Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 10:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
gps log of Marayoor-kandalur-Kundala Dam- Top Station- Vattavada.
Hey that's a beautiful route. How good are the roads?
Old 10th September 2010, 13:50   #32
BHPian

the six kilometer road through the anamudi sholai (in between kanthalloor & kundala Dam) is so bad. we require 4X4 vehicles to cover this stretch. Kundala dam to koviloor has one of the best road.
Old 26th September 2010, 14:33   #33
BHPian

Post your GPS logs/tracks here!

Hi,

I was on an evening flight from Thiruvananthapuram to Mumbai and used my GPS enabled ASUS P527 to make this GPS track from Take off to landing.

This is the screen of my ASUS with the GPS program running.
Post your GPS logs/tracks here!-gps.jpg

The GPS track as seen in Google Earth. Click gpsraja-trivandrum-mumbai flight.kml to download the .kml and view it locally in Google Earth.
Post your GPS logs/tracks here!-gps1.jpg

And here are some pics taken with my humble SONY DSC-S730. Please note the change in lighting as we approach dusk.
Post your GPS logs/tracks here!-wing1.jpg
Post your GPS logs/tracks here!-wing2.jpg
Post your GPS logs/tracks here!-wing3.jpg
Old 26th September 2010, 19:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is a nice idea. I always have my Garmin 60csx in my laptop back when I am flying, however I never thought of switching it on and mapping it.
Will surely try it the next time I am on a flight.
Cheers
Old 26th September 2010, 19:20   #35
BHPian

Great idea - though you should need to get a window seat to initially lock in, is that right?
Old 26th September 2010, 19:49   #36
BHPian

it sounds adventurous but dont you think you shudn't be doing it

all wireless devices and even electronics be switched off.....its illegal if I am not wrong...except when allowed in the flight...and even then wireless devices/satellite devices are not allowed...
Old 26th September 2010, 19:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

@Rajismine - Yes you're right; but from what I experienced, there's a separate announcement or instructions, rather, during take off & landing only. Once the flight takes off, as there're instructions to unfasten the seat belts as well as to switch on the electronic instruments. So I guess K.Raja did in accordance to it.
Old 26th September 2010, 19:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
This is a nice idea. I always have my Garmin 60csx in my laptop back when I am flying, however I never thought of switching it on and mapping it.
Will surely try it the next time I am on a flight.
Cheers
I'm sure you meant 'laptop bag'.
A word of caution - Passengers are requested to refrain from using mobile phones and laptops during take off and landing. The ASUS allows switching off of phone functions while keeping the GPS on. Hope we are not inadvertently violating any rules by using GPS on board.
Old 26th September 2010, 20:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
it sounds adventurous but dont you think you shudn't be doing it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Rajismine - Yes you're right; but from what I experienced, there's a separate announcement or instructions, rather, during take off & landing only. Once the flight takes off, as there're instructions to unfasten the seat belts as well as to switch on the electronic instruments. So I guess K.Raja did in accordance to it.
Strictly speaking, I think I did violate the rule since my GPS was on during take off & landing. But I felt using the GPS while keeping the phone function of the ASUS switched off would be safe. I could be wrong though.
I think its advisable to rather not use the GPS in flight until we are certain that its safe to do so.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yes I meant Laptop bag.
Further I have a separate GPS unit which is a standalone GPS. I will specifically ask for permission before I use the device. As a matter of practice I always uncheck the mobile network coverage, WI-FI and bluetooth options while in flight after which the mobile becomes like any other electronic instrument like an ipod or a laptop.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Unless you were flying the plane or had your car fitted with wings which flew to Mumbai , this is the wrong forum.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Unless you were flying the plane or had your car fitted with wings which flew to Mumbai , this is the wrong forum.
@pranavt: Before posting I did a search for GPS and found many threads in this forum. Realised it soon enough that the thread should ideally be in Shifting Gears> Gadgets, Software & Computers. Don't know how to relocate. Have requested MODS to shift it there.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:51   #43
Team-BHP Support

Any device communicating through RF outside the Aircraft should not be used while on flight. I think that is a strict rule.
Old 26th September 2010, 22:02   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

GPS only receives, it does not transmit anything, so I don't see how it could interfere with anything. I wouldn't like to have to explain that to cabin crew, though.

I've tried using my Nokia N82 by the window on a flight to London, but it was only occasionally getting a lock, so I gave up.
Old 26th September 2010, 22:07   #45
Team-BHP Support

I did this during a couple of flights.
Its very fascinating to watch the speed climb upto 800+ kmph. And I was using my offline maps in Satguide.
So when I came back, I tried to track it back on google maps. It was a nice time pass on an otherwise busy office day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks