Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 10:22   #526
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Hello All,

Small query that I have regarding road condition, specifically in between Vadohara to Udaipur. I have gone through this forum and found that many BHPian have reported the road condition is not so great in between above mentioned cities and also safety concerns at Ratanpur, Rajasthan. So will it be feasible to do Pune - Udaipur in single day (leaving Pune as early as 03.00 hrs) ?

Frequent travellers can you please comment on this ?

Thank you,
Old 25th November 2019, 10:48   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay386 View Post
Small query that I have regarding road condition, specifically in between Vadohara to Udaipur.
Did Vadodara to Udaipur and back in one day on 23-11-2019. Road conditions good till Shamlaji. Post that, though the roads aren't exactly bad with too many diversions and some broken stretches, not bad enough to significantly impact average speed, but still there. I took Vadodara-Halol-Godhra-Modasa-Shamlaji-Ratanpur-Udaipur stretch. Once you are in Guajrat, traffic will increase and actually average speeds will drop. I did Vadoara-Udaipur stretch in 5.5 hours as I could escape some traffic on Saturday morning when I started from Vadodara.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:58   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay386 View Post
Hello All,

Small query that I have regarding road condition, specifically in between Vadohara to Udaipur. I have gone through this forum and found that many BHPian have reported the road condition is not so great in between above mentioned cities and also safety concerns at Ratanpur, Rajasthan. So will it be feasible to do Pune - Udaipur in single day (leaving Pune as early as 03.00 hrs) ?

Frequent travellers can you please comment on this ?

Thank you,
I recently did Pune - Udaipur and I left Pune at 5.30am and reached at 9.30pm. In hindsight I should have left earlier, as the road from Ratanpur to Udaipur is under construction with quite a few diversions. It was 6.30pm when I got this stretch and already dark. Most of the road does not have lane markings which make your headlights quite ineffective and was a pain to drive. There were some odd potholes but that should have been filled up now.

In summary, make sure you do this stretch during daylight. I enjoyed my 13.5 hour drive and the last 2.5 hours were really stressful due to the extra concentration required. Since you say you are planning to leave at 3am, you should be fine. Another thing, expect LOTS of truck traffic on the Thane to Vadodara stretch after which it clears out.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th November 2019 at 15:47. Reason: As requested.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 12:33   #529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP19 View Post
15th Leave Jodhpur by 10am and reach Udaipur and explore in the evening
16th Explore Udaipur
17th Explore Udaipur
18th Leave Udaipur by 4am and reach Bordi (my native)
19th Leave Bordi for Mumbai
On the whole looks OK. But if you plan to visit Ranakpur, Haldighati, Sreenathji and Ek Lingji, you will more time in Udaipur apart from city visit.

Maybe on the way back you can plan to visit one of these places (in case you want to visit). Else should be good. Place and lake takes most of a day given the crowd.
Old 26th November 2019, 22:33   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
1) Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Abu road-Pali-Ajmer-Jaipur

My suggestion would be go for route-1. Apart from little traffic between Ahmedabad and Palanpur, the roads are butter smooth and you will cover distance at breeze.
Are there any speed limits that we need to strictly adhere to? Or we can do 100-110kph on route-1?

I used to frequently do Mumbai-Surat till 2015 and cars would safely do 100kph outside of peak hours and in uninhabited areas. Not sure if the situation has changed now.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:09   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Are there any speed limits that we need to strictly adhere to? Or we can do 100-110kph on route-1?

I used to frequently do Mumbai-Surat till 2015 and cars would safely do 100kph outside of peak hours and in uninhabited areas. Not sure if the situation has changed now.
There aren’t any speed limits but yes I won’t suggest to go higher than 100-110 kmph. That is the best and safest speed to be done on these highways.
Old 1st December 2019, 07:36   #532
BHPian

Hi Akshay,

Yes you can do pune to Udaipur in a day, I did the other way from Udaipur to Pune in Nov18, started around 6.45AM and reached Pune by 10PM, this includes bfast/lunch breaks and /narmada river touch point at bharuch. We took udaipur- shamlaji-godhra- vadodara-surat route. Shamlaji- godhra-vadodra is good 4 lane highway giving good avg speeds above 75kmph....vadodara to mumbai is all the way 6 lane highway.

Uday
udaygk77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:24   #533
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys.

I am planning a Rajasthan tour in January starting 4th/5th January with my wife and my 9 year old. These are the cities I am going to visit.

Gurgaon - Udaipur
Udaipur - Jodhpur
Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer - Bikaner
Bikaner - Gurgaon

Please help me with an itinerary and and mid budget hotels.

Also, which car should I prefer - Grand i10 or Honda City for ease of local travel in the cities and parking point of view. Both are petrol, well maintained with ABS/Airbags and with new tyres.
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:14   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I recently did Pune - Udaipur and I left Pune at 5.30am and reached at 9.30pm. In hindsight I should have left earlier, as the road from Ratanpur to Udaipur is under construction with quite a few diversions. It was 6.30pm when I got this stretch and already dark. Most of the road does not have lane markings which make your headlights quite ineffective and was a pain to drive. There were some odd potholes but that should have been filled up now.
I am planning the exact same route and, even though now the plan has become tentative, I am hopeful it will materialize in the end.
My plan is for the 14th, to leave Pune between 3-4am and hope to reach Nathdwara (an hour from Udaipur) same day by night.

Have already noted your point of the bad patch towards the end and hopefully I can reach it during daylight.

Any other points you suggest to keep in mind?

Here's a link to my original query posted elsewhere.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4695096 (Pune - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Mt. Abu - Mumbai : Route Queries)

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 3rd December 2019 at 19:16.
Old 4th December 2019, 04:05   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Hi Guys.

I am planning a Rajasthan tour in January starting 4th/5th January with my wife and my 9 year old. These are the cities I am going to visit.

Gurgaon - Udaipur
Udaipur - Jodhpur
Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer - Bikaner
Bikaner - Gurgaon

Please help me with an itinerary and and mid budget hotels.

Also, which car should I prefer - Grand i10 or Honda City for ease of local travel in the cities and parking point of view. Both are petrol, well maintained with ABS/Airbags and with new tyres.

To begin with you can take Honda city as its more comfortable and the roads in Rajasthan are excellent. I did Gurgaon to Jaisalmer and from there to Jodhpur, Ranthambore and Jaipur in Nov 2018.

Jaisalmer will require two and half days, I would suggest 1 night in sand dunes in one of the camps along with camel and jeep safari. The 2nd day would be for local attractions and the 3rd should be to visit Tanot and Longewala. Apart from this 1 full day is enough for Jodhpur, Udaipur and Bikaner. I would recommend trying to add Ranthambore in the itinerary if possible.
Ranabegins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:02   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I am planning a Rajasthan tour...
Plan changed. Now, I am planning to do:

Day-1
Gurgaon – Chittorgarh
Chittorgarh Fort – Light and Sound Show
(Night Stay in Chittorgarh)

Day-2
Chittorgarh Fort
Nathdwara Temple
Udaipur
(Night Stay in Udaipur)

Day-3
Udaipur Sightseeing (Lakes, etc.)
(Night Stay in Udaipur)

Day-4
Udaipur Sightseeing (City Palace, etc.) before lunch time
Udaipur – Mount Abu
(Night Stay in Mount Abu)

Day-5
Mount Abu Sightseeing
(Night Stay in Mount Abu)

Day-6
Mount Abu – Ranakpur Temple - Kumbhalgarh Fort – Ajmer (reaching Jaipur seems difficult, have been to Ajmer, just night stay)
(Night Stay in Ajmer)

Day-7
Ajmer – Jaipur
Bapu Bazar (Jaipur)
Jaipur – Gurgaon

Please suggest is it doable or I need to make any changes to this itinerary. Thanks.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 12:41   #537
BHPian

Hi
Reposting from another thread because of no replies and part of the route drives into RJ as well. Please advise.

Planning a trip to GJ and RJ in Jan 2020 from Dombivli.
We are six of us including my parents and wife's parents. No kids. We'll be doing this in an ertiga.
All distances and time duration taken from Gmaps as suggested.

Day 1 : 421 : 8hrs 21min
Dombivli to Statue of Unity (stay)

Day 2
SoU to Dakor : 152kms : 3hrs
Dakor to Talod : 91kms : 2.2hrs

Day 3&4
Talod to Shamlaji : 72km : 1.4hr
Udaipur(stay) : 131km : 2.43hr
Nathdwara : 46kms : 1hr
Back to Udaipur

Day 5
Udaipur to Ambaji : 172kms : 3hrs
Ambaji to Mount Abu : 50kms : 1.5hrs
Stay

Day 6&7
Mount Abu to Ahmedabad : 230km : 5hrs
Ahmedabad to Anand : 77 : 1.5hrs

Day 8
Anand to Dombivli : 450kms. : 9hrs

Please help with route options as well as stay options especially for day 2.
Is there anything along the route (or a slight detour) that I am missing out on?
Old 12th December 2019, 18:53   #538
BHPian

Your plan seems ok. However I will suggest few pointers below:

1) staying at talod is not a suitable option. You can halt at himmatnagar which is nearby. There are many hotels on the main highway itself.
2) Udaipur-Himmatnagar stretch has lot of ongoing road construction activity. Keep some time handy.
3) Udaipur to Ambaji stretch will also need about 4 hours time due to road widening work at many places.
4) See if you can accommodate an extra day for Udaipur and mount abu since you will get very less time with the current plan.
5) Book your stay and other program at SOU in advance.

Thanks
Abhik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Hi
Reposting from another thread because of no replies and part of the route drives into RJ as well. Please advise.

Planning a trip to GJ and RJ in Jan 2020 from Dombivli.
We are six of us including my parents and wife's parents. No kids. We'll be doing this in an ertiga.
All distances and time duration taken from Gmaps as suggested.

Day 1 : 421 : 8hrs 21min
Dombivli to Statue of Unity (stay)

Day 2
SoU to Dakor : 152kms : 3hrs
Dakor to Talod : 91kms : 2.2hrs

Day 3&4
Talod to Shamlaji : 72km : 1.4hr
Udaipur(stay) : 131km : 2.43hr
Nathdwara : 46kms : 1hr
Back to Udaipur

Day 5
Udaipur to Ambaji : 172kms : 3hrs
Ambaji to Mount Abu : 50kms : 1.5hrs
Stay

Day 6&7
Mount Abu to Ahmedabad : 230km : 5hrs
Ahmedabad to Anand : 77 : 1.5hrs

Day 8
Anand to Dombivli : 450kms. : 9hrs

Please help with route options as well as stay options especially for day 2.
Is there anything along the route (or a slight detour) that I am missing out on?
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:11   #539
BHPian

Hi Road Gurus,

I am planning my Rajasthan road trip from 23rd Dec. Below is the day wise schedule.

Experts please suggest if this would be ok do considering we are two couples with 2.5yr and 5 yr daughters. I will be travelling in XUV500 from Pune and plan to travel in daylight as much as possible.

Day 1: 24 Dec
Pune- Mumbai- Vadodara/Ahmedabad ( 660km)
Starting at 2 pm from Mumbai

Day 2: 25 Dec
Vadodara/Ahmedabad- Udaipur (350km)
via Halol- Godhra- Shamlaji

Day 3- Udaipur local and stay

Day 4- Udaipur to Jodhpur (250km)
via- Nadol- Pali

Day 5- Jodhpur Local and stay

Day 6- Jodhpur to Jaisalmer(281km)
via Pokhran

Day 7- Jaisalmer- Sand Dunes (50km)

Day 8- Jaisalmer- Ahmedabad(536km)
Via Barmer- Palanpur

Day 9-Ahmedabad- Pune(660km)
via Mumbai

Please suggest right routes to take and any other location which can be covered during this journey. Need to know this in advance to time breaks properly as I am travelling with kids.

I have not included Longewala due to limited holidays.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th December 2019, 21:59   #540
BHPian

Hi guys

I'm planning a road trip to Jaisalmer from Delhi. For onward journey I'll be travelling via Bikaner and return via Ajmer.

Request advise which is the best route to go to Bikaner? Google is showing three routes. I'll be traveling with wife and two kids.

Thanks in advance
Sushil

Most Viewed