Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 23:19   #1
BANNED

Kanyakumari Hotels and Sightseeing (Trivandrum)

Hi All

I am planning a trip to Kanyakumar coming friday for a day and will be heading to friends marriage which is held @ Trivandrum.

I need some info on the good hotels in KanyaKumari with fare and also please let me know the mode of transport for sightseeing fare for it too.I will be there from Saturday morning till evening and then start to Trivandrum.

How long is it from KanyaKumari to Trivandrum ?

Also let me know if the BUS (AC) facilities are available from KanyaKumari to Trivandrum.need info on cab too (probably scorpio/quali/innova)

Thanks in advance

MODS i could not find a thread with above details ,if it exist please move it
Old 18th August 2010, 00:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

One place I know off : Singaar International. Decent place to stay.

Food was OK, but not that great.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:33   #3
BHPian

Kanyakumari to Trivandrum will take you around 2-2.5 hrs depending on traffic. The distance is around 100 kms if i remember correctly. Till 2 years back, there were no AC buses plying on this route and I'm sure that the case is same even now.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kanyakumari to Nagercoil is 18KM, and Nagercoil to Trivandrum is 65 KM. The roads are two laned, and you have to be pretty careful for oncoming vehicles - especially the Kerala State fast passenger buses!

Common sight seeing spots near Kanyakumari: The Gandhi Mandapam, Vivekananda Rock, The Thiruvalluvar Statue, The Devi Kanyakumari temple, Vatta Kottai, Suchindram temple (all near Kanyakumari), and o nthe way back, stop at Padmanabhapuram near Thuckalay to see the palace of the erstwhile Travancore state's capital (for a shortwhile).

There are a lot more beautiful places in the KK District, and some are not well-known - hence mostly untouched by destructive human hands / legs - but you need 3 days or so, and most important, a person who knows those places well as some of them are dangerous too.
Old 18th August 2010, 05:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Phoenix is bang right; TVM-Kanyakumari is about 80 Kms & nearly a 2 hours drive. If possible, do not miss Padmanabhaswamy temple & Pazhavangadi Ganapathy temples in Trivandrum.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:36   #6
BANNED

aargee,ph03n!x,mistakenguy & ampere thanks for the info

Can you also let me know hoe is the climate there now and what would the approx rate for a cab from KK to TVM

One guy is asking for 2000 for a drop from KK to TVM in Qualis (7 people)

Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 16:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

A little away from Padmanabahapuram Palace is Thriparappu falls.

If you have enough time you can laze around in Poovar too. If you still have more Neyyar dam area - 30 km from Trivandrum, Kovalam - 15km from Trivandrum, Ponmudi - 60km from Trivandrum....the list is big

Contact Nutty Nair - He's the TVM encyclopedia
Old 18th August 2010, 19:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

I guess there are more places around TVM than KK.
As Laluks said Nutty Nair is your man.

Last edited by ampere : 18th August 2010 at 19:15.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
A little away from Padmanabahapuram Palace is Thriparappu falls.

If you have enough time you can laze around in Poovar too. If you still have more Neyyar dam area - 30 km from Trivandrum, Kovalam - 15km from Trivandrum, Ponmudi - 60km from Trivandrum....the list is big

Contact Nutty Nair - He's the TVM encyclopedia
Bang on..
Few more from me !
- Kovalam beach at TVM
- Thenmala (India's first planned Eco-tourism destination ) - 72 kms
Old 18th August 2010, 19:13   #10
BHPian

2000 for the cab sounds reasonable considering that the cab would have to do around 170 kms (to and fro) total. The normal rate for an AC cab in Kerala is around Rs.16 per km. If you will be travelling between 05:00 p.m. and 08:00 p.m. in that route I suggest that you plan for some additional time over 2 hours to cover that route. Even though it is a national highway it has to be one of the very worst in India if not the worst.
If you have additional time, you can deviate from the highway and take the coastal route to TVM. This goes via Balaramapuram and Kovalam and you have a lot of beaches on the way. It's a very scenic route but a longer route in terms of distance.
On the way from KK to TVM, there are a few temples and palaces also that you can visit. There are some fantastic places around that area but as stated earlier you need a car and someone who knows this area to get there. These are real unspoiled and most of the times you are the only one tehre.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

The rate looks good if its for two and fro.

There are buses to nagercoil but I am not sure of the timings( mostly eve ones and private ones)

And for more travel confusion PM nutty as lalu said
Old 18th August 2010, 19:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

I was in KK Dt last weekend, and there was a bit of rain though the day was quite sunny. Like many have said, TVM and around has a lot of well-known tourist locations. But KK Dt. has a lot more beautiful places, just that you need someone who knows the spots. And do note that the places I listed are only those on your way - there are a ton more that are out of your way!
Old 18th August 2010, 19:57   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
2000 for the cab sounds reasonable considering that the cab would have to do around 170 kms (to and fro) total. The normal rate for an AC cab in Kerala is around Rs.16 per km. If you will be travelling between 05:00 p.m. and 08:00 p.m. in that route I suggest that you plan for some additional time over 2 hours to cover that route. Even though it is a national highway it has to be one of the very worst in India if not the worst.
If you have additional time, you can deviate from the highway and take the coastal route to TVM. This goes via Balaramapuram and Kovalam and you have a lot of beaches on the way. It's a very scenic route but a longer route in terms of distance.
On the way from KK to TVM, there are a few temples and palaces also that you can visit. There are some fantastic places around that area but as stated earlier you need a car and someone who knows this area to get there. These are real unspoiled and most of the times you are the only one tehre.
Hi safedrive

We will be travelling to TVM after 5pm so i need to have a leverage of 3 hrs travel time.

We have a plan to visit kovalam and see the sunset on the way.

2000 is for non AC for the drop only,and more suggestions please
Old 19th August 2010, 16:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you are including sunset at Kovalam, then your effective starting time from TVM would be 7pm.

Rs. 1500-Rs 1600 would be a fair charge for a non a.c. taxi. (Distance 85km from TVM busstand)

I dont have much ideas of hotels in Kanyakumari, but if you are staying Nagercoil (the HQ of KK District & 20km before KK), Hotel Parvati, Hotel Rajam and Hotel Canaan are good options

If it is a one day trip - covering all KK spots listed by phoenix (except Vattakottai, since this will be longish detour) in the first half and then on the way back stopping at Padmanabhapuram Palace near thuckalay would be the ideal plan

If you are taking the bus on return, buses are avaialble every 15 mins from Nagercoil to TVM. From Kanyakumari to Nagercoil also in the same frequency. But then for covering P'puram palace, you may have to get down at Thuckalay and get another bus/car to visit the palace. If the above is the plan, Triparappu falls is not doable in the same day (suggested by laluks)
Old 19th August 2010, 17:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

@Josh,

See where you started with and see where you are landing up?
Thats the power of BHP! All for good.

So effectively no KK!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks