Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th March 2020, 19:36   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Travel planning to Sikkim

I am visiting Sikkim in the second half of March. What is the Weather like? Do I need to carry clothes for cold Weather? Does it rain around this time of the year in Sikkim?

I'd be travelling solo, mostly using public transport / shared cabs. Any trips for accomodation?
Old 13th March 2020, 17:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am visiting Sikkim in the second half of March. What is the Weather like? Do I need to carry clothes for cold Weather? Does it rain around this time of the year in Sikkim?

I'd be travelling solo, mostly using public transport / shared cabs. Any trips for accomodation?
This is the best time to visit Sikkim (except for Corona scare), we went in early April and it was excellent. You won't require real warm clothing, but there can be intermittent rains, it is advisable to carry a jacket that can be used in rain and cold climate.
Old 13th March 2020, 17:35   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
This is the best time to visit Sikkim (except for Corona scare), we went in early April and it was excellent. You won't require real warm clothing, but there can be intermittent rains, it is advisable to carry a jacket that can be used in rain and cold climate.
I am sorry to have broken this news to you but tourist entry is banned in Sikkim as per this link:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...g/74603324.cms

(Ctrl+F Sikkim in your browser)
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 17:48   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure if any States can take such decisions on their own. Some of the places where we need permits, they can probably stop but a state taking such call appears to be a wrong precedent if this information is correct.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 18:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...tourist entry is banned in Sikkim as per this link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not sure if any States can take such decisions on their own.
As the number of cases ramp up and it certainly looks like they will, we're going to see several such panic measures. But having said that, I think states can take such measures. I think there is something in the Epidemic Diseases Act or something like that.

Now I am in no way trying to say the situation is not serious, but I'm talking about the actions outside of officially mandated ones. The official government and medical professional-advised responses and measures, those are certainly necessary and based on sound medical advice.

But I'm betting we'll see a lot of arbit closures, bans, restrictions put in place by any and every local authority and not to forget family, neighbor-aunty, whatsapp informed/alarmed relative/colleague brigade. All covered by the 'better-safe-than-sorry' blanket.

Last edited by am1m : 13th March 2020 at 18:22.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 21:24   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the details -

https://www.thestatesman.com/bengal/...502865399.html

https://www.telegraphindia.com/state...al/cid/1753210
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed