Team-BHP - Travel planning to Sikkim
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Travel planning to Sikkim (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/86784-travel-planning-sikkim.html)

Hello travel experts,
I am planning to travel to Sikkim between 8th and 15th of October. (Not driving from Bangalore, but flying there)

Please help me with information about the places to visit, stay and any related planning information (like holidays for some of the spots to be visited, so that we can plan our trips in the most optimal way)

We are a group of 6 people. 4 adults + 2 kids (around 6-7 years)

Being first timer to this area, I am open to suggestions, and also would not mind exploring non-commercial areas, provided they are not very unfriendly for kids.

thanks in advance.

Check out this thread on the forum http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...n-gangtok.html
There are dozen others as well!!

The first 3-4 paragraphs may be of interest to you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ngri-trek.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2016423)
The first 3-4 paragraphs may be of interest to you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ngri-trek.html

wow...
I would have missed this unless I posted this query. Thanks a lot for sharing. I may not attempt the same(I read the first post, and am over whelmed with it, particularly the picture at the highest point, simply beautiful scene) with a 6 year old. Nevertheless, a source of inspiration for me to do it in near future.

This is the high level plan which I have come up with. Please suggest modifications as you feel necessary, or please feel free to shoot it down completely if some of things doesnt make sense. I am open to suggestions.

Friday - Bangalore - Bagdogra.
Reach Bagdogra at 1500 HRS, proceed to Mirik.

Saturday at Mirik.
Sunday - Proceed to Pelling via Dargeeling.
Monday - Pelling
Tuesday - Proceed to Gangtok via Rumtek
Weednesday - Local sightseeing in Gangtok
Thursday - Nathula, TsongMo lake and on the way
Friday - return to Bangalore (Flight leaves Bagdogra around 1400)

Plan looks doable.
However, check out which day (I think it is Monday) the tours to Tsango Lake/Nathu la are restricted.
Remember that Sikkhim gets crowded during Dussehra and Diwali time, so book your hotel rooms in advance.
There is nothing great about sightseeing in Gangtok, you may as well try to see the other places like Kechopari Lake (near Pelling) or Phudong (near Mangan).
Hopefully, it will not be raining at that time, if that is so, please keep adequate buffer to drive from Gangtok to Bagdogara, takes normally 3-4 hours.

Thanks Kumar ji for the reply.
After looking at some of the pictures of Lachung and Yumthang, I am being tempted to cover that as well.
Do you suggest dropping one of the original plan or is it still possible to cover, and also with two 7 year olds, would it be possible to cover this stretch?

thanks,
Srikanth

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriturl (Post 2019123)
Thanks Kumar ji for the reply.
After looking at some of the pictures of Lachung and Yumthang, I am being tempted to cover that as well.
Do you suggest dropping one of the original plan or is it still possible to cover, and also with two 7 year olds, would it be possible to cover this stretch?

thanks,
Srikanth

Lachung/Yumthang is a 2-day tour out of Gangtok by conducted tour. Not sure if October is a good time, best time is spring when the flowers are in full bloom.

Thanks for the replies.

I am almost finalized with the plan with the reverse option.
First to Gangtok, finish Nathula and Gangtok trips, then head west to Pelling and surroundings Kechopari Lake etc. and to Mirik and Bagdogra.

Please suggest some budget hotels for Gangtok, Pelling and Mirik. All I need is clean toilets and rooms. Not very particular about other amenities as I may not be using many of them :)

thanks.

Hello,

I understand only limited make / type vehicles (Sumo/Spacio/Mahindra Maxx) have permits for Driver + 8 pax.

Other veicles such as Innova / Scorpio have permits only for Driver + 7 pax. Is this true?

What vehicle will be recommended for 'safe' travel withing Sikkim (inlcuding the remote north)?

Seek advise from previous travellers.

Cheers, Sam

Hi. I am planning a trip to Sikkim during the Christmas / New Year period later this year. Will be travelling with wife and two kids. Appreciate if you could help with a few queries:
1. Is it too cold to go around that time of the year? Does it snow in Gangtok & beyond?
2. Will I be able to travel all the way upto GuruDongmar Lake during that period? Are the roads open during that time. I plan to take a taxi from Gangtok.

Appreciate any help on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptushar (Post 3740023)
1. Is it too cold to go around that time of the year? Does it snow in Gangtok & beyond?
2. Will I be able to travel all the way upto GuruDongmar Lake during that period? Are the roads open during that time. I plan to take a taxi from Gangtok.

It is cold, yes. Too cold...? Depends. Expect the temperature to hover between 4 to 8 at Gangtok. It doesn't snow at Gangtok but might at the lake & beyond.

If it is snowing heavily and isn't fit for taxis with 2WD with resole tires, then, the road might be closed. You can't really predict this.

But if you wish to travel around Sikkim, there are plenty of [better & non-touristy] options. You may scour the forum for it :)

hi all,

need some help from veterans here in planning this trip.

i’ll be driving from hyd such that i will reach kalimpong in a (maruti swift) on dec 26 and have 6 nights/7 days to spend in sikkim. i have to head back on jan 1 from kalimpong.

specific questions:
1. Is it advisable to take a tour operator with car/jeep in kalimpong or get permits and drive myself in sikkim?
2. is it possible to get driving permits? if not then which all places in sikkim can i drive without permit?
3. i am planning to visit pelling, Gangtok, Lachung/lachen, zuluk. if someone can suggest best route to take to cover all these places based on combinations from answers above. i would love to drive as much as possible.
4. any other help in terms of good places to stay, eat or visit.

thanks so much in advance for any help here.

~sumit

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitj (Post 3874273)
hi all,

need some help from veterans here in planning this trip.

i’ll be driving from hyd such that i will reach kalimpong in a (maruti swift) on dec 26 and have 6 nights/7 days to spend in sikkim. i have to head back on jan 1 from kalimpong.

specific questions:
1. Is it advisable to take a tour operator with car/jeep in kalimpong or get permits and drive myself in sikkim?
2. is it possible to get driving permits? if not then which all places in sikkim can i drive without permit?
3. i am planning to visit pelling, Gangtok, Lachung/lachen, zuluk. if someone can suggest best route to take to cover all these places based on combinations from answers above. i would love to drive as much as possible.
4. any other help in terms of good places to stay, eat or visit.

thanks so much in advance for any help here.

~sumit

Others must have missed this thread, so I am replying despite my knowledge being limited. You wont get driving permit for North Sikkim. They usually gives permit to SUVs.

Self driving is always advisable. Sikkim is indeed very beautiful. If you are visiting Kalimpong you can do this route - Kalimpong -> Sillery Gaon -> Zuluk -> Kupup -> Nathula Pass -> Gantok. You can stay at Kapimpong, Sillery gaon/Zuluk. Gangtok. This route requires permit either from Gangtok or from Rongli (A small town after Aritar). They usually gives permit if you are with family. Please check recent thread on Zuluk. This route will cover entire East Sikkim.

Travel planning to Sikkim-route.jpg

You can drive to West Sikkim and visit places like Peling, Ravangla, Yuksom. Let me know if you need more information.

Planning a trip to Sikkim in first week of May. Looking for recommendations on travel agent for car hire, especially for trip to North Sikkim. Also, is it recommended to book the hotels on my own or go with the travel agent?
I know most of the BHPians here prefer driving to Sikkim, but still taking a chance in case anyone has good recommendations.