Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2018, 16:14   #586
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
How about getting off the NH at Ongole and going via Machhilipatnam and Kakinada? Does that help?
No, it does not make any sense .

As it is mentioned earlier, if you hit Vijayawada in wee hours , you won't take more than 20 min to cross the city as you just have to take a straight road.

Even if you reach Vijaywada in busy hours, the max time would be around 1 hour or a bit more since the there are 4 crucial traffic junctions to cross [ worse case] . All the extra effort to bypass Vijayawada through interior roads is not at all worth.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:40   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
How about getting off the NH at Ongole and going via Machhilipatnam and Kakinada? Does that help?
This is a 2 line undivided road passing through several villages and speed breakers. So you won't gain much by exiting NH16. You are better off staying on GQ.

If you are near Vijayawada during peak hours, to mitigate some damage, you can deviate from NH before Mangalagiri. This road ends up on Prakasam barriage. Here you will merge onto Kaleswararao market main road. From there you can take the Governerpet, Gunadala bypass and connect with Eluru road and further.

Or this is also another decent alternative if entering Mangalagiri isn't an attractive proposition.

Last edited by strawhat : 10th September 2018 at 10:44.
strawhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 17:06   #588
BHPian

Folks, need your assistance here. In December, we are riding on Motorbikes from Bangalore to Vijaywada and further. I wanted to understand what will be the best possible route to take considering the road work going on in the Tirupati route.

Below are the options I have figured out.

1. Bangalore - Kadiri - Kadapa - Vijaywada
2. Bangalore - Kurnool - Atmakur - Vijawada
3. Bangalore - Hyderabad - Vijaywada (Adds too much extra distance plus no motorbikes allowed on ORR Hyderabad)
4. Bangalore - Tirupati - Ongole - Vijaywada.

Help much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 30th October 2018, 12:00   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Folks, need your assistance here. In December, we are riding on Motorbikes from Bangalore to Vijaywada and further. I wanted to understand what will be the best possible route to take considering the road work going on in the Tirupati route.

3. Bangalore - Hyderabad - Vijaywada (Adds too much extra distance plus no motorbikes allowed on ORR Hyderabad)

Hi

Any particular reason you have zeroed to the above routes.

the Best route would be Bangalore- Tirupati - Ongole - Vijaywada.

or you can take Bangalore- Piler - Kanipakam - Tirupati - Ongole - Vijayawada( the reason to suggest this is because Bangalore - Chittor road is being laid and has some bad patches here and there)

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 30th October 2018 at 12:01.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 13:12   #590
BHPian

Quote:
the best possible route to take considering the road work going on in the Tirupati route.

Option 1: Kadiri-Kadapa-Vijayawada segment is not well developed and there are very few places in between for any rest stops.
And they cross Reserve forest areas and the quality of the roads is questionable due to the lack of any big towns in that area.

Same goes with the option 2. The roads are not impressive and most of the segments are single lane.

Unless you guys need an adventure trip , it is better to avoid roads from Kadapa/Kurnool to Vijayawada when you are starting from Bangalore.

Option3- Distance increases phenomenally, hence Avoidable.

It is better and safe to access the NH5 to Vijayawada from Tirupati-Naidupeta segment

You can take

Bangalore- Madanapalle (Mpl)- Pileru- - Tirupati- Nellore- Ongole-Vijayawada Route

Bangalore- Mpl is a decent stretch and Mpl to Tirupati via Piler is a good stretch too . Tirupati to Naidupeta is a well-laid road and one can find decent pitstops throughout this route.

Last edited by poised2drive : 30th October 2018 at 13:20.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 11:56   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Were you driving, option 3 would have been a no-brainer but since you are riding, I'd go with option 4. Other 2 options are non-conventional and I doubt if anyone will have latest updates on these.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 12:36   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove from Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar 2 days ago. Since most of the route is common and relevant for this thread, sharing a link of the latest update on the road conditions.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4501509 (Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries)
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:27   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need your assistance here....

I have travelled 85% of the route-1 during Diwali break.
Road surface is decent to bad. A 40km stretch between BLR-HYD highway deviation to Kadiri is bad, especially as you approach Kadiri town. So many speed breakers (number of humps per km rate is dangerously close to Bangalore city humps ). After Kadiri surface is much better, even though narrow with occasional humps. The main advantage is the sparse traffic compared to Bangalore to Tirupati route via palamaner, chittoor.

Big negative: Very difficult to find a decent food joint with rest rooms on this route. Haritha Hotel in Kadapa outskirts (near Mydukur road toll gate) is closed, not sure if it was a permanent closure.

Conclusion: Avoid this route unless your destination is much before Vijayawada.
hillsnrains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 14:24   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I have travelled 85% of the route-1 during Diwali break.
Road surface is decent to bad. A 40km stretch between BLR-HYD highway deviation to Kadiri is bad, especially as you approach Kadiri town. So many speed breakers (number of humps per km rate is dangerously close to Bangalore city humps ). After Kadiri surface is much better, even though narrow with occasional humps. The main advantage is the sparse traffic compared to Bangalore to Tirupati route via palamaner, chittoor.

Big negative: Very difficult to find a decent food joint with rest rooms on this route. Haritha Hotel in Kadapa outskirts (near Mydukur road toll gate) is closed, not sure if it was a permanent closure.

Conclusion: Avoid this route unless your destination is much before Vijayawada.
Thanks a lot for this! It pretty much sums it up. We'll have to bear the road work and traffic till Tirupati then, after which conditions get much better.
Old 26th November 2018, 16:01   #595
BHPian

Check the following thread for the best route to Tirupati from Bangalore.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4486198 (Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries)
Have driven in this route 6 times to Vijayawada since past 3 months and absolutely no issues at all. The best part of this route is lack of heavy truck traffic. And if you are on a bike there are some lovely scenic roads to enjoy.

Last edited by damodar : 26th November 2018 at 16:04.
Old 29th November 2018, 17:51   #596
BHPian

Dear Team BHPians,

Looking for your guidance on this planned trip from Bangalore to Cuttack before Christmas. Plan to start from Dommasandra on the night of 21 Dec, Friday. Route I am thinking is Dommasandra - Shadnagar (before Hyderabad) - Vijaywada bypass - Rajahmundry - onto Cuttack.

Aiming to not have an overnight halt. Will be taking bio-breaks and food breaks as required. Driving a Ciaz diesel. Passengers are wife and a four-legged companion.

Would appreciate your inputs on these queries:

1. Is the plan to drive straight from Bangalore to Cuttack feasible or am I plain stupid and crazy? (I understand it will be tiring. Wife can drive and she can take over for a couple of hours to relieve me. I am able to drive long hours at a stretch, like 10-12 hours. Will take stretching breaks intermittently, and also our four-legged child will also require such breaks)

2. The best bridge to cross Rajahmundry? Godavari fourth bridge or the classic Railway cum Road bridge (Google maps suggests the Railway/Road bridge though this might vary at the time of the day. Read some news articles that the Fourth bridge is not in very good condition and the approach road is narrow).
3. Suggested route to navigate Vizag - through the city or any bypass?

4. Any bottle-necks or tips when crossing from AP into Odisha?
5. Estimated timings: I usually drive max 120 km/h, but more like 100-110. Please provide your experienced inputs and corrections on these estimates.
  1. Plan to start from Dommasandra at 10 pm (after crazy Bangalore traffic has died down a bit, but since it is Friday, all bets are off )
  2. At Shadnagar, Hotel Aashiana, tea break at 5:00 am
  3. From Shadnagar to Vijaywada Ring Road by 9:30 am
  4. Reach Rajahmundry by 1:30 - 2 pm
  5. Vizag by 5:30 pm
  6. Cuttack by midnight
Thank you,
Paraag
Old 29th November 2018, 18:57   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I drove from Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar 2 days ago. Since most of the route is common and relevant for this thread, sharing a link of the latest update on the road conditions.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4501509 (Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries)
You can refer the thread in the quoted post for details regarding road conditions. I drove from Hyderabad - Bhubaneswar on Nov 23rd. Me and my wife were travelling and I was the sole driver. Took power naps and longer food breaks. The 1150 km journey took me 22 hrs end to end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraag View Post
Plan to start from Dommasandra at 10 pm (after crazy Bangalore traffic has died down a bit, but since it is Friday, all bets are off )
As per your plan, Vizag to Cuttack in 6hrs seems difficult as you will find more local traffic in Vizag and enroute through Icchapuram, Berhampur, Khurda, Bhubaneswar.

May I suggest to change your timings by 12 hrs:

- Start from Bangalore around 10-12 AM. Since this would be holiday time, I am expecting lesser traffic within Bangalore.

- Reach and cross Hyderabad by 6 PM. No traffic issues till here.

- Reach Vijaywada by 10PM and take the Internal Ring road (IRR) to cross the city. There should be less local traffic by then.

- Reach Rajahmundry by 2AM and then Vizag by 6AM. Due to night time, you will be able to avoid local traffic in this stretch which I have found helpful in my past 2 trips.

- You can take it slow thereon but can still reach Cuttack for lunch.

I did the exact same schedule in June '17 in my WagonR while maintaining speeds of 80-100 kmph throughout. Since in your case, you both can drive, it will be easier.

Note:

1. Follow Google since it gives good alternatives while crossing major cities like Vijaywada and Rajahmundry. Everywhere else, stick to the NH and let Google reroute to the NH route only.

2. While crossing Vizag, you will get a lot of traffic during normal working hours. But during wee hours, it's a breeze. Google suggests a by pass if you crossing the city during normal hours to get past the bad city traffic. However, the bypass road condition was bad. It was a 50 km long narrow road with heavy truck traffic. I will prefer the city traffic instead (stick to NH16).

Last edited by aah78 : 29th November 2018 at 20:52. Reason: Please only quote relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 20:00   #598
BHPian

Quote:
You can refer the thread in the quoted post for details regarding road conditions. I drove from Hyderabad - Bhubaneswar on Nov 23rd. Me and my wife were travelling and I was the sole driver. Took power naps and longer food breaks. The 1150 km journey took me 22 hrs end to end.
Thank you so much for sharing this suggestion from your experience to avoid the stress of navigating traffic in the cities in AP and wasting time. Will follow this re-scheduling.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th November 2018 at 20:37. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability
Old 30th November 2018, 08:50   #599
BHPian

Quote:
...May I suggest to change your timings by 12 hrs:

- Start from Bangalore around 10-12 AM. Since this would be holiday time, I am expecting lesser traffic within Bangalore.

- Reach and cross Hyderabad by 6 PM. No traffic issues till here.

- Reach Vijaywada by 10PM and take the Internal Ring road (IRR) to cross the city. There should be less local traffic by then...
I am surprised at recommendation to travel to Vijayawada via Hyderabad since it involves an additional 300+Km.
Any reason to avoid route via chittoor, Tirupati and Naidupeta?

I am planning car trip to Vijayawada 15 Dec 18 so would appreciate feedback on the road condition from Bangalore to Tirupati.
subbaraomr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 09:48   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbaraomr View Post
I am surprised at recommendation to travel to Vijayawada via Hyderabad since it involves an additional 300+Km.
Any reason to avoid route via chittoor, Tirupati and Naidupeta?

I am planning car trip to Vijayawada 15 Dec 18 so would appreciate feedback on the road condition from Bangalore to Tirupati.
I did Hyd - Bhubaneswar few days ago. Since Paraag sir had plans to do Bangalore - Bhubaneswar via Hyderabad, I gave my inputs wherever possible.

Bangalore - Vijaywada might be better via Tirupati but I can't comment as I haven't done that stretch. Please go through some of posts above where BHPians have suggestions on the best route.

Most Viewed