Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:18   #436
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Hi guys, need your valuable suggestions here. I'm planning to do a road trip to Rajasthan and back starting 20/21st December till 1st January (12-13 days), from Hyderabad. I have made a very rough route to take covering the major places to visit. Towards Rajasthan, I'm planning to go via Indore and enter Udaipur as the first point of interest. Jaipur is planned as the last PoI and driving back to Hyderabad via Nagpur. I'm attaching a GMap with the route that I am envisioning. My main query is what should be the ideal break-point between the Hyderabad-Udaipur and return Jaipur-Hyderabad stretch? Indore seems to be around 18Hrs from Hyderabad and doesn't look possible in a day. Also Jaipur to Nagpur is a similar 18 hrs. So apart from these 2 cities, where else would be a good place to halt so as to break the drives evenly? I would be travelling with my wife and the car in question is a Skoda Rapid.

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-plan1.jpg

Last edited by jayded : 22nd November 2018 at 15:25.
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:49   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi guys, need your valuable suggestions here. I'm planning to do a road trip to Rajasthan and back starting 20/21st December till 1st January (12-13 days), from Hyderabad. I have made a very rough route to take covering the major places to visit. Towards Rajasthan, I'm planning to go via Indore and enter Udaipur as the first point of interest. Jaipur is planned as the last PoI and driving back to Hyderabad via Nagpur. I'm attaching a GMap with the route that I am envisioning. My main query is what should be the ideal break-point between the Hyderabad-Udaipur and return Jaipur-Hyderabad stretch? Indore seems to be around 18Hrs from Hyderabad and doesn't look possible in a day. Also Jaipur to Nagpur is a similar 18 hrs. So apart from these 2 cities, where else would be a good place to halt so as to break the drives evenly? I would be travelling with my wife and the car in question is a Skoda Rapid.

Attachment 1821090
Any reason why you would not prefer doing it via Mumbai and the GQ?Distance?We drove Hyd-Mumbai-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Jaipur-Udaipur-Mumbai-Hyd some years ago.This route definitely is a livelier route with much more stay and eat options in my opinion.Just an option to consider apart from the proposed Indore route.The details are up here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...than-m800.html (From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800))
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:14   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, need your valuable suggestions here. I'm planning to do a road trip to Rajasthan and back starting 20/21st December till 1st January (12-13 days), from Hyderabad. I have made a very rough route to take covering the major places to visit.
Suggest driving via Mumbai and halting at Mumbai. Good roads, several food options, and Mumbai - Udaipur is possible easily in a day.
acquillew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:42   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Any reason why you would not prefer doing it via Mumbai and the GQ?Distance?We drove Hyd-Mumbai-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Jaipur-Udaipur-Mumbai-Hyd some years ago.This route definitely is a livelier route with much more stay and eat options in my opinion.Just an option to consider apart from the proposed Indore route.The details are up here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...than-m800.html (From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800))
Thanks a ton. Mumbai route didn't come up just because GMaps didn't suggest it and I didn't think it through. But now that you suggested it, it looks like that's the way to go. Has a better stopping point at Mumbai enroute, which is perfect. I have charted out a rough schedule based on this route and the dates. Attaching a table below. Do you think this is doable? Or would it be too tight a schedule.

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-schedule1.jpg

Breakdown by Rajasthan cities:
Udaipur: 2 nights (though would mostly be 2 half days without an entire full day there)
Jodhpur: 2 nights
Jaisalmer: 3 nights
Bikaner: 1 night
Jaipur: 2 nights

Will this give enough time to cover the cities in a not-so-hurried pace? If Bikaner is not worth spending a night, I am willing to drop that one out of the list and drive to Jaipur straight from Jaisalmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Suggest driving via Mumbai and halting at Mumbai. Good roads, several food options, and Mumbai - Udaipur is possible easily in a day.
Thanks buddy, I've decided to do the Mumbai route as suggested here.

Last edited by jayded : 23rd November 2018 at 11:45.
Old 25th November 2018, 10:11   #440
BHPian

Quote:
I have charted out a rough schedule based on this route and the dates. Attaching a table below. Do you think this is doable? Or would it be too tight a schedule.
Looks doable. By choosing right staying options in Mumbai, ie right on the highway route, about an hour can be saved on these days.

3 nights in Jaisalmer is an overkill. Maybe one night can be extended in Udaipur.

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2018 at 18:44. Reason: compacted quoted post
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 11:27   #441
BHPian

Hi Jay,

As per the dates mentioned it seems like you are staying for only 1 night in Udaipur, on 21-Dec you will arrive tired of the journey and might get very little time for site seeing and on 22-Dec you have the full day plan to visit sites in Udaipur and then travel back to Jodhpur (so good amount of activity for 22-Dec).

Unless and untill you have plans to spend in Desert resort in jaisalmer (either 25/26 Dec) you can cut short your stay by one night in Jaisalmer and keep it for Udaipur, so that you can cover Udaipur - Kumbalghar fort- Jodhpur section which will take 10 hrs of day time, if you add Ranakpur Jain temple to it then another 2hrs.
udaygk77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 17:59   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, I've decided to do the Mumbai route as suggested here.
Two nights in Jaisalmer should be enough. Since you will be going to Jaisalmer from Jodhpur ( a short drive), I suggest you start early from Jodhpur and head straight to Tanot. You can do Tanot, Longewala and then head back to Jaisalmer. You can spend the evenings in the desert (look for resorts in the desert). There are quite a few resorts/camps in Khuri and Sam. I have always spent the night in the desert and it has been an experience each time. The next day can be spent exploring the city and the fort.

Like others have suggested, stay an extra night in Udaipur. The city has a lot to see and explore. There is a cultural show at Bagore ki Haveli in the evenings - try and attend that. Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2018 at 18:44. Reason: compacted quoted post
acquillew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:55   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Looks doable. By choosing right staying options in Mumbai, ie right on the highway route, about an hour can be saved on these days.

3 nights in Jaisalmer is an overkill. Maybe one night can be extended in Udaipur.
I planning to do exactly that. Would be trying to stay close to the outskirts and close to the main highway in Mumbai. I have no plans to enter/visit the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaygk77 View Post
Hi Jay,

As per the dates mentioned it seems like you are staying for only 1 night in Udaipur, on 21-Dec you will arrive tired of the journey and might get very little time for site seeing and on 22-Dec you have the full day plan to visit sites in Udaipur and then travel back to Jodhpur (so good amount of activity for 22-Dec).

Unless and untill you have plans to spend in Desert resort in jaisalmer (either 25/26 Dec) you can cut short your stay by one night in Jaisalmer and keep it for Udaipur, so that you can cover Udaipur - Kumbalghar fort- Jodhpur section which will take 10 hrs of day time, if you add Ranakpur Jain temple to it then another 2hrs.
Thanks for the suggestion. After reading few travelogues, looks like what you suggested is the way to go. So I'm going to cut down one day in Jaisalmer and instead will extend one full day at Udaipur on the return leg. I'm even contemplating Bikaner. Not sure if it's worth spending a night there, or just a stopover on the way to Jaipur would suffice? Haven't done a lot of research on Bikaner, except for the fact that the place is known for it's namkeen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Two nights in Jaisalmer should be enough. Since you will be going to Jaisalmer from Jodhpur ( a short drive), I suggest you start early from Jodhpur and head straight to Tanot. You can do Tanot, Longewala and then head back to Jaisalmer. You can spend the evenings in the desert (look for resorts in the desert). There are quite a few resorts/camps in Khuri and Sam. I have always spent the night in the desert and it has been an experience each time. The next day can be spent exploring the city and the fort.

Like others have suggested, stay an extra night in Udaipur. The city has a lot to see and explore. There is a cultural show at Bagore ki Haveli in the evenings - try and attend that. Cheers!
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'm going to cut down a day at Jaisalmer and add that one full day to Udaipur on the return leg. Tanot-Longewala is surely on my itinerary.
Old 26th November 2018, 14:47   #444
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1821370

Breakdown by Rajasthan cities:
Udaipur: 2 nights (though would mostly be 2 half days without an entire full day there)
Jodhpur: 2 nights
Jaisalmer: 3 nights
Bikaner: 1 night
Jaipur: 2 nights
A couple of suggestions -
When in Mumbai, stay close to somewhere around Ghodbundar, crossing the creek bridge was a nightmare for me last year. Its better to stay on the other side of Thane so that you cross Ghodbundar area very early in the morning. That way you can reach Udaipur in time.

Secondly, while going from Udaipur to Jodhpur, if possible, visit Ranakpur, an awesome temple, wont take much time to see the temple. The road around Ranakpur is narrow and not that good, but still worth exploring the interiors of Rajasthan. You can follow this route -
Udaipur -> Gogunda -> Ranakpur -> Sadari ->Falna -> Sanderao -> Jodhpur. After Sanderao you are on a toll highway and its a breeze driving till Jodhpur.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 19:41   #445
BHPian

Hello all,

Need your suggestions on deciding the route plan for my upcoming road trip in December last week.
Plan is to start from Ghaziabad on 22nd Dec & cover the following route to reach final destination – Chennai on 31st Dec.
We are a group of 3. All 3 are experienced drivers.
Driving down in a ‘08 Fiesta 1.6 S.

We have no plans to spend more time for sightseeing at each locations en-route. It will be just a long drive.
Plan is to cover maximum distance during day time.

Overall trip plan :
Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-overall-trip-plan.jpg

Overall Route :
Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-overall-trip-map.jpg

Sections for which I need more information:
1.Amritsar to Jaipur:

We don’t want to take the Delhi route to Jaipur since we started from Delhi.
So the plan is to take either one of the below routes. Need info on road condition & traffic.

Route 1 via Bhatinda – Sirsa – Sikar (670km)

Route 2 via Bikaner – Sirsa – Sikar (865km)
- Not sure if this is comfortable to do in 1 day

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-amritsar-jaipur.jpg

2.Jaipur – Jaisalmer – Udaipur:

Need info on road condition & traffic. Which route do you recommend?

Route 1: Jaipur-Nagaur-Jaisalmer (Day 1- 560km)
Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Udaipur (Day 2- 530km)

Route 2: Jaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer (Day 1- 615km)
Jaisalmer-Barmer-Udaipur (Day 2- 500km)

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-jaipurjaisalmerudaipur.jpg

3.Udaipur – Rann of Kutch – Bhuj (660km):

Need your opinion on this route. Any info on the road conditions & traffic on this route?
Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-udaipurrann-kutchbhuj.jpg

Thank you
Old 6th December 2018, 19:42   #446

Hi, need your advice on best route from Bangalore to Chittorgarh from the below options:

1) Bangalore-Satara-Lonand-Shirdi-Dhule-Ratlam-Chittorgarh, or thru Pune
Or
2) Bangalore-Thane-Nashik-Dhule-Ratlam-Chittorgarh

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2018 at 20:20. Reason: Post fixed - formatting.
Old 7th December 2018, 10:39   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie View Post
Hi, need your advice on best route from Bangalore to Chittorgarh from the below options:

1) Bangalore-Satara-Lonand-Shirdi-Dhule-Ratlam-Chittorgarh, or thru Pune
Or
2) Bangalore-Thane-Nashik-Dhule-Ratlam-Chittorgarh
I would suggest Bangalore-Satara-Pune -Nashik-Dhule-Ratlam-Chittorgarh route. Pune - Nashik highway is in good shape and you will only face traffic till Chakan.

Avoid going via Shirdi as Ahmednagar bypass is in bad shape. Also, Shirdi - Malegoan is 2 lane mess.

For crossing Pune, take Wakad - Pimple saudaghar - Chakan road.

For Crossing Nashik, take left from BITCO chowk.
Old 10th December 2018, 16:10   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Or would it be too tight a schedule
Hi Jayded,

We just got back after a fun weekend in Udaipur and the road conditions between Udaipur until you reach Gujarat border is pathetic. With the 6 lane widening in progress in Rajasthan, there are a lot of stretches where the road is almost like a single lane road. It took us almost 6.5 hours to cover 270 km in the afternoon, something I normally cover in 4-5hrs.

So, you might want to rethink your plan about driving from Udaipur to Mumbai in a single stretch.

Drive Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 20:29   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hi Jayded,

We just got back after a fun weekend in Udaipur and the road conditions between Udaipur until you reach Gujarat border is pathetic. With the 6 lane widening in progress in Rajasthan, there are a lot of stretches where the road is almost like a single lane road. It took us almost 6.5 hours to cover 270 km in the afternoon, something I normally cover in 4-5hrs.

So, you might want to rethink your plan about driving from Udaipur to Mumbai in a single stretch.

Drive Safe,
R-Six
Which road is this, specifically? Is this the usual NH that goes from Udaipur to Ahmedabad or the SH that goes via Godhra to Baroda.

I'm planning to drive to Udaipur from Mumbai at the end of Dec, hence wanted to know.
Old 10th December 2018, 21:00   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Which road is this, specifically? Is this the usual NH that goes from Udaipur to Ahmedabad or the SH that goes via Godhra to Baroda.

I'm planning to drive to Udaipur from Mumbai at the end of Dec, hence wanted to know.
Refer to the alternate route here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks