Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2016, 12:28   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

I heard from a few sources that Hyderabad-Suryapet-RJY route is good now and I should take that instead of going round VJA. Plan is to go to HYD-BBSR and back. Should I opt for the Suryapet route or stick to Vijaywada route only?
Old 12th October 2016, 23:23   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I heard from a few sources that Hyderabad-Suryapet-RJY route is good now and I should take that instead of going round VJA. Plan is to go to HYD-BBSR and back. Should I opt for the Suryapet route or stick to Vijaywada route only?
Any updates on this? I plan to drive mid-December, so any inputs will be very helpful.

Assuming it is not good, I'll have to stick to the Vijaywada route. It's good to know about the bypass being in good condition there, going by Mashmash's update. But how is the highway between Vijaywada and Vizag? My friend who drove 6 months back was suggesting the 4th brdige route via Rajamundry, but I see recent posts recommending the NH GQ, though longer.
Old 13th October 2016, 16:07   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Bangalore-Tirupati-Kolkata road updates :

Did a Bangalore-Kolkata trip starting Sep 29 with stopovers at Nellore,Srikakulam and Puri.

We visited lake Chilka at Rambha on the way and it's a nice place to visit. I wasn't too impressed by the Tirupati route and most likely I'll take the Vijayawada route while returning.
Hello,

If you can share your stay details and cost please. Also rough estimate of expected toll.

Are you back, which route did you take? Any suggestions, I plan to do the same route coming week.

Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 16:10   #484
Senior - BHPian

Nellore - Hotel DSR , 1.8 k

Srikalulam - Hotel Nagavalli , 1.3 k for 7pm to 7 am

Puri - Hotel Club Victoria, 2.3 k

Toll is approximately Rs 1 per km ,or slightly higher. I'm driving back tomorrow. Do the journey over 2nights/3days instead of 2 days . Don't take the Ankapalle bypass . Don't take the new Godavari bridge either at Rajahmundry.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 13th October 2016 at 16:14.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 16:12   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Hello Guys,
I am planning a trip to Bhubaneswar towards the end of October.
As most of the offices in Blr have 31st Oct (Monday) and 1st Nov(Tuesday) as holidays.
So I was contemplating to start the journey on the preceding Friday and come back after 2 weeks.
Is anyone here interested, so that we can go as a convoy.Will be my first long trip though.

-Gourav Panda.
Hello,

Is your date finalized? I intend to start coming week some point, thinking 20th. Let me know if it works out and we can start together

KD
Old 14th October 2016, 13:28   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Any updates on this? I plan to drive mid-December, so any inputs will be very helpful.

Assuming it is not good, I'll have to stick to the Vijaywada route. It's good to know about the bypass being in good condition there, going by Mashmash's update. But how is the highway between Vijaywada and Vizag? My friend who drove 6 months back was suggesting the 4th brdige route via Rajamundry, but I see recent posts recommending the NH GQ, though longer.
I took a flight to BBSR while my friends drove here. They took the Vijaywada route. I am driving back tomorrow BBSR->HYD. Will update on the road conditions once I reach in Hyderabad.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 17:35   #487
Senior - BHPian

Did the return Kolkata-Bangalore drive over 3 days with stopovers at Srikakulam and Vijayawada. I came through Vizag city this time and not the Ankapalle bypass . I crossed Vizag at around 10am on Saturday and it took over an hour to cross through. There were some 8-10 traffic signals and it was a frustrating experience to cross Vizag. Most flyovers in Bhubaneshwar are complete and crossing it was smooth.

We visited Baruva beach , the Sun temple at Srikakulam , and the Durga temple at Vijayawada en-route. I returned through Hyderabad and the drive was certainly a lot better despite the extra distance compared to the Tirupati route.
Old 18th October 2016, 14:09   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Stick to the highway between Vizag and Vijaywada. Upon my friend's suggestion and Maruti navigation map route, I took the Anakapalli Bypass for Vizag. It was a nightmare for those 40 odd kms. I didn't save any time due to lack of speed on those pathetic roads. I would prefer waiting at the signals than crawling through pot holes.

In Rajahmundry, my friend intervened again and suggested to follow the Maruti map which was passing through the city. I relented and we repented.

Long story short, stick to the NH GQ.
Old 18th October 2016, 14:16   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
In Rajahmundry, my friend intervened again and suggested to follow the Maruti map which was passing through the city. I relented and we repented.

Long story short, stick to the NH GQ.
Thanks very much. So you mean I should not try the 4th bridge route from RJY to BZA and instead stick to the GQ, though longer? Fine then. But I was told the 4th bridge route does not pass through Rajamundry, though it is undivided and passes through a few small towns.

That apart, how is the Vijaywada bypass?
Old 18th October 2016, 17:42   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much. So you mean I should not try the 4th bridge route from RJY to BZA and instead stick to the GQ, though longer? Fine then. But I was told the 4th bridge route does not pass through Rajamundry, though it is undivided and passes through a few small towns.

That apart, how is the Vijaywada bypass?
My experience has been that the GQ, though longer, is stress-free and we can maintain good speeds consistently. Narrow undivided road means local traffic (pedestrians, two-wheelers, cattle, etc) who are unpredictable and have to be encountered with caution. Again, I would prefer a longer route and maybe, 0.5-1 hr extra to travel in peace as I would be travelling a long distance.

Vijaywada bypass is not very effective during peak hours as it passes through the city. It does reduce the number of signals encountered and hence, reduces the travel time. Do opt for it.

Last edited by ashis89 : 18th October 2016 at 17:44.
Old 28th October 2016, 01:25   #491
BHPian

Update: Did blr -kol this week. Took two days . Started Monday at 445 am from Bangalore reached vizag around 930ish. Roads mostly good. About 150 odd kilometers are two lanes. Roads between Ongole and Nellore had some diversions. I just followed gmaps . Crossed Vijayawada around 3 pm and took about 30 mins.
Day 2: started from vizag at 7. Behrampur border had a huge lorry line. Thanks to an AP car whom I followed on other side of road and managed to cross border in 15 minutes. Cemented roads in Orissa, no good eating facilities till kol except on big towns. Several diversions between Bhubaneswar and Balasore and some places I was driving on wrong side and had to do some off reading to get back to the right lane. Post Balasore roads are better but overall not impressed with Orissa roads . Jaleswar border crossed at 8pm in about 12 minutes , there were trucks but they had left way in middle for cars to go. Once in West Bengal there were five to six places where cops were checking the trucks and saw some bribing too. Be extremely careful of two things
1. In Orissa a bike can come from anywhere on the highway. I had two close encounters before I became extra alert. Also saw an on spot death accident of a biker with his brain splattered on the road. Didn't had the guts to click a picture. The locals started routing people to go from other side. Upon taking a U turn to go from other side another local started blocking off the road. Thanks to another car which had some females who were allowed and I just followed them to leave the place or else it would have been a ride back to vizag
2. West Bengal provides excellent highway with six lanes however in the middle of nowhere when one is driving at good speed there is a need of panic braking since there is either no road for few meters or else bushes have been kept in middle of road since there is some crater or something. At night it becomes more scary.
Anyways reached home in North Kolkata about half eleven post getting stuck in truck traffic in Bayan and couple of other places after kolaghat .
1993 kms done in two days so the 2000kms mark is still due

Back post diwali, thinking of taking suryapet -hyd route.

Will update.
KD007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:40   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Update: Did blr -kol this week. Took two days . Started Monday at 445 am from Bangalore reached vizag around 930ish. Roads mostly good. About 150 odd kilometers are two lanes. Roads between Ongole and Nellore had some diversions. I just followed gmaps . Crossed Vijayawada around 3 pm and took about 30 mins.
Anyways reached home in North Kolkata about half eleven post getting stuck in truck traffic in Bayan and couple of other places after kolaghat .
1993 kms done in two days so the 2000kms mark is still due

Back post diwali, thinking of taking suryapet -hyd route.

Will update.
Orissa is notorious I must say when accidents happen on the highway. Long back, I witnessed a similar incident somewhere near Balugaon. There were a number of lorries on my lane, thinking it might be due to some checks etc by the cops and no private cars around, I crossed over to the other side only to realize that there was an accident that had happened and the locals had blocked the traffic. Within seconds they came running towards us and started banging on my car. I quickly sped off in reverse gear. It was scary as hell. Then, with the help of google maps, found an interior road which connected me to the main highway after a distance of about 10 kms. Some other private cars had assembled by then and they followed me through the village/forest roads.

Anyways, how was your trip back to BLR. Do let us know the pitstops that you took during your to and fro journey, if you remember

Cheers!
Rahul
Old 13th November 2016, 10:41   #493

I am planning to take this route on 16th. If anyone wants me to collect specific data let me know.

I will do one of the following:
15th: Leave around 5/6pm and reach Vellore or Chittoor (via Hosur) for night stay. (I prefer not to ride in dark, although for this will have to).
16th: Chittoor to Visakhapatnam (via Triupati, Nellore, Vijaywada etc). I will keep to GQ
17th: Visakhapatnam to Kolkata
18th: Kolkata to Silguri (sh7-nh34-botolbari-dhantola-route)

or
Just leave Bangalore on 16th. I want to reach Kolkata at decent time (dinner commitment )
Old 30th November 2016, 15:17   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Update: Did blr -kol this week.
Will update.
I am starting on this route on the 3rd of Dec'16 early morning and intend to stopover for Day 1 @ Vizag. Plan to start by 3 AM on Saturday Morning and reach before 9 PM at Vizag.
Day 2, would like to start early again by max 5 AM and target to halt over at the famed Chilika Dhaba for lunch (?) and then reach Calcutta by the night of Day 2.

Do you remember of Good and unadulterated fuel stops with Credit Card facility en-route and good place to eat and take a little break ?
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:27   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
I am starting on this route on the 3rd of Dec'16 early morning and intend to stopover for Day 1 @ Vizag. Plan to start by 3 AM on Saturday Morning and reach before 9 PM at Vizag.
Day 2, would like to start early again by max 5 AM and target to halt over at the famed Chilika Dhaba for lunch (?) and then reach Calcutta by the night of Day 2.

Do you remember of Good and unadulterated fuel stops with Credit Card facility en-route and good place to eat and take a little break ?
From Bangalore to Vizag:

Petrol Pumps - Lots of fuel pumps and many of them do accept credit/debit cards. You can refuel at Tirupati or Vijaywada near the city where all the petrol pumps do accept

Food Breaks - I was carrying packed lunch so didn't stop anywhere but there are lots of options en-route. Vijaywada will be good place for you for food stop for lunch

From Vizag to Kolkata:

Petrol Pumps - I stayed in the city and got a full tank before starting. Please note fuel in Orissa is atleast Rs.3 cheaper for petrol and I guess similarly for diesel and from Vizag, the border is not very far say 3-4 hours so you can accordingly fill at Vizag.

You can then fill petrol as you cross Bhubaneshwar, there is a HP/IO on the left hand side just before chandipur detour and you can get other facilities like water, chips as well there. It is a big petrol pump and you won't miss it.

20-30 kms before Jaleshwar you can fill petrol again, there are 3-4 petrol pumps just before border. Would recommend filling here one due to price and second since it will be nearly night time and you won't find many petrol pumps on the Kharagpur stretch

Food - Orissa unlike south does not have many dhabas on the highway so please be prepared for this. In other words, how we get Udupi's etc you might see small places to eat but then i didn't prefer to go there. Managed with dry items which i had carried.

For lunch, I entered into bhubaneshwar (unlike other cities this is not an issue as you can be in and out of city in 10 minutes). Few places, I can recommend are Nakli Dhaba (good food, great ambiance, a little on the pricier side), then there is Mayfair Hotel (right opposite to Nakli Dhaba). I ate in Hotel Swosti (not sure if I have spelled this right), food was average and decent pricing. This obviously, if you don't eat at Chilka dhaba

For dinner, I just had food at home

For what it may be worth, I never crossed 100 and was still able to do it in 2 days.

Sorry for the delay, hope this info helps. For any other queries you can pm or call me.
KD007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks