Team-BHP - Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/89966-bangalore-vijayawada-vizag-bhubaneswar-route-queries-14.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by samish_g (Post 3274151)
@sdp, is there any road to bypass cuttack and bhuvaneshwar? Does NH5 pass through these towns? When is the Vijayawada traffic relatively less?

Regards,

Samish

HI Samish,

There is no bypass for cuttack or bhubaneswar.
For bhubaneswar there is some internal road through town you can avoid some traffic but not all.

For cuttack you have to go through the town.

A Bypass is in progress but do not know when it will complete.

Avaoid to cross this twin city in pick hour. Safe to cross this city in afternoon & after 8 Pm in night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samish_g (Post 3274151)
@sdp, is there any road to bypass cuttack and bhuvaneshwar? Does NH5 pass through these towns?

Regards,

Samish

Yes the NH5 does indeed pass right through these towns, and is a major road for both these towns.

As already mentioned, there is no proper bypass for these towns. You can take some other alternate roads, but as of now its just not worth the effort in terms of either time or distance saved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp1975 (Post 3274619)
NH5 passes through Cuttack and Bhubaneswar. I'm not aware of a bypass, perhaps others can comment on it. I crossed Cuttack and Bhubaneswar after 11pm , and while the regular traffic was less, the truck traffic made up for it. Note that heavy vehicles are not allowed entry in Cuttack/Bhubaneswar from 10pm-6am.

Heavy vehicles are most definitely allowed on the highway through out the day. But the really heavy traffic during day time means truckers try to time their journey to miss the worst traffic times. Also there is a high chance of truckers getting caught in accidents during day time, especially due to the heavy amount of construction going on. Thus truckers, especially long tractor trailers, prefer to pass through during the night time to avoid unnecessary headaches.

The 6am-10pm embargo on heavy vehicles does not apply to the NH5 itself, just to the rest of the roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALINGA (Post 3275314)
HI Samish,

There is no bypass for cuttack or bhubaneswar.
For bhubaneswar there is some internal road through town you can avoid some traffic but not all.

For cuttack you have to go through the town.

A Bypass is in progress but do not know when it will complete.

Avaoid to cross this twin city in pick hour. Safe to cross this city in afternoon & after 8 Pm in night.

There is no bypass under construction as of now.

What is under construction is a pseudo-bypass. The NHAI is building a long elevated corridor for the highway with only a couple of points where the main highway will intersect with the city roads. This will be a 4-lane slightly elevated section in the middle for vehicles going right through Bhubaneswar city, and 2/3 lanes of traffic on either side of this elevated section for the city traffic. This project should be complete by early 2015. Mind you this is only for the core of Bhubaneswar city. Thus the highway will continue to pass through Bhubaneswar-Cuttack but the worst traffic junctions will be freed up.

There is a greater bypass planned for Bhubaneswar-Cuttack, but that will probably not be implemented for quite some time to come.

Can anyone suggest a decent hotel at Vizag for an overnight halt with family? Would not like to deviate much from the main highway. The hotel must also have a secured parking space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saurabh M (Post 3301922)
Can anyone suggest a decent hotel at Vizag for an overnight halt with family? Would not like to deviate much from the main highway. The hotel must also have a secured parking space.

Saurabh - This hotel was recommended by Ranjit in his earlier post in the same thread. http://bestwesternramachandra.co.in/

Location from NH5: http://goo.gl/maps/GFkZz[/quote]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saurabh M (Post 3301922)

APTDC is best. A little off the highway at Vizag but easy to find

I agree with hvkumar. You have an option of APTDC Haritha on the Beach Road at MVP Colony (1.5 kms off the highway), or the APTDC cottages at Rushikonda (12 kms further, perched on a hill, offering a spectacular view of the coast).

There is also a YMCA on the Beach Road, close to the Submarine Museum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 3302183)
APTDC is best. A little off the highway at Vizag but easy to find

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 3302459)
I agree with hvkumar. You have an option of APTDC Haritha on the Beach Road at MVP Colony (1.5 kms off the highway), or the APTDC cottages at Rushikonda (12 kms further, perched on a hill, offering a spectacular view of the coast).

There is also a YMCA on the Beach Road, close to the Submarine Museum.

Thanks HVK and vnabhi. I did check out the APTDC hotel on beach road as well as the YMCA on the same line. Both were full unfortunately, on that night.

Next time, when I travel, will try the APTDC Haritha once more, on beach road. If I need to stay at Vizag for a day, will opt for the APTDC one at Rushikonda.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Any one have done Bangalore to Vizag recently. I am planning to do Bangalore to Kakinada next week.

Wanted to check if Bangalore> Tirupati> Vijayawada route is better or Via Hyderabad. Via Tirupati is less by some 150 Kms, but am hearing that Gutur Vijayawada road condition is not good and Hyd will be much faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyb4u (Post 3340780)
Any one have done Bangalore to Vizag recently. I am planning to do Bangalore to Kakinada next week.

Wanted to check if Bangalore> Tirupati> Vijayawada route is better or Via Hyderabad. Via Tirupati is less by some 150 Kms, but am hearing that Gutur Vijayawada road condition is not good and Hyd will be much faster.

Vijayawada route is OK. It is not that bad. If you are able to cross vijayawada before 4 PM it would be better.
I had traveled on this route in August 2013

Quote:

Make sure you consider extra time taken on toll booths considering holidays. People are heading from Hyderabad & other places by road to their native places in Seemandhra region resulting in congestion & slow moving traffic near all toll booths on NH-9. check this link:-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28693455.cms

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer8 (Post 3342455)
Make sure you consider extra time taken on toll booths considering holidays. People are heading from Hyderabad & other places by road to their native places in Seemandhra region resulting in congestion & slow moving traffic near all toll booths on NH-9. check this link:-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28693455.cms

Thanks Redeemer8. I heard the same from couple of folks. I will not take the Hyderabad route, but will take, Tirupati>Vijayawada> Eluru route. Hopefully, there will not be much congestion post Vijaywada in the Vizag route.

Quote:

I did the BLR-VJW route back in May/Jun 2013 and the roads are decent. There was some maintenance after Nellore, but nothing much to cause any alert. I dont know about the shorter route, but I have always prefered this one as its a known route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyb4u (Post 3343179)
Thanks Redeemer8. I heard the same from couple of folks. I will not take the Hyderabad route, but will take, Tirupati>Vijayawada> Eluru route. Hopefully, there will not be much congestion post Vijaywada in the Vizag route.

I have travelled on this road in last month from Ongole -> Nellore -> Tirupati -> Chittor -> Bangalore. Some portion of the road between Chittor and Bangalore is not in a great condition but doable. The same condition between Tirupati and Naidupet. Also one piece of advise from my end would be to have this trip done in the daytime rather than night. The main reason for this suggestion is fog, It would be a bit denser and is a challenge to maintain speed and safety if it is a night drive.

Thanks

I travelled last month from Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar and back.
Roads beyond Vijayawada till around Rajamundry had innumberable small potholes.
Not too bad but does slow you down.

However, while returning on 2nd Jan I could see that some repairs were being done on this stretch.

Vizag to Bhubaneswar was in excellent condition with very less traffic in both directions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnidumolu (Post 3343692)

I have travelled on this road in last month from Ongole -> Nellore -> Tirupati -> Chittor -> Bangalore. Some portion of the road between Chittor and Bangalore is not in a great condition but doable. The same condition between Tirupati and Naidupet. Also one piece of advise from my end would be to have this trip done in the daytime rather than night. The main reason for this suggestion is fog, It would be a bit denser and is a challenge to maintain speed and safety if it is a night drive.

Thanks

I am frequent travelled between Bangalore & Vijayawada.
There is road repair work going after Mulbagal till Nangili which is the boarder of karnataka.
Looks like it is going to be a 4 lane. Once it is completed ride is going to be very comfortable. But from there till tirupati more than 100kms strech and then after tirupati Bypass road till Naidupet it is a single road with out divider but road is good. This stretch may slow down the travel.