Team-BHP - Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/89966-bangalore-vijayawada-vizag-bhubaneswar-route-queries-41.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbaraomr (Post 4503940)
I am surprised at recommendation to travel to Vijayawada via Hyderabad since it involves an additional 300+Km.
Any reason to avoid route via chittoor, Tirupati and Naidupeta?

I am planning car trip to Vijayawada 15 Dec 18 so would appreciate feedback on the road condition from Bangalore to Tirupati.

The route via Hyderabad is about 200 km longer. However, the time required is not too different. Main reason to choose was to avoid the slow journey time up to Tirupati and a bit further as well until I got the GQ road. Also, approaching Vijayawada from Hyderabad, would be coming from north of Krishna river, and avoiding the city mainly. Hyd-Vijaywada road is also excellent.

Any alternatives and further suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you,
Paraag

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4503969)
Bangalore - Vijaywada might be better via Tirupati but I can't comment as I haven't done that stretch. Please go through some of posts above where BHPians have suggestions on the best route.

Looking at your suggestion and also the comment from Subba Rao, I also researched other posts and the Bangalore-Tirupati thread, I am now thinking of this route. Per valuable suggestion from Ashish, will still plan on reaching Vijaywada approximately at 10 pm to avoid the traffic in Vijaywada, Rajahmundry, and Vizag.

https://goo.gl/maps/gid8YT35WMs

This route up to Tirupati avoids the truck traffic on the Chittoor-Palamner-Tirupati route. Will start from Bangalore around 10 am after a good night's rest and drive leisurely to Vijaywada taking a good rest break at Ongole NH-5 plaza. Once the traffic is sparse, it should not be stressful to drive up to Vizag and further.

Parang: I have been researching via Chintamani and Madanapalle ( sentimental place for me since I had studied there in '60s). Roads don't seem to be good. Best bet is go to Chittoor by old Madras Rd. via Palamner. Road widening and diversions near Palamner aside, this seems to be shortest and most reliable road.
Any idea of eateries between Palamner and Tirupati?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraag (Post 4505597)

This route up to Tirupati avoids the truck traffic on the Chittoor-Palamner-Tirupati route.

The route via Chintamani to Madanapalle is not in good condition especially near the KA-AP border. Lot of potholes and speed will have to considerably reduced. Take the route via Punganur- Kallur- Putalpattu-Tirupati. It takes me around 5 hours to do this stretch from Hebbal to Southern spice restaurantSouthern Spice
200 feet By Pass Road Surabhi Gardens, Avilala, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh 517501
070951 33333
https://goo.gl/maps/iub9HiKXZEC2
in a relaxed manner because of decent road conditions. Apart from a narrow 9km before Punganur which slows us down rest of the route is a good.
Travelling to Vijayawada today and will be going to Madanapalle via Kolar. Will update the condition of this route by tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbaraomr (Post 4503940)
I am surprised at recommendation to travel to Vijayawada via Hyderabad since it involves an additional 300+Km

It is longer by 200 km, not 300 km as you say. Moreover, time taken on this route is marginally higher than the Tirupati route. Add to that the excellent BLR-HYD and HYD_VJW highways - total peace of mind. I can vouch for it as I did this route 2 months back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4503655)
Note:

1. Follow Google since it gives good alternatives while crossing major cities like Vijaywada and Rajahmundry. Everywhere else, stick to the NH and let Google reroute to the NH route only.

2. While crossing Vizag, you will get a lot of traffic during normal working hours. But during wee hours, it's a breeze. Google suggests a by pass if you crossing the city during normal hours to get past the bad city traffic. However, the bypass road condition was bad. It was a 50 km long narrow road with heavy truck traffic. I will prefer the city traffic instead (stick to NH16).

A query on the above suggestion for Vizag. If I understand correctly, the NH16 passes through IG National Park and the gates are closed from 4:30 pm to 9 am. If reaching Vizag and crossing early morning around 5 am, which route should we take? Still take NH16 and then take the Beach road to go around the National park or take the Anekapalle bypass? Which route will be better in early morning?

Thanks,
Paraag

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraag (Post 4510074)
A query on the above suggestion for Vizag. If I understand correctly, the NH16 passes through IG National Park and the gates are closed from 4:30 pm to 9 am. If reaching Vizag and crossing early morning around 5 am, which route should we take? Still take NH16 and then take the Beach road to go around the National park or take the Anekapalle bypass? Which route will be better in early morning?

Thanks,
Paraag

NH16 remains open at all times. I crossed Vizag at 3 AM and stuck to the NH16 throughout. Even Google suggested the NH16 route through the city unlike my previous trips, where Google preferred the Anakapalle bypass.

Regarding the bypass route, I used that back in June 2017 when I crossed Vizag around 6AM. Fell into the Google trap and took that road. Single lane for almost 50 kms, full of loaded trucks some of which are in tearing hurry, bad road patches due to the trucks plying, overall a bad experience. And I would strongly advice against that road during night hours. No prior information regarding any miss-happenings, but just a hunch from what I experienced during the day time.

PS: Do let us know if there are further updates to road condition. I will return to Hyderabad in December end and any new information will be helpful.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraag (Post 4505597)
Looking at your suggestion and also the comment from Subba Rao, I also researched other posts and the Bangalore-Tirupati thread, I am now thinking of this route. Per valuable suggestion from Ashish, will still plan on reaching Vijaywada approximately at 10 pm to avoid the traffic in Vijaywada, Rajahmundry, and Vizag.

This route up to Tirupati avoids the truck traffic on the Chittoor-Palamner-Tirupati route. Will start from Bangalore around 10 am after a good night's rest and drive leisurely to Vijaywada taking a good rest break at Ongole NH-5 plaza. Once the traffic is sparse, it should not be stressful to drive up to Vizag and further.

Paraag: My apologies for getting your name wrong ( I can blame spell check but it is my fault☺️).

When are you traveling to Vijayawada from Bangalore?

We are driving on 15/12 and am totally confused as to whether to via Vellore and Chittoor or take the route via Hyderabad though longer.

I am concerned that even if I go via Vellore I am still faced with 200+ km of two lane roads between Vellore and Naidupeta.

Help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbaraomr (Post 4511474)
Paraag: My apologies for getting your name wrong ( I can blame spell check but it is my fault☺️).

When are you traveling to Vijayawada from Bangalore?

We are driving on 15/12 and am totally confused as to whether to via Vellore and Chittoor or take the route via Hyderabad though longer.

I am concerned that even if I go via Vellore I am still faced with 200+ km of two lane roads between Vellore and Naidupeta.

Help!

Hey i would suggest you to take the Bangalore- Palmaner-- Chittor-- Renigunta-- Srikalahasthi-- and naidupeta road. The Road which is being laid from Bangalore to Chittor is almost compelted but you would see here and there some bad patches which is still fine. And from Chittor to Srikalahasthi its a 2 lane but roads are good. i Recently did Bangalore to Kakinada. If you take Vellore road the roads are good but you would be increasing your journey for more or less 200kms more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbaraomr (Post 4511474)
When are you traveling to Vijayawada from Bangalore? Help!

No worries about the name :)

I already see a suggestion about taking the Palamner - Chittoor - Srikalahasti route based on recent experience.

I am leaving on 21st Dec, Friday, around 10 am from Dommasandra and have planned on taking the Bangalore-Hyd-Outer Ring Road-Vijaywada route, and estimate 12 hours to reach Vijaywada by that route.

However, as you are going on 15th, would appreciate if you could update on the road conditions if you go via the Palamner-Chittoor-Srikalahasti-Naidupeta route, and the time taken to reach Vijaywada. If it is much less than 12 hours, I too will take that route.

Thanks,
Paraag

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER (Post 4511775)
i Recently did Bangalore to Kakinada.

SpeedyRacer, if you could let us know the time taken to reach from Bangalore to Vijaywada including time taken for halts, that would be very helpful to us to plan our route. Also, what time did you start from Bangalore?

Did Bangalore to Vijayawada on 4th December via Kolar-Madanapalle-Pileru-Tirupati. Took me 6 hours because of bad roads and traffic. I do the same stretch in less than 5 hours via Mulbagal-Punganur-Kallur-Putallpattu-Tirupati with less stress because of better roads and negligible traffic.
Tirupati Vijayawada is a breeze and takes around 5 hours. Tirupati-Nellore is less than 2 hours and from Nellore to Vijayawada it's one of the best highways to drive. 6 lanes and by passes for all major towns on route it can be done in less than 3 hours easily even after dark.

Drove Bangalore to Guntur 15 Dec 2018, Left at 430am and reached Guntur hotel at 245pm.
Good time (60km/ hour) considering Google gives it 11 hours. We took four 15-30 minute breaks and my son drove most of the time.

Excellent drive but for stretch starting from 116 km from bangalore for about 30 km. Several diversions but no traffic at all and they were not really bothersome.

Before the diversions the road was excellent. Chittoor to tirupati the road was 2 lane and had traffic but was not bad at all.

NH16 had some road work going on for which one direction was closed for a few Kms but this was not difficult either.

One warning on bangalore chittoor stretch, there are lots of speed breakers. Slow to crawl at villages and intersections as the speed breakers are high and can break your axle.

We plan to drive back same route if the cyclone permits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbaraomr (Post 4513092)
Drove Bangalore to Guntur 15 Dec 2018, Left at 430am and reached Guntur hotel at 245pm.
Good time (60km/ hour) considering Google gives it 11 hours. We took four 15-30 minute breaks and my son drove most of the time.

Excellent drive but for stretch starting from 116 km from bangalore for about 30 km. Several diversions but no traffic at all and they were not really...

We plan to drive back same route if the cyclone permits.

We got back to bangalore. Similar timing 10 1/2 hours to home from Guntur hotel.

Alert: While Bangalore to Chittoor will get completed in a few months, NHAI has started work on Chittoor to Tirupati stretch. This may become a bottle neck for next year or more. Additionally NHAI has stopped repairing the present road in anticipation of new so Road quality will deteriorate till new road is opened.

Have been doing Bangalore to Visakhapatnam via Hyderabad last 4 times. Planning to try the Tirupati route this time.

Thank you for the update on speed breakers, have noted it.

Can anyone advice on fuel stops and best place to stop for lunch before Vijayawada?

MaSh

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashmash (Post 4516431)
Have been doing Bangalore to Visakhapatnam via Hyderabad last 4 times. Planning to try the Tirupati route this time.

Thank you for the update on speed breakers, have noted it.

Can anyone advice on fuel stops and best place to stop for lunch before Vijayawada?

MaSh

One can reach this place in around five hours drive from Bangalore.
Southern Spice
200 feet By Pass Road Surabhi Gardens, Avilala, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh 517501
070951 33333
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eyNtQ
The next best option on the highway before Nellore and about 2 hours drive from Tirupati is this
Amaravathi family Highway Restaurant
1, Writersatram, Chillakur Mandal, Gudur, Muthyalapadu, Andhra Pradesh 524412
081069 12919
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NcTyr