Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 20:41   #496
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Hi cool_dube,
I have done almost entire Rajasthan by car. I started from Delhi - Jaipur - Ajmer - chittorgarh - Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer - Delhi.

Regarding your query about stay in Jaisalmer, I will suggest you to stay in a Swiss Tent of one of the desert camps in Sam Doons. I stayed in Desert Spring Camp in December. Thy charged me approx 7,000 INR (2 guests in one tent, included evening cultural programme, snacks, dinner and breakfast, excluded jeep & camel safari and jeep). It was worth staying there. Amenities provided were 5 star. You may get better deal now since your trip will be in April (Before booking, please inquire about temperature there in April. I think it will be quite hot).

While traveling from Udaipur to Jaisalmer, if time permits, you can visit Kumbhalgarh fort. It is a majestic fort. Then you can proceed to Jodhpur. You will need to give one day in Jodhpur. There is Meharangarh fort, Jaswant thada (just opposite to the fort) and Umaid Bhavan palace.

There are numerous tourist places worth visiting in Rajasthan. You may have to cut short some of the places if time is less. The war museum just outskirts of Jaisalmer is also very good.
Nayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 23:29   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I am planning a road trip to Rajasthan in early April, and would need advice on following fronts:

Hi,

Please run below reply to your questions point wise:

1) BLR to Udaipur in 2 days is difficult. Driving to mumbai will require 15-16 hours if you go at a stretch. Mumbai to Ahmedabad is 8-10 hours and further Ahmedabad to Udaipur is 4.5 hours. Best you can do is BLR to mumbai in 1 day and then drive Udaipur the next day.

2) Udaipur to Jaisalmer is to be done via Jodhpur. You can stay overnight in Jodhpur, Mehrangarh will take couple of hours to see.

3) As a precaution please carry sufficient amount of water for yourself as well the car in case it heats up.

4) Suggest you to stay in Sam, there are many tent resorts which provide good deals. More or less you have listed everything. For more details you can check our travelogue of Jaisalmer Munabao trip https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...onda-br-v.html (Drive to the Thar desert : 1340 km, 2 days, Honda BR-V)

5) We stayed in Heritage Juma resort which is a nice property. You can check it over google for more options.

6) For return journey take the Jaisalmer Ahmedabad route but it won't be possible to reach Bangalore in 2 days. Jaisalmer to Ahmedabad is 10-11 hours.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd March 2019 at 22:51. Reason: Compacted quoted post
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 00:29   #498
BHPian

Anyone driving to Jaisalmer, make sure you chose your stay option after proper research. 80% of the stay options in Jaisalmer are either inside the Fort, or right outside the Fort in the narrow by-lanes. For the stay option in the Fort, you'll have to park it at the common parking area and it can get really messy and crowded there. As for the accommodation outside, most places will have only road side parking in the already narrow lane outside the hotel. I stayed in a hotel named Kavi Palace, this December which was outside the Fort but had a small private parking space for itself, which was very comforting. The rooms were average but being peak season, we didn't have much options anyway.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 22:38   #499
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning to do a Mumbai - Ajmer - Mumbai trip soon. Need advise on the best route as I have 5 days in hand.

Plan as follows -

Day 1 Thursday - Leave Mumbai at 4/5 AM

Short halt at Surat for breakfast early by 10 AM

Start driving to Udaipur with short breaks in between ahmedabad for lunch and reach Udaipur by nightfall 10 PM. - Is this route doable and what roads are suggested?

Start Next day early morning from Udaipur 9 AM reach Ajmer by 1 PM.

Ajmer Stay of 1 and a half day and start on Saturday night or Sunday morning as time permits

For return trip - planning to start Saturday night and reach Mumbai by Sunday night with halts in Ahmedabad or leave Sunday early morning and reach Mumbai by Monday Afternoon.

If anyone has suggestion let me know if the plan is looks doable?
Old 14th March 2019, 11:10   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyf1 View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning to do a Mumbai - Ajmer - Mumbai trip soon. Need advise on the best route as I have 5 days in hand.

Plan as follows -

Start driving to Udaipur with short breaks in between ahmedabad for lunch and reach Udaipur by nightfall 10 PM. - Is this route doable and what roads are suggested?

Start Next day early morning from Udaipur 9 AM reach Ajmer by 1 PM.

Ajmer Stay of 1 and a half day and start on Saturday night or Sunday morning as time permits

For return trip - planning to start Saturday night and reach Mumbai by Sunday night with halts in Ahmedabad or leave Sunday early morning and reach Mumbai by Monday Afternoon.

If anyone has suggestion let me know if the plan is looks doable?
Ghodbunder to Udaipur usually takes about 14-15hrs via Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Rishabdeo with breaks.

Ajmer-Udaipur will take you around 5-5.5hours.Udp-Ahmedabad is another 5hrs and Ahmedabad-Ghodbunder will take you another 8-9hrs (+- 1-2hrs)
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 12:32   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyf1 View Post

It is advisable to avoid Ahmedabad and take Surat- Baroda-Godhra-Shamlaji- Udaipur route. Its a nice four-lane road with very less traffic.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 12:35   #502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I am planning a road trip to Rajasthan in early April, and would need advice on following fronts:
A more basic question : Do you really want to do Rajasthan in April? Wont it be hot ?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 19:57   #503
BHPian

Guys, I am planning for 4 days Rajasthan trip. The route will be Gurgaon->Nakodaji->New Pawapuri->Udaipur->Jaipur->Gurgaon.

Need your help with:

1. Best route from Gurgaon to Nakodaji and further to New Pawapuri?
2. Decent hotels in Udaipur and Jaipur with secured car parking

Thanks!
Old 30th May 2019, 14:24   #504
BHPian

Hello Everyone. I plan to visit Jodhpur and Jaisalmer at the end of this June. The route plans are stated below:
1) Gurgaon to Jodhpur (solo night drive)- A) Ggn-neemrana-kotputli-jaipur-ajmer-jodhpur or B) Ggn-neemrana-kotputli-sikar-nagaur-jodhpur.
2) Jodhpur to Munabao via Barmer - How far can we go in and beyond Munabao without any permission?
3) Munabao to Jaisalmer via Phuliya.
4) Jaisalmer to Gurgaon (solo night drive) - via Nagaur-Sikar-Kotputli

Q1 - Are the roads in Rajasthan safe at night?
Q2 - Considering the temperature, any thing specific to address in the car - a 5.5 yrs old Polo 1.2 TDI. The AC is running fine in current Gurgaon heat. Filters changed at required intervals. Should I overfill the tyres (P3ST) a bit so that the rolling resistance is a bit low and less heat is generated?
Q3) Eagerly awaiting any other comments / suggestions.
Old 30th May 2019, 23:17   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Hello Everyone. I plan to visit Jodhpur and Jaisalmer at the end of this June. The route plans are stated below:

1) Gurgaon to Jodhpur (solo night drive)- A) Ggn-neemrana-kotputli-jaipur-ajmer-jodhpur or B) Ggn-neemrana-kotputli-sikar-nagaur-jodhpur.

2) Jodhpur to Munabao via Barmer - How far can we go in and beyond Munabao without any permission?

3) Munabao to Jaisalmer via Phuliya.

4) Jaisalmer to Gurgaon (solo night drive) - via Nagaur-Sikar-Kotputli

Q1 - Are the roads in Rajasthan safe at night?

Q2 - Considering the temperature, any thing specific to address in the car - a 5.5 yrs old Polo 1.2 TDI. The AC is running fine in current Gurgaon heat. Filters changed at required intervals. Should I overfill the tyres (P3ST) a bit so that the rolling resistance is a bit low and less heat is generated?

Q3) Eagerly awaiting any other comments / suggestions.

Answer to Point No.2

Civilians are allowed till the railway station which is 2.5 kms before the border. No permission is required to visit the station. We went there last year and requested the BSF official at entry point to allow us beyond the station which they agreed after little persuasion. They took us to a watch tower. However, we were not allowed to click photos beyond the station.

Munabao to Jaisalmer via Phuliya route has many points where there will be pile of sand on the roads making it difficult for the car to move. Keep pursuing locals if you foresee such situation.

I have detailed my experience in my travelogue. Link to which is mentioned below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...onda-br-v.html (Drive to the Thar desert : 1340 km, 2 days, Honda BR-V)

Regards
Abhik Banerjee
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 10:04   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Answer to Point No.2

Civilians are allowed till the railway station which is 2.5 kms before the border. No permission is required to visit the station. We went there last year and requested the BSF official at entry point to allow us beyond the station which they agreed after little persuasion. They took us to a watch tower. However, we were not allowed to click photos beyond the station.
Thanks a ton Abhik for the advice. Would stick to the main highways then, considering the meagre 168mm clearance, and me travelling solo.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st May 2019 at 10:26. Reason: Trimmed quoted post, as it's just above.
Old 24th June 2019, 12:31   #507
BHPian

Planning on driving from Bikaner to Jhansi. Google is throwing up a couple of route suggestions, prominent being the one through Bharatpur, on to Gwalior and then Jhansi. The other option is to drive through Sawai Madhopur and approach Jhansi from the West. The latter is approximately 50 km longer. Suggestions please.
Old 24th June 2019, 12:50   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Planning on driving from Bikaner to Jhansi. Google is throwing up a couple of route suggestions, prominent being the one through Bharatpur, on to Gwalior and then Jhansi. The other option is to drive through Sawai Madhopur and approach Jhansi from the West. The latter is approximately 50 km longer. Suggestions please.
Stick with via Bharatpur route. Smooth roads till Bharatpur, no idea about the road condition after that, but seems to be 4 lane on most part.

The Sawai Madhopur route goes through village roads. Attempt only if you are an adventure freak and okay with killing some additional time.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 06:58   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Take the Bharatpur - Gwalior route. Good road till Gwalior. After that road widenning work going on till Jhansi. So there will be diversions and few patches of rough and dusty road. But overall much much better than the Sawai Madhopur route.
Sandy28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:52   #510
BHPian

BE CAREFUL ON NH 48 near RATANPUR

This is what happened to me on the evening of 30th Aug (7.15pm).

I was on a road trip from Ahmedabad to Ajmer with my wife and 3 yo kid. We started on 30th at around 5pm from AMD and planned to stay the night in Udaipur and continue onwards in the morning.

NH 48 was quite busy with a lot of trucks and cars. Near Ratanpur, at around 7.15pm, I was doing around 60-70kph and on the left, someone was standing with a flashlight and he flashed the light at me and bang...he flung a large stone at the car at point blank...don't know what his intention was but luckily it missed all glass and hit the front passenger door just next to the door handle. I didn't slow down (obviously!!) I'm uploading the GIF made from the dashcam. You can see the white flashlight and the guy swinging to fling the stone. Also notice some light behind the guy. Wife says there were 2 more guys on a bike.

Read later that this was common a few years ago and has resurfaced now (feb 2019 news article). Apparently, that area is full of tribal settlements and these people throw stones mostly at passenger cars.

Checked with a few colleagues who are from RJ and they confirmed that this used to happen frequently in that area and even today they don't prefer taking the route after dark.
Attached Images

cpabhijit is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed