Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2010, 13:46   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa trip: Itinerary?

Guys a bunch of us are planning a trip to Goa from B'lore in the 3rd week of Dec and I need your help in planning this out!

Why am I planning this early? It's difficult to get accomodation in Goa around Christmas time and I need to book acco as soon as I can - which means I better get a plan in some shape now!

The details:
We plan to leave on 16th Dec (evening/night) and be back in B'lore by 21st morning/20th night. We plan to drive the entire way - 8 of us in 2 cars - A fiesta and an SX4/Swift.

The requriments:
1) We have all done Goa before, so we are not really trying to cover as many beaches as we can. We are looking for a relaxed trip that's still worth the time spent.
2) We are perfectly fine with night driving and driving long hours (8-10 hours with a small break is acceptable)
3) I was planning on the Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Kumta-Karwar route as I am familiar with this route. I was on this road sometime in July: the roads were decent except for a few small stretches. How are they expected to be in December seeing as they would have seen out the entire monsoon by then?
4) What are the best places to stay in Goa? Budget limit is around 3k per head/night and we would like it if the place has a swimming pool etc.
5)I did the Kudle beach, OM beach stretch long ago and would love to do that again. What's the best way to cover these places? On our way there/on the way back etc. It's not a deal-breaker if we can't fit in these places though.

Now, my question really is, if you were in my shoes how would you do it? What would be your detailed plan?

I would appreciate the help here tremoundously people.

On a side note: Which one would you pick to accompany a Fiesta 1.6 on this trip - Swift ZXi or SX4 ZXi? I can't seem to decide on this. I was a previous Swift owner so am a little biased towards the swift at the moment.

PS: Sorry if I am asking too much here!

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 18th September 2010 at 13:48.
Old 18th September 2010, 16:42   #2
BHPian

I think the preferred route should be the one that you have detailed and are comfy with, i.e. BLR - Shimoga - Honavar - Ankola - Karwar and then onwards.

As far as I remember, the NH17 section, Honavar onwards, was totally destroyed during the rains, but I guess by the time you commence your journey, large sections of it will have been repaired.

I did this route last year, though in reverse order, in my Swift. And the roads were decent that time. The coastal road is very scenic, and you can take your time reaching the beaches of Goa.

For acco, I think your budget of 3k/pax/night would allow decent stay at beach resorts near Baga or Vagator. You can try the Colonia Santa Maria (0832-6657000) at Baga or maybe the Alcove Beach Resort near Club Nine on Vagator - though this one is slightly more expensive.

As for Om Beach, I think it'd be better if you do it on your way back, since it'll help you wind down a little bit from the prime-season-Goa mental state that you may find yourself in. Although, mind you, there is shack right on the Om Beach which I found to be more exotic and hip than many a shack in Goa. It'll also help you break the journey, and make sure you are not "stressed-from-a-vacation" on reaching back.

Regarding the cars, I think both the Swift and the SX4 will hold their own with the Fiesta, so choose the one which has the best ICE installed. :-) Obviously the SX4 will afford you better boot space to dump your luggage, and shopping bags if any, so may be you could consider that.

Tc and have a great vacation.

PS: You are right about doing the bookings ASAP. Both the above places accept online bookings, too.
Old 18th September 2010, 19:39   #3
BHPian

Thanks Roadie; that was helpful.
I took the Honnavar - Bhatkal - udupi route in July and Bhatkal to Marwante, there was literally no road. I hope we won't face a stretch like that in Dec on the other side of Honnavar.
Old 18th September 2010, 19:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Swell! I plan to drive to Goa in November. I was planning to take Bangalore-Hubli-Karwar-Goa route. I guess Bangalore-Hubli road is quite good, because of the tolls we need to pay. Any idea how the Hubli-Karwar stretch is? I did this stretch 2 years ago and found it decent.
I know a place near Calangute beach, that is a single bedroom house. But it will be too small for more than 4 or 5 people (just mentioning this here for the others who might be interested, and can PM me).
I'll visit Om beach while coming back, thanks to your tip!
Old 18th September 2010, 23:25   #5
BHPian

165 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Any idea how the Hubli-Karwar stretch is?...
I'll visit Om beach while coming back, thanks to your tip!

Hubli to Karwar is abt 165 km.

Another thing, if you happen to go to the beach shack on the Om Beach, do try out the Spanish Omelet there, I've found it to be better than at a lot of places in Goa, even.

Most Viewed