Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:35   #511
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Road Trip - Ahmedabad to Ajmer and back
30th - AMD to Udaipur 260 kms dep 5pm arr 11pm (himmatnagar samalaji)
Roads were horrible throughout. There is construction work right from inside AMD, all the way up to Udaipur, with tons and tons of diversions. Time taken speaks about the quality of the roads.

31st - Udaipur - Ajmer 264 kms dep 9am arr 2pm (rajsamand beawar)
Good roads, some sections were beautiful, it was raining in patches, pouring in some patches, some sections winding between hills, lots of eateries dot the route. Rajsamand to Beawar is 2 lane with moderate traffic. Beawar onwards is 6 lane.

1st - Pushkar and Ajmer, both were quite crowded. Was raining intermittently.

2nd - Ajmer to Ahmedabad 559 kms 8h 55m, 11am dep arr 9pm (pali sirohi abu road palanpur)
After beawar, the road to Pali is just beautiful, lovely in fact, both the vista and the tarmac. 4 lane. Pali to Sirohi is a bit patchy. Sirohi to Abu road is again quite scenic with a few tunnels and climbs & descents. Abu road onwards it is back to the plains. Palanpur to AMD road condition is a bit bad with a lot of poorly filled potholes and crazy traffic (volume and erratic). Vehicles coming on the wrong side is common. Rain after Palanpur affected visibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-inked20190831_110949_li.jpg  

Old 4th September 2019, 18:00   #512
BHPian

Hi Bhpians
Need help in figuring out the best route from Delhi(chanakyapuri) to Nawalgarh and the road conditions.
Similarily from Nawalgarh to Bikaner.
My parents are travelling and wanted to check the same
Old 4th September 2019, 20:30   #513
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Planning a road-trip with family to Rajasthan in December 2019. We have about 8 days in hand. We plan to drive from Pune and wish to visit Udaypur, Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Mount Abu and any other interesting place (please feel free to suggest) which may be on the way or in a reasonable distance to make a diversion.

Will be using my 7 year old Rapid MPI and we will be Three adults and one kid onboard. Myself will be the only driver and I don't prefer to drive long distance at night.

Request your valuable advice, guidance to make the trip a success. Thank you in advance.
Old 6th September 2019, 01:49   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraK78 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Planning a road-trip with family to Rajasthan in December 2019. We have about 8 days in hand. We plan to drive from Pune and wish to visit Udaypur, Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Mount Abu and any other interesting place (please feel free to suggest) which may be on the way or in a reasonable distance to make a diversion.

Request your valuable advice, guidance to make the trip a success. Thank you in advance.

I think you are targeting too many places for the number of days you have.
Drive from Pune to Udaipur will take you 1 whole day assuming that you are comfortable with driving for 16 hours in a day. So, if we exclude 2 days of commute to and fro from Pune from your 8 days you will only be left with 6.
If I were you I would surely go to Jaisalmer as I believe it is the best Rajasthan has to offer, Jaisalmer will take minimum 2 days. One night must be spent in the desert for a camping experience and jeep safari in sands, one day should be kept for Tanot and Longewala and half a day for local attractions.
So summarizing my post I would recommend you to spend a full day in Udaipur, two and half days in Jaisalmer and a day in Jodhpur. The roads are excellent so driving will be fun and don't skip the trip from Jaisalmer to Tanot and Logewala.
Ranabegins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:28   #515
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I am planning a roadtrip from Pune to Udaipur and then onward to Ranthambore around Diwali. The route to Udaipur I know is good and should be a good drive.

How're are the roads from Udaipur onward to Ranthambore ? My return journey from Ranthambore will be via Indore, where I plan to break the journey before heading back to Pune. How is the road condition to Indore ?
Old 17th September 2019, 18:35   #516
BHPian

Need suggestions around an itenary covering Udaipur & surroundings
Day 1 : Start from Patan (Gujrat) by 9-10 AM
Day 5 : Need to be back in Vadodra by 2 PM

Proposed Itinary :
Day 1 : Patan – Delwara Temples ( 2-3 hrs ?) – Udaipur – Explore local Udaipur – Night Stay Udaipur
Day 2 : Local Udaipur
Day 3 : Ranakpur + Kumbhalgarh – Night Stay back at Udaipur
Day 4 : Chittorgarh – Night Stay back at Udaipur
Day 5 : Udaipur to Vadodra Drive

Does it make sense to make Udaipur the base, or are there time savings possible by staying at Ranakpur/Kumbhalgarh at Day 3 or 4 ?
Can i squeeze in Gardia Mahadev on Day 3 or Day 4 ? or will it be too much of a stretch. I am assuming 3-4 hrs drive to & fro ex Udaipur on Day 3 & 4 , plus 3-5 hrs to explore the forts
Old 6th October 2019, 21:58   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
Need suggestions around an itenary covering Udaipur & surroundings
Day 1 : Start from Patan (Gujrat) by 9-10 AM
Day 5 : Need to be back in Vadodra by 2 PM

Proposed Itinary :
Day 1 : Patan – Delwara Temples ( 2-3 hrs ?) – Udaipur – Explore local Udaipur – Night Stay Udaipur
Day 2 : Local Udaipur
Day 3 : Ranakpur + Kumbhalgarh – Night Stay back at Udaipur
Day 4 : Chittorgarh – Night Stay back at Udaipur
Day 5 : Udaipur to Vadodra Drive

Does it make sense to make Udaipur the base, or are there time savings possible by staying at Ranakpur/Kumbhalgarh at Day 3 or 4 ?
Can i squeeze in Gardia Mahadev on Day 3 or Day 4 ? or will it be too much of a stretch. I am assuming 3-4 hrs drive to & fro ex Udaipur on Day 3 & 4 , plus 3-5 hrs to explore the forts
Ranakpur & Kumbhalgarh are just about 50 kms and max 2 hours from Udaipur. Chittor is a good day's plan. You can easily do your planned itineraries of Day 3 and 4 by using Udaipur as the base.

Gardia Mahadev (if you're referring to the one in Kota) is almost 300 kms from Udaipur. Wouldn't recommend that on these days.
Old 8th October 2019, 21:03   #518
BHPian

Will be doing Jodhpur to Mumbai over two days starting October 10. From what I can tell these are the route options:

1. Jodhpur - Pali - Abu Road - Palanpur - Ahmedabad - Varodara - Mumbai
2. Jodhpur - Pali - Abu Road - Samalaji - Modasa - Godhra - Varodara - Mumbai
3. Jodhpur - Pali - Rajsamand - Udaipur - Modasa - Godhra - Varodara - Mumbai

I’m leaning towards the first one — seems to be the shortest and smoothest overall with the exception of Palanpur to Ahmedabad. How bad is that stretch? Has anyone been there recently?

The other two options will require me to spend more time on state highways, which I’m reluctant to. However if the route is significantly better I’m willing to take it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 8th October 2019, 22:30   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post

exception of Palanpur to Ahmedabad. How bad is that stretch? Has anyone been there recently?
Bad in what sense? It's a proper 4 lane highway and you don't even need to pay Toll on Mehsana - Ahmedabad stretch If your concerns are relating to the traffic, yes, it can certainly get rushy but it will be the best route.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th October 2019 at 22:31.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 23:42   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Will be doing Jodhpur to Mumbai over two days starting October 10. From what I can tell these are the route options:

2. Jodhpur - Pali - Abu Road - Samalaji - Modasa - Godhra - Varodara - Mumbai
3. Jodhpur - Pali - Rajsamand - Udaipur - Modasa - Godhra - Varodara - Mumbai

I’m leaning towards the first one — seems to be the shortest and smoothest overall with the exception of Palanpur to Ahmedabad. How bad is that stretch? Has anyone been there recently?

The other two options will require me to spend more time on state highways, which I’m reluctant to. However if the route is significantly better I’m willing to take it. Any help is appreciated.
Go for option-1. That would be ideal. Don’t even think about option-2&3 as you will end up wasting time. Palanpur to Ahmedabad stretch is fine but will have traffic all the way which is however manageable.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 04:05   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Bad in what sense? It's a proper 4 lane highway and you don't even need to pay Toll on Mehsana - Ahmedabad stretch If your concerns are relating to the traffic, yes, it can certainly get rushy but it will be the best route.
Thank you so much! I was worried that it’d be a two- or single-lane road with lots of traffic based on some of the descriptions of that stretch in this thread. If it’s four-lane, I’ll manage easily.

My worry stemmed from having just done Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Pali - Jodhpur. Till I hit NH62 near Pali, the roads were pretty bad, but the views were breathtaking particularly in the ghats. There was a stretch between Mundara and Rani (SH 105 in Rajasthan according to Google Maps) where the road was broken for a few kilometres. Didn’t want another day of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Go for option-1. That would be ideal. Don’t even think about option-2&3 as you will end up wasting time. Palanpur to Ahmedabad stretch is fine but will have traffic all the way which is however manageable.
Really appreciate your guidance too. After the events described above, I was nervous about taking unknown state highways.
Old 18th October 2019, 18:17   #522
BHPian

friends, please advise on what route should i opt for Mumbai to Jaipur road trip. This will be a solo drive and aim would be to reach Jaipur in max two days without making it too hectic. 600-700km per day of drive is manageable without any issue. I will be doing this in last week of Dec.
Old 18th October 2019, 22:47   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
friends, please advise on what route should i opt for Mumbai to Jaipur road trip. This will be a solo drive and aim would be to reach Jaipur in max two days without making it too hectic. 600-700km per day of drive is manageable without any issue. I will be doing this in last week of Dec.
Hi,

There are few options listed below:

1) Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Abu road-Pali-Ajmer-Jaipur
2) Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Halol-Godhra-Udaipur-Nathdwara-Ajmer-Jaipur
3) Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Nathdwara-Ajmer-Jaipur
4) Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Bhilwara-Jaipur

My suggestion would be go for route-1. Apart from little traffic between Ahmedabad and Palanpur, the roads are butter smooth and you will cover distance at breeze. On the Udaipur side, the roads are broken at many places due to ongoing road widening and flyover work at many places. Your ideal stoppage should be Abu road or Udaipur for day-1. Both the places can be covered in 13-14 hours. Else if you do not wish to drive that much than you can halt at Ahmedabad also. From Ahmedabad, Jaipur will take approximately 11 hours.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 06:33   #524
BHPian

When I did samalaji to vadodara (while coming from Udaipur) I was able to maintain good avg speed of 80-85kmph..road quality is of NH standards....ofcourse Udaipur to samalaji was going through lane expansion and avg speed is 60kmph....this was exactly 1yr back.
Old 20th November 2019, 23:03   #525
BHPian

Dear Team Members,

My first post in this forum. I would appreciate your inputs for my trip to Rajasthan in the month of January 2020. Below is the basic itinerary.

7th Leave Mumbai 4am and reach Mt Abu (Halt at Surat & Ahmedabad)
8th Explore Mount Abu
9th Leave Mt Abu and reach Jaisalmer
10th Explore Jaisalmer
11th Explore Jaiselmer
12th Leave Jaisalmer by 10am and reach Jodhpur and explore in the evening
13th Explore Jodhpur
14th Explore Jodhpur
15th Leave Jodhpur by 10am and reach Udaipur and explore in the evening
16th Explore Udaipur
17th Explore Udaipur
18th Leave Udaipur by 4am and reach Bordi (my native)
19th Leave Bordi for Mumbai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks