Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 09:00   #31
BHPian

Very fascinating story about the old British road from Kodai to Munnar built as an emergency escape route for soldiers in anticipation of a Japanese invasion of south India in 1940's. Read here - Kodaikanal?Munnar Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Old 30th September 2010, 09:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

The links posted by dhuli made fascinating reading, thanks!
Any idea about the progress in building the new road via Vattavada?
Old 30th September 2010, 10:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Very fascinating story about the old British road from Kodai to Munnar built as an emergency escape route for soldiers in anticipation of a Japanese invasion of south India in 1940's. Read here - Kodaikanal?Munnar Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dhule,

Thanks a lot for this informative and engrossing read, enjoyed it. Never know such a detailed account of this road existed.

I am relieved that my memory has not failed, I am so sure we did 97 KMs. As per the Wiki article, its 60 KMs to SH18 and another 31 to Munnar making it 91 kms, 2-3 kms can be accounted for us doubling back when the Bisons charged us, so we have wandered off the track for 3-4 kms only in the forest, may be some of the detours we had to do to skirt the fixed chains on the roads. I think these chains were more on the TN side.

=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th September 2010 at 10:36.
Old 1st October 2010, 00:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
I don't remember seeing any other roads branching off from here on, just the barricaded road beyond the top station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
BTW, 2 kms down the road, there is a left turn to Vattavada.
Hmmm, I must have missed seeing that turn.. My first trip to Munnar, and there was so much to see, I could have done with a dozen pairs of eyes...

Cheers,
R_S
Old 1st October 2010, 01:55   #35
BHPian

@ manavdotcom.. you would had taken the Munnar - Poopaara - Bodi - Theni - Vathalagundu ... (Poopaara = Poombarai )

The most common road used then was the Marayaoor - Udumalpet road to Kodai probably because people had access to Palani on the way to Kodaikanal.

Ramkya ... I agree with you on the bisons (wild gaurs) ... the herd always had a lead and it was scary passing through their territory. But surely two of my most thrilling and memorable Bike trips
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The links posted by dhuli made fascinating reading, thanks!
Any idea about the progress in building the new road via Vattavada?
i tried this route but returned back to munnar after seeing the road condition. and it was raining heavily on those days. it was in the last week of april this year.
Attached Thumbnails
munnar to kodaikanal- thro the forest-201003040237502.jpg  

munnar to kodaikanal- thro the forest-201003040259541.jpg  

munnar to kodaikanal- thro the forest-201003040237501.jpg  

munnar to kodaikanal- thro the forest-201003040237011.jpg  

i.1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
i tried this route but returned back to munnar after seeing the road condition. and it was raining heavily on those days. it was in the last week of april this year.
Wow! Your pictures reveals what a challenge it is, albeit the 90 odd km distance. Guess some of the serious off roading folks here may drool over this. There is a blog too that I read about - it is considered a major trekking route. If you search for "trekking+Kodai+Munnar" you will find amazing stories of people on foot from serious trekkers be it Chennai Trekkers Club or Bangalore Mountaineering Club. Read this one - My Travelogue: Kodai to Munnar where the old asphalt tracks had disappeared. In another blog some trekkers actually lost their way. BTW, most of these trekkers pitch camps at old abandoned buildings perhaps 50 years old!

That said, i1979, from your pics it appears you were travelling alone. If that is so, I am told, never venture off on a off road adventure alone. Make sure there is someone who can help if one is stuck. Second, have a winch or at least a strong rope. Good advice I think.
dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Wow......... this looks like a terror trail.

When we did this way back, the trail was much better, most of 60 kms we got drivable patches, a few places with water, slush and stones was OK for the Yezdis and their GC was one the best at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post

Last edited by ramkya1 : 2nd October 2010 at 22:30.
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Wow......... this looks like a terror trail.

When we did this way back, the trail was much better, most of 60 kms we got drivable patches, a few places with water, slush and stones was OK for the Yezdis and their GC was one the best at the time.
Ramky, I think what i.1979 is talking about is the new Vattavada route. What you and I did in mobikes is the old route. I faced much worse tracks, the track was overgrown, hardly travelled on and had lots of slush and rubble.
Old 6th October 2010, 10:28   #40
BHPian

hvk sir,
yes i was referring the new route through vattavada which is under construction. i planning to try this route again from the other end this time. just to know how much did they completed from the other end.
Old 15th October 2010, 09:19   #41
BHPian

i don't know whether i can post other blog links in this forum, but go to this link it gives a better picture/ idea about the road through vattavada, kilaverai
Nature Enthus - DLC: 08/01/2009 - 09/01/2009
Old 15th October 2010, 10:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is a superb trail. Have trekked some distance from Berijam to Top Station in 2006/7.

The road was closed officially and we needed to get forest department permission to trek!

You could hear many birds!

Apparently, my dad has done this trail in his Ideal Jawa in 1962!!!!
Old 7th July 2016, 18:59   #43

Munnar - Top Station - Kodaikanal

Just wondering if anyone has been this route in recent times and if its still possible by motorcycle or 4wd vehicle ?
Old 7th July 2016, 20:37   #44
Team-BHP Support

Re: Munnar - Top Station - Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspeed View Post
Just wondering if anyone has been this route in recent times and if its still possible by motorcycle or 4wd vehicle ?
This is under forest officials control and no it is not viable to use bikes and 4x4 if one is planning on a lone expedition.
Old 7th July 2016, 22:13   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: munnar to kodaikanal- thro the forest

The old Potato Road.
Not really been properly motor able except by Bike or Tractor or 4x4 Jeep for the last 40 odd years to my knowledge...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks