Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 14:24   #1
BHPian

Weekend (7/8 Aug) Plans - need advice

MIL has come over to Pune(Magarpatta) to check for herself our constant oohs and aahs of the transformation Maha undergoes in the monsoon. So, i need to come up with a good plan for the weekend. Need advice on the plans i have made (changes/new suggestions welcome). Btw, i also have a 2 yr old tagging along.

Saturday (Long drive):
Option 1: Drive to Shivtharghal/Varandha. A 2.5-3 hr one way drive. I have a xylo. Is it ok to take the 6 k m shortcut from top of Varandha down to Shivtharghla rather than the longer roiute from Birwadi?
Also, i read somewhere that right next to the vagjai temple view point on varandha, a small climb would take you to a remnants of a small fort on top of varandha ..Any one knows about this?
Option 2: Drive to Tamhini Ghat. 1 2.5 hr one way drive. Lot of waterfalls to see. Only downside is that there is no "specific" place to go to and might just end up going from view point to view point and get bored after a while.
Option 3: Bhimsankar forest and the 1 km walk to the waterfall. heard that the place is very green now. Downside: If it rains, we cannot go for the walk and the whole trip would be just drive/see/drive back.

Sunday(Short & Sweet):
Option 1: Bhuleshwar - Been there before the monsoons, liked it a lot. A short drive from where i stay, place should be green now
Option 2: Morachi Chincholi + Nighoj/Wadgaon Cave temple : Been to Morach and Nighoj b4, yet to see them during the monsoons. This combination would take few hours altogether.

Any other suggestions for either of the days?
thx in advance.
Old 8th August 2010, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

My answers in bold.

shivthar ghal, tamhini-pali and mahabaleshwar are the good options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Saturday (Long drive):
Option 1: Drive to Shivtharghal/Varandha. A 2.5-3 hr one way drive. I have a xylo.
a]Is it ok to take the 6 k m shortcut from top of Varandha down to Shivtharghla rather than the longer roiute from Birwadi?

It is ok, no problem, drive slowly.

b]Also, i read somewhere that right next to the vagjai temple view point on varandha, a small climb would take you to a remnants of a small fort on top of varandha ..Any one knows about this?

the fort is named kavlya, don't try it during rainy season.

Option 2: Drive to Tamhini Ghat. 1 2.5 hr one way drive. Lot of waterfalls to see. Only downside is that there is no "specific" place to go to and might just end up going from view point to view point and get bored after a while.

rather than tamhini ghat only, make it loop drive as tamhini-pali ganapati-mahad ganapati-lonavala-pune. you will be engaged full day in this loop drive with scenic spots.

Option 3: Bhimsankar forest and the 1 km walk to the waterfall. heard that the place is very green now. Downside: If it rains, we cannot go for the walk and the whole trip would be just drive/see/drive back.

thats the problem at bhimashankar and i have cancelled the bhimashankar trip last thu due to same and headed toward mahabaleshwar.

Sunday(Short & Sweet):
Option 1: Bhuleshwar - Been there before the monsoons, liked it a lot. A short drive from where i stay, place should be green now

you can do it but the road condition is bad.

Option 2: Morachi Chincholi + Nighoj/Wadgaon Cave temple : Been to Morach and Nighoj b4, yet to see them during the monsoons. This combination would take few hours altogether.

nice idea, you can stop at ranjangaon ganapati also.

Any other suggestions for either of the days?
thx in advance.

consider mahabaleshwar for one day dash, i have done it on thursday.

Old 9th August 2010, 12:40   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot Ashish.
My weekend finally shaped out like this:
Saturday:
Thoseghar, Chalkewadi and Kas Plateau drive. The kas plateau drive was awesome (no wild flowers), but misty and extremely windy. Thoseghar too was good. Chalkewadi was quite an experience - zero visibilty, almost bumped on to a windmill !!
Sunday:
Lohagad trek - drive through Paud, Pavna dam. Easily one of the best drives i have ever been. The pavna dam and Tung fort in the distance was beautiful.
A photolog coming soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks