Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 11:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kaas - Mahabaleshwar - Konkan coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Oh
Here's another one via Medha which is SH 58, is this route possible ? Or should one go all the way from Mahabaleshwar to Panchgani and Wai, then to Satara on the NH 4/48 and onwards to Kaas ? (seems too circuitous)
Map Link
Medha route is the standard and popular route from Mahabaleshwar to Satara. I have taken it twice 4 years back when it was butter smooth. Not sure of latest conditions but I am quite aware that this road generally remains good to decent. Its scenic too
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 15:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Oh
Here's another one via Medha which is SH 58, is this route possible ? Or should one go all the way from Mahabaleshwar to Panchgani and Wai, then to Satara on the NH 4/48 and onwards to Kaas ? (seems too circuitous)
Map Link
Sorry I almost forgot about this route. Yes, Medha route is an excellent option as Vivek mentioned. Road conditions should also be decent. Do it in day time though as it is bit desolate.

Also I see you mentioning about Bamnoli. I hope you are talking about that Bamnoli which is ahead of Kaas, where there is boating and all. The one showed in some of your route map is a different Bamnoli village.

This is the one which is near the Koyna lake (about 10kms ahead of Kaas lake) and has boating club. Known as Kasbe Bamnoli also.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...5d277e63f98b3b

If you planning to do Mahabaleshwar-Medha-Satara-Kaas-Thoseghar all in one day, it will be a bit hectic. Since Thoseghar and Kaas are on 2 opposite roads. You have to come back from Kaas (22kms) till a junction and take the Thoseghar road (22kms) again.

Also please do not follow the gmaps as is. Please take the road which I have marked in red. The gmaps route goes through some of very narrow lanes full of traffic. The red one will take you faster.

Bangalore - Kaas - Mahabaleshwar - Konkan coast-capture.jpg

Mods, please merge my 2 posts as I went beyond 30 min limit.

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2016 at 16:54. Reason: back to back posts merged
Dodge_Viper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 21:05   #18
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Also I see you mentioning about Bamnoli. I hope you are talking about that Bamnoli which is ahead of Kaas, where there is boating and all. The one showed in some of your route map is a different Bamnoli village.
Thanks! I think I got the place right in the map below.

Quote:
Also please do not follow the gmaps as is. Please take the road which I have marked in red. The gmaps route goes through some of very narrow lanes full of traffic. The red one will take you faster.

Hoping this time it's correct!
Map Link
Old 16th September 2016, 21:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I think I got the place right in the map below.

Hoping this time it's correct!
Map Link
Yes, this route is correct
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 12:06   #20
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An update from our trip:
Experienced heavy fog and light rains in the region so visiting the view points was a challenge as visibility was very low, but we did manage to experience some wonderful drives in fog and rain and also some spectacular views when the fog cleared

Day 1 - Wai & Dhom
  • Visited the Dholya Ganapathi and Kashi Vishweshwar temples (Adjacent to each other) on the banks of River Krishna - both beautiful temples with lovely architecture. The maintenance of the place leaves a lot to be desired, especially around the temples and river bank. Just wish that the place is not lost completely due to human apathy and disregard for heritage and history.
  • The Dhom Dam - wonderful place, it felt like we're in the clouds. Heavy dew drops, light rain, ethereal and surreal! There was just one family visiting there and they left almost 5 minutes after we reached the place so we had the whole place to ourselves and it was nice in the silence all around. The street lamps were all broken and even the main electrical junction box had all wires dangling so i guess the place has no lights at all, we left before it became dark.
    There was some litter around but not too much and I guess the reason for this is that not too many people visit as there are no tourist boards, etc with signage for the dam and I hope it remains that way!
  • Menawali ghat - the place is not maintained well, very slushy, dirty and the river stream is full of garbage on the sides. Again, a lovely place is being destroyed due to humans.

Day 2 - Mahabaleshwar
Very dense fog delayed our visits in the morning so we started around 10am.
  • Bombay/Mumbai/Sunset Point - beautiful place near the MTDC resort. There was not a single soul around, it was just us and there was heavy fog and the place was slippery so we just went around, took some pictures (standing in the fog) and left
  • Lodwick point was closed due to the weather and some work being undertaken there. It was engulfed in thick fog and the security guys asked us to make a U-turn and head back
  • Venna Lake - since it was a week day crowds were less but we skipped the boat ride as we had other plans (for a boat ride at Bamnoli near Kaas)
  • Wilson Point - beautiful place but the fog made sure we did not get to see the views it offers. However, a walk around the place in fog was a great experience!
  • Babington point - the road was very bad so we did not venture there
  • Echo Point, Kates Point, Needle Hole/Elephant Head Point - Accessed via the Brightland resorts road, this is a must-see place if you're visiting Mahabaleshwar. The fog had started clearing and we had the chance to enjoy the beautiful views here. Balkawad dam can also be viewed here.
  • Lingmala falls - another must-see place, a good 0.75-1 Km walk and the pathway has been made very well and can be walked easily. Beautiful view of the several streams of water dropping into the valley below
  • Due to the weather, we missed other points northwards like Elphinstone Point, Marjorie Point and Arthur Seat
  • Mapro Garden - nice place, they server tasty sandwiches and ice-creams, also has the bread baking unit and Mazaana chocolate factory

After lunch we wanted to drive towards Panchgani to the other viewpoints but around 4:30pm, the dense fog made us change our plans and head back to the hotel in Mahabaleshwar

Day 3 - Panchgani & Wai
*Since we did not visit the viewpoints towards Panchgani on Day 2, we changed our plan to take Mahabaleshwar-Medha-Satara route and instead drove back on Panchgani-Wai-Satara route
  • Parsi Point - nice place on the main road itself, good view of water body and hills
  • Table Land - skipped in favor of Harrisons Folly
  • Sydney Point - very nice place, small detour after the Ravine hotel. Again, offers great views of the hills and water bodies, better than Parsi Point
  • Harrisons Folly - beautiful place offers lovely views all around. Slowly getting more crowds and littered with garbage like bottles, plastic bags, etc. When will we start keeping these places clean ?
  • Kaas - the place was vey crowded as it was a weekend and there were mostly just MH-11 and 12 registered vehicles, school buses etc. Even a SRS Travels' KA 42 registered bus!
    Flowers had bloomed but not so much that large tracts of color very visible, it was just small clusters of flowers all around. There is an entry fee of Rs.100 per person but my friend tells me it is only for people in non-MH vehicles since he did not pay and I had to pay there.

The road has been fenced on both sides and there is a parking lot where the road curves towards Kaas Lake. The parking lot was full and we had a tough time parking the car on the rocky surface with wet grass and slush, had to endure tailspins before finding innovative ways to safely park the cars
  • Kaas Lake - beautiful place, just walked down from the Kaas Parking lot
  • Bamnoli lake - several cab drivers at the Kaas Parking lot tried to dissuade us from going to Bamnoli which is about 8-9 Km from Kaas Lake. They said roads were narrow, traffic is more and it would be difficult when returning as it would become pitch dark All others in our group had decided to skip it when I confidently told them that we should give it a shot, thanks to all the reading and pictures on Team-BHP. This turned out to a great decision as the crowd wasn't much and we took a very enjoyable 45 minute boat ride to Triveni Sangam. Again, a must-see place if you're visiting these areas.

Last edited by NPV : 28th September 2016 at 12:20.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 20:20   #21
BHPian

This is information I am looking for, thanks a lot. I travelling to Panchagani/Mahabaleswar on 2nd Oct'16. Do any one has the idea about the Mahabaleshwar - Tapola - Kaas route? -> https://goo.gl/maps/rApUUE2MH9C2

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 29th September 2016, 21:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
This is information I am looking for, thanks a lot. I travelling to Panchagani/Mahabaleswar on 2nd Oct'16. Do any one has the idea about the Mahabaleshwar - Tapola - Kaas route? -> https://goo.gl/maps/rApUUE2MH9C2

Thanks
Rajesh
No this is an offroad. Do not try that. Has been mentioned in previous posts.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 00:59   #23
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Do any one has the idea about the Mahabaleshwar - Tapola - Kaas route?
That I think is pretty bad, got the same advice here on team Bhp and from other folks in Mahabaleshwar.
One option though is Mahabaleshwar-medha-satara which I think is fine.
We could not take that route as planned due to heavy fog on day 2 and we could not cover the places around Panchgani.
Ideally, routing wise you should be able to do Wai temples-Dhom dam-wai-panchgani-mahabaleshwar-medha-Satara to complete your trip.
En route Panchgani you can visit Harrisons folly, Sydney point, Table land, Parsi point and reach Mahabaleshwar. Then cover the places in and around Mahabaleshwar (see my post above for pointers) and head to Satara/NH 4 via Medha.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks