Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 14:26   #1
BHPian

Connecting Rajapalayam/Idukki/Coimbatore

On the Eid extended weekend Sunday I have a marriage to attend at Rajapalayam. I can take Monday off or Thursday off, which ever suits the plan well. That would make it 4 days. Things to do:

- Attend to the marriage on Sat evening/Sunday morning.
- Need to enter Kerala just for the thrills - its been a long time since I went to Idukki (Apr 2009) - any hills (need not be Munnar/Thekady) looks good.
- Need to drop my parents at Coimbatore

How can I connect these efficiently in a round trip? It should not be too taxing. What are the good roads to connect these?
Old 14th August 2010, 16:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming that you are starting from Chennai.

Rajapalayam is roughly 86 KM from Madurai on NH208 towards Kollam. I don't think any good road exists directly connecting Rajapalayam to Idukki. That being the case, my suggestion would be come back to Tirumangalam-Madurai and further on NH7 before taking a detour to Theni-Munnar etc on NH49.

From Idukki district again, my suggestion would be go back to TN and reach Coimbatore via Theni-Palani-Pollachi-Coimbatore. Kerela roads are not in good shape now due to the rains, and are anyway mostly two lane.

Thus taking the other option (Munnar-Kothamangalam-Perumbavoor-Angamaly-Chalakudi-Thrissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore) does not seem a good one, unless of course, you have plenty of time to spend on Kerala roads.
Old 14th August 2010, 17:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sat - Bangalore-Rajapalayam
Sun - Rajapalayam-Theni-Bodimedu-Poopara-Munnar-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Coimbatore
Mon - Coimbatore-Bangalore
Old 14th August 2010, 20:08   #4
BHPian

Thanks sbraj/hvk.

Munnar-CBE - Udamalpettai is what I was planning, via Chinnar if I remember. However is there any hidden route from Rajapalayam to Thekkedy which is not shown by Google. How nice if we had. I see a Ayannar kovil road from Rajapalayam. Does it continue further into Kerala?

Rajapalayam to Theni is via Usilampatti/Andipatti as I see in the map. Correct, HVK? Is this route good and fast? Any alternatives?
Old 14th August 2010, 22:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks sbraj/hvk.

Munnar-CBE - Udamalpettai is what I was planning, via Chinnar if I remember. However is there any hidden route from Rajapalayam to Thekkedy which is not shown by Google. How nice if we had. I see a Ayannar kovil road from Rajapalayam. Does it continue further into Kerala?

Rajapalayam to Theni is via Usilampatti/Andipatti as I see in the map. Correct, HVK? Is this route good and fast? Any alternatives?
The only route from Rajapalayam to Kerala is:
South, via Tenkasi to Tenmala/Punalur
North, via Theni to Kumili/Munnar

The road from Rajapalayam (without touching Madurai) to Usilampatti is good (as per my friend who has gone on it several times).

Most Viewed