Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2020, 19:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Travel planning to Sikkim

I am visiting Sikkim in the second half of March. What is the Weather like? Do I need to carry clothes for cold Weather? Does it rain around this time of the year in Sikkim?

I'd be travelling solo, mostly using public transport / shared cabs. Any trips for accomodation?
Old 13th March 2020, 17:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am visiting Sikkim in the second half of March. What is the Weather like? Do I need to carry clothes for cold Weather? Does it rain around this time of the year in Sikkim?

I'd be travelling solo, mostly using public transport / shared cabs. Any trips for accomodation?
This is the best time to visit Sikkim (except for Corona scare), we went in early April and it was excellent. You won't require real warm clothing, but there can be intermittent rains, it is advisable to carry a jacket that can be used in rain and cold climate.
Old 13th March 2020, 17:35   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
This is the best time to visit Sikkim (except for Corona scare), we went in early April and it was excellent. You won't require real warm clothing, but there can be intermittent rains, it is advisable to carry a jacket that can be used in rain and cold climate.
I am sorry to have broken this news to you but tourist entry is banned in Sikkim as per this link:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...g/74603324.cms

(Ctrl+F Sikkim in your browser)
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 17:48   #34
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure if any States can take such decisions on their own. Some of the places where we need permits, they can probably stop but a state taking such call appears to be a wrong precedent if this information is correct.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 18:18   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...tourist entry is banned in Sikkim as per this link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not sure if any States can take such decisions on their own.
As the number of cases ramp up and it certainly looks like they will, we're going to see several such panic measures. But having said that, I think states can take such measures. I think there is something in the Epidemic Diseases Act or something like that.

Now I am in no way trying to say the situation is not serious, but I'm talking about the actions outside of officially mandated ones. The official government and medical professional-advised responses and measures, those are certainly necessary and based on sound medical advice.

But I'm betting we'll see a lot of arbit closures, bans, restrictions put in place by any and every local authority and not to forget family, neighbor-aunty, whatsapp informed/alarmed relative/colleague brigade. All covered by the 'better-safe-than-sorry' blanket.

Last edited by am1m : 13th March 2020 at 18:22.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 21:24   #36
Team-BHP Support

Here are the details -

https://www.thestatesman.com/bengal/...502865399.html

https://www.telegraphindia.com/state...al/cid/1753210
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 20:59   #37
BHPian

Any suggestions for reliable travel operators in Sikkim who provide safe drivers and clean cars ?
Basically pick us up from airport, take us to all the places in Sikkim that we have planned and drop us back to airport. Total duration would be 9-10 days. Planning to book accommodation on our own. We will be a group of 7 people. Ideally we would need two cars, as one Innova/Xylo vehicle would be too cramped with all the people and luggage travelling long distances in hilly terrain.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 6th July 2022 at 21:00.
Old 8th October 2022, 12:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Any suggestions for reliable travel operators in Sikkim who provide safe drivers and clean cars ?
Answering my own query for the benefit of larger community who might be interested in visiting Sikkim -

Mr. Lakhpa ( +91 75508 08676 ) and his brother were our chauffeurs for the entire duration of our stay in Sikkim last week. We had very pleasant experience with them. They both were nice gentlemen, understood our needs very well, maintained their cars clean, drove around carefully and safely in all kinds of terrain. Highly recommend them for your travel needs in Sikkim.

Sikkim is jaw-droppingly gorgeous!! We had to pinch hard ourselves to realize what we are experiencing is real or unreal. It is very very beautiful. More on this later.
mankuthimma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 14:30   #39
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Sikkim during 1st week of April. During that time in which places can we get to see some snow? Going with family and kids, so want to avoid places which are too risky.

Last edited by mohan41 : 27th February 2023 at 14:34. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd June 2023, 14:33   #40
BHPian

Hello everyone! I am having a furlough period with my company in the first week of July (3-7) this year and am planning to visit Sikkim at this time with my wife and brother. I’m aware that this is monsoon season, so we would need to be flexible based on road conditions, but the general plan is to cover Gangtok, Lachen, Lachung, and Darjeeling. Anything in particular I should be aware of or precautions I should take? I’m basically banking on the fact that this would be the first week of July and the monsoon wouldn’t be that advanced by that time in North Sikkim.
Old 6th February 2024, 06:23   #41
BHPian

I am planning for a trip to Sikkim & Darjeeling from April 14 to 21 with kid & extended family. Any reliable contacts for car rental services that I can avail for the complete trip or self drive rentals available? Suggestions for places of accommodation (budget friendly) are also welcome. The plan is to fly from either Chennai or Bengaluru to Bagdogra.
Old 6th February 2024, 06:29   #42
BHPian

I am planning for a trip to Sikkim & Darjeeling from April 14 to 21 with kid & extended family. Any reliable contacts for car rental services that I can avail for the complete trip or self drive rentals available? Suggestions for places of accommodation (budget friendly) are also welcome. The plan is to fly from either Chennai or Bengaluru to Bagdogra.
Old 3rd April 2024, 16:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Answering my own query for the benefit of larger community who might be interested in visiting Sikkim -

Mr. Lakhpa ( +91 75508 08676 ) and his brother were our chauffeurs for the entire duration of our stay in Sikkim last week. We had very pleasant experience with them. They both were nice gentlemen, understood our needs very well, maintained their cars clean, drove around carefully and safely in all kinds of terrain. Highly recommend them for your travel needs in Sikkim.

Sikkim is jaw-droppingly gorgeous!! We had to pinch hard ourselves to realize what we are experiencing is real or unreal. It is very very beautiful. More on this later.
Hello, I'm planning a week-long trip to Sikkim with my family on the 1st week of May. Could you kindly share your itinerary?
Old 3rd April 2024, 18:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadAD View Post
Hello, I'm planning a week-long trip to Sikkim with my family on the 1st week of May. Could you kindly share your itinerary?
Here is a high level itinerary that I could gather from my archives -

Day1 (Sep26) - Bagdogra airport to Gangtok
Day2 - Gangtok local sightseeing
Day3 - Gangtok Changu Lake Nathula Pass
Day4 - Gangtok to Lachung
Day5 - Yumthang valley, Zero point - Lachung
Day6 - Lachung to Gangtok
Day7 - Gangtok - Namchi - Baiguney
Day8 - Baiguney - Pelling
Day9 - Baiguney - day at leisure
Day10(Oct5) - Baiguney - Darjeeling - Bagdogra airport

In our itinerary, we tried to get a glimpse of North, South, East and West of Sikkim. But if I were to visit Sikkim again, I would just head to North Sikkim and spend all the time there - Lachung and Lachen regions. It is amazingly beautiful !!
Old 8th April 2024, 16:14   #45
BHPian

I am also planning to visit Sikkim in the first week of May. Some acquaintances had been there last year and they recommended the driver Nom Gangtok (7478181249). He has an Innova. The travellers booked hotel accommodation by themselves.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks