL & SOUTH INDIA, January 2010 - hvkumar | Google Groups

How are the roads between kuttikanam -elaparra -kattapana?
Old 29th March 2011, 11:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mclaren View Post

How are the roads between kuttikanam -elaparra -kattapana?
Very good. Have been on it during different seasons and over many years, never seen it bad. And very scenic too.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful route all the way till Tenkasi. From here if you can join NH7 at Thirunelveli (50 km, but you come down south) or Madurai (150). Then Madurai - Trichy
From Tenkasi, you can take the road via Rajapalayam, Srivilliputhur till Tirumangalam, Tirumangalam Bypass, Madurai bypass and NH45B to Trichy. Roads are pretty ok, not a 4-laner like the NH7 though. Heading to Tirunelveli from Tenkasi is roundabout and distance would be more than the Nagercoil route too.
Old 5th April 2012, 00:35   #10
BHPian

Its a Yokohoma again to take the Trivandrum Munnar TopStation Road

Almost 40k kms after my first upsize on Swift, boy I think I got a spell on the Yokohoma A drives!!! How else would i fall back on Yokos again, when I was planning to get the MRF Z-LO which would have saved me atleast 1k bucks. Anyways thats a different story.

Now that the shoes are new, the first test is gonna be with my family - 2 adults and 2 kids of 4 year and 1 year each and the destination is Topstation and couple of nights at Camp Noel. The route i used to take earlier was Trivandrum - Ernakulam - Munnar. Start at around 7-8 in the evening, stay at Ernakulam and next morning to Munnar. This time I plan to take the MC road and probably hault at Kothamangalam/Muvattupuzha.

Guys, is it possible to do Trivandrum - Kothamangalam in 4-5 hours, so that if i start by around 7.30, we can be in bed b4 1 am? I havent done many night drives on the stretch beyond Kottayam, so do let me know about what to watch out for in Kottayam-Kothamangalam stretch, humps, elephants, processions, potholes anything or anyone, so that it might help me drive safer.

All views are most welcome.

Next week its gonna be gavi, kadamanitta.... thats with old friends, and can be easily done with lesser/no planning!!!

Last edited by glidealong : 5th April 2012 at 00:45.
Old 5th April 2012, 00:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Its a Yokohoma again to take the Trivandrum Munnar TopStation Road

It is possible to reach Kothamangalam in around 5 hours but leaving Trivandrum at 7pm will put you right into the evening peak and that would consume slightly more running time.
Old 5th April 2012, 08:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
It is possible to reach Kothamangalam in around 5 hours but leaving Trivandrum at 7pm will put you right into the evening peak and that would consume slightly more running time.
Thanks Rajeev, and this being a long weekend is not going to help either. Let me try to skip the evening status call and start an hour earlier. :P
Old 5th April 2012, 14:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Its a Yokohoma again to take the Trivandrum Munnar TopStation Road

it is possible to reach Kothamangalam in 5 hours. however, via MC road, traffic at all the towns through which the road passes will be a big headache.

if 30kms more drive is not an issue, Why not stick with NH47 till Kundannoor Jn and turn right at signal touching NH85(NH49) all the way to Munnar?

another route: Trivandrum-Kottayam-Pala-Thodupuzha-Paingottur-Neriamangalam(NH85)-Munnar
Old 5th April 2012, 17:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch
it is possible to reach Kothamangalam in 5 hours. however, via MC road, traffic at all the towns through which the road passes will be a big headache.

if 30kms more drive is not an issue, Why not stick with NH47 till Kundannoor Jn and turn right at signal touching NH85(NH49) all the way to Munnar?

another route: Trivandrum-Kottayam-Pala-Thodupuzha-Paingottur-Neriamangalam(NH85)-Munnar
Thanks deepclutch, I am starting now and checkin at camp Noel, around 2 hours from Munnar, is tomorrow noon. So I plan to break the journey somewhere enroute, and start again tomorrow morning. Maria Rani at Kothamangalam is the current plan.

Nh is a pain for night driving, so that's ruled out. However hault at Pala sounds feasible. Need to check hotel availability and additional kilometers.
Old 5th April 2012, 22:06   #15
BHPian

As per local info at Tiruvalla, decided to take Pala - route and stay at Thodupuzha. Hopefully be there by around 12.

Most Viewed