Team-BHP - Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/89966-bangalore-vijayawada-vizag-bhubaneswar-route-queries-43.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judemayne (Post 4534755)
Please inform how is the road from Eluru to Rajahmundry via SH 204 across the Dowleswaram Barrage? Or should I follow NH 16?
A place to Stay in the close proximity to NH 16 at Rajahmundry?

I took Eluru->Nidadavolu->Dowleswaram barrage->Rajahmundry route on 7th Feb, on the way from Hyd to Vizag. Compared to Eluru->Nallajerla->Godavari fourth bridge->Rajahmundry route, I would say that, this route is far better during the day time. No comments on night drive comparison. There are very less potholes on Tadepalligudem (after exiting NH-16)->Nidadavolu->Dowleswaram barrage stretch, compared to the other route, even though it is a state road.

I rode from Rajahmundry to Visakhapatnam in a bus yesterday.

Road conditions overall have improved considerably since my drive in a Swift last November. That day the drive was horrendous, especially between Rajahmundry and Annavaram. This time, I could see new surfaces laid and being laid at many places en route. Currently the little remaining bad patches are all concentrated at different culvert bridge construction sites. Majorly between Rajahmundry and Kathipudi. But even those aren't going to slow you down very much and they won't scrape your underbelly like before. Also all the toll gates are now equipped with FasTag. Just that there are no dedicated lines now. The ~200km distance can easily be done in 2hrs 30mins max.

Traffic in Vizag city wasn't intense as it was afternoon. Traffic starts right from Steel Plant entrance till Old Gajuwaka junction and finally reaches a crescendo at NAD junction. The ongoing flyover works at NAD is causing total mayhem. During peak hours, it is taking at least 20-30mins to exit this junction. For people proceeding towards Vizianagaram and further, it is advisable to skip Vizag by taking Sabbavaram-Anandapuram bypass either near Anakapalli or Lankelapalem and save at least 2hrs.

Folks

My pal is on his way from Vizag to Bangalore. He will take the Hyderabad highway from Vijaywada, which was my suggestion. He crossed Rajamundry an hour ago. He will reach Vijaywada around 2 pm or later.

What is a good hotel or dhaba for lunch in that area? And is it advisable to use the Vijaywada byepass, or go via Benz Circle? I know the latter has a good number of restaurants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 4548306)
Folks

My pal is on his way from Vizag to Bangalore. He will take the Hyderabad highway from Vijaywada, which was my suggestion. He crossed Rajamundry an hour ago. He will reach Vijaywada around 2 pm or later.

What is a good hotel or dhaba for lunch in that area? And is it advisable to use the Vijaywada byepass, or go via Benz Circle? I know the latter has a good number of restaurants.

If he is going towards Hyderabad then Kay Hotel at Ramavarpadu junction is a good option. I would advise him not to go towards Benz at this time of the day. After lunch at Kay he has option of exiting on to the Vijayawada bypass next to Innotel hotel.

The Kay Hotel
48-12, 4/1, Eluru Rd, Gunadala, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh 520004
0866 663 5555
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FoY8N

Hello every one. I am planning to travel from Vijayawada to Visakhapatnam in my car in May of this year. I will be accompanied by my wife and 4 year old son. This will be the first road trip for my son.
I have some queries as to how frequently can I get decent restaurants along the route as, with my son, I cannot stretch it at one go the whole distance.
Also kindly update me on the road condition as of now. As far as I know, the road conditions were really good till around 2 years back
Also I am planning to buy one of those car beds which can be inflated. Can anyone tell me as to how useful they are?
Mods, I created a separate thread because I did not come across any recent thread regarding the same. Please merge in case such a thread exists.

Some help to the above mentioned post would be very much welcome Bhpians. I am planning to undertake the route mid May 2019. So I don't have much time in hand.
So please if anyone could enlighten me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drritwik (Post 4570724)
I have some queries as to how frequently can I get decent restaurants along the route as, with my son, I cannot stretch it at one go the whole distance.

No real decent restaurants on the way. You can detour into Rajahmundry town for a food break, but that's about it. In my last drive in that area about 4 months back, I did however notice a couple of decent restaurants about an hour or so before Vishakapatnam

Quote:

Also kindly update me on the road condition as of now. As far as I know, the road conditions were really good till around 2 years back

As for road conditions, no major issues. The stretch from Eluru to Rajahmundry is not great, but isn't too bad either. It will be a fairly smooth drive. Bigger factor will be the time of your drive. I hope your AC is in tip top condition :)

Quote:

Hello every one. I am planning to travel from Vijayawada to Visakhapatnam in my car in May of this year. I will be accompanied by my wife and 4 year old son. This will be the first road trip for my son.
Also I am planning to buy one of those car beds which can be inflated. Can anyone tell me as to how useful they are?
Mods, I created a separate thread because I did not come across any recent thread regarding the same. Please merge in case such a thread exists.

If you stick to the NH, there are a couple of decent restaurants just after you cross Rajahmundry, just where the Godavari 4th bridge meets NH16. For example, check this:

https://goo.gl/maps/ag2gB2Qp5Nz

As of March '19, the roads between Vijaywada to Rajahmundry were being relaid in patches. Due to this, there are large stretches where the top layer has been removed, leaving a relatively smooth second layer of road. There are small broken patches but the rest can be done at 80-100 kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secretariat (Post 4573915)
Bigger factor will be the time of your drive. I hope your AC is in tip top condition :)

I am well aware of that. Will be giving my car for check up in a few days. Thanks for the heads up:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4573998)
If you stick to the NH, there are a couple of decent restaurants just after you cross Rajahmundry, just where the Godavari 4th bridge meets NH16.

I will be needing the restaurants or dhabas to utilize them as a break for my son. Thanks for the much needed info.

The only information pending is about the inflatable car bed. I understand it is not safe to drive with people sleeping like that and I do not advocate such things myself. I always make sure even the passengers at the back are buckled up. But how good is it to stop and stretch out for some time is what I wanted to know. Are the beds worth what they say it is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drritwik (Post 4574326)

The only information pending is about the inflatable car bed. I understand it is not safe to drive with people sleeping like that and I do not advocate such things myself. I always make sure even the passengers at the back are buckled up. But how good is it to stop and stretch out for some time is what I wanted to know. Are the beds worth what they say it is?

I have been using the car bed for about a year now and have no issues. Got it from Amazon and has been our steady companion on all our trips. Both my kids find it very comfortable to sleep. Yes it is a bit of compromise on safety but I think if you are more alert and drive more carefully and cautiously while kids are asleep, it should be fine. Best thing is that kids are comfortable and fresh during long drives

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy28 (Post 4574370)
I have been using the car bed for about a year now and have no issues. Got it from Amazon and has been our steady companion on all our trips. Both my kids find it very comfortable to sleep. Yes it is a bit of compromise on safety but I think if you are more alert and drive more carefully and cautiously while kids are asleep, it should be fine. Best thing is that kids are comfortable and fresh during long drives

Thanks for the information. Will go a long way in helping me to decide for the same.

Quote:

I am planning to travel from Vijayawada to Visakhapatnam in my car in May of this year. I will be accompanied by my wife and 4 year old son. --------
can I get decent restaurants along the route as, with my son, I cannot stretch it at one go the whole distance.

Did this stretch 3 weeks back .

You won't find any decent restaurants once you cross Eluru.

Eluru- TPGudem Bypass - Nidadavole- Dhawaleswaram Barrage stretch is a dry area when it comes to the matter of decent restaurants.

Just look out for a bridge once you cross TadepalliGudem Cross since you need to take a right off the Highway after the Bridge( Follow Google Maps) and enter local roads to proceed to Nidadavole . The road passes through a few villages parallel to the Irrigations canals ( taking off from the Coton Barrage) and is scenic. The quality of tarmac was good though we need to be careful with the local traffic.

Once you enter Rajahmundry bypass, there are couple of restaurants alongside highway.

Again, after crossing Rajahmundry and Rajanagaram, there are few options till Annavaram. As you approach Annavaram, there is one joint akin to Thickshakes on the Annavaram bypass ( No need to enter into town)

Then we have a CCD near Tuni adjacent to a Petrol bunk (HP , I believe...Google will help ) . Watch out for it, just in case .
I had to brake hard as I almost missed it.
Then as you approach Visakhapatnam, you will begin to see many restaurants along the highway.

Quote:

The quality of the road is mostly very good barring a few stretches in between Rajahmundry-Tuni due to some cross canal works ( Polavaram Left Main Canal) , though there are only a few.

The tarmac is new and you can comfortably cruise at three digits.

If you take Nidadaovole - Cotton Barrage- Rajahmundry bypass , just follow Googlemaps. The route will be a bit complex but do not worry . Google map manoeuvres us just fine :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy28 (Post 4574370)

I don't think its a bit of a compromise. Its quite a lot of compromise. One can't beat the laws of physics ... Can we?

Try walking into a stationary wall/pole and you can see the effect straight away. Here we are talking about cars moving @ highway speeds of at least 80 km/hr. Even the safety tests are done @ speeds lower than this. Imagine another moving object banging straight on. The results are usually catastrophic. The relative speeds usually would be north of 150 km/h.

Why not a good car seat? Most car seats from good companies can be used till up to 7-8 years and post that one can use backless boosters. Kids should ideally continue using these till they are above 4"9. I know quite a few wont agree on kids having a good sleep in a car seat.

My daughter is now 7 and is close to 4"5 and still uses the car seat. We travel almost every where in car and have done multiple single day drives of more than 1K + kms. She sleeps quietly and peacefully in her car seat sometimes 3 hours or more at a stretch. There is quite a lot of support that car seats provide much better than any beds or similar arrangements. Its just a mental block that car seats are not comfortable. I have ordered a backless booster and would try it in a upcoming trip to check out if she's comfortable without all the support and can sit/sleep like adults do with the booster. If not will continue with the car seat till its time that she can use normal car seat belts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibedk (Post 4576804)
I don't think its a bit of a compromise. Its quite a lot of compromise. One can't beat the laws of physics ... Can we?

I completely and sincerely agree on this. That is where my "mental block" is in getting that car bed......agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibedk (Post 4576804)
Its just a mental block that car seats are not comfortable. I have ordered a backless booster and would try it in a upcoming trip to check out if she's comfortable without all the support and can sit/sleep like adults do with the booster. If not will continue with the car seat till its time that she can use normal car seat belts.

Agree with you sir. I had similar thoughts earlier. In-fact, kids very quickly get accustomed with road trips, the problem is usually with the adults.

What I did in one of my trips was the following

> Removed the back rest of the rear seat and firmly put in a cloth mat, followed by a soft bed sheet; and then re-connected the back rest. Doing this keeps the sheets in place.
> Seal the seat behind the front and rear seats with soft trolleys (3 in my case, for a tight fit)
> Put the mat and then bed sheet over the trolleys and tug them inside, so that they do not come out.
> Basically I am making a bed at the rear seat.

We used this way in one of our road trips and my kid loved it a lot. The entire back space was at her disposal. At times, wife would go to give her company. Its important to carry lots of toys, surprises when one is travelling with kids, as roads at times become too boring for the little ones to enjoy.

By the way sir, what is a backless booster? Can you please arrange for an image if possible.