Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 03:09   #1
BHPian

Inquiring for a Royal Getaway to Pondicherry leaving Hyderabad

Fellow Bhpians

Need your experiences and updates on a Royal Enfield Trip to Pondicherry coming extended weekend (beginning Friday 20th evening, back Tuesday 24th afternoon/evening).

Two choices: a) Kurnool-Chittoor-Pondicherry
b) Nalgonda-ECR-Chennai-Pondicherry

Route regulars or recent have-beens please enlighten on feasibility, safety inter alia merits/demerits of respective routes for a biking trip, rather a Royal Enfield biking trip.

I understand that scores of travellers do the circuit in cars but I'm interested in a biker oriented evaluation. Help...?

PS: Riders interested are welcome and invited to join. Leave a message if you please.
Old 15th August 2010, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Route wise I would take the Kurnool route,as HYD-Kurnool is in supreme condition at the moment,going via NH5(Nalgonda route)it is quite an iffy road till you reach NH5 from Hyd(there are numerous places where you could join up NH5,the most reccomended one being at Chilkaluripeta.)Also going via NH5-ECR would mean you would have to negotiate Chennai city traffic to get onto ECR-Not an advisable option at all.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:35   #3
BHPian

Thanks... Someone who did this recently...? What is the reasonable time to cover the distance...? Good places to rest etc...
Old 19th August 2010, 16:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Kurnool Chitoor is definitely better. We are talking about 750 odd Km distance. Do you plan to cover it in a day?
You will to a take night halt, if there are kids.

NH18 (Kurnool-Kadappa-Pileru-Chitoor) has high traffic and the highway is 2L.
Need to watch out.
Old 19th August 2010, 20:22   #5
BANNED

I would advice you to bypass Chennai and take the Tindivanam route. You would save time.
Old 19th August 2010, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Friends of mine did a trip from Chennai to Horsley hillsby motorcycle last weekend via Vellore-Chittoor-Madanapalle & the roads were excellent upto Horsley; infact they were more than inviting. So from Chittoor onwards, all way upto Pondi, roads are excellent.

As roadracer says, avoid ECR & take Tindivanam route, which is also a good option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks