Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 21:42   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Josh,

See where you started with and see where you are landing up?
Thats the power of BHP! All for good.

So effectively no KK!
Well KK has one advantage which no other place that I know has. It's probably the only place in India from where you can see the sun rise and the sun set standing at the same spot .

No wait - maybe it's possible from the himalayas too - not sure.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

You are right safedrive - only place in the Indian Mainland where you can see the sun rise over the sea and set over the sea. Kanyakumari is a cape, you know. British times it was called Cape Comorin. And on a full moon you can see both the moon rise and the sun set at the same time. It is said to be a magical sight - I've not seen that in spite of spending my entire first 21 years of my life there :(
Old 19th August 2010, 23:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Hotel Parvati, Hotel Rajam and Hotel Canaan
Hotel Rajam does not exist anymore - some other name board was up there when I went back to good ol' Nagercoil last weekend

Got some memories at Hote Rajam - that's where I first said "cheers" as a school kid

Quote:
You are right safedrive - only place in the Indian Mainland where you can see the sun rise over the sea and set over the sea. Kanyakumari is a cape, you know. British times it was called Cape Comorin. And on a full moon you can see both the moon rise and the sun set at the same time. It is said to be a magical sight - I've not seen that in spite of spending my entire first 21 years of my life there :(
Hmm.. where did you live in NGL? I spent my entire schooling there!! And yes, you SHOULD be there on a full moon evening!
Old 19th August 2010, 23:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

vow a nagercoilean - i was put up at ramavarmapuram, near collectorate
an alumni of scott school - 1991
Old 19th August 2010, 23:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vow a nagercoilean - i was put up at ramavarmapuram, near collectorate
an alumni of scott school - 1991
You are my senior by 7 years! I was in SLB / CSI - lived in Water Tank Road, my uncle's place is near Gopala Pillai's hospital (Opp that Vetali ammam temple by the road side)

@ Josh, strongly suggest you make this into a 2 day / 1 night trip, else you wont see much of KK Dt. except the usual run-of-the-mill
Old 20th August 2010, 06:06   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Well KK has one advantage which no other place that I know has. It's probably the only place in India from where you can see the sun rise and the sun set standing at the same spot .

No wait - maybe it's possible from the himalayas too - not sure.
That is definitely true. But the number of places he can get around TVM itself would it be worth going all the way to KK? I know KK has its own charms.

Given hills/valleys and sea, I would prefer the former. (Personal choice!!)
Old 20th August 2010, 16:34   #22
BANNED

Thanks to every one for your suggestions

Am leaving by 5.30pm train today,will update once i get back to madrasapattanam
Old 26th October 2010, 09:18   #23
BHPian

Was checking this thread for a good hotel suggestion on Kanyakumari.

Planning to be there around 11:00pm this Friday - 29th Oct. Any suggestions for a place to stay for one night with family? I'm looking for contact numbers too as I need to block the room over phone.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:33   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Was checking this thread for a good hotel suggestion on Kanyakumari.

Planning to be there around 11:00pm this Friday - 29th Oct. Any suggestions for a place to stay for one night with family? I'm looking for contact numbers too as I need to block the room over phone.

Thanks in advance.
I stayed at Singaar International. A bit costly, but I was happy with their overall service.
Old 2nd January 2014, 23:11   #25
BHPian

Trivandrum-Kanyakumari route query

Hi,

We plan to do a Kanyakumari trip from Trivandrum this weekend. Searched in google maps and it gives 3 routes.

Which one does Bhpn's suggests, considering ease of driving, low traffic etc. We will be starting from Tvm (Sreekaryam) by 1 PM. I think we should avoid NH47, as it is too narrow with heavy traffic. But confused about the alternate route. Any recomended hotels? Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:42   #26
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum-Kanyakumari route query

I was in a South India driving trip last week. The suggested route as per BHPians which I took was Trivandrum-Poovar-Kaliakkavilai(join NH47 here).

I strongly suggest you take the same route as the road condition is good throughout. From Kaliakkavali, you can take 2 routes to Kanyakumari.

1. Continue all the way in NH47 to Kanyakumari
2. At Nagarcoil switch over from NH47 to 179

I have taken both the above routes and find the 179 route is better.

In summary having driven there last week, I suggest you to take:
Trivandrum-Poovar-Kaliakkavilai(join NH47 here)-Nagarcoil(switch to 179 here)-Parakkai-Puthalam-Kanyakumari.

The gmaps finds the above route quite accurately.

I stayed in Hotel SeaView for 1 day and Hotel GopiNivas for another day. Strongly recommend a sea facing room in Hotel Sea View for a great Sun rise view.
prabingade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 20:37   #27
BHPian

Re: Kanyakumari Hotels and Sightseeing (Trivandrum)

What would the best route to Kanyakumari if we are starting from Bangalore in the morning? say 4:30-5 AM?

Also suggested eateries en-route please.

Would like to visit TKM & KK, have about 2 days (excluding the travel from B'lore to TKM/ KK). Which one would be the best place to stay, TKM/ KK?

Also any hotel recommendations at both locations? Would prefer to have neat and peaceful rooms

Lastly, what would be must visit places in Kanyakumari & TKM?
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kanyakumari Hotels and Sightseeing (Trivandrum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
What would the best route to Kanyakumari if we are starting from Bangalore in the morning? say 4:30-5 AM?
There is nothing to look at. Its NH7 4-lane all the way.

Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Kanyakumari.

Quote:
Till Salem you have many for Breakfast. A2B, Saravana Bhavan, GRT, Park Plaza etc. Beyond Salem you get limited places for lunch.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:29   #29
Team-BHP Support

Kanyakumari Hotels and Sightseeing (Trivandrum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Would like to visit TKM & KK, have about 2 days (excluding the travel from B'lore to TKM/ KK). Which one would be the best place to stay, TKM/ KK?

Also any hotel recommendations at both locations? Would prefer to have neat and peaceful rooms

Lastly, what would be must visit places in Kanyakumari & TKM?

For a 5AM start.

Have breakfast at Shoolagiri around 6:45AM. There are two options available. One at the COCO HP bunk which hosts McD, one good veg restaurant etc. Another is A2B just about a kilometer away.

Lunch can be had near to Madurai around 1pm. There are a few options near the highway itself which includes a CCD, Hotel temple city (veg) etc. Also, just after hotel temple city, on the right side you can find a BP COCO bunk incase you need fuel / restroom stop. (Dhaba is closed here though)

If another break is needed before KK- there is a CCD near Kovilpetti which should come up around 3pm on the clock. The times lines mentioned above assume you would prefer to cruise at around 100 kmph on the four lane highway.

KK- TVM road is the only bad section. Please take this route during off peak hours. Expect some bad roads in the TN section, heavy traffic in kerala section and road widening work once you reach close to TVM City.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd March 2015 at 22:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:54   #30
BHPian

KK would suggest Hotel Sea View. Do ask for deluxe rooms where you can view Vivekanandan Rock and Thiruvalluvar Statute from the room.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks