Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2019, 09:25   #481
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Google shows Udaipur-Kishangarh-Makrana-Hanumangarh-Bhatinda-Amritsar as the fastest route. But I dont know how the route is.
This will be better then Delhi route as traffic beyond Kishangarh to Delhi and wait time at Toll can be crazy especially in nights. I have not yet personally traveled on this route but many people have recommended on my biking group. It’s safe to travel at any time but if you are with family, better avoid late night travel. There will be multiple Reliance pumps and Dhabbas. If you feel otherwise then take the panipat bypass little ahead of behror. Even though google might suggest you the new Manesar - Kundli bypass, avoid that due to the traffic conditions between Bawal and Manesar and then Kundli - Panipat is being 6 laned.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 14:31   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
No need to go till Delhi, you can go via Rohtak, Panipat, Karnal, Ambala. I have taken this route 2 years back and it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This will be better then Delhi route as traffic beyond Kishangarh to Delhi and wait time at Toll can be crazy especially in nights. I have not yet personally traveled on this route but many people have recommended on my biking group. It’s safe to travel at any time but if you are with family, better avoid late night travel.
Thanks. I will be starting from Udaipur in morning and driving thru the day. My worry about the Delhi route is the traffic especially the truck traffic which can slow you down. Also I have not done the Hanumanghar-Bhatinda route. But my experience with Rajasthan roads has been a mixed bag. So want to be doubly sure if it is worth taking this route or should I stick to the longer Rohtak route
Old 26th January 2019, 15:13   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Thanks. I will be starting from Udaipur in morning and driving thru the day. My worry about the Delhi route is the traffic especially the truck traffic which can slow you down. Also I have not done the Hanumanghar-Bhatinda route. But my experience with Rajasthan roads has been a mixed bag. So want to be doubly sure if it is worth taking this route or should I stick to the longer Rohtak route
If I remember right, we skipped Hanumangarh route for lack of facilities and it is more of 2L roads.

For route via Jaipur, Yes truck traffic was on the higher side post Jaipur. But we were able to manage. Also, it took us around 20 minutes at the toll on the Jaipur bypass. Once we deviated from Jaipur - Delhi highway and proceeded towards Rohtak, the traffic was less.

We started from Baroda at around 5:00AM and took Udaipur, Jaipur, Rohtak, Panipat route. We reached Karnal by 10:45PM and called it a day.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:05   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

I am planning a trip to Udaipur and Chittorgarh in end March. Is it a good time to visit the city?

Also I will be driving from Indore. How are the roads from Indore to Chittorgarh and Indore to Udaipur?

Thanks in advance,
Ashis
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:30   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am planning a trip to Udaipur and Chittorgarh in end March. Is it a good time to visit the city?
Not sure about Chittor, but Udaipur would have good morning weather and will get hotter during the day. Compared to Jodhpur ot Jaisalmer, Udaipur was pleasant. This was from my experience visiting RJ in early March, Udaipur was in early-mid 30s, Jodhpur was in mid-high 30s and Jaisalmer was in high 30s

Quote:
Also I will be driving from Indore. How are the roads from Indore to Chittorgarh and Indore to Udaipur?
Manpur-Lebad-Ratlam-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittor is 4-laned. Its part of a Bombay-Delhi alternate to NH8. There were some WIP sections in Nimbahera-Chittor, not sure they are complete now.

You being in Hyd, wouldn't doing NS corridor till Jhansi and Jhansi-Kota-Chittor work better?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:44   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Not sure about Chittor, but Udaipur would have good morning weather and will get hotter during the day. Compared to Jodhpur ot Jaisalmer, Udaipur was pleasant. This was from my experience visiting RJ in early March, Udaipur was in early-mid 30s, Jodhpur was in mid-high 30s and Jaisalmer was in high 30s

Manpur-Lebad-Ratlam-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittor is 4-laned. Its part of a Bombay-Delhi alternate to NH8. There were some WIP sections in Nimbahera-Chittor, not sure they are complete now.

You being in Hyd, wouldn't doing NS corridor till Jhansi and Jhansi-Kota-Chittor work better?
Thanks for the quick update. Mid-30s seems doable. I have to go to Indore for some work and will be driving as per current plan. I wanted to explore possible places in the vicinity since I am planning to go such distance. Indore/Bhopal can be my base location in my to-fro journey. Jhansi route seems out of place in my plan.
Old 8th February 2019, 15:03   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

I am thinking of doing a quick trip down to Rajasthan and back from Bangalore. I have 5 staying days at my disposal at the max. I would certainly like to spend time in Jaisalmer, Pushkar, and Udaipur.

What should my ideal plan be, and what apart from Jaisalmer, Pushkar, Udaipur? Will be alone on a motorcycle.

Will it be too hot by end Feb?

Last edited by Red Liner : 8th February 2019 at 15:10.
Old 8th February 2019, 16:20   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am thinking of doing a quick trip down to Rajasthan and back from Bangalore. I have 5 staying days at my disposal at the max.
Jaisalmer is 3 days drive/ride and Udaipur is 2.5 days. So if you just have 6D/5N at hand,it's simply not worth it. You should look at riding to MH or MP at the most.

Quote:
Manageable. I had responded the same question 2 posts above yours
Old 8th February 2019, 16:36   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Jaisalmer is 3 days drive/ride and Udaipur is 2.5 days. So if you just have 6D/5N at hand,it's simply not worth it. You should look at riding to MH or MP at the most.
I have 9 days in total, out of which 4 days go for up and down journey. So 5 days to spend fully immersed in Rajasthan. Works?
Old 9th February 2019, 03:45   #490
BHPian

Quote:
I have 9 days in total, out of which 4 days go for up and down journey. So 5 days to spend fully immersed in Rajasthan. Works?
Jaisalmer will need minimum 2 days. You will need one full day for local attractions and 1 day for Tanot and Longewala. I would advice you not to miss the Tanot and Longewala day trip as the drive alone there is worth visiting Rajasthan. Apart from this i would also suggest to spend one night in the sam sand dunes to experience sleeping in Tents and local culture.
Visiting Jaisalmer, Pushkar and Udaipur can't be done in 5 days. Jodhpur is in very close proximity to Jaisalmer so you can consider it.
Ranabegins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 10:36   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting to Jaisalmer from Bangalore alone will require 2.5 to 3 days. And as Rana says, Jaisalmer + Tanot/Longewala will take more than 2 days to explore.

I did this with 8 days encompassing Udaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer circuit and couldn't do justice. Jodhpur merely ended being a night stopover. And for this trip I flew into Udaipur and took the train out of Jaisalmer.

Bottomline: If you want to enjoy the place, 9 days is not enough.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:53   #492
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of doing a quick trip down to Rajasthan and back from Bangalore. I have 5 staying days at my disposal at the max. I would certainly like to spend time in Jaisalmer, Pushkar, and Udaipur.

What should my ideal plan be, and what apart from Jaisalmer, Pushkar, Udaipur? Will be alone on a motorcycle.

Reaching Jaisalmer from Bangalore would take 3 days and same while going back.
Since you have limited time, spend 2 days in Jaisalmer including 1 night stay in Sam sand dunes. (1 day local attraction, 1 day longewala) While returning you can come back via Udaipur. Visiting Udaipur city requires only 1 day.
Weather will not be an issue as it will be pleasant in Feb end.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 10:49   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Should work out if you can strike off some things on your list.

In Jaisalmer, cover the Tanot-Longewala circuit and stop at Sam/Khuri for a night stay. On Day 2 you could cover Kuldhara, and return to Jaisalmer. If you opt for a stay within the confines of the Fort, you can explore it on foot at leisure early in the day or late at night - trust me, it feels different at ungodly hours. There are a whole lot of tour guides prepared to take you to innumerable havelis dotted around the city. You can scout the net to identify a few, which you would want to see/experience. Speak to them and cover only those - otherwise they will make sure you keep running the whole day and won't enjoy any of the so-called "attractions". Oh, and do try out the local food (poha, mirchi pakoda, dal pakwan etc) in the Fort's narrow bylanes or even outside it. Lip-smacking stuff

All this would eat up about 3 days from your stay. Spend the 4th day in Jodhpur maybe, explore the city around the fort and start your ride back.

Like I said, you won't be able to cover everything but hey, there is always a next time. Once you experience the places a little, you will know where to spend more days the next time.

And if you don't prebook the hotels, you will have the flexibility to extend your stay anytime during the trip. Shortlist the places you would like to stay at, call them up and book the same day before arriving. Should work out fine in Feb.

ATB!!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 12th February 2019 at 10:50.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 10:59   #494
BHPian

how about covering GJ-->RJ: Barmer - Kiradu Temples - Munabao (^) - Sam Dunes - Jaisalmer - Tanot - Longewala - BP609 (^) - Jaisalmer - Barmer - return.

^ = special army permit needed to reach actual border site.

Depending on the return route, some more options with slight detour:

Rani Ki Vav (step-well) at Patan : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rani_ki_vav
Sun Temple at Modhera : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Temple,_Modhera
Auto World Vintage Car Museum, at outskirts of Ahmedabad : http://www.vccci.com/vintage-car-museum
Some more : Akshardham Temple and Science City at Gandhinagar, Amul Factory Visit at Anand

@ Kat : have a nice trip, you are missed in VIR :-)
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 16:18   #495
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am planning a road trip to Rajasthan in early April, and would need advice on following fronts:
  • I intend to start the trip with Udaipur as the first destination. Which would be the best route for BLR-UDP? Would it be via Pune-Mumbai-Vadodara-Ahmedabad? I intend to do it in 2 days - possible?
  • Best route from Udaipur to Jaisalmer? Via Jodhpur? If so, I can break there for a day to visit the mighty Mehrangarh fort.
  • I plan to spend 3 days in Jaisalmer. I know it would be HOT at that time of the year but unfortunately, that's the only time window I have. Question - any specific precautions to be taken for the car, other than checking coolant levels regularly?
  • While in Jaisalmer, I plan to visit the fort, Sam (or Khuri) dunes, Tanot, Longewala, and if time permits, Monabao too. Anything I missed?
  • Any recommended stay options, both in/near the city as well as on the dunes?
  • What would be the best route back from Jaisalmer to Bangalore? Can it be done in 2 days?

Will pop more queries down the line but for now, your valuable inputs to the above would be highly appreciated.

Cheers...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks