Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:25   #46
BHPian

Jacs,

You won't have problem, unless you are entering Mysore city.
Make sure, you start early from Bangalore (4 AM) & cross Mysore by 7 AM.

Thereafter, I don't think elephants & other animals will protest on verdict. (Just kidding). In short, I don't think you will have problems around Masinagudi or Ooty.

Last edited by neo45007 : 22nd September 2010 at 15:26.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
Jacs,

You won't have problem, unless you are entering Mysore city.
Make sure, you start early from Bangalore (4 AM) & cross Mysore by 7 AM.

Thereafter, I don't think elephants & other animals will protest on verdict. (Just kidding). In short, I don't think you will have problems around Masinagudi or Ooty.
Yes Neo, I am worried only on the Bangalore - Gundulpet stretch. I am fine with taking rest in the resort for all the day
Old 27th September 2010, 13:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Just reached back from the 3 days adventure. We stayed in "The Wilderness" due to some guest extended stay in "The Nest Inn". Overall the trip was amazing, we did 4 road safaris on car and one Van safari in Bandipur. Also a 2 hour guided trekking through forest boundaries. Spotted Elephants, Guars, Spotted Deers, Sambar Deers, Jackal, Mangoose, Malabar Giant Squirrels, Nilgiri Langurs, Wild Boars, Common Monkeys, Common Squirrels. Many birds including Peafowls, Cormorants, Robins, Cuckoos, Kingfishers, Swift, Tits, Humming birds, Wild hens etc. Millions of butterflies. And finally a Tiger .

My travelogue is coming up soon.

Update about Routes.

1) Electronic City to Mysore Road - NECE Road is almost completed except the crossing in Bannarghatta road but no offroading required now. Roads are not of good quality and hispeeds tend to be dangerous due to dips and waves (no pothholes at all). Toll was 58 bucks for <30KM travel.

2) Bangalore - Mysore Road - Good condition (<2% bad stretches near the bridge etc). Watch out for the unmarked speedbreakers near Channapatna, Mandhya and Srirangapatna.

3) Mysore road to Ooty road Bypass - Good condition (some potholes are there but not an issue for even small cars)

4) Mysore - Gundulpet Road - Very rough till Nanjangud and then its a breeze since relaid recently.

5) Gundulpet - Gudallur Road - Superb for any forest. Very few pothholes. Watch out the speed breakers near animal crossing zones.

Drive from Home (Electronic City) to Resort(Mudumalai Forest Exit) was 260KMs approx (yet to calculate the logs). Never drove >100Kmph and took 5 hours excluding breaks.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:16   #49
BHPian

[quote=jacs;2085006]Hi All,

Spotted Elephants, Guars, Spotted Deers, Sambar Deers, Jackal, Mangoose, Malabar Giant Squirrels, Nilgiri Langurs, Wild Boars, Common Monkeys, Common Squirrels. Many birds including Peafowls, Cormorants, Robins, Cuckoos, Kingfishers, Swift, Tits, Humming birds, Wild hens etc. Millions of butterflies. And finally a Tiger .

Spotted Elephants?????
Just kidding.

Did you see Nilgiri Langurs (full black ones) or the grey indian langur (hanuman langur). Nilgiri langurs tend to stay at higher altitudes but there is one stray which is attached to a local grey langur group.

Tiger was spotted where?
Best regards
Bala
Old 28th September 2010, 11:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Spotted Elephants?????
Just kidding.

Did you see Nilgiri Langurs (full black ones) or the grey indian langur (hanuman langur). Nilgiri langurs tend to stay at higher altitudes but there is one stray which is attached to a local grey langur group.

Tiger was spotted where?
Best regards
Bala

I might be wrong, it should be a Hanuman Langur then since they were not black but grey. Thanks for correcting, I saw the name Nilagiri Langur on many of the sign boards ept by forest department.

Here's my travelogue, just started posting the snaps one by one.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ip-so-far.html

Last edited by jacs : 28th September 2010 at 11:41.
Old 15th December 2011, 03:01   #51
BANNED

Re: Banglore-Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty

Hi Guys, Need help on Bangalore-Bandipur route info. I think I need to go thru Mysore. Can someone suggest route and current road conditions please
Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 05:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepalivg
Hi Guys, Need help on Bangalore-Bandipur route info. I think I need to go thru Mysore. Can someone suggest route and current road conditions please
Thanks
Depending on where you stay in bangalaore take the NICE road and exit at Kengeri.from kengeri its a 4laned state highway.conditions are very good except for speed breakers every now and then.kengeri to mysore would tale you around 2-2.5hrs.more than plenty of eating options like the kamats,kadambams,coffee day,mcdie,kfc etc.go through mysore town and get onto the ooty road.you would pass through nanjangud,gundulpet and reach bandipur.mysore to bandipur would take you around 1 - 1.5 hours depending on traffic.Road is good.where in bandipur are you headed to?
Old 15th December 2011, 07:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepalivg View Post
Thanks
The preferred route s Bangalore-Ramnagaram-Chennapatna-sriranapatna-mysore-gundlupet-Mysore. The distance would be 230 kms ( approx). The road is good throughout with 4 laned state highway till Mysore. Take the ring road of Mysore to avoid traffic in Mysore.

There are good eating options enroute and some of them are

1. Kamath ( after Ramnagaram ) : good variety of local Veg cuisine
2. Kamath Upachar ( After Chennapatna): veg south Indian food
3. McDonald: after Chennapatna
Old 15th December 2011, 08:06   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepalivg View Post
Thanks
In Mysore-Bandipur stretch look out for speedbreakers because you have many without any indication/signboards and most of the speedbreakers have 5 or 6 together.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

This is one of my favorite drives, thanks for popping up this thread. BTW heard like Karnataka Govt have plans to make the traffic restriction from 6PM to 6AM vs the existing 9PM to 6AM. Any pointers here? I was planning to drive my Christmas vacation trip via Nilgiris.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi All,

BTW heard like Karnataka Govt have plans to make the traffic restriction from 6PM to 6AM vs the existing 9PM to 6AM. Any pointers here?
Yes the time has been revised on paper,but not yet implemented.The gates still close, only at 9pm.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

This is one of my favorite drives, thanks for popping up this thread. BTW heard like Karnataka Govt have plans to make the traffic restriction from 6PM to 6AM vs the existing 9PM to 6AM. Any pointers here? I was planning to drive my Christmas vacation trip via Nilgiris.

My understanding while talking with the forest guard at the Madumalai side was that the revised timing was to effective last week itself. You might want to check while planning your trip.

Rgds
Old 16th December 2011, 10:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes the time has been revised on paper,but not yet implemented.The gates still close, only at 9pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
My understanding while talking with the forest guard at the Madumalai side was that the revised timing was to effective last week itself. You might want to check while planning your trip.

Rgds
Hmmm! So its risky to plan without confirming. But surely our buddies will give some updates after this weekend, the level has reached like in every road in India one BHPian will be active at a time .
Old 19th December 2011, 15:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm! So its risky to plan without confirming. But surely our buddies will give some updates after this weekend, the level has reached like in every road in India one BHPian will be active at a time .
Confirmed update from today's newspaper "Ban on road traffic during night through Bandipur will not be lifted though CMs of both states discussed but 6 to 6 ban will not be implemented until the alternate routes are ready".

So we have to be inside forest before 9PM only.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
Take the ring road of Mysore to avoid traffic in Mysore.
I will be travelling late evening (1800 ish) through Mysore (from BLR).....in a hurry to reach/clear the check post of Gudalur....

1. How bad would traffic conditions be at that time if I were to go into & out of Mysore city?
2. As advised above, would it be better to take the ring road (no previous experience of using this road)?
3. Where do I turn on to the ring road??? What signs/shops/landmarks do I look out for to ensure I turn correctly?
4. Is it a continuous road that reaches back to the highway? At what point??
5. What will be the total distance covered and what is the estimate of time saving??
6. What is the condition of ring road??

Most Viewed