Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanx for these,guess will re-work to go to Jaisalmer first,the Barmer-J'mer road looks quite tempting to drive on.
158 kms in 1.5 hours, that is how fast the Barmer-Jaisalmer road is.
And you can do Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer easily in under 7 hours if you are fast!
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

By the way, I am planning to do Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner and maybe Barmer in February next year. I will do these from Bombay. Number of days is ten, give or take one/two days. I wish to spend at least two days in Jodhpur, doing Chittar Palace, Mehrangarh, Kailana Lake and Mandor.

hvk, anainar, SS Traveller,

Please recommend an itinerary with a route.

Regards
>>> hvk, anainar, SS Traveller, ramkya,

This is for you to advise me on

Regards
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Issigonis, how does this route plan sound?

D1: Bombay-Ahmedabad-Barmer
D2: Barmer-Jaisalmer
D3: Jaisalmer
D4: Jaislamer
D5: Jaisalmer-Bikaner
D6: Bikaner-Jodhpur
D7: Jodhpur
D8: Jodhpur
D9: Jodhpur-Palanpur-Ahmedabad
D10: Ahmedabad-Bombay
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:25   #49
BHPian

Four nights in Jaisalmer? Aint that a little too much? Or you are a desert cat HVK?

But the plan looks fine, except I would cut a day in Jaisalmer. Am not sure whether you can do much for four days.

Two days in Jodhpur is good enough as well. Mehrangarh. Which means you can do this circuit in 8 days. I dont have to tell you about the roads. They are fantastic with no uncertainties.

Let me know if you need contact details of the places for stay in these places. The places I stayed cost around Rs.1500 a day, except the tent in Jaisalmer which was Rs.2500. When I tried booking online with providers they were asking for Rs4500-5000. I drove into the RTDC office in Jaisalmer and the caught hold a tent guy. Jodhpur was at a homestay called Indrashan and very neat, cozy place.

Nainar
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:27   #50
BHPian

---------------------------------------------------
Issigonis, how does this route plan sound?

D1: Bombay-Ahmedabad-Barmer
D2: Barmer-Jaisalmer
D3: Jaisalmer
D4: Jaislamer
D5: Jaisalmer-Bikaner
D6: Bikaner-Jodhpur
D7: Jodhpur
D8: Jodhpur
D9: Jodhpur-Palanpur-Ahmedabad
D10: Ahmedabad-Bombay
----------------------------------------------------
>>>This is ripping Sir!

The only thing left for me to do is to research the i. must see and ii. good to see places. Re. Jodhpur, I have a fair idea, plus need some time there to locate some old family friends.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 3rd September 2010 at 12:29. Reason: Included the quoted portion
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

anainar, it is only 3 nights in Jodhpur - D6, D7 and D8. IT is because issignois wanted extra time in Jodhpur for non-touristy visits.
I added Barmer because he wanted to go to Barmer.
There is a buffer for a situation if he does not reach Barmer on D1, he may stay over at Palanpur and arrive on D2 only. He will take some time off there, then travel t Jaisalmer. So there is no D2 at Jaisalmer, only N2.
I assumed he may want to spend a night in the sand dunes out of Jaisalmer, hence the 3rd night at Jaislamer and extra day.
He arrives at Bikaner by noon, looks around, maybe spends some more time the next morning, then leaves by noon for Jodhpur.

issigonis, some benchmark for timings (from my own trips), considering the high-speed RJ roads:

Barmer-Jaisalmer, 158 kms, 1.50 hrs
Jaisalmer-Bikaner, 340 kms, 4.5 hrs
Bikaner-Jodhpur, 250 kms, 3 hrs
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:11   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
anainar, it is only 3 nights in Jodhpur - D6, D7 and D8. IT is because issignois wanted extra time in Jodhpur for non-touristy visits.
I added Barmer because he wanted to go to Barmer.
There is a buffer for a situation if he does not reach Barmer on D1, he may stay over at Palanpur and arrive on D2 only. He will take some time off there, then travel t Jaisalmer. So there is no D2 at Jaisalmer, only N2.
I assumed he may want to spend a night in the sand dunes out of Jaisalmer, hence the 3rd night at Jaislamer and extra day.
He arrives at Bikaner by noon, looks around, maybe spends some more time the next morning, then leaves by noon for Jodhpur.

issigonis, some benchmark for timings (from my own trips), considering the high-speed RJ roads:

Barmer-Jaisalmer, 158 kms, 1.50 hrs
Jaisalmer-Bikaner, 340 kms, 4.5 hrs
Bikaner-Jodhpur, 250 kms, 3 hrs
Ok, Ok, I see the point now. I counted D9 also which is not the case.

The timings are spot on. Jaisalmer to Binker roads are arrow straight at many places with sparse traffic. I think the case is the same in Barmer - Jaisalmer.Pali - Jodhpur section had heavy truck traffic on the day I was there, but that was a small section. And it was a two laned highway. So average speed comes down.

Nainar
Old 4th September 2010, 18:46   #53
BHPian

we planning for Rajasthan trip between 30th Sept to 9th Oct. We have already booked train tickets from Hyd.
Plan -
Leave Hyd at 6.0am on 30th & reach Agra at 6am on 1st Oct
Again leave Delhi(5.30pm) or Agra (8.30pm) on 9th Oct.

After reading thru all posts, we plan to cover
1st Oct Agra & reach Jaipur by night
2nd Oct Jaipur
3rd Jaipur to Bikaneer
4th Bikaner to Jaiselmer
5th Jaiselmer
6th Jaiselmer to Jodhpur
8th Jodhpur to Udaipur
9th Udaipur....

not able to complete the loop.. need advice from guru's like HVK sir..
Tks
Hemanth
Old 4th September 2010, 22:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
we planning for Rajasthan trip between 30th Sept to 9th Oct. We have already booked train tickets from Hyd.
Plan -

2nd Oct Jaipur
3rd Jaipur to Bikaneer
4th Bikaner to Jaiselmer
5th Jaiselmer
6th Jaiselmer to Jodhpur
8th Jodhpur to Udaipur
9th Udaipur....

Tks
Hemanth
Routing is perfect, but you have simply run out of days!
So either you take a train from Udaipur or cut something out of the itinerary, either Bikaner or Udaipur.

It could be Jaipur-Jodhpur(3)-Jaisalmer(4)-Jodhpur-Udaipur(6)-Jaipur(8), or
Jaipur-Bikaner (3)-Jaisalmer (4)-Jodhpur (6)-Jaipur (8)
Old 4th September 2010, 23:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plan -

2nd Oct Jaipur
3rd Jaipur to Bikaneer
4th Bikaner to Jaiselmer
5th Jaiselmer
6th Jaiselmer to Jodhpur
8th Jodhpur to Udaipur
9th Udaipur....

Tks
Hemanth
If you leave by evening from Udaipur, reach Ahmedabad by night, 4 hours by bus / cab. You can leave on 10th morning by flight or see if you can book a train to Hyderabad from Ahmedabad. This would be the best way to optimize your time.

If you can spend one more day in Udaipur, a vist to Ranakpur would be worth the time and effort. Any help you would need for stay etc., at Ahmedabad, let me know.

--Ramky
=====
Old 4th September 2010, 23:18   #56
BHPian

Tks Ramky & HVK sir..
reworked our train timings.. I have again booked train tickets from Delhi on 10th. So we will have 1 more day extra.
we need to be there at Delhi @ 5.30pm or Agra @8.30pm.
Hope we can book ticket from Delhi & board at Agra. This will some time for us..

We will be taking self driven Innova for rent at Delhi or Agra. So we may have to leave innova from where we had taken. If not, returning from Ahmedabad looks better. But for 10th Oct Train tickets from Ahmedabad are in waiting list already..
Old 4th September 2010, 23:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plan -

2nd Oct Jaipur
3rd Jaipur to Bikaneer
4th Bikaner to Jaiselmer
5th Jaiselmer
6th Jaiselmer to Jodhpur
8th Jodhpur to Udaipur
9th Udaipur....

Tks
Hemanth
You could cover Ranakpur/Kumbhalgarh on your way from Jodhpur to Udaipur.

On the 9th from Udaipur you could come to Ahmedabad take a flight back straight to HYd,spicejet/indigo etc have direct flights to Hyd.My recco would be the same as HVK,you could give Bikaner a miss.
Old 4th September 2010, 23:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tks Ramky & HVK sir..
reworked our train timings.. I have again booked train tickets from Delhi on 10th. So we will have 1 more day extra.
we need to be there at Delhi @ 5.30pm or Agra @8.30pm.
Hope we can book ticket from Delhi & board at Agra. This will some time for us..

We will be taking self driven Innova for rent at Delhi or Agra. So we may have to leave innova from where we had taken. If not, returning from Ahmedabad looks better. But for 10th Oct Train tickets from Ahmedabad are in waiting list already..
This would mean you have to drive all the way back from UDP to Del,which is quite a long haul and a waste of an entire day.

You could rework your itinerary to Del-Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-Delhi.This way you would be able to optimise your days in Rajasthan,and the drive back to Delhi on the last day would be a relatively shorter one as compared to the Udp-Del drive.
Old 5th September 2010, 11:15   #59
BHPian

Tka Ranjitp1,
Initially thought the same route. The distance between Del & Bikaner looks to be a long one but doable. How much time does it take to reach there. We planned to see Mandawa & jhunjunu on our way to Bikaner. Hope in this route these places can be covered. Our train reaches Delhi some where around 10am

We have booked our return tickets from Delhi. Train stops at Agra. Is it possible to alight at Agra or the TT will sell to some else by the time train reaches Agra.
Alighting at Agra is Ideal as we can save quite a lot of time.
Old 5th September 2010, 11:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tka Ranjitp1,
Initially thought the same route. The distance between Del & Bikaner looks to be a long one but doable. How much time does it take to reach there. We planned to see Mandawa & jhunjunu on our way to Bikaner. Hope in this route these places can be covered. Our train reaches Delhi some where around 10am
others who have done this route would be able to advise on this,IMO,it shouldnt take more than 10-12hrs with breaks @ Mandawa & Jhunjhunu,which would mean that you should be able to reach Bikaner by 9-10pm.(assuming the trains are on time and you are able to leave Del by 11)

Quote:
We have booked our return tickets from Delhi. Train stops at Agra. Is it possible to alight at Agra or the TT will sell to some else by the time train reaches Agra.
Alighting at Agra is Ideal as we can save quite a lot of time.
I guess you meant "board" the train at Agra?

It is possible,you have this facility on indian railways.To do this,you need to go to any of the PRS counters with your ticket and fill in the change of station form and hand it over to the booking clerk,they would then issue a new ticket with the boarding station mentioned on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks