Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 07:28   #1

Delhi - Somnath - Shirdi - Delhi route help

I will be leaving tomorrow morning with my parents for this trip. Places to cover are: Somnath, Dwarka, Shirdi

I wanted to have guidance on the best routes to take for:
1. Delhi - Somnath (This would include a night stop either at Udaipur/Ahmedabad/Vadodra, whichever comes in route and looks feasible)
2. Somnath - Shirdi

Thanks for the suggestions people!
Old 9th September 2010, 10:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Delhi-Somnath:
Delhi-Jaipur-Kishangarh-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Pindwara-Abu Road-Palanpur-Deesa-Radhanpur-Samakhiyari-Maliya-Morbi-Bambanbhore-Rajkot-JUnagadh-Veraval-Somnath

Udaipur would be a OK place to halt, but I think you can push it to Palanpur, so that your next day becomes easier. If you take the recommended route, you can have the advantage of 4-laned superfast roads all the way, with all major towns being bypassed. Broadly, this means NH8-NH79-NH76-NH14-NH15-NH8A route.

Alternatively, you can go from Delhi via Bikaner, Pokharan, Jaisalmer, Barmer, Tharad to Radhanpur and Rajkot. One more option is to take Nh8 via Jaipur and Ajmer to Beawar and then go via Jodhpur to Palanpur. But these are on 2-laned roads.

For Dwaraka, it is a straightforward route from Somnath, you can go directly from there via Bhatia and Jamnagar to Rajkot for onward journey to Shirdi.

Somnath-Shirdi:
Somnath-Veraval-JUnagadh-Rajkot-Bambanbhore-Sayla-Limbdi-Badogara-Ahmedabad-Baroda-Bharuch-Ankleshwar-Surat-Navapur-Dhulia-Malegaon-Manmad-Kopargaon-Shirdi

If you are a fast driver, this can be done in a day. If you are not so, then maybe Surat could be the possible night halt. Till Surat, you will have high-speed 4-laned roads. Hence, I am deliberately not suggesting that you take a shorter route from Bagodara via Vataman, Tarapur and Borsad to Baroda. Ahmedabad is beautifully bypassed thanks to the Sardar Patel Ring Road.

Last edited by hvkumar : 9th September 2010 at 10:48.
Old 9th September 2010, 20:30   #3

^^ Thanks for the information.. One question regarding the first route for Delhi - Somnath, wont NH-8 (this includes missing Ajmer thru NH-79, 76) be better?

To everone.. Any suggestions/tips regarding the current weather?
Old 9th September 2010, 21:04   #4

@hvkumar.. I wasnt able to clearly express my doubt in the last post. Actually when I am checking the total distance of the first route you've suggested for Delhi - Somnath (with stay in Palanpur), it comes out to around 1500kms whereas if i take NH8 till Kishangarh, NH76/79 to Udaipur, NH8 till Ahmedabad, NH8A till Limbdi and then state highways 20/38/21/33/34/112/111/96 (which takes from places like Ranpur, Botad, Gadhada, Dhaso, Lathi, Amreli, Talal, etc.) till Somnath, it makes a distance of 1300 kms.
Sorry if its a noob question, but it'd help if you can highlight the advantages il have with the suggested route.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Wikus : 9th September 2010 at 21:12.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes, first route you will miss Ajmer, much more faster to take NH79/NH76 instead of the 2-laned NH8 which also sees lots of traffic.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:21   #6

^^ but what about from Udaipur to Ahmedabad and then using state highways to reach Somnath, that totals to distance 200 kms less then the one which uses Abu Road, Rajkot, etc..
Old 9th September 2010, 21:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Compare the distances:

My preferred option:
Delhi-Jaipur 250 kms-Kishangarh 95-Bhilwara 170-Chittorgarh 50-Udaipur 100-Pindwara 100-Palanpur 100-Radhanpur 120-Samkhiyari 150-Morbi 75-Bambanbhore 60-Rajkot 30-Junagadh 100-Somnath 90, totalling around 1500 kms

Superfast, 4 laned all the way. You can do 100 kms in 1 hour in some stretches. Lovely vistas of the Rann of Kutch between Radhanpur and Morbi.

Shortest option
Delhi-Jaipur 250 kms-Kishangarh 95-Bhilwara 170-Chittorgarh 50-Udaipur 100-Ahmedabad 280-Bambanbhore 180-Rajkot 30-Junagadh 100-Somnath 90, totalling almost 1400 kms

Slower compared to first option, have to cross Ahmedabad (although S P Ring Road is great)

NH8 Option
Delhi-Jaipur 250-Kishangarh 95-Ajmer 30-Beawar 55-Pali 120-Sirohi 100-Pindwara 25-Palanpur 100-Samkhiyari 270-Morbi 75-Bambanbhore 60-Rajkot 30-Junagadh 100-Somnath 90, totalling almost 1500 kms

Lots of 2-laned roads, slowest option.
Old 9th September 2010, 22:17   #8

Thanks again for the guidance.. I really appreciate it..

Would be going with your suggested route tomorrow morning..
Old 6th November 2013, 21:10   #9
BANNED

Gurgon to Shirdi and back

Dear All,

I've got 7 days towards New Year's and want to plan a road trip from Gurgaon to Shirdi and back with my wife and daughter. Would appreciate help in the route, itenary, etc from the forum members,

Cheers !

RD

Old 6th November 2013, 21:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gurgon to Shirdi and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinthru' View Post
Dear All,

I've got 7 days towards New Year's and want to plan a road trip from Gurgaon to Shirdi and back with my wife and daughter. Would appreciate help in the route, itenary, etc from the forum members,
Gurgaon-Jaipur-Ajmer-Chitorh-Ratlam-Indore-Dhule-Malegaon-Shirdi.

We are talking about 1200km out of which 1100km should be good. The last 100 varies from decent to bad to worse. (Esp roads around Shirdi)

How to break your journey :
You can add Ujjain to plan.

D1 : Drive to Ujjain. Exit Ratlam-Indore 4-lane at Badnawar and drive to Ujjain.
The Ratlam-Indore 4-lane runs only till Lebad. So instead of Indore, Ujjain may be better option and gives you another place to visit.

D2 : Spend in Ujjain.

D3 Drive to Shirdi. (~450km) should be there by evening. (Ujjain-Indore-Dhule-Malegain-Shirdi)

D4 : Spend in Shirdi

D5 : Start again back. This time you can try the Western Sector.
Drive to Vapi via Nashik. You can visit Triambak at Nasik.
Do check about Nashik-Vapi. Thats the only unknown. Once at Vapi you are on 4-lane. Drive to Ahmedabad and break.

D6 : Drive to Gurgaon via AMD. You have one more day of buffer which you can chose to use anywhere.

Complete Route Link

The only point is if some one can confirm about Nashik-Vapi road.

Last edited by ampere : 6th November 2013 at 21:58.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 01:03   #11

Re: Delhi - Somnath - Shirdi - Delhi route help

I am planning on a Delhi-Shirdi-Mount Abu-Udaipur-Delhi trip over 6days coming up next weekend.

Does any fellow TBHPian have any suggestions for the trip regarding road conditions, preferred routes, avoidable stretches, avoidable travel hours, and so on and so forth based on recent experience considering that any info on Delhi/Shirdi trip on TBHP is 8-9yrs old.

Any sharing of updated information shall be appreciated.
Old 14th September 2018, 12:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief@006 View Post
I am planning on a Delhi-Shirdi-Mount Abu-Udaipur-Delhi trip over 6days coming up next weekend..

You can travel as per the below route:

1) Delhi-Jaipur-kishangarh-Udaipur-Ahmedabad m
2) Ahmedabad-Vadodara-Surat-Navsari-Saputara-Shirdi
3) Shirdi to Ahmedabad following the same route.
4) Ahmedabad-Mount Abu-Ajmer-Jaipur-Delhi

The above roads are good all the way and won't have any issue. However 6 days might get a little tight.

Last edited by ampere : 14th September 2018 at 17:49. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 14th September 2018, 12:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
You can travel as per the below route:

1) Delhi-Jaipur-kishangarh-Udaipur-Ahmedabad m
2) Ahmedabad-Vadodara-Surat-Navsari-Saputara-Shirdi
3) Shirdi to Ahmedabad following the same route.
4) Ahmedabad-Mount Abu-Ajmer-Jaipur-Delhi

The above roads are good all the way and won't have any issue. However 6 days might get a little tight.
Thanks for the response.

On the ingress route, Jaipur-Ajmer-Chittorgarh-Neemuch-Mandsaur-Dhule-Shirdi Route is shorter by 200km and 4hours.

On egress, since Mt Abu is the target, the Ahmedabad route is almost equivalent.

Is the difference in road conditions and safety on MP route bad compared to Gujarat route to the extent that the time and distance difference is justified?

Someone with recent exposure to MP route would be able to shed light on that.

You are right, 6days is a bit tight if Mt Abu is to be covered in comfort. But then, we Indians are adept at adjusting to everything, isn’t it?

Appreciate your advice abhikb.
Old 14th September 2018, 13:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
============
Appreciate your advice abhikb.

The chittorgarh m- Mandsaur route is also doable. However, the road conditions in Gujarat are way better then in MP. If you to shirdi through Ahmedabad you can easily cover 70 kms in a hour.
Further you wanted to cover Udaipur as well so it can also be done.
Anyways wait for other BHPians to revert who have travelled recently.
Old 18th September 2018, 17:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

On the ingress route, Jaipur-Ajmer-Chittorgarh-Neemuch-Mandsaur-Dhule-Shirdi Route is shorter by 200km and 4hours.

Is the difference in road conditions and safety on MP route bad compared to Gujarat route to the extent that the time and distance difference is justified?

Someone with recent exposure to MP route would be able to shed light on that.
Last friday i did Delhi to Pune through Chittorgarh-Dhule route. Roads through MP are fine but the only trouble is two lane highway out of which left side lane is always covered with slow moving two wheelers, so you have to have patience to drive on this highway. Also COWS COWS everywhere, left right and center. I almost went through a Cow which was sitting right in the middle when i was behind a truck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks