Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Jodhpur : Route Queries

Dear All,

I am a new member to this site. I have done plenty of research and got fair idea on the road trip I intend to take starting tomorrow.

There are multiple threads on this route most of them are year plus old. My main intent of starting this is to seek updated information on the route and road conditions. Main reason being the recent hype of Flooding in Ahmedabad.

The tentative plan is as below-

13th August- 1300 hrs ( I know it is late but need to pick up my kiddos from the school) Start from Malad west- Ahmedabad

Night Halt at Ahmedabad

14th Morning- Ahmedabad - Mehsana- Abu- Jodhpur.

Local 3 days and return on 18th August. Would be open to come via Udaipur if some members can advise.

The recent rains have ( Seemingly) impacted the NH8 higway in stretches. Request some views from fellow members if some has travelled these roads recently.

Look forward to share my experience with you folks soon.

Regards
Shamsher
Old 12th August 2010, 13:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Check out this thread. Its a live one.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...rip-query.html
Old 12th August 2010, 13:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think NH8 condition is fine except around Vasai-Virar.
Drive plan is doable, although you may get delayed reaching Ahmedabad because of day traffic, especially in Surat area which you will reach in evening peak hour.
I would take the Sardar Patel Ring Road in Ahmedabad to avoid going into the city and look for hotels off that road instead of going into the city proper.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:16   #4
BHPian

Thanks Ampere and Kumar.

The link was helpful.

Yes , I plan to take the SP Ring road and enter the city through the exit near Apollo hospital as I plan to stay in Amdbd Cantonment .

Exit to Jodhpur will also be follow the same route back to ring road and take Mehasana exit after Tapovan exit.

Appreciate your help. Can you guide me where can i lay my hands on the Travelogue / Excel sheets to monitor one's trip.

Regards
Shamsher
Old 12th August 2010, 18:43   #5
BHPian

Any plans of including Jaisalmer? It's not that far Jodhpur and the town is fabulous. I'd vacationed in Rajasthan last year and we'd taken the bus from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer. Fantastic road and minimal traffic.

Desert safari offered by most hotels is a good experience.

Just saw this travelogue. might have information for you...

Last edited by mmxylorider : 12th August 2010 at 18:47.
Old 12th August 2010, 22:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Any plans of including Jaisalmer? It's not that far Jodhpur and the town is fabulous. I'd vacationed in Rajasthan last year and we'd taken the bus from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer. Fantastic road and minimal traffic.

Desert safari offered by most hotels is a good experience.

Just saw this travelogue. might have information for you...

Thanks MM,

We spent time at Jaisalmer last winters. Yes, it is wonderful place.

Thanks for the link bro...

Regards
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:44   #7
BHPian

Dear All,

We had a wonderfull driving experience last week . I am giving a brief summary and my detailed travelog will follow.

Day 1- Mumbai -Ahmedabad

Started at 1.30 pm from Malad west reached Ahmedabad at 11 pm with 2 major breaks inbetween.

Road Condition- Ghorbunder to Varai was poor with bad traffic and Pot holes. Return drive on the same patch was even worse with half the road under repairs and rest half occupied by trucks.

Vapi to Surat -Road was good but some traffic congestion in pieces as there are lots of small intersection flyovers in progress.

Surat - Vadodara- Good drive

Vadodara - Ahmendabad - Excellent Expressway with very smooth drive.

Day 2 Ahmedabad - Jodhpur

Started at 8 am and reached Jodhpur (via Sirohi - Pali road ) at 5 pm.

Road condition -

Ahmedabad - Mehsana
Overall Gujrat roads are excellent. Good drive . When we approach any township / village herds of cows would be relaxing on the highway. One needs to be very careful . We experienced it multiple time that cow/s we sitting standing on the reverse slope of the flyovers. It give very less reaction time to drivers to negotiate the slope/ bends along with these strategically located animals.

Mehsana- Abu rd

Excellent road. Very scarce traffic and with the rains entire area looked green and the clouds around the hills gave a mystic touch to the whole landscape.

Abu Rd- Sirohi- Pali - Jodhpur

It became a single road with no dividers. Not a very well mantained road. Deep pot holes in various streches and heavy truck traffic.

Overall the entire stretch had good rains and lot of water in fields with good greenery. It was difficult to guess one is driving through Rajasthan/ Gujrat.

Will be more than happy to provide specific details in case some team member wants to know more.

Regards
Shamsher
Shamsher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Shamsher, that was a very useful update.

Yes, NH8 between Ghodbunder and Vapi is becoming very predictable every monsoon with potholes and some terrible sections.

Am surprised that NH14 between Pindwara (where NH76 goes off to Udaipur) and Jodhpur is not in good shape. How did you find facilities en route in general?

And any good restaurants or hotels to recommend?
Old 24th August 2010, 14:13   #9
BHPian

Hi Kumar,

We were in our Outlander and total 4 adults ( Self , My Wife Shakun our daughters Ikshu and Yashi. Younger Bro Shailender , his wife Anju and their Kiddos Drona and Kigali.) It was a Rakhi trip to meet our Sister Suman in Jodhpur. Married to and Army officer Lt Col Nagender. We all were longing to meet up with our nephew Dimpy.

Basically the Road from where we take an offshoot to Sirohi is good till Sirohi. From Sirohi - Pali - Jodhpur has pot holes and lot of patch work.Traffic was also heavy . It was mainly trucks.

Facilities enroute are generally good. With most of Eating joints having seperate Toilets and generally in good condition.

Our first break was in Vapi - Mc D . Good parking facility and reasonably well maintained washroom( Maintained by the mall . Not really spic and span but manageable).

Lot of eating joints were visible enroute which looked spacious and well maintained but we were just zipping past as most of the time it was raining heavy. We were so engrossed in ourselves that we realised our petrol warning was showing 70 km to the pump when we entered Vadodara - Ahmedabad expressway.It was around 9 pm. I asked the toll guy about how far would the next PP would be . He gave a very vague answer. When we were nearing the Anand exit ,we took a call and turned towards Anand. 5 kms off and we got a petrol pump and just opposite to it was an excellent eating joint with Ac hall for North Indian/ Punjabi food and and open food court for all other fast food items. We had our dinner there.

In Ahmedabad stayed in cantonment ( Alpha mess) as I am ex Army.

Next day left after breakfast and had our first halt in Sirohi. There is a Baba Ramdev Restaurent just when you hit Sirohi. It is a well running traditional Rajasthani dhaba. Very reasonable traditional food. We tried the Churma and the Thaali.

In Jodhpur stayed with my SIster. Explored a couple of joints. Nirali Dhani is a good getaway with very good food. Slightly on steep side but enough options like Puppet show, magician, camel / Bullock cart ride etc.to keep the kids occupied. Gone to the Kayalana lake. It is fresh water lake mainly being filled up by Indira Gandhi Canal. Good boat ride. It is around 3 km long and more than 60 feet deep.It is the main source of water supply to entire Jodhpur.

We went to Osian ( around 70 Kms from Jodhpur) which is famous for the Jain temples and sand dunes. Went to Reggies camp an excellent fort like feel with deluxe Tentages, swimming pool and other facilities. Had our lunch at Dessert Cafe. Excellent food with very lovelable hospitality . It is 5 kms off Osian on Falodi road. The jain temples are well kept and are from 8-10th Century A.D.

Did a little off roading on the dunes with our Outlander. Very smooth ride on a 4x4 and lock conditions.

In Jodhpur went around to see the Umaid Bhawan Palace as we had seen the Mehran garh fort earlier. 17th August was my Bro-in -laws birthday we celeberated in Taj Hari Palace. Excellent ambiance and good food. Ladies did the shopping ( My wife, Sis and my younger brother's wife) .... they did make us wait just for a couple of hours... and made it just before the kitchen was to close.

On our way back we did Jodhpur - Ahmedabad without any food break. Started at 12 and entered Ahmedabad at 7 pm. Headed straight for the Drive-in theatre.

It is probably the only only drive -in functional in India. Amazing ambiance and sapcious. We parked our car on the humps specially created for the purpose and took our mats and cushions. A good picnic while watching Peepli Live. Can you beat it 175 bucks for 5 people and our Outlander... and 2 toddlers... my nephew ( Drona) and Neice ( Kigali...well that what my daughters call her). Good snack counters in the theater. Any one visiting Ahmedabad, I would strongly recommend this for a life time experience.

Drive back to Mumbai next day was again smooth and we started at 9.30 and stopped for lunch at Vapi -Mc D.

Will share the pictures shortly.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:02   #10
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Jodhpur : Route Queries

Hello Folks

plan to do a solo drive from Thane to Ahmedabad.

Could someone update me on road condition and safety issues for solo driving on this route ?

Any advise on fuel filling and food joints are welcome

Thanks in advance
-Milind
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Jodhpur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milind View Post
Hello Folks

plan to do a solo drive from Thane to Ahmedabad.

Could someone update me on road condition and safety issues for solo driving on this route ?

Any advise on fuel filling and food joints are welcome

Thanks in advance
-Milind
No safety issues whatsoever.Budget for a 9hour drive.This is one route on which you will never go hungry,plenty of eating options.There is Mcdie at Vapi,then there is Sankalp at Vapi,then there is Palazzo just before the Baroda EW to your left.Between Surat & Baroda plenty of wayside restaurants.Petrol pumps are easily available.

Leave Ghodbunder around 6 to beat the early morning truck traffic
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 20:22   #12
BHPian

Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur in August

Guys,

Need your advice on my Rajasthan road trip

I am planning to do A'bad-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-A'bad, starting on 10th Aug returning on 15th Aug in my Scorpio.

The route
Ahmedabad-Mehsana-Palanpur-Deesa-Tharad-Sanchore-Barmer-Devikot-Jaisalmer

Jaisalmer-Pokharan-Balesar-Jodhpur-Abu Road-Palanpur-Mehsana-A'bad

Need your advice on the following.
Is this a good time to udertake this drive, considering monsoon. Does it rain in these parts of Rajasthan in Aug.
Any current updates of the road condition. Pls suggest changes if any.
What are the good eating joints enroute after Palanpur (Way Wait)
Old 17th July 2012, 22:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post

I am planning to do A'bad-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-A'bad, starting on 10th Aug returning on 15th Aug in my Scorpio.

The route
Ahmedabad-Mehsana-Palanpur-Deesa-Tharad-Sanchore-Barmer-Devikot-Jaisalmer

Jaisalmer-Pokharan-Balesar-Jodhpur-Abu Road-Palanpur-Mehsana-A'bad

Is this a good time to udertake this drive, considering monsoon. Does it rain in these parts of Rajasthan in Aug.
Any current updates of the road condition. Pls suggest changes if any.
What are the good eating joints enroute after Palanpur (Way Wait)
Route is perfect.Yes it does rain in these parts in Aug/Sep,but then this year,I dont think anybody can predict the weather.

Beyond Palanpur there is absolutely no place to stop till Barmer.There is a "Good Hall" restaurant opposite the BP COCO at Barmer before Barmer town.Lovely place to stop.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:44   #14
BHPian

Re: Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Route is perfect.Yes it does rain in these parts in Aug/Sep,but then this year,I dont think anybody can predict the weather.
Hey thanks Ranjit for responding, I ve also gone through your travelogue. I am only concerned on the weather conditions during Aug, still in two minds on what to do.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77

Hey thanks Ranjit for responding, I ve also gone through your travelogue. I am only concerned on the weather conditions during Aug, still in two minds on what to do.
If it rains all the better for you as the weather would be simply amazing.So go for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks