Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Jamnagar route and road condition

Hi Guys,
How is the road condition between Mumbai and Jamnagar via Baroda (I presume that is the only route). Plan to travel next month. Grateful for all inputs.
Will be driving down in my Indica.

Thank you

Last edited by magiceye : 9th August 2010 at 14:52.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Road is good.
However, instead of going via Baroda-Borsad-Tarapur-Vataman-Bagodara, continue on expressway till Ahmedabad, take the Sardar Patel Ring Road and go onto NH8A to Rajkot. This will be faster and smoother, given the superfast 4-laned roads all the way.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 09:14   #3
BHPian

Thank you so much Kumar. How long would it take and would it be necessary to take night halt?
Am the lone driver.
Thank you so much.
Regards
Old 10th August 2010, 09:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you leave early in the morning (say, by 5 am), drive consistently with just 2 halts, you can reach Jamnagar by evening. Bom-A'bad 9 hours, A'bad-Rajkot 3 hrs, Rajkot-Jamnagar 1 hr, +2 hrs for breaks, that adds up to 15 hours in all. So a start at 5 am will mean you can be in Jamnagar by dinner time.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:22   #5
BHPian

Thank you so much Kumar. Appreciate your detailed response.
Old 17th November 2010, 23:50   #6
BHPian

magiceye,

hows was your journey? I am planning a trip to jamnagar too in the last week of November.

Would be great if you can share some tips.

@hvkumar could you suggest good places to take breaks please?
I think a break before/in Baroda and the next one between Ahmedabad and Rajkot would do? We are a family of 5 including a small kid. Would appreciate if you could recommend good/safe places around those areas.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post

@hvkumar could you suggest good places to take breaks please?
I think a break before/in Baroda and the next one between Ahmedabad and Rajkot would do? We are a family of 5 including a small kid. Would appreciate if you could recommend good/safe places around those areas.

Check out the following links, has some hotels in the Rajkot-Ahmedabad sector:
(Read last day of the trip in the log book)
http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/s2s.xls

For the Bombay-Ahmedabad sector, you can also check oput Day 1 of teh following log book:
http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/Ladakh+Sep+2009.xls

Please note that there is also a new food court called Palazio on the Baroda bypass just before the beginning of the Ahmedabad expressway.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Please note that there is also a new food court called Palazio on the Baroda bypass just before the beginning of the Ahmedabad expressway.

>>> hvk,

Very good input, will need it next month - thank you.

Mumbai-Ahmedabad is approximately 525 kms, give or take a few- you mentioned a driving time of nine hours. I imagine the time will be reduced now as the roads have been likely resurfaced? Say eight hours?

Hope your Munnar offroading plan is on expected lines.

Regards, drive safe
Old 21st November 2010, 20:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Issigonis, am afraid Bombay-Ahmedabad has too many places where you can lose on time, specifically the Ghodbunder-Manor sector which sees high traffic density, the Vapi-Surat sector which is being widened with many detours, lots of debris and flyovers under construction and the River Narmada bridge between Ankleshwar and Bharuch which has been seeing traffic jams.

Yes, GMC Munnar is going well, I guess. Am in Trivandrum now.
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:10   #10
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Jamnagar route and road condition

Hi guys, we had to postpone our Jamnagar trip from November to the first week of new year.

While I am clear on the Mumbai-Chotila route, was not sure which route should we take for Jamnagar thereon.

1. Chotila - Wankaner - Dhrol - Jamnagar
2. Chotila - Rajkot - Kalavad - Jamnagar
3. Chotila - Rajkot - Dhrol - Jamnagar

If we start @ 5 AM, we should be traveling through this stretch at around 7/8 PM. Keeping this in mind, which route would you suggest?

I am inclined towards the third option.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Hi guys, we had to postpone our Jamnagar trip from November to the first week of new year.

While I am clear on the Mumbai-Chotila route, was not sure which route should we take for Jamnagar thereon.

1. Chotila - Wankaner - Dhrol - Jamnagar
2. Chotila - Rajkot - Kalavad - Jamnagar
3. Chotila - Rajkot - Dhrol - Jamnagar

If we start @ 5 AM, we should be traveling through this stretch at around 7/8 PM. Keeping this in mind, which route would you suggest?

I am inclined towards the third option.
I hope you are taking the route via Ahmedabad, since it is 4-laned superfast road all the way instead of turning off at Baroda and going via Vasad, Borsad, Vataman to Badogara.

Both the routes to Jamnagar are good, although I would prefer the route via Dhrol.
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I hope you are taking the route via Ahmedabad, since it is 4-laned superfast road all the way instead of turning off at Baroda and going via Vasad, Borsad, Vataman to Badogara.
Thanks HV.

Yeah I'm going via Ahmedabad (Ring road).

Came across an old article, published just before the development of A'bad - Rajkot stretch. The officer then claimed that Mumbai - Rajkot would be a 7 hour affair once this stretch is developed into 4 lane divided highway. Time for a reality check.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 22nd December 2010 at 21:57.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to travel from Baroda to Jamnagar to meet some friends next month. what is the best possible way to take? Should I go via ahmedabad? Do the road conditions allow one to maintain a constant speed of 100 kmph because many people here told me that one can easily cover the 400 km stretch in 6-7 hours.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi,
I am planning to travel from Baroda to Jamnagar to meet some friends next month. what is the best possible way to take? Should I go via ahmedabad? Do the road conditions allow one to maintain a constant speed of 100 kmph because many people here told me that one can easily cover the 400 km stretch in 6-7 hours.

Did Mumbai-Dwarka last week. Took Mumbai-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Rajkot-Jamnagar Route. Roads are excellent throughout and one can maintain more than 80kmph average speed. Started at 4:30 AM and reached around 6:30PM with three halts for food and two halts for refueling. Total distance 930Kms.

We were driving Innova and never crossed 130Kmph.

For Vadodara-Jamnagar 6-7 hours should suffice.
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 18:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi,
There is an alternate route from Baroda via Borsad-Tarapur-Bagodara and joining NH8A. However, it is still worth taking the Ahmedabad express highway, exiting onto the SG highway just before hiting Ahmedbad city exit and proceeding on the NH8A Rajkot highway. Excellent road all through out and you can easily maintain 100 kmph. A colleague drove down to Jamnagar last week from Ahmedabad in just about 5 hrs.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks