Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 00:12   #16

Re: Current road condition from Hyderabad to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
There might be queues of trucks blocking both the lanes, and you might need to offroad to cross the border.
There would be queues of trucks even on the GQ? Again, pardon my ignorance if that's the case as I have never before driven through a state border.

Also, thanks Ranjit & BP for helping me out here. Is there a chance I can talk to any one of you guys on the phone?
Old 25th April 2012, 08:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Current road condition from Hyderabad to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by debopam View Post
There would be queues of trucks even on the GQ? Again, pardon my ignorance if that's the case as I have never before driven through a state border.

Also, thanks Ranjit & BP for helping me out here. Is there a chance I can talk to any one of you guys on the phone?
You can check out this link, where I have prepared a detailed route profile for Hyderabad-Calcutta:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1cwUjRTVFREb2c

You can plan to reach Vizag on Day 1, and Cal on Day 2, both with early morning starts and limited-break drives. You will find listed above good/safe hotels, restaurants & petrol pumps en route.

Border issue - you will face traffic congestion in OR-WB border, but that is more acute when you are coming from Cal, not while going up north.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 17:13   #18

Re: Alternate route from Hyderabad to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
From Vijayanagarm to BBSR...another route is there. But i dont think it will work.
Hi Kalinga,

Ranjith told me that you can help as to how cross BBSR fast. Is there a way, I can talk to you over phone?

Regards,
Debopam
Old 25th April 2012, 19:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debopam View Post
Hi Kalinga,

Ranjith told me that you can help as to how cross BBSR fast. Is there a way, I can talk to you over phone?

Regards,
Debopam
You can not by pass BBSR town. There is as such no ring road or by pass type road. One road is there that will take you to directly cuttack but i will not recommend you that road.

Stick to NH which passes through BBSR city. Many flyover are there in main junction. So traffic may not be a issue.

But BBSR---> Cuttack road is now more traffic so that may take some time to reach cuttack at pick hour. Once you cross cuttack town then you are traffic free till Balasore/Jaleswar town(GQ Road).

BTW which route you are taking from HYD to KOL

Last edited by KALINGA : 25th April 2012 at 19:54.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
BTW which route you are taking from HYD to KOL
The route decided is Hyderabad -> Vijaywada -> Vizag -> follow GQ till Kharagpur -> Mumbai Road -> Kolkata
Old 25th April 2012, 21:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^^
From Kharagpur to Calcutta it is NH6 (Bombay Road) which is still the GQ.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th July 2013, 14:19   #22
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to do Hyd-Kolkata within the next 2 weeks. Planning to take the Hyd - Vij - Viz - BBSR - Kol route with a stopover of one full day at Vizag.

So my plan is start from Hyd by 9 PM, reach Vizag the next day by 10 AM, spend the whole day there, restart from Vizag the next day by 12 PM and reach Kolkata the same night around midnight. Sounds reasonable? How long does it take roughly to drive from Vizag to Kolkata? Any update on the road conditions and anything to keep in mind particularly?

Am going to drive a Chevy Spark and have fair amount of long distance driving experience.

Cheers!
Old 10th September 2013, 20:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Hi,

I am planning to do Hyd-Kolkata within the next 2 weeks. Planning to take the Hyd - Vij - Viz - BBSR - Kol route with a stopover of one full day at Vizag.

Am going to drive a Chevy Spark and have fair amount of long distance driving experience.

Cheers!
Did you do this trip? Please let me know the road conditions and the pain points in the route. I plan to do a BBSR-HYD and back next month before Diwali.

Also Hyderabad guys do let me know if a WB number plate would attract unwanted attention of the cops when in Hyderabad(would be there only for a week). My movements in Hyderabad would be restricted to Hitech City/Gacchibowli/Lingampally areas.
Old 10th September 2013, 21:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Did you do this trip? Please let me know the road conditions and the pain points in the route. I plan to do a BBSR-HYD and back next month before Diwali.
Yes, I did it. Am back at Hyd now. BBSR-HYD is a dream to drive on for most parts. Luckily for you, the worse parts with countless diversions are in between BBSR and KOL, which you won't be touching. A more detailed breakdown:

1. BBSR to Chilka - silky smooth. Beautiful views too. Do stop near the lake where you'll find the road cutting in between two hills. There's an awesome view of the lake and if you wait for a while, you might be lucky to spot a train screaming through the lake which makes for a great photo opp. Also, the crab and prawns at Chilka Dhaba (slightly off the road) are highly recommended. Juicy, tasty and what more, dirt cheap.

2. Chilka onwards till you cross into AP - Mostly good save for the many small towns and villages in between. Lots of bikers going wrong way, cows and goats jumping into the road from the divider, rash driving by the local vans and buses - watch out for these.

3. AP - OD crossing - this one is a pain. There'll be queues of trucks occupying most of the road here for their checking. You have to snake through and at times, go the wrong way.

4. Icchapuram - Vizag - smooth all through. Beautiful coastal Andhra views.

5. Vizag crossing - this will incur some time like any such major city will. Straight road. Watch out for the sudden traffic barricades placed in the right most lane. Very poorly planned and I saw lots of vehicles suddenly having to squeeze into the left lane.

6. Vizag till Rajahmundry - Again, beautiful views and silky smooth roads.

7. Rajahmundry to Vijaywada - Smooth roads. Odd bad patches as you get closer to Vijaywada.

8. Crossing Vijaywada - bit of a pain. There's this bridge you have to cross which normally has some traffic jams leading to it. Roads are also bad within Vijaywada.

9. Vijaywada - Hyd - an absolute beauty. Just breeze through. Also, if you are going towards Gachibowli / Hitech, then do not miss getting onto the ORR about 30 kms out of Hyd (right after you cross Ramoji Film City on your left). And then, get a red carpet (ORR) welcome into Hyderabad.

Quote:
Also Hyderabad guys do let me know if a WB number plate would attract unwanted attention of the cops when in Hyderabad(would be there only for a week). My movements in Hyderabad would be restricted to Hitech City/Gacchibowli/Lingampally areas.
I did not get stopped even once in my two weeks stay at Kolkata with AP number plate. In any case, do retain all the toll tickets and show them to the cop if you are stopped. Also, make sure your other papers are in order. Hyd traffic cops are a little stricter than the ones up in the east, but they won't unnecessarily harass you.
devnull is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 21:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

whether you would get stopped or not is a million dollar q.retain all documentary proof that you have just come in and that you are here only for a week . usually the traffic cops are reasonable.
Old 11th September 2013, 12:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Keep all the toll receipts etc. that you pay on your way to Hyderabad. That will help you to prove that you are in the city only for a short duration.
Old 11th September 2013, 12:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The maximum intensity of checking for other state vehicles is in the areas you've mentioned, as most IT people work there, and are easy prey. But as long as you show your toll receipts, you are safe. Make sure you have all your original docs, including pollution certificate for your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post

1. BBSR to Chilka - silky smooth. Beautiful views too. Do stop near the lake where you'll find the road cutting in between two hills. There's an awesome view of the lake and if you wait for a while, you might be lucky to spot a train screaming through the lake which makes for a great photo opp.
Hey, that's the viewpoint from Rambha ghat. You've stirred nostalgic memories. My grandpa always used to stop his Amby there and encourage us to stretch our legs and enjoy the view. We did it countless times.

I am not sure how the view is, now that the road has been 4-laned. I guess both roads are not contiguous.

Thanks for the route update, Devnull.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:08   #28
Team-BHP Support

Ok... for all those planning to do Hyd-Kol route now or in future here is an update. I did this route some 3 months back. The world has changed, and how! I was dreading my entry into Odisha after the smooth highways of AP (past experiences) but it all turned out to be mere apprehensions. Someone used a magic brush and presto the roads in Odisha have changed for good.

In fact I drove to a friend's place in Berhampore in Odisha on the first evening (starting from Hyd at 6.30 am). The next day I started early from Berhampore at around 6.00 am expecting a long, tiring day through the dust bowls of Odisha (from my past epxeriences). As it turned out I had a bit late lunch at 2.30pm at home in Kolkata!!!
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 13:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hey, that's the viewpoint from Rambha ghat. You've stirred nostalgic memories. My grandpa always used to stop his Amby there and encourage us to stretch our legs and enjoy the view. We did it countless times.

I am not sure how the view is, now that the road has been 4-laned. I guess both roads are not contiguous.
Locally its called the Khallikote Ghat, as the small town of Khallikote is nearby. While on small ghat section you can see the turn off for Khallikote town as well.

The views are still great, the extra lane hasnt really blocked the view. The older north bound route is higher and gives a better view. The lower south bound route also gives a view but not as good. Also, it is safer to stop on what is the north bound route now, as there is some extra run-off space near the small temple at the top. Also most trucks slowly struggle up the incline on the south bound route making it dangerous to stop and block the road.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
In fact I drove to a friend's place in Berhampore in Odisha on the first evening (starting from Hyd at 6.30 am). The next day I started early from Berhampore at around 6.00 am expecting a long, tiring day through the dust bowls of Odisha (from my past epxeriences). As it turned out I had a bit late lunch at 2.30pm at home in Kolkata!!!
Things have got really good around a year back, especially the bottleneck between Berhampur and Balugaon. My cousin drove a Swift from Vizag to Bhubaneswar in 5 and half hours, which is quite remarkable when compared to the 8 hours it used to take around a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Locally its called the Khallikote Ghat, as the small town of Khallikote is nearby. While on small ghat section you can see the turn off for Khallikote town as well.

The views are still great, the extra lane hasnt really blocked the view. The older north bound route is higher and gives a better view. The lower south bound route also gives a view but not as good. Also, it is safer to stop on what is the north bound route now, as there is some extra run-off space near the small temple at the top. Also most trucks slowly struggle up the incline on the south bound route making it dangerous to stop and block the road.
Thanks for the update. Gramps used to call it Rambha ghat and the name stuck . I think the old route is south bound. It is the stretch from BBSR to BAM. I may be mistaken though, as I've not driven in that area for more than 11 years.

The incline on that route after the sharp right was so much that my uncle's fully-laden Amby (with a ton of rice in the boot) started rolling back. He was forced to return and take the longer route via Khallikote town to Berhampur. And boy o boy, did he get angry when we started giggling at the inability of the car to climb the ghat!!

And yes, the run off space near the temple is exactly where we used to stop to savour the views.

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th September 2013 at 13:25.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks