Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 17:35   #1
BHPian

Jalori Pass: Ford ikon 1.6 or Wagon R?

Hi

We're planning a trip to manali via jalori pass in october. Which car would you suggest we take? A seven year old ford ikon 1.6 or a four and half year old wagon R? Both cars are in pretty decent condition. On the odo, the wagonR is at 65k and the ford at 55k. Tyres will be brand new on the ikon since I'm planning for new ones this coming week and the wagonR's tubeless have done around 20k. FE isnt really an issue.

My question to those who have been on this route is that is the Ford's ground clearance sufficient? Which in their experience would be a better choice?

The travelers are my wife & i, and our beloved dog.
Old 28th August 2010, 19:56   #2
BHPian

Hi Akshay,

Am assuming you will be taking the NH 22 via Simla, Narkanda, Sainj and then going on to the Jalori Jot. In my opinion both the cars will be able to cross Jalori pass without any issues. Only keep a check on the engine heating up, due to the climb, which is pretty steep in places. I am not sure of the present condition, given the heavy rains that have lashed the region. But it was fine in July, when I crossed it.
Ground clearance per se should not be a problem, unless there has been a landslide and the road hasn't been cleared properly. Otherwise the road, though not tarred in many places, is pretty decent.
Before you leave for Jalori Jot, it would be advisable to ask local tempo drivers/ taxi drivers for the present condition of the road. Things change pretty fast in the mountains!
Old 28th August 2010, 21:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Either of the cars will do Jalori. Approach from Sainj is way better than from Aut side. Sine you will have your dog with you go with the wagon r as it has more space head room wise on the rear seat (assuming that you have a large size dog, that is).
Old 1st September 2010, 01:20   #4
BHPian

Thanks gautam, wanderer!

Since both the cars will do fine, we've decided with the ikon since the rear bench offers the mutt a more comfy bed to sleep on and sleep she does a lot of. 15 mins into the drive and she's fast asleep, waking only when we stop.

Also since you've done this route, how much time would it take from:
Shimla to narkanda;
Narkanda to jalori pass;
Jalori pass to manali?

Thanks!
Old 1st September 2010, 08:28   #5
BHPian

Hi Akshay,

Shimla - Narkanda should be around 3 hrs. max. We had stopped to take photos and diverted at Kufri for a bit. In the Ikon around 2 1/2 hrs max.

Narkanda - Sainj should be 1 hr.

Sainj - Jalori Jot around 2 hrs.

Jalori Jot - Manali around 5 hrs.

All the best for your drive. As I suggested earlier, ask local tempo drivers, taxi drivers about the present condition of the road. A good place to check would be Anni, after Sainj.
Old 9th September 2010, 00:34   #6
BHPian

Thanks very much gautam,
I now have a good idea about the route. We will hopefully spend the night at narkanda and leave the next morning for kullu.

Any places to stay at which you could suggest?
Old 9th September 2010, 10:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

In October, road condition will be very good, it will be fully tarred from Sainj to Aut via Jalori Jot.

Maybe, I would think that Jalori-Manali should not take more than 3-4 hours.

Place to stay at Narkhanda - best is HPTDC Hotel Hatu
Old 9th September 2010, 12:47   #8
BHPian

Thanks Mr. Kumar!
After seeing the photographs of the region, am wondering if I could stay an extra day at Anni/Sainj? Any suggestions?
Old 9th September 2010, 13:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

As you probably know, the road from Aut to Sainj skirts the Great Himalayan National Park
Home > Great Himalayan National Park

There are some hotels at Shoja/Banjar, here is a site of a luxury tent camp:
Camp Himalayan | Camp At Banjar | Camp Himalayan Bhiyar | Camp Near Manali | Camp Himalayan Banjar | Camp Himalayan Kullu | Camp At Banjar Valley | Camp In Banjar | Tents At Camp Himalayas

Ani and Sainj have no facilities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks