Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 15:20   #316
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
The route has been opened but the traffic may be more than the expected nos.
Good point Redeemer

Didn't think on this line. Have to factor in additional time for such traffic pile ups.
Old 15th October 2014, 21:12   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Yes, a friend of mine who stays in Vizag was telling that situation is still quite bad with no power for the last 4 days and it may take couple of days more to restore power. The city is indeed in tatters.

If I happen to take this route provided the day 1 halt will be at Rajahmundry.
A very good idea to halt in Rajahmundry on day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
Hi, I would also suggest you to consider stocking of all essentials ( water, cash , medicines etc). In addition, consider some congestion in traffic en-route as a lot of trucks were detained or lined up due to uprooted trees / debris on road . The route has been opened but the traffic may be more than the expected nos.
Trucks were detained? That's news to me. I don't think that has ever happened.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:02   #318
BHPian

Hi Guys
Any latest update about the road conditions near Vizag. Need to go home for Diwali. The trains are running late by almost a day to Jamshedpur. Updates on road will really help, if i plan to travel by car.

thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 15:45   #319
BHPian

Due to recent cyclone there could be some damages to the GQ after crossing Visakhapatnam. However, last month I have traveled till Anakapalli and the road condition is good except for some stretches between Nellore and Ongole where the road work is under construction. Also the road between Eluru and Tadepalli Gudem is having some path holes.
Old 16th October 2014, 15:49   #320
Senior - BHPian

I just got off a call with my cousin in Vizag. I was told that many buses have resumed service, and her colleagues have reached Guntur and Sunabeda (Orissa) today. So this means the roads have been cleared, but I'm not sure of the condition of the roads.

I guess it would be advisable to delay passing through Vizag for a couple of days.
Old 16th October 2014, 15:51   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Trucks were detained?
By detained, I meant they were restricted / stopped by the Authorities from plying between Rajamundry - Vizag until the cyclone didn't make landfall & cross the region. This was a precautionary measure to rule out any accidents en-route.
Old 16th October 2014, 21:19   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.janghel View Post
Hi Guys
Any latest update about the road conditions near Vizag. Need to go home for Diwali. The trains are running late by almost a day to Jamshedpur. Updates on road will really help, if i plan to travel by car.

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I just got off a call with my cousin in Vizag. I was told that many buses have resumed service, and her colleagues have reached Guntur and Sunabeda (Orissa) today. So this means the roads have been cleared, but I'm not sure of the condition of the roads.

I guess it would be advisable to delay passing through Vizag for a couple of days.
I think the National Highway has been blocked only for one or two days. It must be open now, so I don't think you will have any issues passing through Vizag. But make sure you do not halt there as many things are yet to come to normalcy. Wishing you a safe journey.
Old 18th October 2014, 20:12   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I think the National Highway has been blocked only for one or two days. It must be open now
The Highway is open now, there is no issue being reported as vehicles are plying normally.
Old 18th October 2014, 21:15   #324
BHPian

NHAI is planning to set up control room to monitor CC TV cameras proposed to be installed every 2 km at crucial places on NH-5 between Chilakaluripet - Nellore to check movement of vehicles & Highway Robbery.

http://epaper.deccanchronicle.com/ar...spx?id=1192376
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:42   #325
BHPian

This is a quick reply for all from my mobile
The route is fully functional and in good condition. Most of the bunks near Vizag is operating and started accepting cards too. But better to carry cash. Restaurants are open and mineral water bottles are available.

I completed the stretch on last Sunday things must have improved by now.

Full post is coming soon.
Old 26th October 2014, 15:29   #326
BHPian

Following the trail closely as I have plans to go to my home town Patna once again. Thinking of doing this route as follows: Day 1- BLR to Vizag via HYD. Day 2 - Vizag to Kharagpur. Day 3 - Kharagpur to Patna. Needed some updated inputs on A) road conditions between Balasore to Kharagpur. Has it been re-paved as last year I had reported that roads were nonexistent between this stretch. B) Latest 4/6 lane status between mulbagal to tirupati, and, from nayudupet to Vijayawada. (Important from decision making point of view in case this works out better). C) places to stay in Vizag on NH5, not too far from highway.
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:53   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Following the trail closely as I have plans to go to my home town Patna once again. Thinking of doing this route as follows: Day 1- BLR to Vizag via HYD. Day 2 - Vizag to Kharagpur. Day 3 - Kharagpur to Patna. Needed some updated inputs on A) road conditions between Balasore to Kharagpur. Has it been re-paved as last year I had reported that roads were nonexistent between this stretch. B) Latest 4/6 lane status between mulbagal to tirupati, and, from nayudupet to Vijayawada. (Important from decision making point of view in case this works out better). C) places to stay in Vizag on NH5, not too far from highway.
To answer your questions:

A) The road condition between and Balasore and Kharagpur is bad. It has lot of diversions, if you are stuck in a queue of trucks then your speed will be reduced significantly.

C) falconsnets.in is a serviced apartment which is near by (about 3/4Km from NH5). I stayed there, nothing fancy but clean rooms and toilet. Tariffs 1600/- to 2000/-. Good food but need to order at least one hour prior.
samikc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 20:08   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikc View Post
To answer your questions:

A) The road condition between and Balasore and Kharagpur is bad. It has lot of diversions, if you are stuck in a queue of trucks then your speed will be reduced significantly.

C) falconsnets.in is a serviced apartment which is near by (about 3/4Km from NH5). I stayed there, nothing fancy but clean rooms and toilet. Tariffs 1600/- to 2000/-. Good food but need to order at least one hour prior.
Hi Samikc. Thanks for your inputs. Couple of more clarifications in case you can help.
  • How bad are the roads from Balasore to Kharagpur? Is it totally non-negotiable. How long did you take to cover this route. Also, how bad is the surface condition (craters etc.)?
  • Did you by any chance notice if the "toll gate" at Jaleshwar border is functional? (this has been built and ready since long but not opened up as per my last trip in Jan 2014). Its almost a night-mare to cross this haphazard parking of trucks with no option for cars and other vehicles to move through. We have always lost a lot of time at this checkpost.
Old 14th November 2014, 08:11   #329
BHPian

Hi folks,

This Monday (17th Nov) we are leaving for hometown in AP near Ongole. Initially it was planned on 20th now home minister changed her mind. Me, Wife and 3 yr old son leaving by Skoda Rapid.
Route is Whitefield-Kolar-Palamaner-Chittoor-Tirupati-Nayudupet-Ongole
I have done the same route during August 10th -17th 2014. Any major changes to the route after August?

Plan is to leave Whitefield@ 4.00 AM and reach Ongole@ 1.00 PM with a breakfast break at Chittoor.
Looking for quick updates on road condition between Mulbagal and Nayudupet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th November 2014, 09:43   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Hi Samikc. Thanks for your inputs. Couple of more clarifications in case you can help.
  • How bad are the roads from Balasore to Kharagpur? Is it totally non-negotiable. How long did you take to cover this route. Also, how bad is the surface condition (craters etc.)?
  • Did you by any chance notice if the "toll gate" at Jaleshwar border is functional? (this has been built and ready since long but not opened up as per my last trip in Jan 2014). Its almost a night-mare to cross this haphazard parking of trucks with no option for cars and other vehicles to move through. We have always lost a lot of time at this checkpost.
Hi RollingWheels

The road is negotiable but will slow you down significantly. There are lot of culverts with broken edges there you have to come to slow speed. There will be stretches which are comparatively good.

I am a very cautious driver, once sun is down who does not like to take any risk. So I followed trucks by keeping good distance between them. I choose a truck which was doing about 40-45 KMPH and did not even try to over take it once. It took me good 3.5 hrs to reach Kharagapur.

The toll plaza is not collecting toll, there is a smaller tollgate after that which collects Rs. 50/-. This is where I saw a very big truck pile up. As one side of the highway is not working so I lost time there also. In a nut shell started from Vizag at 5:30 AM reached home in Behala at 11:30PM with ample breaks (about 2Hrs) in between.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Samik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks