Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 12:27   #1
BHPian

Travel to Leh in October 2010 - Figo Tdci or Baleno or Estilo or Innova

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion on TSK1979's excellent Leh & Ladakh Guide at this link

Hi friends,
I have been thinking of driving to Leh for almost two years. The biggest hurdle is not the will power but the ride. Options are

1. 2006 Baleno, done 70k, new bridgestone tyres
2. 2008 Estilo, done 30k (for the sheer light weight of the vehicle - may be easier to negotiate water/slush)
3. 2010 Figo Diesel, done 5k (for diesel sake but too low - sometimes scrapes even on gurgaon roads)
4. 2009 innova diesel (feel its too heavy and may be difficult to manage, but very comfortable)

I was saving to buy a gypsy, but bought figo after BSIV norms were enforced. Now with BS IV gypsy available, i feel miserable. I may not be able to buy a gypsy for the next two years now.

Your suggestions are awaited and hopefully i would be able to decide fast on the car to be used for the trip.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2013 at 10:33. Reason: Link to Guide
Old 9th September 2010, 13:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Innova is your best bet, as the ladder on frame chasis is tougher to minor impacts, and the engine sits high.
Also water crossings will be easier if they are deep. Small cars have low hanging front sump.
Most taxis are innovas and sumos and ply normally in those regions.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Innova is your best bet, as the ladder on frame chasis is tougher to minor impacts, and the engine sits high.
Also water crossings will be easier if they are deep. Small cars have low hanging front sump.
Most taxis are innovas and sumos and ply normally in those regions.

Thanks tsk. Will it not be a difficult situation, if the vehicle gets stuck. I have had an issue with innova getting stuck in Jaisalmer, where the small cars just moved on.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

the nature of obstacles on the normal roads which you will do is different. They involve rocky water crossings, which are very difficult in small cars.
Other places have partial landslides, which leads to a rocky path, and here again a high engine sump will help.
Remember, when driving on such terrain, the "Average GC" not the listed GC which matters.
Innova on paper may show 180mm GC, but the parts which are low hung are the center rear diff, which at slow speeds is very durable to slight impacts.
Innova taxis are common in Leh, and in case of any minor problem., getting spares is not an issue. Even for MAruti this is the case, but due to the nature of terrain, the suspension and body may take a beating.
The only situation where a small car will favor you is that if you get snow on the road. Try buying snow chains for your trip from manali or leh. I never enquired about them, but saw a few qualis wearing snow chains.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks