Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 15:57   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Also could you please update on road condition between Hassan - Halebidu- Belur.
You have 3 options:

Option 1:
Hassan-Hagare-Halebidu-Belur-Hagare-Hassan
------20------10------16----16------20-----

Option 2:
Hassan-Hagare-Belur-Helebidu-Belur-Hassan
------20------16---16------16----36------

Option 3:
Hassan-Salagame-Halebidu-Belur-Hassan
------10--------20------16----36-----

Of the three, Option 2 is best though you will do Belur-Helebidu-Belur! The road conditions are good with this and nothing to worry at all.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 13:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You have 3 options:
Hi,

Planning a trip to Belur, Halebeedu and Mullayanagiri this weekend. Need some inputs
  1. Can we cover these three places within 1 day, starting from Mysore. Importance is on spending quality time approx 2 hrs each with a guide. We can start at 6 am from Mysore?
  2. Planning for Mysore - Hassan - Belur - Halebeedu - Mullayanagiri - Mysore. Which is the best routes to cover these places? Any other better alternatives?
  3. What are the food optinos available in this route?

We will be travelling in Scorpio.

Thanks,
Sudeep
Old 26th December 2013, 15:23   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
[list=1][*]Can we cover these three places within 1 day, starting from Mysore. Importance is on spending quality time approx 2 hrs each with a guide. We can start at 6 am from Mysore?
Very easily doable this way:
  • 6AM Mysore- 9AM Belur
  • 11AM Belur - 11:30AM Halebidu
  • 1:30PM Halebidu - 1:50PM Belur Circle - 2:20 Chikmagalur - 3:20PM Mulayanagiri
  • 5:45PM Mulayanagiri - 6:30PM Chikmagalur - 7:30PM Hassan- 9:30PM Mysore
Quote:
[*]Planning for Mysore - Hassan - Belur - Halebeedu - Mullayanagiri - Mysore. Which is the best routes to cover these places? Any other better alternatives?
Follow any of the below options:
  1. Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Hagare - Helebidu - Belur - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri
  2. Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Hagare - Belur - Halebidu - Kalasapura- Magadi Handpost - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri
  3. Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Hagare - Belur - Halebidu - Belur - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri
  4. Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Salagame - Halebidu - Belur - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri
  5. Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Hagare - Belur - Halebidu - Kalasapura - Magadi Handpost - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri

If you ask me, I would stick to option one for reasons that the roads are all good. Hassan via Salagame or Chikmagalur via Kalasapura may not be in best of shape and the other options suggested will always be faster even though a bit of detour.

Quote:
[*]What are the food optinos available in this route?
I guess with a 6AM start, you can very well Target Hassan for Breakfast and settle for Suvarna Regency on BM road in Hassan. You will approach Hassan bypass first after crossing the Industrial area and the cut across the bypass. Soon after this, you will pass the Hassan KSRTC Bus stand on your right followed by a Railway crossing. After the Railway crossing, you get a Traffic signal where you turn Left.

You follow this road for 100 meters and again at another small circle, turn left and you will spot Suvarna Regency on your left next to the HDFC Bank.

For Lunch, Belur may be too early and hence you can eat at Halebidu. It also has got KSTDC Hotel but I am not sure how good the food is.

While in Chikmagalur, you don't give a miss to "Town Canteen" which you will cross on the way to Mulayanagiri and can decide to have it either while going or coming back.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th December 2013 at 15:28.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 15:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
  1. Can we cover these three places within 1 day, starting from Mysore. Importance is on spending quality time approx 2 hrs each with a guide. We can start at 6 am from Mysore?
  2. Planning for Mysore - Hassan - Belur - Halebeedu - Mullayanagiri - Mysore. Which is the best routes to cover these places? Any other better alternatives?
  3. What are the food optinos available in this route?
This can be easily doable in a day. Parag has mentioned the timelines and the route perfectly in his post. Food options are very few in these places. The only good places you will find are in Hassan or Chikmagalur. There are one or two hotels in Belur which serve decent food (Parag has listed it a few posts earlier). In case you want an early breakfast, there is a small hotel in KR Nagar near the bus stand (I don't remember the name of the place, will check and let you know)

Quote:
  • 6AM Mysore- 9AM Belur
  • 11AM Belur - 11:30AM Halebidu
  • 1:30PM Halebidu - 1:50PM Belur Circle - 2:20 Chikmagalur - 3:20PM Mulayanagiri
  • 5:45PM Mulayanagiri - 6:30PM Chikmagalur - 7:30PM Hassan- 9:30PM Mysore
Follow any of the below options:
  1. Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Hagare - Helebidu - Belur - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri
If you ask me, I would stick to option one for reasons that the roads are all good. Hassan via Salagame or Chikmagalur via Kalasapura may not be in best of shape and the other options suggested will always be faster even though a bit of detour.
Hassan-Salagame road is bad, very bad. Definitely not worth taking. I would suggest route 1 mentioned above as the faster option. You can have lunch in Belur and then head out to Chikmagalur and have tasty benne dosas in Town Canteen there on the way back from Mullayanagiri.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 17:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag for the detailed itenary. I will follow option 1

I was just wondering about Salagame and Kalasapura, is it worth taking these routes. But from the comments from Addyhemmige, the Salagame route is not good. So this will be my route:

Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Hagare - Helebidu - Belur - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri - Chikmagalur - Hassan - Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
[/list]This can be easily doable in a day. Parag has mentioned the timelines and the route perfectly in his post. Food options are very few in these places. The only good places you will find are in Hassan or Chikmagalur. There are one or two hotels in Belur which serve decent food (Parag has listed it a few posts earlier). In case you want an early breakfast, there is a small hotel in KR Nagar near the bus stand (I don't remember the name of the place, will check and let you know)

Hassan-Salagame road is bad, very bad. Definitely not worth taking. I would suggest route 1 mentioned above as the faster option. You can have lunch in Belur and then head out to Chikmagalur and have tasty benne dosas in Town Canteen there on the way back from Mullayanagiri.
Hassan will be breakfast break and was planning to have lunch at Belur or Chikmagalur. How is Planters Court in Chikmagalur? Is it good for Non Veg?
Town Canteen, does it serve meals or is it just snacks? Is it non veg?

BTW, do you guys have any update on Bhadra Wlidlife Sanctuary. Is it open for day Safari like Bandipur/Nagarhole or is it only through River Tern resort?
Old 26th December 2013, 18:07   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was just wondering about Salagame and Kalasapura, is it worth taking these routes. But from the comments from Addyhemmige, the Salagame route is not good. So this will be my route:

Mysore-KR Nagar- HN Pura - Hassan - Hagare - Helebidu - Belur - Chikmagalur - Mulayanagiri - Chikmagalur - Hassan - Mysore
Yes, like I mentioned, you are better off using Option 1 as roads are all good. Don't think of Salagame or Kalasapura options to each Halebidu or Chikmagalur respectively.

Quote:
Lunch at Belur or Chikmagalur. How is Planters Court in Chikmagalur? Is it good for Non Veg?
Try Sumukha Regency or Vishnu Regency in Belur. In Chikmagalur you can try Soundarya Residency on IG road (Veg only)
Quote:
Town Canteen, does it serve meals or is it just snacks? Is it non veg?
Its famous for Butter Dosas .
Quote:
BTW, do you guys have any update on Bhadra Wlidlife Sanctuary. Is it open for day Safari like Bandipur/Nagarhole or is it only through River Tern resort?
I may be the wrong person to give info on this.
Old 27th December 2013, 10:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
You have 3 options:

Option 1:
Hassan-Hagare-Halebidu-Belur-Hagare-Hassan
------20------10------16----16------20-----

How's the road from Hagare to Halebidu? I cannot see the name of the highway/road, and from Google/Here Maps it seems like a small road. It is comfortably driveable in an Innova?

Last edited by floyd : 27th December 2013 at 10:18.
Old 27th December 2013, 10:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
How's the road from Hagare to Halebidu? I cannot see the name of the highway/road, and from Google/Here Maps it seems like a small road. It is comfortably driveable in an Innova?
This one is not even a State Highway and perhaps an MDR. The road condition of this this 10km stretch has never been good, consistently!

When you are driving to Belur from Hassan, 20 kms later you pass a small town called Hagare where you have signage for Halebidu asking you to turn right.

The idea to never suggest this option is because you would as well reach Halebidu via Belur taking almost the same time that you would on this 10km stretch.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:14   #54
BHPian

Thanks @paragsachania.
What do you suggest if I have to visit only Halebidu & not Belur? Does it make sense to try to catch the SH-21 that takes you directly to Halebidu from Hassan? I see that this road goes right through the town, so would it be slow/hectic driving, as compared to taking the bypass, and catching Belur road (SH-57) to Belur, and then continuing to Halebidu?
Old 27th December 2013, 11:25   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone taking the Hassan-Belur road -> it's in excellent condition with jet black (looks new!) tarmac after the lake all the way till Belur.

However, keep your speeds in check since there are quite a few speed breakers with some of them being sets of 5-6 humps placed sequentially to give you a camel ride experience

I also remember one junction closer to Belur where tractors, etc merged from the cross road onto the main road without even bothering to look for traffic when merging, be extra careful and alert.

On Tuesday evening I saw a Swift had plunged into the fields just opposite Hoysala Village Resort, but no idea how it happened.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 11:46   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone taking the Hassan-Belur road -> it's in excellent condition with jet black (looks new!) tarmac after the lake all the way till Belur.
The Jet black part is for 20 Kms, Starting from Belur Taluk Border all the way till Belur. Was relaid couple of months back.
Quote:
However, keep your speeds in check since there are quite a few speed breakers with some of them being sets of 5-6 humps placed sequentially to give you a camel ride experience
Thanks NPV for bringing the speedbreaker topic!

First Set: Soon after you exit Hassan from Thaneeruhalla (well marked)
Second Set: Near Kuppali Village (Well marked)
Third Set: Rumblers nearing Hagare (well marked)

I had once seen a Indigo overtake me at night around 9PM while I was driving back to Bangalore, jump on the speedbreaker (Second set) with the hood opening due to the jump and folding on its windscreen. He was lucky though.

The very first set came near Hagare (Political pressure, Vote bank from that Village) that killled 2 motor cyclists the second day after it was installed. Soon after this, they removed it and converted it to rumbler.

I bent my WagonR's rear Axle when I jumped the same at 80kmph way back in 2007 when I drove to Mangalore via Shiradi and returned via Belur.

I would say, when driving on roads that you are not aware of, at nights, always and generously flash your beams and keep an eye on the signages.
Quote:
On Tuesday evening I saw a Swift had plunged into the fields just opposite Hoysala Village Resort, but no idea how it happened.
There was also an accident sometime on Tuesday where an MUV Rammed a Mysore bound Volvo killing 3 on the spot near Rayapura (3 kms before Belur).

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th December 2013 at 11:48.
Old 28th December 2013, 18:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, like I mentioned, you are better off using Option 1 as roads are all good. Don't think of Salagame or Kalasapura options to each Halebidu or Chikmagalur respectively.
I will dropping Mullaiyanagiri, mainly because it will be late to return to Mysore.
Will plan Chickmaglur for 2 days, will plan then

How is Yagachi dam? Is it worth a visit?

How about Munjarabad Fort and Gorur dam? Are they worth it?

How is the route from Munjarabad to Gorur dam through Shettihalli and Gorur dam backwaters? Is it doable in a Scorpio?
Old 29th December 2013, 07:54   #58
BHPian

In case anyone is interested, I did the Halebidu to Hague stretch yesterday. I was driving from Halebidu to Belur. Road is fine, and driveable.
Old 16th January 2014, 10:53   #59
BHPian

Planning to do this trip on coming Saturday. Can you recommend
- Diesel option on the way (preferably COCO)
- Food options for breakfast and lunch.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:49   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
- Diesel option on the way (preferably COCO)
- Food options for breakfast and lunch.
COCO fuel options was something which we also did not find when we did the same route last Saturday.
However there are quiet few petrol bunks on way and the complete trip was around 580Kms for us, so that means you may be able to do the entire trip without refueling. We did a small fill (For Rs.500) at Bellur cross HP bunk (got a CCD too)located here on way back to be on safer side.

Best food option as per TBHPian Parag who frequents this route was Athiti after Channarayapattana which is opposite to Kamat Upachar (along with petrol bunk and CCD) located here. However we found Athiti to be closed for renovation. Food at Kamat was average and service slow.

We tried Mayura on way back and found the place to be clean.

Our lunch was at Vishnu Regency located around here. Not a swanky place, but descent.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks