Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 20:21   #811

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

I did Bhubaneswar - Bangalore on 6th/7th Sep.

6th September (Monday) -
Left Bhubaneswar at 5:00AM
Quite a few diversions till you reach Berhampur
Roads get better post that. However, we were greeted with extremely heavy rain the moment we crossed over to AP. Maintained sedate speeds for the rest of the drive due to incessant rains till final destination in Gannavaram (Vijayawada)

Took Vizag Bypass - Driveable with few stretches still under construction. Better than crossing Vizag city during peak hours.
The road from NH16 till Kovvur through Godavari 4th bridge is in horrendous condition. With rain, it was difficult to spot the huge football sized craters which can be possibly anywhere on the road. Surprisingly there is Toll collected at Kovvur Toll Plaza which has to be paid in Cash (No FastTag and No UPI). After the toll gate the roads are smooth till Gundugolanu.

Reached destination near Gannavaram (Vijayawada Airport) at 9:45PM

Stops -
  • Breakfast (Home cooked food) at Reliance Petroleum (Parasarampuram)
  • Lunch - One Food Courts (Annavaram)
  • Dinner - Garuda Food Courts - Gundugolanu (Parcelled food for the night)- Special mention - Cleanest washrooms
  • Total time - 16 Hours 45 Mins
  • Breaks - 3 Hours
  • Effective drive time - 13 Hours 45 Mins
  • Total Distance covered - 760kms

PS: My drive time on this day was majorly affected due to the incessant rains. You can clock better times with better weather.

7th September (Tuesday) -
Left Gannavaram at 5:50AM. Best time to cross Vijaywada city and you are welcomed to the best stretch of NH16 in my opinion.
Smooth drive till Naidupeta, the road from there till Tirupati(though double lane with no divider is driveable)
Tirupati to Chitoor is again the best stretches of road you'll drive on this route barring the few diversions.

Reached home in Koramangala at 7:20PM

Stops -
  • Breakfast - N5 Food Plaza (Shark Hotel) - above Tangutur Toll Plaza
  • Lunch - Lunch - London Street - Gudur (Parcelled some excellent Hyderabadi Biryani)
  • Snacks - Woody's - Between Mulbagal and Kolar - Amazing filter coffee to welcome you to Karnataka and keep you going until you reach Bangalore
  • Total time - 13 Hours 30 Mins
  • Breaks - 2 Hours
  • Effective drive time - 11 Hours 30 Mins
  • Total Distance covered - 680kms
abhinabp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:43   #812
BHPian

Reached Bhubaneswar from Hyderabad today (after a stop at Vizag). Will travel to Kolkata tomorrow morning. Looking for any recommendations for a breakfast pit stop. I am traveling with my pet dog and if anyone has any experience with pet friendly restaurants on the way that would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance!
Old 18th September 2021, 23:33   #813
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is traveling to Puri from Hyderabad soon. I suggested he break journey at Rushikonda, Vizag and continue to Puri on day 2. If interested, he could say in OTDC, Barkul and take a tourist boat to the island on Chilka lake. And then proceed to Puri from there.

My question is whether the tourist boats to Kalijai are operating nowadays, keeping the pandemic in mind.

And is is better to break at OTDC, Rambha instead? To my knowledge Barkul is a more happening place.

Request responses please.
Old 20th September 2021, 18:55   #814
BHPian

Will be travelling from Kolkata to Hyderabad this Friday. Plan to make it in one-go without any night halts, hence will be driving throughout night. Will be alone. At night hours would be passing through AP. Any idea if night curfews are applicable on highways especially on transit passenger vehicles. Double dose received.
Old 3rd October 2021, 15:14   #815
BHPian

I am driving to Kolkata from Bangalore starting tomorrow morning. Will be travelling solo via Tirupati - Vijaywada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar - Kolkata.

Anybody travelling on the same route may contact me, we can go together.
Old 6th October 2021, 00:24   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I am driving to Kolkata from Bangalore starting tomorrow morning. Will be travelling solo via Tirupati - Vijaywada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar - Kolkata.

Anybody travelling on the same route may contact me, we can go together.
Hi Saw your post, Few queries, is there a ePass needed when entering A.P and then Odisha. What about return will same ePass work? How many days does it take to get an ePass approved. Do let me know, Planning to travel with family and young kids next week sometime. Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 07:54   #817
BHPian

No pass is required any where.

I was driving alone from Bangalore to Kolkata. Day 1, I took Blr - Hyderabad - Vijaywada. Left home near Manyata at 6.15 am, was in Vijaywada outskirt by 5.30 PM. From there to Lemon tree, a distance of 15 kms was absolute pain. First of all the direction shown in google map was not valid, the places where it was asking to take right turn, there was no turn. Finally it routed me through a road which was waterlogged (almost knee deep) and then to a road where I could travel 1-2 kms per hour due to traffic. It also showed me a route where cars were not allowed.

If you are coming to Lemon tree from Hyderabad, continue on the bypass and get on NH16. take a right at NH 16 towards Chennai and go to Benz Circle. From there take another right to Lemon tree.

Day 2, I travelled till Bhubaneswar. Left Lemon tree around 6.15 and was in outskirts of Bhubaneswar by 5.30ish. Roads were good, except for 10-15 kms around Godavari 4th Bridge, and few diversions on the way to Rajamundhry. Drove through Vizag city, it took me approx. one hour to cross the city. Vizag to Bhubaneswar road is good, except for few stretches and diversion after entering Orissa. Stayed at Kalinga Ashok at Bhubaneswar, good property.

Left Bhubaneswar around 6.30 next day. Road from Cuittack to Balasore is really in bad shape. Balasore to Kharagpur is concrete but you can't make good speed due to uneven roads and craters in culverts. Kharagpur to Kolkaghat road is good but watch out for two wheelers jumping on your path from median. Kolaghat to Kolkata was good road.

Reached Kolkata home by 2.30 pm.

Last edited by sumannandy : 10th October 2021 at 07:56.
Old 11th October 2021, 10:27   #818
BHPian

Quote:
From there to Lemon tree, a distance of 15 kms was absolute pain. First of all the direction shown in google map was not valid, the places where it was asking to take right turn, there was no turn. Finally it routed me through a road which was waterlogged (almost knee deep) and then to a road where I could travel 1-2 kms per hour due to traffic. It also showed me a route where cars were not allowed.
I am sorry you had to face lot of trouble and it seems the GMaps took you for a ride, literally ! Due to the Dasara Festival, there might be some diversions as the road to Lemon Tree goes via the Durga Temple

Quote:

If you are coming to Lemon tree from Hyderabad, continue on the bypass and get on NH16. take a right at NH 16 towards Chennai and go to Benz Circle. From there take another right to Lemon tree.

What you are suggesting is a very long route and it will also take lot of time.

The best and the shortest route to Lemon Tree from Hyderabad is to go straight at Gollapudi Cross ( left goes to the byepass) - Bhavanipuram, Durga Flyober, RTC Bus stand, take a left to MG Road after crossing Krishnalanka Police Station and then take a left on MG Road .

Lemon Tree is quite near the Busstand, Railway Station
Old 11th October 2021, 11:34   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No pass is required any where.
I was driving alone from Bangalore to Kolkata. Day 1, I took Blr - Hyderabad - Vijaywada.
You can avoid Hyderabad unless you have any work there. Bangalore - Chittoor - Tirupati (bypass) - Naidupeta - Ongole - Vijayawada is a much shorter route and the road is in very good shape.

I came yesterday and it took me 10 hrs point to point including breaks (8.5 hrs of drive time for 670 kms). In comparison, going via Hyderabad took me 13 hrs when I traveled in July.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 11:40   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Bangalore - Chittoor - Tirupati (bypass) - Naidupeta - Ongole - Vijayawada is a much shorter route and the road is in very good shape.
Absolutely agree with this. Now that the Chittor-Tirupati section is completed, the extra Kms in hyd route is not worth it anymore, I believe. Infact with proper timing, the single lane section between Tirupati and Naidupeta can also be handled quite easily.
bong_voyager is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:14   #821
ike
BHPian

I'm planning to drive to Puri in December from Thrissur in Kerala. The planned route is Thrissur - Tirupati - Naidupeta - Vijayawada - Vizag - Puri.

The questions I have are:

Is Srikalahasthi - Vizag doable in a day, if I start off early (say 0600) can I be in Vizag by 1900? This is on a Sunday.
Is Puri - Vijayawada doable in 1 day?
How are the roads, I understand that there is a poor stretch near Godavari bridge from the recent updates in this thread.
Any eateries, COCO pumps that are recommended in this route

There is a dedicated thread for Chennai - Puri but that hasn't seen any action in a long time hence posting my query here.
Attached Images

Last edited by ike : 15th November 2021 at 22:20.
Old 15th November 2021, 22:45   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I'm planning to drive to Puri in December from Thrissur in Kerala. The planned route is Thrissur - Tirupati - Naidupeta - Vijayawada - Vizag - Puri.

The questions I have are:

Is Srikalahasthi - Vizag doable in a day, if I start off early (say 0600) can I be in Vizag by 1900? This is on a Sunday.
Is Puri - Vijayawada doable in 1 day?
Slightly long and tiring days, but both these stretches are very much doable. Start early (6am) on both these days and you can reach your destination by 8-9pm including sufficient breaks. Start late the next day so you get ample rest.

Edit: I looked at your journey plan and it is very well balanced.

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th November 2021 at 22:46.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 09:52   #823
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Slightly long and tiring days, but both these stretches are very much doable. Start early (6am) on both these days and you can reach your destination by 8-9pm including sufficient breaks. Start late the next day so you get ample rest.

Edit: I looked at your journey plan and it is very well balanced.
So the roads are good except for some stretches between Eluru & Vizag? That is what I have understood from the recent updates.
Old 16th November 2021, 10:01   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So the roads are good except for some stretches between Eluru & Vizag? That is what I have understood from the recent updates.
Yes, those stretches and you will find a lot of diversions as you enter Odisha due to construction of flyovers. As per my friend who travelled in September, a significant portion of these flyovers are ready/operational while the remaining will take another six months. Also he suggested to avoid taking the Vizag bypass (via Anakapelle) as the roads are bad again.

I should be doing the BLR - BBSR stretch in the last week of November and I can share the latest update just before you start your journey.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 11:14   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Any eateries, COCO pumps that are recommended in this route
for eateries, pls refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5138493 (Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries)
bong_voyager is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks