Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 10:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Refunds after Hotel cancellation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
do PM me your hotels booking ID. Why i ask, i have worked with MMT in the past and still have a few friends there who would love to know where is the process gap.
Received the refund! (for Hotel).

This is the first time I had booked/cancelled on MMT and I was concerned after reading many horror stories on the net, and as the amount involved was around Rs.15,000 I was having sleepless nights!

Thanks for your help.

Now I will start using MMT for all my future bookings!
Old 6th September 2013, 17:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Makemytrip reliable for travel?

I recently had a very unsatisfactory experience with make my trip (MMT).

I had booked 3 rooms in Trident Udaipur for 3 days through MMT, atleast a month before the date of travel. This booking was part of a week long family vacation which also included stay in Jaipur, both while coming from and going to Udaipur. I had also booked the stay in Jaipur on both occasions through MMT. In totality, my booking transactions were worth Rs70k.

Since I am a freelancer, I never know when I land up with work. On August 9th, I received some work which stretched for a month and overlapped with the first two days of my planned vacation. I decided to take up the project and called MMT to postpone my booking in Udaipur by a week. Luckily, at that time I had not decided on what route I would take to Udaipur, so booking for Jaipur were not done. MMT officers were unable to act on my request and instead put me on the direct line with Trident booking officer. After some back and forth, Trident team agreed to forward the booking dates by a week without charging any fees. I was also told that I need to initiate a new request with MMT to complete the formalities. I received this decision of Trident towards the end of day, and thought to contact MMT the next day.

The next day started with an email that I received, which stated that the prospective project has been cancelled. Meanwhile, I also got a call from MMT updating me about the hotel's decision to change my booking dates. Without much ado I called MMT and asked them to not to go ahead with the change in my hotel booking dates. The officer at the other end, patiently listened to me and assured me that no changes would be done. I was still a little apprehensive since this conversation was happening three way, and called up MMT again to confirm my status. They reiterated, that they would not proceed ahead with the date change.

Subsequently I made more calls to MMT on the 13th, 15th, 17th and 22nd to confirm the status of my booking in Trident, Udaipur. Two of these calls I made, were just to reconfirm that everything was ok and that no dates have been altered. The other two calls were made for hotel reservations in Jaipur. All along, I also continued to get SMS and email confirmations regarding my booking in Trident, Udaipur.

On the morning of 24th, when I began my journey from Jalandhar, I received two separate & unrelated SMS confirmations of my booking in Jaipur that very day and my subsequent hotel stay in Udaipur starting from 26th. Me & my family were enjoying our day in Jaipur, when on the 25th, around 11.30 am in the morning I got a call from MMT saying that my booking in Trident Udaipur is confirmed from September 6th. At first, I thought this was nothing serious and just some confusion at MMT end. But I soon analyzed the situation and was sure that my worst fears have come true and MMT have botched my booking dates.

What followed was, frantic calls to MMT to make them aware of the problem and devise a solution. I risked the 50k booking amount as well as a ruined holiday. On their part each MMT officer would greet me, hear me out, and then would request me to be on hold as they fetch the case details. I would be on hold for at least 10 minutes waiting for the the officer to come back on line and explain their side of the story. The officers would then put me on hold for another 10 minutes, as they would try to speak to the hotel team in the background. The call would finally end with the MMT officer expressing regret that Trident cannot accommodate us on the planned dates as they are fully booked, and that they realize their folly and would do something so that I can continue with my onward journey. I was also assured of a call back in the next 20 minutes. I made about 6-8 such calls to MMT that day, and this pattern was repeated each time.

I made the last call at 11 pm in the night and some harsh words ensured a call back for the first time & the agent on the phone assured me of a booking in a similar or a higher category hotel before 8am next day. In between he also talked of a full refund if I chose to cancel. Next morning we had planned to leave for Udaipur by 10am. I started expecting a call from MMT as early as 7.30 am. Soon it was 8 and by 8.30 am I had lost my patience. I called MMT, with almost the sole aim to pass a murder threat to its CEO. Anyways, better sense prevailed and I was greeted by a woman, who seemingly had just got up from bed. She started to follow the routine mentioned above. And instead of asking me to be on hold for 3 minutes, asked me to be on hold for 3 hrs.

I disengaged & called up MMT again and gave an earful to the guy who choose to attend to me. Embarrassed & ruffled, he hooked me to a senior guy, who further put me on line to a level more senior. This senior guy put me on hold for a few minutes and returned to offer me an alternate reservation in Hotel Lalit, Udaipur for Rs 3k extra. While babbling out the details, he mentioned it differed from Trident in one way that it didn't have a swimming pool. I had, had enough & plainly asked him to cancel my bookings and refund the full amount. This was like music to his ears and he jumped at the opportunity. Such was the joy of the MMT team that within 5 minutes of having ended the conversation, I got a call back confirming my cancellation and full refund. And moments later I was bombarded by similar confirmatory SMS & email.

One of the few benefits of a carefree nature in modern times is that you have the potential to remain unaffected from what happens around you. So all this while I continued to enjoy my time with family in Jaipur and persevered with those calls made to MMT. My family were blissfully unaware of the happenings. After that last call to MMT @ 11 pm in the night on 25th, I had almost made my mind to cancel the bookings with MMT and do something on my own.

So I confided with my wife and at 11.30 pm I rang up Leela reservations. Luckily they had an offer going on which gave one room on a complementary basis for every 2 rooms booked and they combined it with a third night complementary if I booked for 2 nights. With this, they matched the Trident offer but charged 30K extra. I pondered over it for a few minutes and decided to go ahead with the booking with Leela. I requested the good lady over the phone to please hold on to my booking till 9am next morning. She was hesitant at first, but obliged later.

This vacation was special to me because of my mother who was traveling with us. That was the reason that I choose to stay in a five star resort (Trident). God only helped me by pushing me to stay in an even grander locale -the Leela, Udaipur. It was among the best three days we spent together in a long long time. We were pampered like nobody's business. Now that I look back those, those extra 30k spent feel like peanuts in front of the time we experienced!

But yes, no thanks to MMT and I have already leaped onto Agoda.com!

Last edited by rrsteer : 6th September 2013 at 17:24.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:22   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I recently had a very unsatisfactory experience with make my trip (MMT).

I had booked 3 rooms in Trident Udaipur for 3 days through MMT, atleast a month before the date of travel. This booking was part of a week long family vacation which also my journey from Jalandhar, I received two separate & unrelated SMS confirmations of my booking in Jaipur that very day and my subsequent hotel stay in Udaipur starting
I disengaged & called up MMT again and gave an earful to the guy who choose to attend to me. Embarrassed & ruffled, he hooked me to a senior guy, who further put me on line to a level more senior. This senior guy put me on hold for a few minutes and returned to offer me an alternate reservation in Hotel Lalit, Udaipur for Rs 3k extra. While babbling out the details, he mentioned it differed from Trident in one way that it didn't have a swimming pool. I had, had enough & plainly asked him to cancel my Leela, Udaipur. It was among the best three days we spent together in a long long time. We were pampered like nobody's business. Now that I look back those, those extra 30k spent feel like peanuts in front of the time we experienced!

But yes, no thanks to MMT and I have already leaped onto Agoda.com!
How perfectly horrible!

May I suggest you use Booking.com? They are by far the best I have experienced these last few years.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:27   #19
BHPian

If dealing with MMT - never call their customer care number. Takes forever to get a resolution through that channel.

It is best to post on their facebook page - you usually get a call back within 1-2 hrs from senior customer service chaps and they can actually make things happen smoothly.
Old 6th September 2013, 19:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

I only use MMT as I can redeem my payback points. The most recent booking experience was sad, i booked a flight ticket and I see that after a week, they have slashed their prices, whereas the people who book the tickets earlier should be given that benifit. The airlines did not reduce it, it was something that MMT did. Anyways, I will still stick to them just for the fact that I do get a discount based on my payback points.
Old 6th September 2013, 22:55   #21
BHPian

If booking with mmt i use the 5 rs booking option mostly ,no other online booking portal has that i think,The cancellation credits have been done without any delay by them ,all depends on case to case basis i suppose.
Old 21st April 2014, 17:13   #22
BHPian

Does someone has recent experience with makemytrip international holidays. I am interested in one of their Europe group tours and looking for feedbacks.
Old 2nd January 2016, 20:53   #23
BHPian

I was on a road trip from Delhi to Jaisalmer during this year end vacation. It was my first long distance trip with lots of stops, the idea was to enjoy the whole trip. With good number of days leave in hand we just took it easy. As we were not very sure where exactly we will end the day no prior bookings were made. Near evening each day we would book a room to stay at each stop.
My wife used to read the reviews and book from her mobile phone.
Overall the trip was super nice, we enjoyed a lot.
Like they say each trip leaves you wiser. I would like to share with the forum three instances which were not so good hoping others will be able to avoid these mistakes.

1- Hotel Tokyo Palace at Jaisalmer city :

On our way to Jaisalmer we tried booking a number of 4 star hotels but almost every one was booked or were exuberantly priced, while searching we found this hotel with nice pictures posted on the net. There was like 500 good reviews of this hotel on makemytrip and Trip Adviser so we booked a room. On reaching the hotel we found that it was situated in a small messy road with no private parking, bad rooms and pathetic food. We had already paid Rs 3000 for a room not worth over Rs 800. As it was already 9.00 pm we choose to stay there in the night and leave early morning.
Moral of the story ... Even Trip Adviser and makemytrip rating are manipulated so don't singularly rely on them read travelogue section of Team BHP

2- HP PETROL PUMP - BAGHELA FILLING STATION Village Kalran Bhitadi, NH-15, Near Phalodi Tehsil Phalodi Jodhpur, Rajasthan 342301

On my return journey, we decided to use a different route, so from Pokhran instead of going towards Jodhpur city we went towards Bikaner. My fuel tank was only 1/4 filled so I thought that I would fill up and landed on this H.P petrol pump. On seeing my DL number plate the attendant told me that they have only little petrol left and if I wanted some then I will have to pay Rs 200/L for it.
As I had 1/4 tank full , I refused and left after warning them that I will report the matter to H.P which I did on my return . Did not escalate the confrontation further as I was a total stranger to the area.
Moral of the story - Plan your fuel stops well or you will be at the mercy of these black marketers.

3 - Makemytrip leaves me stranded in Jaipur

It was around 10.00 pm when we entered Jaipur. I was happy that I had a confirmed booking in hotel Zone by The Park. After driving continuously for 600 km my head was spinning as I parked my car and walked up to the reception and got the shock of my life "There is no room vacant" . "Well I have a confirmed booking for which I already paid good money" I told them. They told me to sort things out with makemytrip. Then started lots of dialing and listening to crap " press 1" and "2 to go to main menu" . It could not have been worse , cold winter night, tourist rush dead tired and now no hotel room in an unfamiliar city. Finally the manager at the hotel called some nearby hotels to arrange for a room. Paid double the price for the room but simply had no energy left to do any thing else.

Moral of the story: Even if you have a confirmed booking on makemytrip and you have paid for it also, it does not mean you are going to get a room when you reach the hotel.
mustang 99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 08:04   #24
BHPian

I've been using cleartrip for making flight and hotel bookings for almost 5-6 years. Never had a bad experience till date. After booking a hotel, I call up the hotel to confirm the booking before embarking on the trip. This helps to avoid any issue when you land up at the hotel
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post
I've been using cleartrip for making flight and hotel bookings for almost 5-6 years. Never had a bad experience till date. After booking a hotel, I call up the hotel to confirm the booking before embarking on the trip. This helps to avoid any issue when you land up at the hotel
+1 to that, this is a simple process of reconfirmation BEFORE starting on a trip.
Contact could be either by e-Mail/phone etc. but touch base with the hotel directly.
I do this every time I start on a trip, this once saved me shock of being roofless in Delhi late in the night with family in tow.
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang 99 View Post
Even Trip Adviser rating are manipulated
Ideally, rely only those reviews posted by members who have a dozen or more so reviews i.e senior reviewers. Most reviews by members who have just that one review are almost always from the hotel team to jack up ratings.
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:30   #27
Team-BHP Support

I will NEVER use these thieves after an experience in May 2015.

I call them StealMyMoney.

Tried to book tickets. They charged my credit card Rs 17,180. Then because of problems at their end, the booking fails.

They refund back Rs 16,731.

SO THEY STOLE MY MONEY FOR MISTAKES OF THEIR OWN.
PATHETIC.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 00:01   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was regular user of MMT services for last 4-5 years, until Oct'15 but not any more. For Dasara vacation, we had booked two deluxe suites for three nights at a 4-star hotel in Mangalore, a month in advance. Also I had followed up with MMT a week ahead of check-in date to re-confirm my booking, which in general I do everytime, and had a solid response of "Yes, rooms are confirmed and all is set" .

On the day of check-in, we reached hotel at 4PM, and we were told there in only one room is available and that too, two level down (read standard room), instead of deluxe suites. After 3 calls and some hot discussion with MMT, they called up the hotel and to arrange 2nd room, and hotel was able to provide us 2nd room only at 9:30PM, once again standard room only. Later on 2nd and 3rd day we were shifted to delux suites. Literally ruining our Dasara vacation.

The price difference between deluxe suite and standard room was almost 1:2. Post return and after multiple follow-up with MMT/e-mails, we are still yet to get the refund for the difference amount. I have given up and decided no more MMT for us.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 09:42   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with the others.

Booked a hotel for the Auto Expo 2 months in advance. On the weekend before the Auto Expo, we got an email from MakeMyTrip stating that the booking is confirmed.

Thought of cross-checking with the hotel - they said we don't have any room booked . After a lot of back & forth (and waste of time), MakeMyTrip arranged another hotel for us.

Learned my lesson the hard way. Best to book directly with the hotel as every hotel now has online bookings anyway, and they readily price match what price you're getting elsewhere.

On a related note, I've never had a problem with hotel bookings made via booking.com.

Will probably use MakeMyTrip for flight tickets, but never for hotels.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 10:52   #30
BHPian

I have used Cleartrip for many years but the last 8-10 bookings, both flight and hotel, were done through MMT. Fortunately for me I did not face any issues with the portal.

In fact I will be making a couple more in the next few days.

Parik
parik_ind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks