Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 00:27   #1
BHPian

Trip Advice Required | Kolkata to Bhubaneswar and Rourkela

I am planning 2 quick trips banking on my mapmyindia product, RoadPilot.

1. Kolkata to Bhubaneswar, mapmyindia suggests Mapmyindia :: Maps

2. Kolkata to Rourkela, mapmyindia suggests, Mapmyindia :: Maps

- How are these routes in terms of safety and road condition ?
- Hows reliable is the mapmyindia device in these routes ?

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 14th September 2010 at 00:43.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

As fas as Bhubaneswar drive is concerned, no problems at all. You skirt Kharagpur and get onto NH60. IT is a no-brainer of a route, you don't need any navigation devices, route is straightfprward and signages are outstanding. AS you near Kharagpur, watch out for the interchange where the road staright goes to Bombay (NH6), whereas, you will have to turn left onto Nh60.

AS far as Rourkela is concerned, you continue on NH6 till Barkot. There are safety issues after crossing Kharagpur till Lodasuli near the OR-JH borders. You may have to travel in a convoy depending on the then-security situation. I believe the Barkot-Rourkela road is in a very bad condition.

I think you must junk this MMI route profile. I have been on this route several times, but none of the place names - as they appear on the road - are correctly written in the MMI you have displayed. So ignore them and follow NH6 till Barkote - which comes after Pallahara and before Sambalpur, and at the town, you will see the turn off to Rourkela.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:29   #3
BHPian

Thanks hvkumar !

Looks like I have to skip the Kolkata<->Rourkela trip. Security Convoy and Bad road condition in the same line is definitely not a happy thought ! Heard the Kolkata<->Bhubaneswar one is a good one. Let me work that out first.

Let me know if I can somehow omit bad roads and security concerns off the Kolkata<->Rourkela one.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

No, Abhishek, I don't think you have any safe choices to go to Rourkela.
But you will enjoy the B'War drive.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, Abhishek, I don't think you have any safe choices to go to Rourkela.
But you will enjoy the B'War drive.
Oh All right ! Guess this thread has served it's purpose then :(

Will update about the B'War trip.
Old 14th September 2010, 10:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Oh All right ! Guess this thread has served it's purpose then :(

Will update about the B'War trip.
Hi Abhishek

KOLKATA to BBSR is excellent road. As HVK sir already told...You dont need a nevigation device for this route. Roads are excellent 4 lane GQ except some patches between Balasore and Bhadrak. But you can do moderate speed on this patch(70 KM).

As regarding KOLKATA to ROURKELA route..i must suggest you that please avoid this route. Even if you get some police protection, but still dont go that route with family.

You can do BBSR to ROURKELA easily. Its a total around 335 KM. Excellent road SH till rourkela.

I have done this route in this month only. Very less traffic till SAMBALPUR. SAMBALPUR to JHARSUGUDA some truck traffic are there..then its less traffic again till rourkela.

The route may be like as below:-

BBSR--> Cuttack --> Jagatpur --> Manguli squre(take left turn here)
--> Anugul --> Redhakhol --> Sambalpur (Dhanupali squre...Take Right turn here...after this then again a small squre take left turn here for rourkela or ask some one for the rourkela route) --> Jharsuguda(Take the Bypass road) --> SundarGad(Take the Bypass road) --> Rourkela.

In this route Major towns are BBSR, Cuttack, Anugul, Redhakhol, Sambalpur, Jharsuguda, Sundargad.

Waiting for your travelog....
Best of luck and drive safe.

Regards
KALINGA

Last edited by KALINGA : 14th September 2010 at 10:17.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:45   #7
BHPian

Thanks Kalinga. Bhubaneswar to Rourkela. That sounds interesting. Just that, it will call me for taking a longer leave if I want to spend time in each of the places together. Let me see if I can manage that.

MMI suggests this route, Mapmyindia :: Maps

Is this ok ?
Old 14th September 2010, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Actually the route i mentioned in my previous post is the best route for
BBSR to ROURKELA.

Good road till rourkela.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:55   #9
BHPian

Is there a way I can reprogram my MMI device as per the route that Kalinga suggested ? Easier to go about without asking directions. I know I am being lazy, it will just help
Old 15th September 2010, 10:37   #10
BHPian

Hi Abhishek,

I dont have any GPS...So i can not help you on that.

On that route i think u dont need any GPS really.
Lets me more descriptive on the route....

BBSR --> Manguli Squre :- Stright road from BBSR. Take left turn at Manguli squre.

Manguli Squre --> Rourkela :- After reaching SAMBALPUR / Dhanupali Squre, Take right turn here for rourkela road. No need to ask here. After 1 / 2 KM there is another squre, take left there....drive straight....after 2 / 2.5 KM again a squre come...take right turn here. that road straight to JHARSUGUDA(By Pass) --> Sundargarah (By Pass) --> ROURKELA.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:39   #11
BHPian

This looks good. Hope to work this out soon !
Old 20th September 2010, 16:04   #12
BHPian

Any update ??

Quote:
This looks good. Hope to work this out soon !
hello abhishek,

any update about the trip??
Old 20th September 2010, 17:15   #13
BHPian

Nothing yet. My return to India got delayed by another week :(
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
As fas as Bhubaneswar drive is concerned, no problems at all. You skirt Kharagpur and get onto NH60. IT is a no-brainer of a route, you don't need any navigation devices, route is straightfprward and signages are outstanding. AS you near Kharagpur, watch out for the interchange where the road staright goes to Bombay (NH6), whereas, you will have to turn left onto Nh60.
I think the road straight under the flyover goes to NH60. It is kind of confusing because of poor signage in advance. The idea is to take the road that goes under the flyover. We took a wrong turn here and ended up in NH6.

Quote:
I am planning 2 quick trips banking on my mapmyindia product, RoadPilot.

1. Kolkata to Bhubaneswar, mapmyindia suggests Mapmyindia :: Maps

2. Kolkata to Rourkela, mapmyindia suggests, Mapmyindia :: Maps

- How are these routes in terms of safety and road condition ?
- Hows reliable is the mapmyindia device in these routes ?
Please plan for Jaleswar border.

1. You may have to pay road tax.
2. There may be long queue. We were crossing the border on a sunday afternoon, still were stuck after crossing the border.

Planning to cross it early would probably be a better choice.

If you are traveling with ladies, please keep in mind that there is no good hotel after you cross Kolaghat. There are some hotels on the opposite side after Kolaghat.

After you cross Kolaghat, the next place with good restaurants would be Balasore.

There is an alternate road through Balasore which connects you to NH5. The road condition was a mix of bad and good last year. Between Balasore and Bhadrak, there were not many good hotels.
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I think the road straight under the flyover goes to NH60. It is kind of confusing because of poor signage in advance. The idea is to take the road that goes under the flyover. We took a wrong turn here and ended up in NH6.
I have driven till this place and beyond towards Bhubaneswar. This is indeed little confusing but I am kind of aware of this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
1. You may have to pay road tax.
2. There may be long queue. We were crossing the border on a sunday afternoon, still were stuck after crossing the border.

.. please keep in mind that there is no good hotel after you cross Kolaghat. There are some hotels on the opposite side after Kolaghat.

After you cross Kolaghat, the next place with good restaurants would be Balasore.

There is an alternate road through Balasore which connects you to NH5. The road condition was a mix of bad and good last year. Between Balasore and Bhadrak, there were not many good hotels.
Kolaghat to Balasore. That's a long drive. Good to know. Will be prepared. Thanks for sharing.

Road Tax. That's another concern of mine. Legally where all are we actually supposed to pay road tax and how much ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks