Team-BHP - Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/86884-rajasthan-road-trip-queries-8.html)

Sorry for suddenly vanishing. Thanks all for the inputs. Better late than never.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3389653)
Good to check with others. My take:

New-Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Nagaur-Jaisalmer

ampere: While going I took this route. 14 hours 20 minutes. I had to cut through the towns of Ajmer and Pushkar to connect to Nagaur. This took about an 1 hour 30 minutes or slightly more. If there is a bypass, no one I asked in these towns told me about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvp (Post 3389880)
Nayak, I did Jaipur - Ramgarh-Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Pushkar-Jaipur last October and roads are excellent on all the routes. But, I am not sure about the most optimum route from Delhi to Jaisalmer. (may be via Bikaner could be the choice)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvp (Post 3389880)
If you happen to go to Jaisalmer and have time, try visiting Tanot matta temple, which is about 125 km from Jaisalmer towards the border.

22 Km from Tanot matta temple is the International boundary with Pakistan and you need permission from BSF to visit the border posts/camps.

mvp: I returned via Jaisalmer - Bikaner - Fatehpur - Sikar - Chomu - Delhi bypass. 10 hours 15 minutes. As I was in Jaisalmer for 1 day only, I decided to limit my visit to the Fort. My primary aim was to drive down to Jaisalmer and I wanted to know how much time does it take if I were to drive without any break. But these suggestions are well noted and will be acted upon when I go there later this year with my family. This was a solo trip. My first travel write up with pictures should come up over the weekend. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secretariat (Post 3391205)
Totally second mvp. Tanot is not to be missed. I was there in February. Road are very good.[/list]

Secretariat: The roads are fantastic. Be it the NH or the SH. The bad stretch is the Delhi - Jaipur road. NHAI seriously needs to do something about this. There are big holes in the road. No warning whatsoever that there are these huge holes in the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak (Post 3396212)
Sorry for suddenly vanishing. Thanks all for the inputs. Better late than never.
ampere: While going I took this route. 14 hours 20 minutes. I had to cut through the towns of Ajmer and Pushkar to connect to Nagaur. This took about an 1 hour 30 minutes or slightly more. If there is a bypass, no one I asked in these towns told me about.

There is a bypass I think. Here is the link : Route Link

However I don't know the road condition on the bypass.

Quote:

Secretariat: The roads are fantastic. Be it the NH or the SH. The bad stretch is the Delhi - Jaipur road. NHAI seriously needs to do something about this. There are big holes in the road. No warning whatsoever that there are these huge holes in the road.
I thought the situation on NH8 had improved and hence suggested Jaipur option. Sorry for the pain. The other thought was you may get for facilities on GQ compared to Bikaner option.

Dear TBhpians

With an extended weekend coming up, I am trying to make the best use of it by hitting the road. Initially thought of touring Kutch, but am strongly adivised against it as this seems to be a wrong time to visit the desert. There will be water and we can not step into the rann (esp after the recent rain spell).

So now am looking at Rajasthan for a 4-day trip from 2nd Oct to 5th Oct. We are husband, wife, son (5yrs) and daughter (1.5 yrs) traveling in a Verna.

Whats on my mind right now is as below:

Day 1 - Ahmedabad - Chittorgarh - Sawai Madhopur (approx 350 km each stretch)
Start early morning around 4am. Reach Chittorgarh by 10 am and visit fort. Post lunch depart around 2 pm to reach Sawai Madhopur by around 8 pm.

Day 2 - Sawai Madhopur - Ajmer (approx 300 km)
Morning do jungle safari followed by local siteseeing. Around 2 pm depart to reach Ajmer by 7 pm

Day 3 - Ajmer local

Day 4 - Ajmer - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Abad (approx 600 km)
Start early around 8 am. Reach Kumbhalgarh and visit fort and Ranakpur temples. Reach Ahmedabad by 9 pm

I am trying to figure out the availability of the jungle safari on 3rd Oct. Meanwhile need your inputs and suggestions on the feasibility of the above itinerary in terms of my driving time calculations, road conditions, suggestions on accomodation, anything of interest that i can see in between 2 destinations, availability of fuel bunks and eateries enroute etc.

Thanks in advance
Sandy

I am keen to travel to Rajasthan on my Enfield in mid-Oct. A 7-day roadtrip is really less for a state like Rajasthan so I will be basically visiting the key places and proceed.

Please let me know about the road conditions and other necessary inputs based on my itinerary:

Day 1: Mumbai - Palanpur (700 kms)

Day 2: Palanpur - Jaisalmer (400 kms) [Visit Jaisalmer Fort before sunset]

Day 3: Jaisalmer - Sam - Jodhpur (360 kms) [Visit Sam, Meherangarh Fort, Umaid Bhavan Palace]

Day 4: Jodhpur - Bullet Baba - Kumbhalgarh Fort - Chittorgarh (350 kms) [Visit Bullet Baba Temple, Kumbhalgarh Fort, Chittorgarh Fort]

Day 5: Chittorgarh - Haldi Ghati - Udaipur (170 kms) [Visit Haldi Ghati, Lake Pichola, City Palace, Fateh Sagar Lake, Vintage Car Museum]

Day 6: Udaipur - Anand (340 kms) [Stay at a friend's place]

Day 7: Anand - Mumbai (470 kms)

Any other places of interest that can be squeezed in? I wanted to visit Longewala as well, but given my tight schedule I guess it will not be possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy28 (Post 3536420)
Dear TBhpians

With an extended weekend coming up, I am trying to make the best use of it by hitting the road. Initially thought of touring Kutch, but am strongly adivised against it as this seems to be a wrong time to visit the desert. There will be water and we can not step into the rann (esp after the recent rain spell).

So now am looking at Rajasthan for a 4-day trip from 2nd Oct to 5th Oct. We are husband, wife, son (5yrs) and daughter (1.5 yrs) traveling in a Verna.

Start early morning around 4am. Reach Chittorgarh by 10 am and visit fort. Post lunch depart around 2 pm to reach Sawai Madhopur by around 8 pm.

Morning do jungle safari followed by local siteseeing. Around 2 pm depart to reach Ajmer by 7 pm

Day 3 - Ajmer local

Start early around 8 am. Reach Kumbhalgarh and visit fort and Ranakpur temples. Reach Ahmedabad by 9 pm

I am trying to figure out the availability of the jungle safari on 3rd Oct. Meanwhile need your inputs and suggestions on the feasibility of the above itinerary in terms of my driving time calculations, road conditions, suggestions on accomodation, anything of interest that i can see in between 2 destinations, availability of fuel bunks and eateries enroute etc.

Thanks in advance
Sandy

No reply from any of my TBHPIAN brothers n sisters :Shockked:
Pl share your inputs as it will help me plan and enjoy my trip better. Its your 'roady' duty :-)

I am not sure if Ajmer is worth 2 nights going by the various reviews I have ben reading about the place. But then not sure what other place to cover given that I need to be back in Ahmedabad by 5th night. Pl suggest

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy28 (Post 3536420)

Clean route. 4-lane till Chittorh and then to Sawai Madhopur via Bundi.

Quote:

Either via Lalsot or via Tonk and then latch on to 4-lane at Dudu.
(I dont know the other road condition as of today).

Quote:

Hectic. I would say you should break here and start the next day.
Decent roads to Kumbhalgarh.

Once done start the next and latch on to GQ either at Nathdwara or at Udaipur depending on where you stay.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I am planning to travel Pune to Jaisalmer in mid of the October. Please help me in figuring out -

1. whether below one is still the best route to bypass Mumbai (solely traffic) Madness. I will be staying at Nerul to make a early morning start onward, please help

2. Pointers on how to bypass Ahmedabad to take Mehsana-Palanpur-Barmar-Jaisalmer route

thanks to HVK on the detailed trip logs and following excerpts from 2012 post :

<<Quote --

HOW TO BYPASS BOMBAY via New Bombay - from South side

Zero point is Kalamboli where the Pune- Bombay expressway ends.

Keep going towards Bombay. You will cross several flyovers through Kharghar and Belapur. Belapur can be identified by the large number of office buildings to the left (including Konkan Bhavan, Park Hotel). After Belapur, the road climbs up a hill and comes down to the other side. The traffic signal at that junction is the Uran Phata. After crossing that signal you will cross Nerul (you will see the light pillars of the DY Patil cricket stadium on your left), and you climb up a flyover after crossing Nerul.

Expressway end-Belapur, 8 kms

Ahead of the Nerul flyover, you will see a complicated flyover coming up (the Turbhe flyover). Over the flyover is Bombay(it curves away to the left). Your road is the road to Thane (marked straight)( keep to the right and avoid going on the flyover). This place is Turbhe. Keep going straight and you will reach a messy junction with a signal and then a flyover curving away to the left. Keep below the flyover to the left (flyover starts to the right) and keep going straight. SET your trip meter here, since from here (Turbhe) exactly 10 kms you have to take a turn.

Belapur-Turbhe Flyover, 7 kms

You are now going on the Thane- Belapur road - goes through industrial area. First you will cross Turbhe Railway Station (RS) on your left. You will see a few flyovers – take only the straight subway type flyovers and avoid the 2 ones which curve to your left. You will see the Reliance Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge City (DAKC) to your right. You will cross the Rabale and Kopar Khairne RS to your left.

10 kms from Turbhe, the road goes down into a subway and in the subway, turn left. This is Airoli, and the subway (after you turn left) goes under the railway line. DONT go straight although that also goes to Thane. The left turn will be marked for MULUND.

Turbhe-Airoli, 10 kms

Keep going on this road ( the Airoli Bridge road) and you will cross the Thane Creek (1 km bridge), at the end of which there is a toll gate (Rs 30). Followed by an octroi gate.

You will hit the Eastern Expressway (EEH) - flyover going from left to right. Left goes to Ghakopar/Bombay, straight to Mulund, and you turn right towards Thane. Down this road after 1 km is a flyover after which is a toll gate (Rs 30). After the toll gate, you will see trucks line up at another octroi gate and a stone tower, indicating that you have left Bombay and entered Thane. The road goes up a slope and when you come down that slope you see a flyover. Go over the flyover. 1 km down the road around a long curve, you will see another flyover - go on it - and this is a 1.5 km elevated road.

After you come down this long flyover, you will see yet another flyover - sign boards saying Ahmedabad, Nasik (on flyover).DO NOT take this flyover - go underneath (left side). The road meets traffic coming from the left, and curves to the left to meet first a small junction, then a small round. Keep going straight - you are now in the Ghodbunder road. You will see the Cinemax multiplex on your left, Ford showroom on your right.

Go on this road 16 kms and you will reach the NH8 junction at Ghodbunder (immediately after a toll gate - Rs 15), which is after you climb up and down a small ghat. Some flyovers under construction on this road.

At the NH8 junction, turn right (left goes to Dahisar/Bombay) and it is all the way.

This whole journey should take you 1-1.15 hours. The only traffic blockage you may face is at Thane near the last flyover on the route.

DON’T take the road from Kalamboli via Taloja, Shilphata, Mumbra and Kalwa to Thane, it is shorter but road condition is not good

Jaipur is a 51-km bypass on NH8 itself. Some sections are being widened, expect traffic jams.

Allahabad bypass on NH2 is 75 kms long, please take care to refuel, etc since there are no facilities in this sector.

Quote end >>

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanstorm (Post 3545460)

1. whether below one is still the best route.....it is shorter but road condition is not good

Yes it still holds good,it is the right way to bypass Mumbai coming from Pune.Early morning it shouldnt take you more than an hour to reach NH8 from Nerul.

Take the Baroda-AMD expressway and at the end of the expressway take the SP Ring Road and follow the map

https://goo.gl/maps/NTjNN

Hi,
Me and my parents are planning a trip to Rajasthan in the 3rd/4th week of november. Tentative dates are 18th to 22nd November. We stay in Navi Mumbai and will be travelling to and fro by air. This is NOT a road trip. Reasons? My father is not confident if he can drive long distances due to his age and health.I am the only one in the house who can drive long distances and we own a petrol car. Rental cabs there are our only option.

This is our plan.
18th - Land in Jaipur around noon, check in, lunch, sightseeing, stay at Jaipur.
19th - Leave Jaipur early in the morning for Ajmer and Pushkar. Spend the day there. Stay at Ajmer/Jaipur.
20th - Leave Ajmer early in the morning for Ranthambore, Do a safari and the usual stuff. Either stay at Ranthambore or ride back to Jaipur and spend the night there.
21st - Another day to see Jaipur. Stay at jaipur.
22nd - Afternoon flight back to navi mumbai.

Ajmer and Ranthambore can't be skipped. So that does not leave much room for visiting other cities.

Here is my line of thought for planning this trip this way.

1. Reason for keeping Jaipur for the first and the last day.
A. We can visit the market and forts/mahals that are open during the evening on day 1. Since most mahals and temples close down at sunset, we will be there on the last day too. On the last day we would like to be well rested before our flight back home rather than doing a 3-5 hour long trip form Ranthambore or Ajmer to the airport.

2. Why only Ajmer and Ranthambore?
A. Dad wants to visit Ajmer, I want to visit Ranthambore and mom wants to see all those mahals in jaipur. Good thing the airport is at jaipur :)

3. Why only 3 cities?
A. We (Read I) prefer a chilled out trip rather than visiting 10 places in one day for 20 minutes each.

What I need advice on :
1. Is this a good travel plan? If no, can you suggest an alternative? Ajmer and ranthambore have to be included.

2. Good places to stay in all the 3 cities. Nothing fancy. A decent and CLEAN 3 star would be good.

3. Reliable cab/rental services. Would like to get the vehicle booked before we land there. If anyone has any contacts, do let me know.

4. Any other cities that we can add to this without making it a ride-for-5-hours-a-day trip?

I wish to book the flights in the next couple of days.

Regards,
V

Ajmer Ranthambore is going to be a long drive. I figure it would be five to six hours - more like latter if you are using a hire cab.

If this is a must then I'd say on day one go from airport to Ajmer. Should be about two to two and half hour max. Evening there and morning. Day 2 move to Ranthambore. Do evening and morning safari. Day 3 after safari drive to Jaipur. Explore Jaipur.

Arya Niwas Jaipur is a good option to stay. If home stay is preferred at Jaipur, Rawla Rawatstar is a good option. Both have clean rooms, good service and good food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bread (Post 3561923)
Hi,
20th - Leave Ajmer early in the morning for Ranthambore, Do a safari and the usual stuff. Either stay at Ranthambore or ride back to Jaipur and spend the night there.
21st - Another day to see Jaipur. Stay at jaipur.
22nd - Afternoon flight back to navi mumbai.
2. Good places to stay in all the 3 cities. Nothing fancy. A decent and CLEAN 3 star would be gool.
Regards,
V

Ajmer ranthambore jaipur in 1 day is not possible. Distance is more and you will neither be able to do the morning or evening safari. I will suggest that you first go to ajmer, stay overnight and cover ajmer n pushkar. From ajmer leave for rranthambore post lunch. Next day you can do morning safari , visit the fort and do the evening safari. If it becomes too hectic, you can stay 1 more night. Then move to Jaipur and spend 2 days there.

You can chekout hotel ananta palace at ranthambore ans hotel embasy at ajmer. Good places at reasonable cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 3561963)
Ajmer Ranthambore is going to be a long drive. I figure it would be five to six hours - more like latter if you are using a hire cab.

If this is a must then I'd say on day one go from airport to Ajmer. Should be about two to two and half hour max. Evening there and morning. Day 2 move to Ranthambore. Do evening and morning safari. Day 3 after safari drive to Jaipur. Explore Jaipur.

thank you for your input. the plan sounds good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvp (Post 3562071)
Arya Niwas Jaipur is a good option to stay. If home stay is preferred at Jaipur, Rawla Rawatstar is a good option. Both have clean rooms, good service and good food.

will check them out. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy28 (Post 3563758)
Ajmer ranthambore jaipur in 1 day is not possible. Distance is more and you will neither be able to do the morning or evening safari. I will suggest that you first go to ajmer, stay overnight and cover ajmer n pushkar. From ajmer leave for rranthambore post lunch. Next day you can do morning safari , visit the fort and do the evening safari. If it becomes too hectic, you can stay 1 more night. Then move to Jaipur and spend 2 days there.

You can chekout hotel ananta palace at ranthambore ans hotel embasy at ajmer. Good places at reasonable cost.

The plan sounds good. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Will check out bookings for the hotels.

Any idea on how reliable the local cabs are? or should we pre book them from here?

Hello everyone,

We are planning on road trip in Rajasthan and are in the process of finalizing the itinerary. Have few queries about the following stretches and conditions of roads and whether the time we are planning is practically feasible or not. This is my first trip to Rajasthan, so not very sure about the roads and traffic in general.

1. Jaisalmer to Mt Abu via Barmer and Sanchore. Its coming to 442 KMs as per google. Will this be feasible for a 7 to 8 hour drive and any interesting places that can be covered on the way?

2. Ranakpur to Jaipur, via Devgarh. Concerned about the stretch upto Beawer. Looks to be some sort of forest. Other option would be via Pali and Sojat.

Will post my detailed plan once these options are finalized and would be happy to get some comments on the routes plans for the experienced bhpians of Rajasthan :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bread (Post 3563895)

Any idea on how reliable the local cabs are? or should we pre book them from here?

Sorry. No idea about the local cabs. May be you can check with the hotels you will be staying in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagarjun (Post 3564600)
Hello everyone,

2. Ranakpur to Jaipur, via Devgarh. Concerned about the stretch upto Beawer. Looks to be some sort of forest. Other option would be via Pali and Sojat.

Will post my detailed plan once these options are finalized and would be happy to get some comments on the routes plans for the experienced bhpians of Rajasthan :)

Once you connect with NH from Ranakpur, the road till Beawer is fairly good. Road widening is going on at many places because of which there are patches of bad road especially around the diversions. But nothing that will significantly slow you down. I had done Beawer-Nathdwara some time back in 2.5 hrs at night. So during the day, you should be able to do it faster. One thing, there are few restaurants and petrol bunks on this stretch. So better to plan on your fuel/food breaks. From Beawer it is a great road.