Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2013, 20:10   #1486
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Thanks again Parag - it is really helpful.

We would be travelling to north of Mumbai - so the route is Panvel/Ghodbunder/Vasai. We might get stuck in Vashi area towards Thane and then Ghodbunder.

Would it be better to reach Vashi before 4:00 PM and avoid the evening rush?
How problematic is traffic between 8:00-10:00 AM in the Kolhapur area compared to Vashi-Thane?

We will be running at a sedate pace (~70 kmph), due to the bus, compared to what we could do in the Fiesta on its own.

Is the below sensible?

Hubli - Kolhapur : 7:00-10:00
Kolhapur - Pune : 10:00-1:00
Pune - Vashi : 2:00-4:00 (1hr for lunch/breaks in between)
Vashi - Thane : 4:00-5:00
Thane - Vasai : 5:00-6:00

What would be good places to stop for breakfast/lunch?

Last edited by nileshdias : 7th December 2013 at 20:12.
Old 7th December 2013, 20:33   #1487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshdias View Post
Thanks again Parag - it is really helpful.

We would be travelling to north of Mumbai - so the route is Panvel/Ghodbunder/Vasai. We might get stuck in Vashi area towards Thane and then Ghodbunder.

Would it be better to reach Vashi before 4:00 PM and avoid the evening rush?
How problematic is traffic between 8:00-10:00 AM in the Kolhapur area compared to Vashi-Thane?

We will be running at a sedate pace (~70 kmph), due to the bus, compared to what we could do in the Fiesta on its own.

Is the below sensible?

Hubli - Kolhapur : 7:00-10:00
Kolhapur - Pune : 10:00-1:00
Pune - Vashi : 2:00-4:00 (1hr for lunch/breaks in between)
Vashi - Thane : 4:00-5:00
Thane - Vasai : 5:00-6:00

What would be good places to stop for breakfast/lunch?
Since you would actually break this into 2 legs, the Kolhapur Pune traffic should really not much to bother. Its only irritating and that doesn't imply it's heavy traffic. For someone who's driven almost 600 kms in peace the Kolhapur Pune traffic gets on your nerves and tests patience.

That said, go ahead with your intended timings. There is absolutely nothing to worry about this stretch.

For breakfast you can opt for either Sankam or Ramdev in Belgaum which is
approximately 1.5 to 2 hours depending on where you start from Hubli.

Sankam is closer and almost next to the Belgaum bypass while Ramdev is a little interior.

For lunch Pune bypass has loads to offer. Better to opt for what you find on left soon after Wakad Flyover. Soul Curry being one of them.

In another 30 mins from here you'd actually stop at Expressway Food court too and refill the tank of your machines too!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th December 2013 at 20:35.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 16:07   #1488
BHPian

I will be travelling back to Pune from Kerala next week with a halt planned at Tumkur Road (Bangalore outskirts). I was checking for Holiday Palms for 26th Dec night but it is already booked.

Any info on a decent hotel for family with a secure car park just after exiting NICE road for the highway?
Old 17th December 2013, 16:59   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
I will be travelling back to Pune from Kerala next week with a halt planned at Tumkur Road (Bangalore outskirts). I was checking for Holiday Palms for 26th Dec night but it is already booked.

Any info on a decent hotel for family with a secure car park just after exiting NICE road for the highway?
There are no hotels in Nelamangala apart from Holiday palms.

I suggest you drive to Tumkur and stay at Naveen Regency http://naveenregency.com/tum-room.php .

Its on the NH4 service road itself.

http://goo.gl/maps/lZSMp
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 16:59   #1490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Either you halt at Tumkur (Naveen Regency) or you Halt at Hosur.

There is no point in staying anywhere in Bangalore limits and paying up higher in the Electronics City vicinity.

Tumkur to Hosur via NICE is a mere 90 Minute affair sans the Jams at Hosur Check post.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 09:59   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Either you halt at Tumkur (Naveen Regency) or you Halt at Hosur.

There is no point in staying anywhere in Bangalore limits and paying up higher in the Electronics City vicinity.

Tumkur to Hosur via NICE is a mere 90 Minute affair sans the Jams at Hosur Check post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There are no hotels in Nelamangala apart from Holiday palms.

I suggest you drive to Tumkur and stay at Naveen Regency http://naveenregency.com/tum-room.php .

Its on the NH4 service road itself.

http://goo.gl/maps/lZSMp
Guys, Naveen Regency is full for the day I will reach Bangalore. So, will be knocking on at a friend's place at Mahadevapura .

Since I will be coming back from Kerala and will hit B'lore by evening timings on 26th Dec, am a little wary of the traffic situation.

There are 3 options to reach Mahadevapura
1. Electronics City - Outer Ring Road - Mahadevapura
2. Attibele - Sarjapur - Whitefield - Mahadevapura
3. Hosur - Bagalur - Hoskote - Mahadevapura

2nd route looks optimal assuming road conditions will be fine, but I guess traffic will be heavy in Sarjapur - Whitefield circuit.

Pls advise
Old 18th December 2013, 10:16   #1492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2nd route looks optimal assuming road conditions will be fine, but I guess traffic will be heavy in Sarjapur - Whitefield circuit.
Yes second option is better.

There are some hotels of Hosur road very close to Nice road exit. You can check that too in case you need to look at a hotel in Bangalore.
Old 18th December 2013, 12:23   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Naveen Regency is full for the day I will reach Bangalore. So, will be knocking on at a friend's place at Mahadevapura .

Since I will be coming back from Kerala and will hit B'lore by evening timings on 26th Dec, am a little wary of the traffic situation.

Pls advise
2nd option,but be prepared for bad traffic between Dommasandra and Forum Mall with horrible jams inside Varthur.
Old 18th December 2013, 14:59   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While most observers recommend (2), I will not rule out (1) completely. It is definitely MUCH shorter and has better roads (to the extend one can call the ORR a "better road"); plus 26th will be generally a quiet day owing to vacation/holidays and it being Boxing Day. Do you have any idea what time you will reach Bangalore? Your biggest challenge in this route is Silk Board junction.
Old 18th December 2013, 15:02   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
While most observers recommend (2), I will not rule out (1) completely. It is definitely MUCH shorter and has better roads (to the extend one can call the ORR a "better road"); plus 26th will be generally a quiet day owing to vacation/holidays and it being Boxing Day. Do you have any idea what time you will reach Bangalore? Your biggest challenge in this route is Silk Board junction.
I suppose I will enter Bangalore vicinity between 5-6pm, assuming I start from Ernakulam by 6/7 am.
Old 18th December 2013, 15:48   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose I will enter Bangalore vicinity between 5-6pm, assuming I start from Ernakulam by 6/7 am.
You're probably SOL. You will not enjoy Whitefield-Mahadevpura via Kundalahalli Gate or via Hoodi either, at those times. Not to mention passing through Varthur town.
Old 21st December 2013, 11:53   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Drove/rode from Pune to Bangalore yesterday. Latest road conditions as I remember:
Pune to Satara 130 km road surface is not good but not broken either.
Satara to Kholapur road is good but the tar has melted and become undulating but one can maintain good speeds.
Kholapur to Belgaum excellent.
Belgaum to Dharwad B/P one flyover has been completed the other 2/3 are under construction (didn't see anyone working)
Dharwad to Hubli B/P no change good 2 lane undivided road.
Hubli to Chitradurga excellent
Chitradurga to Tumkur One of the best roads I have been on either here or abroad. Tar topped, butter smooth, well marked. All flyovers completed so one can run uninterrupted by trucks going side by side on a 2 lane side.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 23:55   #1498
BHPian

Yesterday did Bangalore (Whitefield) to Hubli. Good roads, best stretch being Tumkur-Chitradurga - international benchmark. Today did Hubli-Pune. Post Belgaum experienced heavy truck traffic. Avg. dropped from 110 to 50-60's. Not at all good or fun for post sunset drives.
Old 23rd December 2013, 00:41   #1499
rv3
BHPian

I'll be taking the Pune > Bangalore trip on 27th Dec. Will post my journey details post that.
Old 25th December 2013, 00:00   #1500

Hi friends,
I plan to drive from Bangalore to Mumbai on 28th December. I drive a Mitsubishi Cedia. I will be driving alone. Will there be anyone interested to join or maybe, drive together? It gets boring driving alone. Let me know if anyone's interested. Will call to fix details.

Most Viewed