Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 22:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Hi BHPians,

Need your valuable inputs.

Intend on doing a Rajasthan road trip,the itinerary has been more or less decided to be

Mumbai-Udaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Bikaner-Ajmer-Jaipur-Ahmedabad-Mumbai

Udaipur: 2nights
JDP: 1Night
Jaisalmer: 1Night
Bikaner: 1Night
Jaipur: 2Nights<<<Enough?
  • Jaipur-AMD is going to be a long haul,any suggestions on places to see & stay enroute?
  • Any place that I am missing?
PS:Thanx a ton HVK & Ampere for your emails.
Old 10th August 2010, 00:51   #2
BHPian

If you have little more time, may think of Mumbai - Mt Abu (1N) - Jodhpur (1N) - Jaisalmer (2N) - Bikaner(1N) - Jaipur(2N) - Ajmer - Udaipur (2N) - Mumbai. Plot this in Google map, you will get a nice circular route.

Few points:
a) I feel Dilwara temple in Mt Abu is worth visitng, if you can squeeze in a day.
b) Ajmer is on the way from Jaipur to Ahmedabad, so you can change the order in your itinerary.
c) You may want to club Pushkar alongwith Ajmer.
d) You may want to visit Chittaur of 'Rana Pratap' fame on the same route (jaipur - ahmedabad).
e) If you are staying only one night in Jaisalmer, you may not be experience the night at the dunes.
Old 10th August 2010, 01:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. Bikaner-Ajmer-Jaipur sounds a bit weird as you would be crossing Jaipur to reach Ajmer. Should'nt it be Bikaner-Jaipur-Ajmer?
2. Jaipur-Ahmd is an excellent drive, provided you stick to NH79/NH76 after Kishengarh.
3. Chittor is one place you could visit on your way to Ahmd. Could be your lunch stop too.
4. One full day is enough for covering the major tourist places in Jaipur.
Regards
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 01:02   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

When are you planning to drive? And your location reads Hyd. Any reason of starting the trip from Mumbai?
Old 10th August 2010, 01:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

This was the original route map which I had suggested.

Mumbai, Maharashtra to Mumbai, Maharashtra - Google Maps

Suggestions welcome. Ranjit was not so much on to Bikaner initially. So if you cut that out, one can visit Ajmer/Pushkar on the way from Jaisalmer to Jaipur. Then on the way back he can visit Chittaurgarh.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2010 at 01:21.
Old 10th August 2010, 09:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This was the original route map which I had suggested.

Suggestions welcome. Ranjit was not so much on to Bikaner initially. So if you cut that out, one can visit Ajmer/Pushkar on the way from Jaisalmer to Jaipur. Then on the way back he can visit Chittaurgarh.

My personal opinion is that I would rather give Ajmer/ Pushkar a miss ( places are too messy for me) and stick with Bikaner. The Karni Mata Temple at Deshnok, Bikaner is one of its kind and worth visiting
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 10:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

This is the full round-trip including Bikaner.

Old 10th August 2010, 10:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can also do it in this order:
Bombay-Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Bikaner-Jaipur-Pushkar-Jodhpur-Nathdwara-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Bombay

That will mean that you can do short stretches except for the last day when you will drive Udaipur-Bombay.

D1: Bombay-Ahmedabad
D2: Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer
D3: Jaisalmer
D4: Jaisalmer-Bikaner
D5: Bikaner, Bikaner-Jaipur
D6: Jaipur
D7: Jaipur-Pushkar-Jodhpur
D8: Jodhpur, Jodhpur-Nathdwara
D9: Nathdwara, Nathdwara-Udaipur
D10: Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Bombay
Old 10th August 2010, 10:38   #9
BHPian

Isnt it raining in Rajasthan now? Could be tough to walk a lot in open spaces.

I gave Ajmer/Pushkar a miss as well, are quite messy.

2days in Jaipur is good enough.

If you do Mumbai - Udaipur so as to reach Udaipur by late afternoon, you will have that evening, finish the Light and Sound show which starts at 7:00 PM I suppose. Next day you could spend in Palace and other places. Jodhpur the major attraction is Mehrangarh fort which will take 4-5 hours to finish and the other palaces are basically lobbies of hotel. I was disgusted to visit the Jodhpur palace only to be told that the main palace is a hotel and no one is allowed inside. They showed us a video of bathrooms and other things of that hotel.

Even if it is 1N in Jaisalmer, you can stay at the Dunes instead of the fort area.

Roads in Rajasthan are fabulous and you can check out this thread as well

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lore-back.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-baroda.html

Have a good trip.

Nainar
Old 10th August 2010, 11:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bombay-Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Bikaner-Jaipur-Pushkar-Jodhpur-Nathdwara-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Bombay

That will mean that you can do short stretches except for the last day when you will drive Udaipur-Bombay.

Yes a perfect ring!

If you sequence Chittaurh before Udaipur, you get this:

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&so...18&ie=UTF8&z=6

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2010 at 11:45.
Old 10th August 2010, 12:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
If you have little more time, may think of Mumbai - Mt Abu (1N) - Jodhpur (1N) - Jaisalmer (2N) - Bikaner(1N) - Jaipur(2N) - Ajmer - Udaipur (2N) - Mumbai. Plot this in Google map, you will get a nice circular route.
Thanx Arindam for your input.Well purposely left out Mt.Abu,it didnt quite fit into the scheme of things and plus the only way we could save on a day was by leaving out Mt.Abu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Few points:
a) I feel Dilwara temple in Mt Abu is worth visitng, if you can squeeze in a day.
b) Ajmer is on the way from Jaipur to Ahmedabad, so you can change the order in your itinerary.
c) You may want to club Pushkar alongwith Ajmer.
d) You may want to visit Chittaur of 'Rana Pratap' fame on the same route (jaipur - ahmedabad).
e) If you are staying only one night in Jaisalmer, you may not be experience the night at the dunes.
We will do a drive to the dunes and come back to Jaisalmer after sunset,staying in the dunes was vetoed as we are travelling with a baby onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
1. Bikaner-Ajmer-Jaipur sounds a bit weird as you would be crossing Jaipur to reach Ajmer. Should'nt it be Bikaner-Jaipur-Ajmer?
2. Jaipur-Ahmd is an excellent drive, provided you stick to NH79/NH76 after Kishengarh.
3. Chittor is one place you could visit on your way to Ahmd. Could be your lunch stop too.
4. One full day is enough for covering the major tourist places in Jaipur.
Regards
Thanx a ton for this info,looks like Ajmer will be given a miss going by all the other inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
When are you planning to drive? And your location reads Hyd. Any reason of starting the trip from Mumbai?
Intend on driving 1st or 2nd week of September.Would be in Mumbai from the end of August,friends and family stay in Mumbai.After that intend to do this drive and back to BOM and then back to Hyd after a couple of days in Mumbai.The Solapur-Pune road is a mess and I cant bear to think the condition of that stretch now after the rains:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Then on the way back he can visit Chittaurgarh.
Thanx Amp,Chittor has been brought back into the itinerary now.

Quote:
My personal opinion is that I would rather give Ajmer/ Pushkar a miss ( places are too messy for me) and stick with Bikaner. The Karni Mata Temple at Deshnok, Bikaner is one of its kind and worth visiting
Thanx for this tip,dont think we would be going to Ajmer,would decide on this after reaching Bikaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

This looks all the more perfect,let me work on it this way,makes more sense,how is the AMD-Jaisalmer drive?Is it through main highways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Isnt it raining in Rajasthan now? Could be tough to walk a lot in open spaces.

I gave Ajmer/Pushkar a miss as well, are quite messy.

2days in Jaipur is good enough.

If you do Mumbai - Udaipur so as to reach Udaipur by late afternoon, you will have that evening, finish the Light and Sound show which starts at 7:00 PM I suppose. Next day you could spend in Palace and other places. Jodhpur the major attraction is Mehrangarh fort which will take 4-5 hours to finish and the other palaces are basically lobbies of hotel. I was disgusted to visit the Jodhpur palace only to be told that the main palace is a hotel and no one is allowed inside. They showed us a video of bathrooms and other things of that hotel.

Even if it is 1N in Jaisalmer, you can stay at the Dunes instead of the fort area.

Roads in Rajasthan are fabulous and you can check out this thread as well

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lore-back.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-baroda.html

Have a good trip.

Nainar
Hey Nainar,yes did go through your tlogues quite a many times to note down the places of interest.Thanx for that.Intend on going only in Sep 1st week or 2nd,so hopefully even if its raining now,should stop.Fingers crossed.Have decided to give the stay at dunes a miss and would instead stay around the fort.
Old 10th August 2010, 12:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
how is the AMD-Jaisalmer drive?Is it through main highways?
Ahmedabad-Palanpur-Deesa is on superb 4-laned roads after which the roads are 2-laned but very good. Facilities are poor, but the drive is fast, and you should do the drive in under 10 hours.
Old 10th August 2010, 12:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
LOL... my thoughts exactly - except that I like Pushkar, but avoid going to Ajmer...

@ranjitp1: As to the Karni Mata Temple, how queasy are you about RATS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
We will do a drive to the dunes and come back to Jaisalmer after sunset,staying in the dunes was vetoed as we are travelling with a baby onboard.
Dunes at Sam will be hot during the day in September.

Quote:
how is the AMD-Jaisalmer drive?Is it through main highways?
It's a terrific road, smooth and straight, a pleasure to drive on - but I don't have updates on the road condition there after the rains. @HVK: Any recent info?
Old 10th August 2010, 13:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

SS, I have no recent info on the Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer road, but that normally does not get affected during the rainy season, should be good enough to do 100 kms an hour, especially after Tharad!
Old 10th August 2010, 13:17   #15
BHPian

Why no body is suggesting mount Abu?

And I suggested this route, forgot to post the link in the earlier post: Mumbai, Maharashtra to Mumbai, Maharashtra - Google Maps

D1: Bombay-Mt Abu (long run)
D2: Mt Abu -Jodhpur
D3: Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
D4: Jaisalmer
D5: Jaisalmer-Bikaner
D6: Bikaner-Jaipur
D7: Jaipur
D8: Jaipur-Ajmer/Pushkar(Optional)-Chittaur - Udaipur
D9: Udaipur

HVK: From your suggested itinerary, omitted Nathadwara, and included Mt Abu. Only the first day and last day drives are long, rest are small. Please comment.
On D8, depending on the timing you may stay back at Chittaur or proceed to Udaipur.

EDIT: Oops, I started the reply and then away from desk, and when I posted after coming back, already some more has been posted. So this post may not have value :(

Last edited by arindamray : 10th August 2010 at 13:19.

Most Viewed