Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2017, 17:15   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Thanks. I'll leave Whitefield only by 3:30pm which would make me get there by 8:30. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try.

The shimoga route is your best bet. I took the same while returning from Jog to Bangalore. Avoid Bhadravati as a shimoga local guy told due to additional truck traffic.
The shimoga route is absolutely fine apart from a few stretches which is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
A friend of mine usually takes this route to visit his home in Shimoga: Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Holalkere - Channagiri - Shimoga

As per him this is the best and fastest route to reach shimoga as the roads a very good throughout

Hey luvurride do let us know is Jog these days. was planning to visit it with family next weekend.

Jog Falls is not in its full blown force yet as the dam gates are still not open. But it isn't that bad as you have a couple of falls active. The new viewing point makes for a great view of the falls and also has stairs taking you all the way down if you are up for a draining climb.
Attaching a pic of my recent visit on the 26th June.

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498823093.757003.jpg
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 15:30   #17
BHPian

Sorry guys, I skipped Jog as I could start only by 5pm. Jog was supposed to be a stopover enroute to Goa. Since we started late, and it was raining, decided to take a break at Ranebannur instead.
Old 8th August 2017, 00:18   #18
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences

Hi Guys,

How's the flow at Jog falls now? Based on your inputs will add it to my Hyderabad - Bangalore - Kodachari itinerary for this weekend (Aug 15th).

For now I am looking at these route Options and would appreciate if you guys can share some inputs. Plan is to leave early morning on Saturday (Aug 12th) from Bangalore.

Option 1:

Preferred one as Shivamogga is not the final destination. Have this in mind due to the Shivamogga - Jog route being beautiful to drive as per earlier reports and so plan to join that route at Harnahalli

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-blorechitrdurgadavangereharnahallisagarjogkodachari.jpg

Option 2:

Google gives this the default but misses out on the Shivamogga - Jog route

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-blorechitrdurgadavangerejog-falls-kodachari.jpg

Option 3:

Channagiri - Shivamogga doesn't seem to be done yet so not sure of this route.

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-blorechitrdurgashivmogasagarjogkodachari.jpg

Option 4:

Many seem to recommend this for Shivmogga destination but it not being the final destination, may avoid this unless feedback is to the contrary.

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-bloretumkurshivmoggajogkodachari.jpg

Return

Will cover Agumbe, Chikmagalur.

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-kodachariblore.jpg

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 8th August 2017, 08:06   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
How's the flow at Jog falls now? Based on your inputs will add it to my Hyderabad - Bangalore - Kodachari itinerary for this weekend (Aug 15th).
If you are planning drive from Bangalore I would suggest the Shimoga option via CR Patna. It may be more on 2-lanes, but you would enjoy the drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are planning drive from Bangalore I would suggest the Shimoga option via CR Patna. It may be more on 2-lanes, but you would enjoy the drive.
Thanks ampere. Just to be sure, you mean this route?

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-blorechannarayapatnashimmogajogkodachari.jpg
Old 8th August 2017, 13:03   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Thanks ampere. Just to be sure, you mean this route?
Yes.

For Kollur, you can also try: Shimoga-Ayyanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes.

For Kollur, you can also try: Shimoga-Ayyanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur
Thanks a lot for the quick response ampere.

Yes, if I am skipping Jog falls, the route you mentioned is what I would be taking. If Jog falls is included, may use the below route on return from Jog falls

Jog falls - Sagar - Hosanagar- Nagara- Kattinahole

Google though shows Jog falls - Sagar - Hosanadu (Sharavati Valley Sanctuary route)- Kattinahole which I am kind of skeptical since not sure how good the roads will be inside the Sanctuary during the rainy season as the road seem to have water crossings.
Old 9th August 2017, 16:09   #23
BHPian

Hi There,

I would recommend via CR Patna-Shimoga for Jog or Kollur.

This route is good due to decent and multiple options for rest and food.

Roads are good and scenic till Shimoga and fantastic beyond Shimoga during monsoon. All the drives in the region till you come back on BLR -MLR road are good.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:16   #24
BHPian

Finished the trip for the Aug 15th weekend and couldn't update due to work travel right after coming back. Thanks @ampere and @aithalsandy for the inputs.

Took the Blore -CR Partna - Shimoga - Sagar -Jog route and following sections had few bad patches

1. From CR Patna - Arsikere
2. Near Tarikere
3. From Bhadravathi - Shimoga few patches

Shimoga - Sagar - Jog was an awesome drive and worth it.
Thanks @aithalsandy for recommending this.

Jog falls was a disappointment though with not much water though was prepared for it. Looked pretty much what @justwheels http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4226267 posted in this post
Old 31st August 2017, 11:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow I would be travelling to Jog falls and planning to take Blore -CR Patna - Shimoga - Sagar -Jog route. I am planning to start by around 5 am.

1. How many tolls along the way? And are they fasttag enabled?
2. Suggestions for good places with clean restrooms for breakfast and lunch along the way? I am thinking of Swathi delicacy for breakfast stop. Any other suggestions?
3. Good COCO petrol bunks along the way? Preferably IOC.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st August 2017, 13:01   #26
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Tomorrow I would be travelling to Jog falls and planning to take Blore -CR Patna - Shimoga - Sagar -Jog route. I am planning to start by around 5 am.
1. Tolls - I think there are 3 tolls till CR Patna (Plus the Tumkur Road elevated one if you use it). Remember having a mixed experience with FasTag on this stretch, the last one near CR Patna wasn't accepting, but then that was more than a year ago, not sure of current situation

2. Breakfast stop - Swathi is good, there is an Adigas Grand nearby which I haven't tried. Also, about 10Km later there is Mayura at Bellur Cross.
Lunch - Shimoga may be tad early, maybe some place in Sagar like Varadashree ? Have read about this but never tried it.

3. COCO bunks - not sure but there are quite a few big ones, including HP, BP and IOC
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 13:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. Tolls - I think there are 3 tolls till CR Patna (Plus the Tumkur Road elevated one if you use it). Remember having a mixed experience with FasTag on this stretch, the last one near CR Patna wasn't accepting, but then that was more than a year ago, not sure of current situation

2. Breakfast stop - Swathi is good, there is an Adigas Grand nearby which I haven't tried. Also, about 10Km later there is Mayura at Bellur Cross.
Lunch - Shimoga may be tad early, maybe some place in Sagar like Varadashree ? Have read about this but never tried it.

3. COCO bunks - not sure but there are quite a few big ones, including HP, BP and IOC
Thanks NPV. After CR patna are there no tolls? We might plan to have a light breakfast and an early lunch if options are better in shimoga. Since we (me and my friends) are going with family with small kids(< 1 year) in tow, it would be great if the place is hygenic and clean.
Old 31st August 2017, 13:52   #28
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After CR patna are there no tolls?
This is basically the Hassan/Mangalore highway and is tolled only upto CR Patna outskirts, beyond that widening work is still in progress, hence no tolls yet.

Also, note that you need to turn off from this highway at CR Patna (turn towards right) and head towards Gandasi/Arsikere. Turn left at Arsikere and proceed towards Shimoga (at Arsikere, you merge onto the old NH206 highway from Tumkur to Shimoga/Sagar/Honnavara).

Quote:
We might plan to have a light breakfast and an early lunch if options are better in shimoga. Since we (me and my friends) are going with family with small kids(< 1 year) in tow, it would be great if the place is hygenic and clean.
At Shimoga, there are several options like Jewel Rock, Royal Orchid and Samrat Ashok (these 2 are close to the bus stand and also to the Sagar highway). We had lunch at Samrat Ashok during an earlier trip and it was very good.

If you have time, you can also visit Tyavarekoppa Lion and Tiger Safari which is about 10Km from Shimoga when going towards Sagar.

Last edited by NPV : 31st August 2017 at 13:56.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 14:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
a. NICE toll-If you use it
b. NBTPL- 20 rupees one way, if you use it.
c. LANCO toll at - 40 rupees one way, if you use it.
d. Bellur - 40 rupees one way
e. Hirisave - 40 rupees one way

Considering you are leaving early, toll a. can be skipped without any issue-no matter which part of the city you are in
toll b. and c. can be skipped if you decide to take the Magadi road to Kunigal

All of these tolls are Fastag enabled but, the working of those can not be guaranteed. They can decide to completely close it, reserve it only for VIP movement, allow non-Fastag vehicles...all dependent to their whims, fancies, convenience and your luck. I've experienced all of these cases in my trip couple of weeks back. So don't go with 0 cash

Quote:
2. Suggestions for good places with clean restrooms for breakfast and lunch along the way? I am thinking of Swathi delicacy for breakfast stop. Any other suggestions?
Swathi delicacy is good, but I'm avoiding it these days because it's crowded like hell. they have expanded the facility, they also serve to your car when crowded, but still I prefer less crowded restaurants. Mayura is pretty average IMO. Adiga's grand is also decent.
there is one Upsouth as well. Adyar Anand bhavan is 5Kms after the CRpatna-Arasikere turn, so you'll miss it.
Coffee days are littered if you fancy.
While all these are good for breakfast, you can have lunch at Tip-Top at Sagara

Quote:
3. Good COCO petrol bunks along the way? Preferably IOC.
I remember that there is an IOC COCO station at Gandasi cross (before Arasikere)

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 31st August 2017 at 14:10.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 14:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
As NPV mentioned, once you exit Tumkur road elevated highway, you will get total 3 toll booths and all are fastaged. However out of these 3 only 2 have dedicated path for FastTag customers. I have been using Fastag in this stretch for quite sometime and I always had a smooth transit.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks