Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 12:40   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Thiruvarur : Route Queries

What would be the best route to goto Thiruvarur in short time? I would not mind if i have to travel additional kms but would prefer to go in better roads to maintain some consistency in speed.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Either take the ECR all the way to Nagapattinam and then Thiruvarur or go on NH45, turning off at Vikravandi to go via Panruti to Kumbakonam and thereon to THiruvarur. I would prefer the latter route.
Old 21st August 2010, 14:14   #3
BHPian

So i have to take left before villupuram and go till Kumbakonam in NH45c? Is NH45c a 4-lane road?

How good is NH45A? is it a four lane road or a two way like ECR?
Old 21st August 2010, 15:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
So i have to take left before villupuram and go till Kumbakonam in NH45c? Is NH45c a 4-lane road?

Yes, turn off before Villupram, all 2 lanes.
Road is rough here and there, but generally good.
Old 21st August 2010, 18:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

NH45C is pretty decent. I had drive through the lower stretch around Tanjore/Kumbakonam.
Its worth taking that route.
Old 21st August 2010, 18:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Actually it is better than ECR in the sense there are no blind curves. It is in decent shape.
Old 21st August 2010, 19:14   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot. I will be traveling to tiruvaroor in the day time but will be coming back in night So i was thinking that i should take tiruvaroor-tanjore-trichy-chennai for returning back.Its 100km more but felt it would be better to drive in four lane than in the 2 lane roads in the nights. Thoughts?
Old 21st August 2010, 19:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Actually it is better than ECR in the sense there are no blind curves. It is in decent shape.
PLUS I think even traffic density is very less on this stretch.

Trichy is too much of a diversion. Not worth it.

When are you planning to start in the evening? There is an Ariyalur stretch which will connect at Perambalur (NH45).
But not sure how is the road.

On second thoughts, 45C is good I guess. If you can cover the distance to 4L before being too late, should it not be OK?
In that case you dont even have to go to Tanjore.

Last edited by ampere : 21st August 2010 at 19:57.
Old 21st August 2010, 20:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Trichy is too much of a diversion. Not worth it.

When are you planning to start in the evening? There is an Ariyalur stretch which will connect at Perambalur (NH45).
I agree with ampere, why go via Trichy? Too long.

Kumbakonam-Ariyalur is good, but Ariyalur-Permabalur is in terrible condition. Avoid.

Unless you are bored of the same route while returning, stick to same onward route. Or else take the ECR via Chidambaram, Cuddlaore, Pondy.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Unless you are bored of the same route while returning, stick to same onward route. Or else take the ECR via Chidambaram, Cuddlaore, Pondy.
ECR during the nights bring its own set of problems especially if its a weekend, best avoided. The regular route is not so much of a problem during night times, the traffic is not so high and its only about 120 kms from Kumbakonam before you reach the 4 lane highway at Vikravandi.
Old 22nd August 2010, 08:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ECR during the nights bring its own set of problems especially if its a weekend, best avoided. The regular route is not so much of a problem during night times, the traffic is not so high and its only about 120 kms from Kumbakonam before you reach the 4 lane highway at Vikravandi.
Thats exactly my view. ECR best avoided at nights.
And the same route (the way you go) is good to come back. It wont be that far on 45C to hit 45 (4L).
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

On second thoughts, 45C is good I guess. If you can cover the distance to 4L before being too late, should it not be OK?
In that case you dont even have to go to Tanjore.
Going for a marriage reception and have to come back by midnight. So planning to leave by noon and start back around 8 pm from there. Have to catch a train in the morning to vizag if not, would have avoided night drive.

Quote:
Agreed, i never prefer ECR in nights and that too in scorpio, a BIG NO to drive in the curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I agree with ampere, why go via Trichy? Too long.

Kumbakonam-Ariyalur is good, but Ariyalur-Permabalur is in terrible condition. Avoid.

Thanks, I am fine with the same route until i can reach home by midnight without much stress from 2-way roads.
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, I am fine with the same route until i can reach home by midnight without much stress from 2-way roads.
All the more important then that you take the same route. Else you are increasing your time of commute.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Did the trip on Thursday. Roads were not good when you enter from NH 45 into NH45c. its starts to get better but its just ok till Bunruti, after which it becomes typical state highway. Good 2 lane road with many villages in between.

When you are around 60kms away from kumbakkonam, the road gets really good. You can touch 100-120 with ease but need to be very careful since there is lot of two wheelers who ride in the middle of road.

From Kumbakonam to tiruvaroor its around 35-40 kms and its full of curves. you can hardly see the road being straight for a kilometer.

I didnt find much information about this route so this might help others.

Chennai - Thiruvarur : Route Queries-nh45c-kumbakonam-.jpg

Before kumbakonnam

Chennai - Thiruvarur : Route Queries-nh45c.jpg

Kumbakonnam to Tiruvaroor

Chennai - Thiruvarur : Route Queries-nh45c-kumbakonam-tiruvaroor.jpg
Old 31st August 2010, 17:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

So did you come back by the same route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks