Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 07:43   #1
BHPian

hongkong trip

Guidance Regarding My 3 Day Trip To Hongkong.1st Day I Would Be Busy In The Jewellery Show At Hongkong Convention Centre That Is On 17 Th Sep.staying In Tsim Tsa Tsui.please Send Your Kind Advices.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:20   #2
BHPian

guys i am still waiting for all kind advices.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Montoo - don't take it as offence; did you do your homework on planning? Instead of writing a 2 line message that you want to visit HK & guys send me a plan, draft a rough sketch on the places you intend to visit with dates & then you can see the plan shaping up. Atleast, this is what most of us do & have been doing.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:55   #4
BHPian

Needs more than 2 days, but...

Hi, If you absolutely cannot extend your trip for more than two days, I would recommend the following:

Buddha at Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, more than just the Buddha statue, the cable car ride is quite exhilarating, especially if you choose the Crystal Cabin (Cabin with a glass bottom), however this whole trip will take at least half a day.
Tip: Ensure that you book your tickets for the cable car ride online at Ngong Ping 360 Official Website - Online Ticket Booking - this will ensure you bypass a long winding queue for the tickets & save at least about an hour.

The remaining half of the day you can go to Victoria Peak. Victoria peak is best visited just before sunset, that way you can get to see the view before and after sunset, after sunset is a much more spectacular view. If you wish You can also visit Madame Tussauds at Victoria Peak.

On the second day you can probably visit Kowloon, there are lot of shopping areas in Kowloon as well as quite a few museums, however the museums do take a lot of time, I couldn't finish even 30% of the museums in one whole day. You can also make sure you reach Avenue of Stars by about 8 pm and get to see the Light Show in which many of the buildings from HK Island participate, the show however is not as good as the one in Singapore.

You can probably also visit Stanley on the second day, however please note, Stanley is in HK Island, thus Stanley and Kowloon are at almost two different ends.

Hope this helps, but do check some sites to narrow down on what really interests you.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dud_Dodo View Post
Hi, If you absolutely cannot extend your trip for more than two days, I would recommend the following:

Buddha at Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, more than just the Buddha statue, the cable car ride is quite exhilarating, especially if you choose the Crystal Cabin (Cabin with a glass bottom), however this whole trip will take at least half a day.
Tip: Ensure that you book your tickets for the cable car ride online at Ngong Ping 360 Official Website - Online Ticket Booking - this will ensure you bypass a long winding queue for the tickets & save at least about an hour.

The remaining half of the day you can go to Victoria Peak. Victoria peak is best visited just before sunset, that way you can get to see the view before and after sunset, after sunset is a much more spectacular view. If you wish You can also visit Madame Tussauds at Victoria Peak.

On the second day you can probably visit Kowloon, there are lot of shopping areas in Kowloon as well as quite a few museums, however the museums do take a lot of time, I couldn't finish even 30% of the museums in one whole day. You can also make sure you reach Avenue of Stars by about 8 pm and get to see the Light Show in which many of the buildings from HK Island participate, the show however is not as good as the one in Singapore.

You can probably also visit Stanley on the second day, however please note, Stanley is in HK Island, thus Stanley and Kowloon are at almost two different ends.

Hope this helps, but do check some sites to narrow down on what really interests you.
Just adding more to your list , take a SAMPAN boat ride in the harbour the boatman or boatwoman will show you luxury boat of Jackie Chan, floating restaurant, and will sail below flyovers bridges.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:23   #6
BHPian

thanks a lot for guiding me,specially AARGEE JI.I HAVE JUST STARTED TO POST.THIS IS MY SECOND POST.IN FUTURE I WOULD OFFCOURSE KEEP IN MY MIND ABOUT HOW TO POST.
SECONDLY HERE IS MY PLAN.
DAY 1--ARRIVING HKG FROM BKK AROUND 12 AM.AFTERWARDS HOTEL AND EXHIBITION.I THINK I WOULD RETURN FROM CONVENTION CENTRE AROUND 6 PM.AFTER THAT I CAN WATCH LIGHT SHOW AND DINNER AND SLEEP.
DAY 2---I HAVE PLANNED FOR REPULSE BAY,LANTAU ISLAND,MADAM TUSSAUDS,VICTORIA PEAK ETC,ETC
ACTUALLY ALL THESE PLACES(YOU CAN ALTER THESE PALCES IF THEY ARE NOT WORTH TO VISIT)CAN BE DISTRIBUTED IN 2ND AND 3RD DAY,AS I HAVE NIGHT FLIGHT TO DELHI ON 3 RD DAY.
I WOULD STIC TO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ONLY.
guidance welcome .
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:23   #7
BHPian

I Am Waiting For The Suggestions Bhaaiyon.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:09   #8
BHPian

Re: Hongkong trip

This is my travel log and will update photos later, I am a lil bit lazy and also there are way too many photos.
I had to go to HK for my son, Me and my wife had visited Disneyland in LA 10 years back, so my son (now 5 years) was asking us when will we show him the Disneyland. So during his vacation (between LKG and UKG) we went to HK.

Plans: got a quote from SOTC and Thomas Cook for 3 people( me wife and kid) it was 1.65 lacs from Bangalore(this included stay, air tickets, tickets to Disneyland incl lunch, morning breakfast, pick up and drop - excluding Macau). Most packages are with Macau included( I was not interested to go with wife and kid to a gambling city). Good place to go alone and if u want some flesh and gambling.

I have a friends friend in HK and he told me if u know English and comfortable with maps don't be bothered by package tours and u can come on ur own. I have travelled extensively and am never happy with packaged tours, so decided to go on our own.

Searched for the fares and other rates for comparison and with the same hotel and airlines as the package, I spent
Air ticket for 3 - 76000
Hotel - 18000
Travel charges with 1 day in Disneyland, 1 day in Ocean park and food and other tickets(no shopping) - 24000
Total excl shopping was around 1.2 lacs(flat 45000 less than SOTC).

Pick up free maps from the airport and there are people near exit to tell u what to do. I got to choose where I eat and what I do.
We reached HK around 11.00 and took the airport express/shuttle to our hotel, the hotel clerk was surprised to see a Indian family checking in without being part of a group.

After freshening up we had lunch at McDonalds and went to the harbour tour and downtown walk/shopping.
Next day to Oceanpark (similar to Seaworld/Santosa...) my son enjoyed a lot.
Next day to Disneyland - not as big as in Paris or LA but a day is required. Again my son enjoyed a lot.
On the fourth day we checked out(but the hotel keeps the luggage secured for entire day) so we checked out before 12. Went to kowloon park, the peak ferry ride...
Came back to hotel by 7 and picked up our luggage to take the shuttle to airport train station and back to airport. (They took care of the luggage for free.

HK is similar to Singapore(small) but is hilly area so much more cramped. Lots of high rises(sic) but good infrastructure( over 7 different metro lines even under the sea).
Food is not a problem but English is, not all talk in English, was surprised as this used to be a English colony. But all the signs are in English and Chinese. Those who speak do speak very well.

Wanted to buy a Projector, Camera, Nintendo WII....... realized the prices are just a lil bit cheaper in the big stores - not much difference, only bought a XBOX kinect for around 18000 with a free gaming DVD.(Its around 24000 here without the free games).

As mentioned in some other threads, good branded clothes are available but I feel we are better off buying in Bangalore.

I will upload the photos later.

Saw all kinds of cars and some strage designs too from toyota and Honda they were like a boxes.

PS: If you want to see beautiful girls don't bother visitng HK. They all are fair and skinny but not beautiful.

An incident:
I was walking and my wife was shopping for a watch on the street. A Indian looking guy comes along and asks me Ghodi chayiye?

I was like what will I do with Ghodi in HK downtown? Also why ghodi , why not a ghoda?

Then I thought may he is asking if i want a girl(gori), I said no, he pointed me toward my wife and said ghodi.

I was confused, later I realised he was refering to watch(Ghadi).
DoNotHorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 12:12   #9
BHPian

Re: hongkong trip

donothorn- the person who had asked for the suggestion have been banned and it was in august 2010.anyway good report.
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:19   #10
BHPian

Hi @DoNotHorn, We are planning a vacation to Hong Kong in April. I wanted some inputs from you about the accomodation. Which hotel were you staying in?

Regards,

Samish
Old 17th May 2013, 01:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to bump up this thread, but are there any others on TBHP who can share their Hong Kong adventures?
I am planning a 3 day trip to HK - mainly for Disneyland (2 days) and Ocean Park (1 day). Perhaps I should then go to some other country like Singapore or Malaysia.
Total time I have is 9 days (Saturday to next Sunday).
Can someone help me put up a plan together?
I would be with my wife and my 4 year old - mainly going for them.
So, I would not want to make it hectic travel, but a memorable trip.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:24   #12
BHPian

Just came back as my son was adamant that he wanted to go to Disney this holiday. I extended it to include Macau as well.

Quick Itenary:

Land in the morning at HK Airport. Directly take the ferry to Macau. Stayed for 2 nights at the Galaxy Macau and even thought he rooms are smaller then Venetian, its a superb hotel. Definatelt 5 star facilities and a beautiful wave pool, with lots of things for the kids to do.

Left Macau and went to HK island by Ferry. Stayed at City Garden Hotel.

Day 1: Victorias Peak and then the Avenue of stars in the evening. Its a nice place to just chill out. Also you can see the light show from here. The light show is not great and I really would not bother with it.

Day 2/3 - Disney world. Nice for kids between 5-7 years. Its quite boring for adults, except one roller coaster in Grissly and 2-3 rides in tomorrow world. Be ready for long ques for everything, which is the case atleast on week days. Dont miss the daily parade at around 3:30 PM. Its a highlight for the kids. Also some of the shows are better than the rides. Lion King, Golden Mickeys, Mickeys Philharmonic and Stitch are all nice. Make sure your kid is above a certin height, I think 108 cms, otherwise a lot of rides will be ruled out. Also make sure you take a two day pass. 1 Day is just not enough, specially if you have to wait in Q's.

Day 4/5 - One day spent in shopping in various areas, Times Square, IFC Mall, both are really high end and unless you want to spend that kind of money dont bother. Ladies market is good for some stuff, but you have to haggle a lot. So be prepared for that. I got a lot of soveniours, some clothes, shoes etc from there. Also luggage seems to be selling big time here. Good quality flexi plastic luggage at good prices. I bought one piece and used it on the way back. Worth it for what I payed. Next day we went to the Buddha Statue, this is near the airport. You can take a train or a cab. DOnt miss the cable car ride. Its quite nice.

Day 5 was really relaxed and just packing and we took a taxi back to the airport. Taxi costs around 350 HKD one way and its really very nice.

Didnt bother doing Ocean World as I dont think I could do another day of theme parks.

All in all a good trip, but way more expensive as compared to Singapore. I preferred my Singapore tirp last year and I find Sentosa a whole lot better for kids.
mav2000 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks